Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: using pogies on: December 11, 2013, 08:40:15 PM
Slim

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2013, 08:40:15 PM »

hi,

How do people deal with their pogies? mine seem to accumulate a fair bit of moisture in even a short ride(haven't used them for an overnight yet), as they are a non-breathable coated fabric, lined with pile.

They are not super warm, so I wear thin fleece gloves underneath, also to keep my hands warm when I pull them out of the pogies.

This combo is perfect down to about -10F/-25C which is about as cold as it usually gets here.

But this creates two issues;
1- my liner gloves get very damp
2- the pogies get quite damp, how to dry them on an overnight trip.

I've been thinking of VBL gloves, maybe dishgloves?

anyway, what do you use?

Topic Name: using pogies Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:47:56 PM
dcrowe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:47:56 PM »

I am new to pogie-land. Have a pair of Dogwood designs with light insulation.  To date I have not experienced the dampness that you have experienced.

With the Dogwoods it is summer gloves to -15c. XC ski gloves to -25 Light old mittens from there. I have found that pogies are a good place to store extra layers for my hands.

Bummer about the condensation. If you keep them then it would seem like VB gloves are a good option.  Ice fishing or paddling gloves perhaps?

Topic Name: using pogies Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:25:05 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »

Dogwoods, the light version, with a light powerstretch liner glove. When my hands get too warm, I just ride with them on top of the pogie. Would say I never really had an issue with moisture buildup, was always concious of keeping the layers just right to minimise moisture buildup anywhere.

Maybe you could modify yours to add in an adjustable vent. Wear less layers on your arms? Your body is trying to lose heat, maybe your arms are too warm and that hot blood is trying to radiate from your hands?

The new 45nrth pogies look the business...

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: using pogies Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 05:30:27 AM
Slim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 05:30:27 AM »

Yes, on a few occasions my hands are actually sweating, but most of the time it is more normal perspiration, not much you can do about that, short of wearing VBLs.
Mine are actually quite vented, since they don't have a fancy seal around the cables and are wide at the cuff.

The same issues applies to boots and sleeping bags, but unlike those, there seem to be no breathable pogies, since even the one made with breathable fabric often have a plastic sheet inside, plus so many layers of material.

Topic Name: using pogies Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 02:21:07 PM
stumpyfsr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »

I use Ironclad Tundra gloves for such cold riding. Never needed poggies. In your case it looks like you need more ventilation. Maybe sewing in zippers, like snow pants has, will solve a problem. Just my 2 cents

Topic Name: using pogies Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 03:19:24 PM
Eric

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 03:19:24 PM »

The moisture is coming from sweat, so something is overheating, try rolling your sleeves up to vent your wrists as they are a big heat sink, or ditch the liner gloves. If the bars are cold for that then wrap your grips with bar tape. IMO if your pogies need vents - you don't really don't need pogies.

Topic Name: using pogies Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 03:34:13 PM
coldbike

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »

The new 45 north pogies have zippered vents.  Most of the pogies I make are upcycled kids' jackets and so they are at least somewhat breathable.
I haven't had a big issue with my gloves getting wet - I often ride barehanded, but even when I wear gloves, I can ride for days with dry hands.

Topic Name: using pogies Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 07:06:46 AM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 07:06:46 AM »

The Dogwood pogies will eventually start to lose their insulating value over longer trips if you sweat in them, it takes a long time and a lot of sweat to get there though. So, what Eric said. Unless you're one of those folks with exceptionally sweaty hands. Then maybe use a vbl glove.

As to drying them out, bring them in the sleeping bag with you.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: