Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: First Fat on: December 14, 2010, 10:18:09 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2010, 10:18:09 AM »

First ride on a fatbike.
Surly complete build. Couldn't pass it up as an entry level bike for winter...

4-6" of fresh snow. Interesting in the woods. Fast(ish) on the stamped down bike path. Fun on the beach.
Have to learn how to gauge pressure for conditions.

It isn't as heavy as I thought.
Slight uphill, in fresh snow, in a headwind is work!
Bouncy bouncy bouncy on those tires. Too fun.

Some improvements I will make:

Trigger shifters have to go! Thumbies with bar ends will replace them.
I'll probably swap my Mr. Whirly for the stock crank.
Bars are OK. Will probably swap to H-bars or the Soma Odin I've run on the SS.
When my Lake's arrive I may move my Time pedals over, after I get a feel for the handling.
Going to sew up a set of bar mitts this winter.
Add a spare single speed freewheel to the front... (wish it was stock with a fixed hub...)

Long term:
Gain some winter skills and fitness. Whole different world than pushing the studded SS around.
Alfine 8 or 11 rear wheel.
Lose the FD if possible.
Custom frame bag to match my Epic harness and seatbag.

Too fun. Wish I'd done this years ago.

Topic Name: First Fat Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:45:01 AM
Solrider

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:45:01 AM »

Very cool...I had an old Felt cruiser with the fat tires and man that thing was a ton-o-fun to ride.  I keep trying to justify buying one of these Surlys but we have no beach, nor snow here in Phoenix.   Wink

Topic Name: First Fat Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 07:24:19 PM
J-No

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 07:24:19 PM »

Does it just take a standard threaded SS freewheel?  If so, mine is the same.  I spun a fixed cog on there with loctite.  It will only come off if you pedal backward.

No ideal, but it will get you home.

Topic Name: First Fat Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 02:34:22 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »

BMike,

I'd think twice about the Alfine if I were you.  I have an 8-speed Alfine on my commuter and I absolutely love it, but its one flaw is cold-weather performance.  Shifting becomes progressively worse as the temperature drops, until, when cold enough, the hub pretty much doesn't shift.  Haven't yet tried pulling the hub apart and using a less-viscous lube - not that big of a deal for my town rides - but I've heard that may make a difference.  I don't have a Pugs of my own yet, but if I did I would want an IGH rather than a derailleur setup.  Unfortunately my experience with the Alfine (my hub as well as customers' hubs) would make me pursue other options.  I'm quite curious about the 11-speed version, but Shimano's booth at Interbike was too busy to ask questions...

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: First Fat Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:03:37 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:03:37 PM »

Thanks for the first hand experience with the Alfine. I'd wait for the 11 speed option  and I think the oil will be better in the cold than the grease in the 8.

Topic Name: First Fat Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 06:18:38 AM
Keith K

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 06:18:38 AM »

I have the 8 Speed Alfine on my commuter and also love it. However, since I live in San Diego, I don't have to worry about the cold weather. I had wondered about the shifting in cold weather. The hub is filled with oil already. I have the oil replaced annually, and Shimano specifies a certain oil. Have you tried asking Shimano if they have another recommended oil for colder temperatures? I used to work on shipboard radar systems and the gear boxes called for a type of oil that would work in very cold temperatures anywhere in the world, so I know there are other oils out there. Curious to know more about the 11 speed. Will do some Google searching.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:22:49 AM by Keith K » Logged

Topic Name: First Fat Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 09:51:49 AM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 09:51:49 AM »

Very cool...I had an old Felt cruiser with the fat tires and man that thing was a ton-o-fun to ride.  I keep trying to justify buying one of these Surlys but we have no beach, nor snow here in Phoenix.   Wink

I could be wrong, but isn't there sand near there, what with it being in the 'desert southwest'?

Topic Name: First Fat Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 12:01:47 PM
Keith K

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 12:01:47 PM »

There is plenty of sand, but I haven't gone to an internal hub on my MTB. With the Shimano 11 speed, I may be looking at getting a new MTB. Not many bikes allow an internal hub. Will be doing some research. Appreciate any suggestions. Must be a 29er.

Topic Name: First Fat Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 06:23:04 AM
moosevt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 06:23:04 AM »

BMike,

I'd think twice about the Alfine if I were you.  I have an 8-speed Alfine on my commuter and I absolutely love it, but its one flaw is cold-weather performance.  Shifting becomes progressively worse as the temperature drops, until, when cold enough, the hub pretty much doesn't shift.  Haven't yet tried pulling the hub apart and using a less-viscous lube - not that big of a deal for my town rides - but I've heard that may make a difference.  I don't have a Pugs of my own yet, but if I did I would want an IGH rather than a derailleur setup.  Unfortunately my experience with the Alfine (my hub as well as customers' hubs) would make me pursue other options.  I'm quite curious about the 11-speed version, but Shimano's booth at Interbike was too busy to ask questions...

I put the Alfine 8 on my Bianchi San Jose (which is SS) and rode all winter commuting to work, about 100 miles a week. Not to mention three centuries that I managed to do starting in Jan. '11. I would not hesitate to recommend this hub for any season. We had tons of days that went below -15* not to mention the slush, grime, and salt of winter. I now continue to run it getting into Spring. I'm glad I invested in it and will do it again. I have my eye on trying the 11 speed.

bikecycology.blogspot.com
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: