Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Snwbike Rim to tire locking experience/suggestions? on: January 07, 2012, 12:46:29 PM
elobeck

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »

So I am sure someone (probably from Alaska) has figured this out so I thought I would ask. Obvious problem: Tube and tire slips at low pressures. The jeep peeps have figured a remedy out long ago in the form of beadlock rims. What are cyclists doing? Gluing? If so what glue? One side only I imagine so a flat can be fixed readily? I have thought abut glue but not sure it would work in cold temps reliably?  I'm running 80mm rims with a BFL tire. In order to derive full benefit of the wider tire there are 2 obvious solutions. Wider rim (like a 90 or 100) but that costs money. Or Lower pressure but the tire slips.

I have thought about making a cycling beadlock:
I have thought about cutting up a old 26er rim and mounting an "extra sidewall" inside the tire and bolting it through the sidewall of the rim with anywhere from 4 to 6 screws pan head screws. Drilling some small holes in the rim causes me a little bit of worry BUT with snowbikes the force on them seems relatively small due to the low pressures typically run. A further concern would be reinforcing the holes drilled through the tire somewhat. I could easily prevent abrasion to the tube with some tape or rubber etc.

Anyone care to weigh in or have a more genus solution (other than run higher pressure)Huh??

Topic Name: Snwbike Rim to tire locking experience/suggestions? Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 02:48:21 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 02:48:21 AM »

Make up some plates from thick HDPE plastic sheet (think quality plastic cutting boards the fishos use) that will have a mirror profile to the rim (the tyre side), bolt them through holes in the rim. So loosen the bolts, fit tyre, then tighten bolts and these plates will clamp the inside bead of the tyre to the inside on the rim bead seat.

Yep, motos and drag/circuit track racers have used the bodgy screwlocks for decades, the malaysian rainforest challenge racers (4x4s) use an internal beadlock, comprising a kelvar sleeve that fits close to the rim, has a special shaped tube inside and when inflated puts positive pressure on the beads of the tyre. A second valve is fitted to the rim to enable regular inflation of the tyre carcass. This internal beadlock is very neat and also keeps the bead totally free of debris that would break the seal of the tubeless tyre. Kinda hard to adapt this to a bike tyre unless running a tubeless setup.

You could try a few extra wraps of cloth rim tape right on the bead seat of the rim, to increase the friction directly at the bead seat of the rim and tyre. Cheap, reversible if no worky.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Snwbike Rim to tire locking experience/suggestions? Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:50:30 PM
spruceboy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »

Gluing? If so what glue? One side only I imagine so a flat can be fixed readily?

Glue one side (I glue the drive side) with tubular glue.  Tubasti is the brand I use and it appears to work fine. http://www.jensonusa.com/Tubasti-Tubular-Rim-Cement

That should be enough to prevent the tire from slipping at low pressures, and still allow you to change a flat if needed.

Topic Name: Snwbike Rim to tire locking experience/suggestions? Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 01:51:54 PM
elobeck

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »

thx. I'll give it a go!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: