The West Coast (CA,NV,WA,OR), Trip Reports » Lost Lakeby scatman
This past weekend I had the itch to get out and camp. Instead of letting the fact that I don’t have a single bikepacking pack, a rack for my Pugsley, or anyone to go with stop me I loaded up my backpack from the PCT and headed to the mountains. My destination was any flat spot along the snowmobile trail to Lost Lake near Snoqualmie Pass, WA. For most of the drive to the trail head I worried the parking lot was going to be more suited for my Pugs then my car. Luckily when I got there it was frozen solid, as I would be soon. It was damn cold!
The trip was more about just getting outside than anything but I did learn a ton. The Crystal Springs Sno-Park area in which I was, has a great network of snowmobile trails. I have a lot more exploring to do. I just have to do it when the sleds are not there in throws.
1. I have a hot ass, as I woke up with a huge dent under it from the snow melting. We’re talking J Lo size people and my ass or lack of one isn’t big.
2. Bring warmer gloves for the am as it can be colder.
3. Hip belts and pedaling don’t mix.
4. Apparently I can sleep through the Groomer, as it passed (40’ away) during the night or early morning and I never heard it.
5. Loose corn like snow sucks to ride in.
6. People smile when they see a fat bike.
This is all the pictures I could manage as I was using my Iphone and my hands were freezing. I couldn’t bare the thought of taking them off again. Next time I’ll remember my actual camera.
I put Sram Gripshift on my Pugs as it was so hard to use the Shimano trigger shifters last time. This was a huge improvement and the bike preformed better too. Remembering the winter boots was key. At least my toes were warm. I’ll post gas tank and sling pictures soon.
Get out there!