Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: insulation for a drinking bladder hose on: November 07, 2016, 10:49:44 AM
vermont

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:49:44 AM »

I'm going to make myself a backpack specifically for XC skiing/hiking (my camelback is the perfect size for summer, so this one is for the winter).  The only way I have found to prevent a drinking hose from freezing up is to lift it above my head and empty if of all water.  What to people think if the insulated hose cozies.  Would a black fleece and nylon insulation do anything?
Thanks,
Unrelated to my question is my other winter idea is putting foam backing only on the side and let the bladder sit close to my back.

Topic Name: insulation for a drinking bladder hose Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 03:51:05 PM
black_labb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 03:51:05 PM »

I've been living in Australia for the last 17 years so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I'd combine some sort of wind/waterproof sleeve over the thermal insulation to keep wind from blowing the cold through the insulation if it is fibrous. Maybe even the insulation used for copper pipes from the hardware store just to try it out.  If practical you could maybe route the hose through your clothing but that could cool you down more than you want if the water in the bag gets cold. 

Topic Name: insulation for a drinking bladder hose Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 05:06:01 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 05:06:01 PM »

Check out the Camelbak Milspec Antidote. It has an insulated hose and may be just the ticket.

http://www.camelbak.com/Military%20Tactical/antidotelandingpage

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: insulation for a drinking bladder hose Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 05:26:10 PM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 05:26:10 PM »

Blowing air back into the bladder after every drink helps. You have to "burp" the bladder before & during the ride by inverting & sucking the excess air out so as not to pressurize.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

What don't Kill You, only makes You Smell Stronger

Topic Name: insulation for a drinking bladder hose Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 12:03:19 PM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 12:03:19 PM »

Insulate the ~half of the hose that's away from your body and facing your outer layers.

Leave the ~half that's against your body uninsulated, so that your body heat can affect it.

This assumes that you'll wear the pack against your base layer, and under everything else.

I've been doing it this way for 15+ years now, including multiple traverses of the Iditarod, in winter.  

Topic Name: insulation for a drinking bladder hose Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 09:07:31 AM
gregclimbs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »

I've had good luck when using the camelbak race vest instead of a pack. It is meant for summertime road/tri riding. It puts the bladder right on your back and your body heat keeps things warm, the hose sits inside your clothes as well. The only real drawbacks I see is it is 70oz, not 100. It is under all your clothes so a PITA to add/remove/refill. If you are adventure riding and filtering water, then you can just pump/filter direct into the bladder as I have done in the past. For day riding, it is great.  Oh and your clothes need to be big enough to accommodate the bump...

Topic Name: insulation for a drinking bladder hose Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:38:15 AM
gregclimbs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:38:15 AM »

I am eager to try the new hydrapak hose that is molded as one with the insulation (as opposed to a neoprene cover of a camelbak).

http://hydrapak.com/shop/accessories/hydrafusion-tube-kit-119

Nice thing is that both brands now use the same plug interface so you can run a HP tube into a CB bladder and vice versa...

looks promising...

g
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: