Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: The pugsley difference on: October 11, 2009, 04:46:12 PM
OurManInTheNorth

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2009, 04:46:12 PM »

Last winter I rode for the first time on proper snow n ice here in Helsinki, Finland, with Nokian 26x 2.2? studded tyres, mostly cos getting to the trails includes likely lots of ice. On packed trails (walked/skiied on) they were fine, but as soon as the trail disappeared they pretty much sank straightaway. As did most other people I rode with, studded tyres or otherwise (no pugsleys/similar). Has anyone got a handle on how much better a standard pugsley with surley tyres n wheels is over this in terms of snow depth/softness you can ride on (mostly unladen, v occasional bikepacking, I'm about 160lb incliding summer clothing). Or even a pugsley with non surly rims/tyres if that gains further flotation?

thanks!

Topic Name: The pugsley difference Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 05:28:23 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 05:28:23 PM »

The difference is huge though hard for me to quantify exactly. I can't speak to the difference to running Endomorph tires on Large Marge rims (65mm) compared to the 100mm rims but I will know this winter.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: The pugsley difference Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:05:09 AM
OurManInTheNorth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:05:09 AM »

Thanks Chris - I guess my main question is then is it actually possible to ride on fresh, uncompacted snow with the Pugsley or is a 'trail' still needed - that's where I'm struggling at the moment. Even a couple of inches seems to induce the rear to fishtail wildly!

Ian

Topic Name: The pugsley difference Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:22:59 AM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:22:59 AM »

If there is a hard surface underneath, road, trail etc, I can ride a Pugs over 6" of fresh. Maybe more, maybe less, depends on some things. Does that help?

But it won't ride over bottomless fluff in mid winter.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: The pugsley difference Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:48:54 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:48:54 PM »

But it won't ride over bottomless fluff in mid winter.

Skis, however, will. ;-)

I've run the gamut of bikes I've used to ride on snowmobile/ski trails ... a full-suspension 26er with studded tires, a rigid with (40mm?) SnowCats, a Pugsley with Large Marge/Endomorph and a Pugsley with 80mm/Endomorph. Snow bikes unquestionably become more versatile as wheels get bigger, but they are, in the end, still bikes. They won't move forward if they can't get traction.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com

Topic Name: The pugsley difference Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 04:15:24 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »

You got it Jill!

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: The pugsley difference Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 01:28:42 PM
OurManInTheNorth

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 01:28:42 PM »

Thanks again Jill and Chris for replies. Hmmm - we don't tend to get more than about 6" of fluff here (other than drifts etc) then it's straight down to whatever is underneath - which is usually the normal MTB forest trails with outcrops of granite in places. I've usually not had problems with rear wheel traction per se, just wild fishtailing of the rear as the front heads off in directions that I really hadn't planned on it going as it hits the fresh non compacted bits of the trail. I'm not certain that there are many/any built up pugs to try over here, so maybe I'll just have to bit the bullet n go for it! Hmmmm...

Topic Name: The pugsley difference Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:30:22 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:30:22 PM »

I think Jill will agree with me. A Pugs is an immensely fun bike. If you can afford to have one in the stable and have a purpose for it, I doubt you'll regret it.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: The pugsley difference Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 10:24:05 AM
Kid Riemer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 10:24:05 AM »

The Pugs, or any snowbike, will let you ride where other 'standard' mtb's cannot. Even on a packed snowy trail with fresh snow falling, a snowbike will help you keep riding. There is the point where no one can ride, but the snowbike lets you ride longer before snow stops you.

Two years ago I was out riding on a local loop. Packed in trail but in soft conditions. I had just started when a guy was walking his bike out of the trail. He asked where I got the Pugs. I told him. What will it cost? I told him.

I saw him last year riding the same trail on a snowbike. He remembered and thanked me. All he wanted to do was to be able to keep riding during the winter. It worked for him and it will work for you.

ps....when it snows here in Minneapolis I'll just take the snowshoes out and tramp out the trail. Good exercise. The snow sets up and is perfect for snowbikes the following day.

Cheers.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: