Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: GDMBR in march/april/may on: May 02, 2016, 09:58:40 AM
heravanwillick

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2016, 09:58:40 AM »

Hi!

Does anybody know of anyone who has cycled the GDMBR north to south starting in march??
I know it's kinda crazy... but I want to know if it's TOO crazy.

I'm an experienced bicycletraveller (heavy loaded)...
what are your thoughts??

www.facebook.com/heravanwillick
www.heravanwillick.nl

Topic Name: GDMBR in march/april/may Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 05:48:14 PM
kj78133

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 05:48:14 PM »

I know Billy Rice went northbound last year early enough to make it to Banff for the Grand Depart.  He certainly started later than March, but had to bail on the route in northern NM/southern CO due to snow.  (If my memory is accurate.)  You may be able to read some about it in last year's TD discussion thread(s) or by checking out Billy's Facebook.

KJ

Topic Name: GDMBR in march/april/may Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:46:19 AM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:46:19 AM »

Well, I guess anything is possible.  Except what you are suggesting!  icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin 

Deep fresh unpacked snow through the mountains is not something that you could HAB through.  The bike would have to be on a sled or something.  I live on route in Salida....going skiing today. 

Topic Name: GDMBR in march/april/may Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 12:46:13 AM
heravanwillick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 12:46:13 AM »

Hahahahahahaha...
Thanks guys!!

I guess I'll look for an alternative for the spring months and then come back for the GD in june/july!

Topic Name: GDMBR in march/april/may Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 02:57:42 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 02:57:42 PM »

Part of the GDMBR has been ridden the winter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa_28YltsuY

It's an interesting thought experiment. Parts of the route would be dry or plowed. Parts would have some snowmobile traffic and might be rideable with a fat bike. A fair portion would be full snowshoeing and ice ax terrain, carrying the bike (and being wary of avalanche danger.) It would take a lot of research and time to pull it off, but perhaps someone will attempt it someday.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com

Topic Name: GDMBR in march/april/may Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 07:03:01 AM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 07:03:01 AM »

Hahahahahahaha...
Thanks guys!!

I guess I'll look for an alternative for the spring months and then come back for the GD in june/july!

If you're a glutton for punishment, you might come down to Arizona and give the AZT a try. It isn't a series of forest service type stuff, mostly single track with a large helping of HAB. But, there are those that dig it. Even in April, down in the desert, winter can still be an issue. The route does go completely across northern Arizona and snow can be in issue. Oh, you get to carry your bike through the Grand Canyon as a bonus.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: