Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Substitute for front rack + panniers on: March 06, 2017, 04:47:04 AM
ogobogo

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2017, 04:47:04 AM »

Hello bikepackers,

Several days ago I returned home from a bike road trip (well, 99% of it was road). In prepaation for it, I decided to neglect the fact that I have a rear rack and use a DIY attachment on my fork instead.

For the purpose I used a 5" pipe, 10" long cut into two halves, each half attached independently with hose clamps on on the two sides of the fork. It did a perfect job and the bike was stable.

However, I did notice two issues during and after the ride. First, I hadn't drilled holes for adjusting the brake pads in case it was needed.
Secondly, when I was home, I noticed that one of the half-pipes had started cracking.

Regarding the modes of attachment of the bags (one was of hardcore material 20 l dry bag; the other - 20 l OR very light dry bag) - I used two bungee cords.

My observations - although the bags were really very well attached to the fork, wowuld it not be better to use two bungee cords in order to secure the upper and the lower part of the bags instead of using only one for securing the bag in the middle? This way, I think, I will be able to avoid the bulging of the top and the bottom parts of the bags as well as avoid putting too much stress on the points of attachment of the half-pipes to the fork. In addition, any advice regarding limiting the friction beween the bag and the bungee cord will be highly appreciated.
If anybody has used similar attachments, please comment and share experience.

In addition, I tried the method of attaching lighter items as a sleeping mat, a helmet and other smaller items under my handlebar. I used the instructions http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/diy-make-your-own-gear-(myog)/super-simple-handebag-bag/ and a longer bungee cord. It also performed perfectly and didn't mess around my hands as was before.
There are some photos here:

* IMGP1183.jpg (215.77 KB, 1000x1333 - viewed 1324 times.)

* IMGP1133.jpg (264.2 KB, 1000x1333 - viewed 1331 times.)

* IMGP1170.jpg (218.18 KB, 1000x1333 - viewed 1308 times.)

* IMGP1171.jpg (177.13 KB, 1000x1333 - viewed 1311 times.)

* IMGP1180.jpg (191.63 KB, 1000x1333 - viewed 1307 times.)

Topic Name: Substitute for front rack + panniers Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 10:01:43 AM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 10:01:43 AM »

Nice idea. 
Where did it crack?
You have one photo with lash straps instead of bungee's.  I would think that two lash straps would be better.  If you can sew, maybe make a stuff sack with a daisy chain to lace the webbing through?

Topic Name: Substitute for front rack + panniers Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 01:11:19 PM
bikeny

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »

It's an interesting idea for sure, but you've got a lot of stuff close to the front wheel. I'd be afraid of an errant strap getting into the wheel and causing an accident. To hold the bag, I would suggest 2 Voile straps per side.

Topic Name: Substitute for front rack + panniers Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 10:48:18 PM
ogobogo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 10:48:18 PM »

Well, the lash straps were used for for securing the sleeping mat, etc. items under the handlebar -->  http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/diy-make-your-own-gear-(myog)/super-simple-handebag-bag/

As for the Voile straps vs bungee cord, I'd say that the latter is much better. Reasons - its length is greater, it's a DIY, it's been used on previous occasions with greater stresses and nothing was lost, the risks of detaching are limited because, instead of using a hook to connect the ends of the bungee cord, I use a maillon or carabiner (refer to the first photo)

Regarding the concerns of closeness of the bags to the wheel - as you might notice, the bags are actually secured to the fork (the last two photos of my first post). The half pipes are used to restrict the sideways motion of the bags.

As for the cracking, it is marked with red. I assume the reason for the crack is because the bags were attached at one point only and when passing through bumps, the dangling of the bags affected the strength of the pipes.

* IMGP1187.jpg (173.87 KB, 1000x1333 - viewed 1269 times.)
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: