Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: water bottles on: January 14, 2018, 02:15:30 PM
vermont

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2018, 02:15:30 PM »

So my Polar bottles are almost doing it just fine but not quite enough.  I feel I need to switch to double wall metal bottles.  Any idea which ones fit on the bike?  It appears that I just need to find one with a 3 inch diameter.
Has anyone tried to make an insulated cozy?  It seems it would be easy to make one out of fabric and "blue foam" sleeping pad.
Thanks,
Scott

Topic Name: water bottles Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 04:36:13 PM
ascar_larkinyar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 04:36:13 PM »

I have the largest thermos brand insulated metal thermos.  It keeps liquid hot or cold for 4-5 days.  I had it in the snow over night and liquid did not freeze.  Yes it's big and heavy.   My point is the bigger the container and insulated will do better.  All my smaller water bottle size thermos froze or could not keep liquid hot.

Topic Name: water bottles Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:30:52 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:30:52 AM »

I have both a internal thread and external thread hydroflask. The internal threaded one keeps warm way longer than the external. It slides right into a bottle cage, as long as it doesn't have the little lip. A King Cage Iris works well.

You can get away a little longer if you turn your bottle upside down in the cages. Longer still if you put it upside down in a jersey pocket.

The best method I found is a standard 64oz kleen kanteen with an insulated bottle coozy. You can heat it up on your stove before bed and snuggle it all night for warmth.

Topic Name: water bottles Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 03:37:45 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 03:37:45 PM »

The best method I found is a standard 64oz kleen kanteen with an insulated bottle coozy. You can heat it up on your stove before bed and snuggle it all night for warmth.

I've frozen bottles, bladders, etc.
Best way I've found was to use a Nalgene or similar with an insulated cozy. And keep the bottle upside down.

IMG_9378 by Mike, on Flickr

This was a trip with a bladder in my frame bag. I slept with the bladder and filter overnight, but watched as I made coffee in the morning as the ice crystals froze moving down the hose...

Frosted by Mike, on Flickr

I recently got a hydroflask with the small lid for a holiday gift. It keeps coffee very hot, most of the day. The lid though is warm to the touch - so I'm losing heat out the top. I haven't tested it in the wild yet - just car trips and back and forth on errands around town.

Topic Name: water bottles Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 07:36:26 AM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 07:36:26 AM »

Because I can sew things from scratch quite easily, I did sew up a cozy and had the cozy (polar bottle inside) on one fork leg and a polar bottle in a cage on the other.  The difference was quite night and day.  The cozy is definitely the direction I am going with.  I think I am going to try to make a cozy large enough for a 30ish oz insulated bottle.  For the summer I think I am going to aim for a large cozy and a water bottle cage for easy access.  I'm also thinking the severe cold is done for the year(?).
thanks.

Topic Name: water bottles Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 09:14:05 AM
white pass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 09:14:05 AM »

What is the benefit of keeping a bottle upside down?

And yea, the bigger the volume, the longer it takes to freeze so using a nalgene or bigger thermos will help.

Topic Name: water bottles Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 07:26:25 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 07:26:25 AM »

What is the benefit of keeping a bottle upside down?

Ice forms most quickly at the air-water interface, plus (if stationary), water is denser than ice. Together, flipping the bottle minimizes the risk that you can't open and/or drink the liquid portion when ice has started to form.

Topic Name: water bottles Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 06:10:19 PM
jeffabe

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 06:10:19 PM »

What brnd of cozy is that? It looks very effective.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: