Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Glove Suggestions? on: October 29, 2009, 09:08:55 AM
Falstaff

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2009, 09:08:55 AM »

I've pretty much nailed the rest of my cold-ish weather gear but my hands are always cold.  I'm looking for some gloves that are waterproof & windproof and that would be good down to the low to mid 20's degrees F.  Prefer something that doesn't come all the way up to my elbows.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:21:46 AM by Falstaff » Logged

Topic Name: Glove Suggestions? Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 10:33:12 AM
tRoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »

The only gloves that keep me warm in those temps are good ski gloves. 
These are my current gloves. 
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Marmot-Work-Glove/MAR0075M.html

Today on my commute the temp was 20 degrees and windy with some snow on the road and trail.  I decided to use my
old black diamond snowboard mittens that I converted into lobster gloves.  Those are the bomb but certainly they are move cumbersome. 

Topic Name: Glove Suggestions? Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:24:58 PM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:24:58 PM »

Unless you wear kitchen gloves, waterproof gloves do not exist.  Goretex or not. 

If you ride a lot below freezing you need pogies.  Period.

Topic Name: Glove Suggestions? Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 03:21:47 PM
mnmtb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 03:21:47 PM »

I live in Minnesota and have used the Descente Wombat gloves for a few years.  Not perfect, but they do work pretty well when it is lightly raining and/or windy.

I like the little cover that can go over my fingers.  It warms them up well and then can pull the cover back to cooloff or if I start to sweat.

http://www.rei.com/product/776693

Topic Name: Glove Suggestions? Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 08:09:06 AM
the_mc5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 08:09:06 AM »

For 'totally waterproof/windproof' you could try rubber, and add a wool or poly liner for insulation. A neoprene paddling glove, a rubber-dipped work glove, or this season I've seen unlined rubber gloves at the bike shop. The insulation still gets wet from above at the cuff, and from the inside by sweat, pretty quick if you are active. But it is warm, like a wetsuit.  And by having a separate rubber/nonabsorbent and insulating/absorbent glove together, you can remove and dry the insulator at night, in your sleeping bag by body heat if it comes to it, and shove it back into the rubber the next day.

Topic Name: Glove Suggestions? Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 09:48:06 AM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 09:48:06 AM »

I wear lobsters and pull them off if my hands get hot or put on a thin liner instead. I don't really think waterproof exists. Keeping hands just on the barely comfortable side of cold works well for me. Riding in the 30 deg and rain/snow is the worst so I usually don't (sorry Jill). Colder or warmer is less of a problem.

When riding without being able to go home overnight, I will "save" my gloves sometimes and just ride bare handed if it's raining hard but that doesn't work in the 20's, more like 40s.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Glove Suggestions? Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 06:54:57 AM
Falstaff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 06:54:57 AM »

Thanks for the input and suggestions guys.  I appreciate it.  Time to do some experimenting.

Topic Name: Glove Suggestions? Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 10:07:55 AM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 10:07:55 AM »

The problem with neoprene is that it isn't windproof, and the convective heat loss makes them not so effective on the bike without something else (perhaps latex liners?).

Topic Name: Glove Suggestions? Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 07:21:03 AM
timroz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 07:21:03 AM »

I got a pair of these at the patagucci outlet in Santa Cruz for $10.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/windproof-gloves?p=34554-0-155

They are windproof and light.  Good for temps between cycling gloves and lobster gloves.  I can't put lobsters on above +25 without sweating them out in about 10 minutes.  They were the perfect glove for the cold CTR mornings.  +20 to +40 and dry.  I don't think I'd pay $60 for them though.

When I discovered Pogies I kind of retired the lobster gloves.

Topic Name: Glove Suggestions? Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 01:30:13 PM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 01:30:13 PM »

For my riding (down to about 15F) I ride with a mix of hand protection:  Warmer temps,  military surplus wool gloves (about $6 a pair) (there are also surplus leather glove shells available, but I haven't messed with them), when it gets cooler, fleece mittens with overmitts.  A lot of times I changing between the glooves and mitts durring a ride.  I find I don't need individual finger dexterity to ride and brake.

Topic Name: Glove Suggestions? Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 10:36:32 AM
Kid Riemer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 10:36:32 AM »

If you don't need finger dexterity ride with mittens instead of gloves. Let your fingers keep contact with each other so they can share warmth.
Don't wear anything too tight. That will just stop circulation.
You need to keep the moisture moving away from your fingers and you need something that stops the wind from cutting through.
In truly cold weather (well below freezing) there is no reason to have waterproof gloves. There isn't any water at that temperature so help your hands out by using the most breathable options you can.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: