Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: multi-mode trips- bike/ski on: September 12, 2010, 05:32:36 AM
Askel

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:32:36 AM »

Anybody done any?

I'm looking to do some fatbike/ski touring trips this winter. 

Sometimes the skiing part will be minimal- i.e. bike to within striking distance of a good ski hill, get some turns in and bike out.   

Sometimes, it might be more extenisve- bike until I run out of snowmobile trails and then start skiing.   

Options I'm considering- rig up some kind of system to carry skis on the bike. This should work OK when minimal skiing is involved. However, I'd hate to ditch my bike near a snowmobile trail for extended periods of time and it also limits me to out and back trips.   

So I've been thinking- anybody ever drag a sled behind a bike?  Makes it really easy to carry my ski gear, and then I can just load the bike in the sled for the ski portions. 

Seems like it might work, but this whole fat bike thing will be new too me and I don't know how the setup will fair on downhills or under hard braking.   

Topic Name: multi-mode trips- bike/ski Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 02:05:20 PM
wdlandparker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 02:05:20 PM »

I do a similar thing, except kI ride as far as I can go on snowpacked roads on my karate monkey, then when it gets too soft to ride, I throw on my snowshoes and keep going. I have wanted to try the same with skis though.

"what now ma nature, what now hahaha?!?!"
(cue hailstorm)

Topic Name: multi-mode trips- bike/ski Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:11:14 PM
Lonesome Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:11:14 PM »

It's not pretty, but this was my setup for a tri-modal (bike, hike, ski) trip I did last winter.  I bike with skis fairly frequently because it's often quite some distance to a ski trail.  Sometimes skis can be strapped to the top tube, sometimes it's better to sling them across your back. 

If you try a sled you'll need to have some type of rigid pole system.  If you're feeling rich you could try a Chariot child trailer with ski kit. 

-Matt Maxwell

Topic Name: multi-mode trips- bike/ski Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:15:05 AM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:15:05 AM »

I favor the flying spear arrangment: skis lashed to the TT with bindings around the HT area, with the tips sticking out into space.  I use my mtn bike to access spring THs for BC skiing.

Topic Name: multi-mode trips- bike/ski Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 09:10:36 PM
tRoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 09:10:36 PM »

Day trip with skis.

Day trip with splitboard. 

This really only works on wide trails!  But with the pack on the front and board, boots poles on the back it works pretty good. 
I may try setting up the blanks as an a-frame set up over the back rack and that may allow some single-track approaches. 

Topic Name: multi-mode trips- bike/ski Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 10:00:15 AM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »

Only pulled the sled around the parking lot...

Movie:

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: