Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #160 on: April 25, 2013, 08:30:19 AM
JasonM

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2013, 08:30:19 AM »

Wow. That was hard. Massive respect to all of you bikepack racers.  This was my first go at it and I was definitely not prepared.  I didn't even load my GPS correctly.  And somehow I packed dead batteries for my light, 2 sets!  CJell gave me his extra notes.  Thanks Cjell, what a great guy.  I ended up borrowing my buddy Adam's GPS after he dropped.  I did not have a spot and was dropped by my friends Luke and Casey with the tracker the first night (no lights).  I ended up catching them the end of day two and finished about 15 minutes behind them (around 3 days 3 hrs) with a busted rear axle. I'm out of the official results because I borrowed the GPS, but I never got off course and the experience for me was AMAZING.  I'll be back for more.
Eric and Ross thanks for all of the advice!  Great guys and it was great riding with both of you.  Neil I will see you this summer sometime in CB.  
Thanks Scott!
Jason Michalak

... I also need to mention that I borrowed a light and batteries because I thought mine was busted.  I'm completely good with being out of the results.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:24:00 AM by JasonM » Logged

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #161 on: April 25, 2013, 08:37:07 AM
JosiahM

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2013, 08:37:07 AM »

I'm out of the official results because I borrowed the GPS, but I never got off course and the experience for me was AMAZING.

I'm sure some might argue against this, but I say that was not pre-planned support if you started with your own GPS and should be considered a legit finish.
amazingly fast especially for a first timer too.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #162 on: April 25, 2013, 10:14:21 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »

Eric Foster called in from Payson and later from Pine. Mark Caminiti called in from Apache Junction. He finished the 300 and is about to head out. And Max Morris called in from Flagstaff. He’s hoping to stay ahead!

http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/azt13/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #163 on: April 25, 2013, 10:21:01 AM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »

Just found out i have some extra vacation after the CTR this year and i am debating if it will be too brutally hot to do an ITT of the AZT 300 in late July right after the CTR since i have never been to arizona in the summer. What you think-- bad idea? Too hot in july to do this and have any fun?

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #164 on: April 25, 2013, 10:27:30 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2013, 10:27:30 AM »

I'm sure some might argue against this, but I say that was not pre-planned support if you started with your own GPS and should be considered a legit finish.
amazingly fast especially for a first timer too.
The rules of the race are completely straight forward and contrived, totally black and white and every shade of grey. You either got in a car or you didn't, you finished under your own power or you didn't.

Trail Angels, Trail Magic ect, you either feel you completed the course by the rules or not.

Lots of ways to justify anything. Being honest about what happened along the way is, to me, the most important thing.

If everyone is honest about how things happened both with themselves and those in the BP community that's the most important thing.

Finishing with a borrowed GPS and cues is better then not finishing. Finishing by cheating is worse the dropping out.

After that it's up to Scott to sort out where people stand in the rankings.

My .02
Tim

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #165 on: April 25, 2013, 10:29:26 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2013, 10:29:26 AM »

Just found out i have some extra vacation after the CTR this year and i am debating if it will be too brutally hot to do an ITT of the AZT 300 in late July right after the CTR since i have never been to arizona in the summer. What you think-- bad idea? Too hot in july to do this and have any fun?

Parts of the course could be done others would be a bitch.

This would be good http://www.bikepacking.net/routes/kaibab-monstercross/

As well as some riding around Flag.

Tim

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #166 on: April 25, 2013, 10:38:58 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »

Ron Thomson is about 3 miles out from Picketpost, about to wrap this sucka up. Way to keep pushing on Ron, belt drive singlespeed power!!

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #167 on: April 25, 2013, 10:49:40 AM
Holt

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »

Its strange to be back in Houston, at work, reading about the guys & girls still out there... the 750 group is not human. I have so much respect to everyone who puts forth the effort to do this thing. My body is so wrenched right now, both big toes numb, right thumb and breaking finger are numb. I hope this will go away soon.

I can not wait for next year  headbang

I saw Ron at KC - that belt brive bike is very cool 

The Mutant

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #168 on: April 25, 2013, 01:05:10 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »

Eric F has met up with Forest, again, and they're both about the gain the rim.  I don't know, but looks like Max is going to take the 750.  Can the two guys behind make up the ground?  He's 30miles up on Blake right now, and looks to have left Flag already.  Well, I guess that's only about 3 to 4 hours time diff, so maybe not quite in the bag ... still 200 miles to go, plus a little bit of canyon hiking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #169 on: April 25, 2013, 01:29:53 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2013, 01:29:53 PM »

Max reports running into some snow coming around the peaks.  He is skeptical about being able to ride the north rim singletrack.  The pavement is definitely in play as a viable option, and I think it always will be in the 750 'grand depart'.  He also said there were a bunch of down trees.

He posted this morning on facebook: "I live for this $hit."  I don't know if it was in his call in or not, but he broke a tooth (in half!) on Highline.  His response: You can break my teeth but not my spirit!

Jason - I am glad you took the GPS and finished up the route.  Better than dropping and not seeing/experiencing the rest.  Thanks for being upfront about it.  Well done.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #170 on: April 25, 2013, 01:33:20 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2013, 01:33:20 PM »

More Half Past Done coverage.

Race recap and thoughts from Eszter:  

http://halfpastdone.com/2013/04/24/arizona-trail-never-easy-always-engaging/

Interview with Aaron Gulley:

http://halfpastdone.com/2013/04/25/limit-broken-interview-with-aaron-gulley/

Many thanks to Jill Homer for this excellent coverage of the event.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #171 on: April 25, 2013, 02:56:01 PM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »

Its strange to be back in Houston, at work, reading about the guys & girls still out there... the 750 group is not human. I have so much respect to everyone who puts forth the effort to do this thing. My body is so wrenched right now, both big toes numb, right thumb and breaking finger are numb. I hope this will go away soon.

I can not wait for next year  headbang

I saw Ron at KC - that belt brive bike is very cool

I did the 300 last year and 3 fingers on each hand took 6 weeks for the feeling to come back. I was riding locked out the whole time. It comes back though. I did some really really thorough research on the topic. You just did a little nerve damage. Unfortunately nerves take forever to heal. I promise it will come back though.

-Tanner

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #172 on: April 25, 2013, 03:29:27 PM
Quincer

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »

I have been on the phone twice today with my wife, Sheila Torres-Blank.  She was ready to give up but is now back in it. She had some bike issues with her handlebars. She's gonna rest in Phoenix, get some, wait, make that lot-o-food, hit the bike shop then back on trail.  She knows she's in the back of the field but doesn't care.  She said she crashed a couple of times and has seen two rattlers and her feet are shredded.  She talked by phone to Rich Wolf who had a hard day yesterday with a fall off the trail into a cactus and told her he's out.  No official word on that yet however.  She also saw Ron Thomson on the trail.  By my unofficial tracking, it looks as if 7 riders remain.  Can someone verify...  

Also, Sheila will be turning 46 years old on May 5th.  I hope to greet her at the finish line on or before that day!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:33:10 PM by Quincer » Logged

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #173 on: April 25, 2013, 03:40:18 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »

I did the 300 last year and 3 fingers on each hand took 6 weeks for the feeling to come back. I was riding locked out the whole time. It comes back though. I did some really really thorough research on the topic. You just did a little nerve damage. Unfortunately nerves take forever to heal. I promise it will come back though.

-Tanner

After the 04 and 06 tours all of my fingers on both hands tingled for months. Just started reading Ageless Body Timeless Mind by Deepak Chopra MD in the first chapter he says the human body recreates 98% of it's cells every year. The conscious mind has the ability to help the body mend itself. Windowace got me started down this path in a post to Tanner after his accident. It's made a world of difference in how I see my self. That along with Marshals advice to have a goal to train for has me riding harder and planning on a Flag to Tucson route this fall.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #174 on: April 25, 2013, 03:52:55 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »

, it looks as if 7 riders remain.  Can someone verify... 

Also, Sheila will be turning 46 years old on May 5th.  I hope to greet her at the finish line on or before that day!

Looks like we still have Mad Max Morris, Blake Bockius, Cjell Money (we think he's out of money for batts) Aaron Denberg, Forest Baker, Eric Foster, Mark Caminiti, Sheila, and Rich for 9 if Rich stays in.

I did the refresh with projections and Track Leaders says Sheila will finish in 14 days 6 hours 38 minutes. And Scott has a PHD in this shit so you know it's right. Just tell her that every mile done is one less left to do, don't worry about the big picture just keep the wheels turning and or putting one foot in front of the other. It's meant to be a painful bugger but satisfying in the end.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #175 on: April 25, 2013, 03:54:13 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2013, 03:54:13 PM »

Eric F has met up with Forest, again, and they're both about the gain the rim.  I don't know, but looks like Max is going to take the 750.  Can the two guys behind make up the ground?  He's 30miles up on Blake right now, and looks to have left Flag already.  Well, I guess that's only about 3 to 4 hours time diff, so maybe not quite in the bag ... still 200 miles to go, plus a little bit of canyon hiking.
humm, I rough-calc Max as about 8 hrs ahead of Blake--assuming Blake spends same amount of stop time in Flag.  Lots of racing to go Max could have issues or Blake could make a extra-hrs move but baring Max dropping way off his pace or a super move Max is looking good.

Look at Max's start & stop times--tells me he's still pushing....

Go Max

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #176 on: April 25, 2013, 04:06:21 PM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2013, 04:06:21 PM »

Well, I hate to say this but I am scratching from the AZT 750 sad2

This was a tough decision but I don't think I am man enough for this course! Or mascochistic enough to continue!! BangHead

I really meant to tell Scott Morris that I signed up for the 300, and I just started at the border to give everyone else a chance! Ha ha!

I am now sitting in Inferior (errrrr Superior) with a full belly and clean clothes.

The level of this race to me is off the scale. I did the Stagecoach last year then followed up with the Tour Divide. Those are a cakewalk compared to this mother!

I came into this race pretty well prepared (certainly better than the other two I mentioned.) My fitness was good, my bike was dialed and my gear choices were good. From day one this race threw everything at me. I heard it was tough BUT I don't think anyone can truly appreciate just how tough untill you ride it! I had some of the toughest days on my bike ever, and yesterday took the cake. I started about 10 miles or so south of the Gila River and made it all the way to Superior. Up at 6:00 A.M. and not done till after 11:00 PM. The up and down was relentless. I was riding as well as I have ever done, making climbs and hanging with them for longer than I have ever done. My descending was decent but I couldn't move any faster to make Superior by nightfall. Of course I ran out of water and food and the last 8 miles my mouth and lips were glued to each other. I kept going back to my bottles and camelback to look for a squirt of water, then finally started licking the insides of them!

Of course what is the  AZT race without a crash into the cactus?Huh??? I pulled out numerous needles but overall I was very lucky it wasn't worse than it was. I went about 1 half mile further and realized I had lost my GPS. I almost blew off going back for it because of my state of mind. But being as cheap as I am I went back to the scene of the crime and after hunting for quite a while found it!

I finally got to the trail head and thank God, found an AZT water cache. Was I ever relieved. I drank a bunch, bivied and fell asleep.

My plan now is to have my sister drive me up to Payson, spend the night, and then rejoin the trail above the Rim. No way am I in the mood for that hike a bike! I am hoping to do some of the trail to the south rim, hike the canyon and get then picked up at Jacobs Lake.

I think my bikepacking racing days are over, but I plan on doing more of it at a relaxed pace, taking lots of pictures, sleeping in and taking a stove and coffee.

As usual I met a buch of great people. Ben, Sheila (who is amazing), Swami and Duck, Steve and Laurie Horton, Aaron Boatman, another, Aaron, Ross, Blake and I am sure a few others I have forgotten.

I saw my friends Michael and Sharon from Alaska out there but they blew by me the first day! Congrats to them on such a strong finish.

Thanks for all my friends and family that supported me throughout the race. I am a beaten man but I am proud of going as far as I did. Some of the riding and scenery were to die for, and the rest was to die for too!

I have taken a ton of photos so far, so when I finish up I will post them. I just want to let Scott know that I took pictures of the very tough sections and the first set I am sending to my Lawyer and the second set to my  shrink!

Anyone who toes the line at this race deserves huge kudos, and to finish either one is an accomplishent that you will never forget.

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #177 on: April 25, 2013, 04:13:55 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2013, 04:13:55 PM »

I have been on the phone twice today with my wife, Sheila Torres-Blank.  She was ready to give up but is now back in it. She had some bike issues with her handlebars. She's gonna rest in Phoenix, get some, wait, make that lot-o-food, hit the bike shop then back on trail.  She knows she's in the back of the field but doesn't care.  She said she crashed a couple of times and has seen two rattlers and her feet are shredded.  She talked by phone to Rich Wolf who had a hard day yesterday with a fall off the trail into a cactus and told her he's out.  No official word on that yet however.  She also saw Ron Thomson on the trail.  By my unofficial tracking, it looks as if 7 riders remain.  Can someone verify...  

Also, Sheila will be turning 46 years old on May 5th.  I hope to greet her at the finish line on or before that day!

I have been following all the 750 Spots, including Sheila’s.  Personaly I identify more with the struggles near the back of the pack vs the sharp end up front..

Sheila will get some relatively easy miles on the way to Payson, and if so inclined they can go by nicely in the dark early of an AM even late PM push….

With Highline and the big ditch coming--I hope she takes care of her feet above all else!!  Buy some fresh socks, (to each there own but thin/med thickness wool sport socks like smartwool sure do the trick for me), have duck tape on hand to cover over blisters & open sores, & clean them best as can each night………..
Go Sheila!!

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #178 on: April 25, 2013, 04:28:07 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2013, 04:28:07 PM »

Well, I hate to say this but I am scratching from the AZT 750 sad2

pm sent
in most ways the toughest is behind you--great ride!!--but are you sure?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh???

Topic Name: AZTR 2013 Discussion Thread Reply #179 on: April 25, 2013, 04:38:26 PM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2013, 04:38:26 PM »

Ya, I am beyond sure! But thanks Marshall for the encouragement.

A big shout out to Eric Foster who I met at the Tour Divide last year. I will donate $1 to your fund if you complete the triple crown this year! (I told you I was cheap!)

And good luck to Sheila. I know she had a tougher time than I did yesterday and for her to forge on is incredible. She is beyond tough!
  Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: