Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 09:16:22 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »

Go Chad go  headbang

Save a little bleeding for Dixie Wink

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 09:48:29 AM
tRoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 09:48:29 AM »

97deg F. forecast at 3500feet tomorrow.  He should not see lows below 50 deg (maybe at the top of Bill Williams mtn) -so he will not need much for warmth.  

Ok public geekout time: What would you consider light for this ride?  
For this same ride I narrowed it down to this: I've got my naked body and everything else is ~55 pounds including 3000 mixed calories and 175oz of water and 2 extra stan/slime tubes...

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:52:12 AM by tRoy » Logged

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 10:05:23 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 10:05:23 AM »

Back of the envelope calcs make that sound pretty light.

Water, food, wearable kit and tubes come to ~ 21 lbs, leaving ~34 for bike + pack and anything else coming along, like GPS, sleep kit, tools, and of course your magic cell phone. If your bike is 26 lbs that's only 8lbs for that stuff - pretty light if you ask me.  Then again there are those that can live on air and a Mexican blanket...

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 02:25:34 PM
tRoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 02:25:34 PM »

Chad has completed the singletrack to Marshall lake.
There is a chance that the trail he just rode and other sweet trails around there could become closed to bicycles.

Essentially there are people that want to protect these lands from development by combining them with the existing Walnut Canyon National Monument - the Feds at national monuments usually do NOT allow mountainbikes....

If you have ridden any of these trails and want to ride them again then please follow this post by my wife Dara:
http://www.juniper-solutions.com/dara/?p=311

Learn more and submit your comments:
http://www.walnutcanyonstudy.org

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 05:46:23 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 05:46:23 PM »

Thanks Troy.  I sent in my comments.  Would be a shame to have to detour on the AZT there.  Not to mention the loss of mtb'ing close to town.

Chad is tearing it up so far, hitting splits faster than he rode last year in the Coconino Stage Race.  He's not on a singlespeed this time, but still, there are no big rest stops built in this time, so he must be feeling good.

He's climbing Hot Loop right now and should have just enough time to get the most technical bits of Sedona before the sun sets.  And none too soon as it's probably quite hot down by Cottonwood and out on Lime Kiln trail.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 07:24:18 PM
tRoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »

Dave, thanks for the quick calculations.  My setup is certainly the lightest I've run in a ride like this...  I actually pulled my phone and camera off the kit and will borrow a friends spot unit...
Scott, yes Chad is charging.   I think he is going to set a new record and maybe a really fast one.... 
I am very curious as to what he does tomorrow near the Verde River....
It is really hard to watch and not set out on this ride... 2 more weeks...

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 08:45:35 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 08:45:35 PM »

Troy -- no camera?  On this route?  Blasphemy!   nono

Chad wisely skipped the tour of Sedona's bike shops (just kiddin' Dave) and is a couple hours ahead of record pace.  How the night plays out for him will be key.

He is not carrying a sleeping bag, but it is likely warm enough for a quick nap even without.  I'll be very curious to see how far he is in the morning...

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 07:03:07 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 07:03:07 AM »

What an interesting position to be in...watching Chad's progress brings all sorts of memories to front and center.

As near as I can tell he is bang on my time to Mingus.  In his favor is that instead of losing 3-4 hours to mechanicals and wrong turns he spent ~2.5 hours getting some shuteye near Cottonwood.  Not so much in his favor is the predicted high of 95F today at the Verde crossing.  It will be interesting to see how he deals with the heat.  It will be darn warm from the bottom of Mingus all the way to the 7k' mark just shy of Bill Williams mtn.

Keep the hammer on Chad!

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 10:57:43 AM
tRoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »

Chad looks real good.  Tucson blood is getting him up the hot climb out of Verde River.  That and he got there darn fast so he could get the climb underway before noon!

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 11:56:27 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 11:56:27 AM »

He's doing fantastic!  No slowdown at all after the Mingus wrestling match Wink  I'm pretty sure he could stop for 6 hours for a long rest and still finish in under 2 days.  Or, skip the rest and go under 40 hours....in any case barring disaster he's on a record ride right now.

Troy, getting yer game on?

After an unfortunate combination of weather, mechanicals and gear choices I got pinned in Williams for a night.  It's hard to see that happening to Chad, although the temptation will be strong as he goes by motel row...

He will also learn that all those switchbacks on Bill Williams mtn feel decidedly different after 30 hours of riding compared to 6 or 7.

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 01:56:21 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 01:56:21 PM »

Yeaaaaah!!  He flew down Mingus and around the backside.  Seemed like I checked this morning and he was still pushing up the mountain, then just a bit later he was ripping the descent down to the Verde.  The incoming heat must have motivated him to really rip it and get back to the trees ASAP.

I did talk briefly to him last night when he was just outside Sedona.  "I don't know about this ITT thing... I'm still so hot, sweating like crazy, ... this sucks..."  He was having a low moment for sure, as I'm sure sweating and feeling overcooked at 9pm must be.  No doubt he pushed through that and is rocking it now.

He's up at Pine Flat before the real heat of the day, so bravo there.  Motel Row will be calling loudly, for sure.  If he can skip it and keep riding into the evening he'll set a very impressive record.  Even with a healthy stop in Williams he should have no problem setting a new record, assuming things continue to go well.

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 02:19:00 PM
mr.hobbs

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »

Under 40hrs..insane!
That's a bunch of rolling pictures. No time to stop and enjoy at that pace.

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 07:22:16 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 07:22:16 PM »

A very quick transition in Williams, and he's closing in on Sycamore Rim.  With any luck he'll have some lingering ambient light out there on the singletrack.

He's shooting for a 2am finish, which would be ~38 hours on route.  Stupendous!

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 08:15:41 PM
tRoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 08:15:41 PM »

uhhhhhh... I need a thesaurus to describe how impressive Chad's ride is looking...
Scott, could you please email me Chad's phone number?  I would like to buy him a beer tomorrow. 

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 05:59:42 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 05:59:42 AM »

Chad -

That is one fantastic ride you threw down, congratulations of the tallest order!  It has all the earmarks of a more personal pursuit as well.

Beautifully ridden ITT my friend. 

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 07:33:10 AM
mr.hobbs

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »

so much for watching the finish this morning......you're already done.
Wholly crap, you did it Chad. Nice work!!

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 12:21:29 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »

I'll post up a little more later. Just wanted to say thank you for watching. Although I helped co-produce the route (so I am a little bias), this route really is incredible. Tour it or ride it, it's a blast.

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 12:55:23 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 12:55:23 PM »

Copy and pasted from the URL below. If the formatting annoys you (I did not delete any HTML), head over here and read it on my blog: http://chadfbrown.blogspot.com/2010/06/just-continue-to-pedal.html

------------------------------------------------

After missing an AZT 300 run this year, I was yearning for some form of nutty ride that would really allow me to push myself. More than two months ago, I began tinkering with the idea of trying to take down a record on the boards. What started out as a joke quickly became a serious endeavor. I chose the date, June 8th, and decided that not even weather would deter me. Easier said than done, right? Highs in the 90s were predicted for the race date.

After loading up on two gyros at the Pita Pit in Flagstaff, I set off immediately on classic Arizona singletrack. Some of you might recall that last time we rode this, the Fish and Game Department were putting up fences that blocked the trail. They claimed it was to protect some of the lakes off the trail.

Less than a year later, the Arizona Trail Association has responded by putting in fences. Your donation dollars at work.

The heat seemed mild on paper, but when you are "highly motivated" to pedal fast, the heat slowly began to eek its way into the ride.

A few ATV riders thought it was a good idea to taunt me while descending near Munds Park. They pulled up, honked, and sped off shooting dirt and small rocks on me. Nice, very nice. As I topped off at the next hill, I saw the same ATV and its drivers. Should I escalate the situation? I did have a water bottle. I imagined myself tossing the HEED water on the crew as I sped by only to be hiding in the woods to escape certain punishment. What to do?

I opted for peace. But as I rode by, the continued to taunt me. Moment of truth. Escalate or ignore? I chose to ignore them and do my thing....<span style="font-style: italic;">pedal</span>.

After some more dirt and honking, they left me to ride solo in the woods. At last, alone in the pines. I filled up some water at the ADOT on Schnebly and pressed on to one of my favorite places in northern Arizona....

Schnebly Hill Vista just above Hot Loop Trail. I packed pretty light knowing I could fuel up at Circle K. I spent about 20 minutes fueling up before heading for more singletrack in the form of Broken Arrow and Templeton.

<div style="text-align: center;"><span style="font-style: italic;">Cathedral Rock, Sedona</span>
</div>
Sunsets and sunrises have a special place in my heart, especially when you experience either on the bike.

"<span style="font-style: italic;">Just continue to pedal</span>." That was the advice I got from a friend when I began to complain about the heat. At 9pm, I was still sweating. *Giving up* passed through my head several times. This was clearly a low point in the ride; mentally, I had to push forward. <span style="font-style: italic;">Just continue to pedal </span>he said when I had called to check in<span style="font-style: italic;">. Just continue to pedal </span><span>sank into my head. </span>

Well, that's what I did. Lime Kiln came and went. At Dead Horse State Park, I stripped down at one of the canals to bathe. Immediate relief from the heat. I got in my bivvy and slept for about an hour.

Just what I needed. I gassed up at the Maverick Station and began the climb up Mingus. About 3am on steep Trail 105a, I came to a complete stop near a step up. Thinking I could clear it, I pulled up haphazardly. As I did, I found myself drifting to the steep, dark edge to my right. I fell about 5 feet down the trail only to be caught by some trees. Not only was the bike on top of me, but my spokes were wrapped around a tree that had been caught. After about 10 minutes, I managed to free the wheel.

It was time for a quick break. I decided to wait for some light before continuing up 105.

At about 7am, I topped out on top of Mingus. Trail 28 was going to be a highlight for the ride (shown above). I felt confident and cleaned nearly every section, even opting for a few new kickers that they had put in.

At the private gate to the telephone line/forest service access, I met the property owner. He was impressed with the route and was content to let us use the road (normally, he charges vehicles to use the road).

The high at the Verde River was supposed to be 95 degrees that day. Getting water and leaving as fast as possible was the only motivation I really needed.

<div style="text-align: center;"><span style="font-style: italic;">The greatest gas station item ever?</span> <span style="font-style: italic;">Do you have a favorite, </span><a style="font-style: italic;" href="http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,850.msg10346/boardseen.html#new">click here to[/url]<span style="font-style: italic;"> add yours.</span>

</div>I rested for less than 20 minutes at the Verde (mile 140), barely sufficient to eat, hydrate, and purify water. I rigged a synthetic device to help shade myself from the heat. Additionally, I had some arm coolers that I would soak in water periodically (I carried some water that was not treated for this simple, effective idea).

At the beginning of the climb out of the Verde, I was pretty motivated. The heat quickly squelched this motivation. Two cars passed me, both offering some assistance. One asked, "<span style="font-style: italic;">are you doing okay?</span>"

It was very slow going. 30 minutes riding, 5 minutes in the shade, wet the arm warmers and hair...repeat. After you veer away from Perkinsville Rd, the chances of seeing anyone is pretty remote. This is the most remote section on the route, in fact. It felt remote and super hot.

I needed to hit 7,000 feet to reach some pines (the Verde is about 3,300). As I climbed during the pines, false summits were prolific. More resting.

As I climbed Benham last year, I ran out of water. This year was no exception. It's a great ride, one of the best in northern Arizona. I was smiling despite my lack of water, counting the switchbacks as I went up. You would have been proud. Despite less than 3 hours of sleep, I was on my A-game. Nonetheless, the trail needs a chainsaw soon. There were about 10-15 downed trees while riding up.

Bill Williams was a different story altogether. It had no downfall, just smooth sailing down to Williams. I stopped at Circle K for the normal groceries and headed out of town to get to Sycamore Rim before it got dark.

<div style="text-align: center; font-style: italic;">One of the few "paved" sections of the route
</div>
I managed to get about half of Sycamore Rim completed before complete darkness fell over the rocky, technical singletrack.

The road around Garland Prairie was pretty. Stars were shining and there was very little traffic. I had to change my batteries after passing the closed Texaco on I-40.

Mentally, the singletrack of Wing Mountain and Elden were the hardest and longest. It would have been easy (very easy in fact) to stop and rest for a few hours. But alas, I wanted a strong finish.

A few minutes before 3am, I rolled into Flagstaff to find my car with my pad and sleeping bag. Ahhhhh. I tried to wash off the dirt but opted to just go to bed dirty.

<div style="text-align: center;"><span style="font-style: italic;">My bike setup</span>
</div>
The next morning at 8am, I was awakened by Gnome and treated to breakfast by Troy M. It was simply a beautiful morning, made even more beautiful that I was able to ride such a route like the Coconino Loop.

Truly remarkable country and trails. 39 hours 1 minute, 241 miles with ~21k of climbing, ~40% singletrack. Thank you to anyone that was watching the SPOT and to Scott for Trackleaders.com support.

A few have asked my setup, so here it is:

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Osprey 22 Bag</span>
Pearl Izumi Arm Coolers
Headsweat
Synthetic Head Shade (made, used Velcro to put on helmet)
Pearl Izumi Knee Warmers
REI lightweight long sleeve shirt
Emergency Bivvy Sack
Tools
Sunscreen
2 HEED and 2 Perpetuam packs
16 Water Purifying Tablets
100 ounce bladder
random food to start out, peanuts, jerky, etc.
Extra lithium batteries
60 ounce platypus
Sunscreen
Random bike emergency stuff (bolts, etc.)

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Lenz Sport Leviathan 29er </span>
Carousel Design Bag
1 tube, 1 slime tube
patch kit
brakes
Topeak pump
Crankbrothers multi-tool
EOS Princeton Light (AAA)
Feenix Bar Light (AA)
Etrex Legend
20 ounce bottle

Join us for the next race date, October 9th, 2010 of the Coconino Loop Race.

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 07:00:40 PM
jonesy792

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 07:00:40 PM »

How did the arm coolers work for you?  I'm thinking of using them for kmc

Topic Name: Coconino 350 Race June 26th? Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 07:25:03 PM
tRoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 07:25:03 PM »

Thanks for the good read Chad.  I may hit the Coco loop in Sept or Oct when things feel more agreeable... rather than a hot suffer fest on the Coco, the 97 deg. F. temps for next week will see me in the cool dark depths of the West Fork in Oak Creek.  Anyway the Coco route needs a rest after your effort! thumbsup 
  Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: