Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Face Warmth on: December 20, 2009, 10:23:35 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:23:35 AM »

Any magic face warmers out there?
I tend to freeze my neck gaiter, steam up (then frost) my glasses with traditional balaclava's... have tried a scarf, etc. etc.

What are the winter riders using?

I'm curious about these:

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:33:30 PM
jeremy11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:33:30 PM »

My primary insulation is the beard.  But unfortunately it doesn't cover my nose as well, so I carry a velcro on face mask (It is also neoprene, and I think from Serius) just in case it gets really cold so my nose doesn't fall off.  Unfortunately this makes my glasses fog up pretty easily...... us 4 eyed nerds have it rough.
That balaclava would work fine if you are into the neoprene thing and it fits comfortably.

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 02:29:12 PM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 02:29:12 PM »

a generous layer of burt's bees hand salve will keep frost bite away, but won't really add that much warmth. The anti-fog balaclaves haven't worked for me in the past at all.

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:56:55 PM
mtjoe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:56:55 PM »

I wear a thin bali under my snowboard helmet, with my face open, then use a neckwarmer pulled up over my nose when it gets really cold.  Works well and doesn't make me feel like I can't get enough air.

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 05:55:42 AM
JayP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 05:55:42 AM »

hat for your head.
ear warmer worn lower across your nose covering your cheeks.
a Buff or neck gaitor for your neck pulled up to your lower lip.

this allows multiple flexible set ups with ability to breath in to the air not the piece of gear.

try cutting holes into your mask/gaitor.

cut strips from a Buff of a neck gaitor to make a nose gaitor/strip.

without exhailing into the air you will build up moisture onto any  balaclava or piece over your mouth which results into steamy glasses and wet frozen face gear.

don't buy more stuff modify what you have...keep playing you'll get it.

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 06:15:44 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 06:15:44 AM »

ahhh. interesting.
will try.
went with the face uncovered this morning. just a balaclava on, hat on top of that. worked ok, but no glasses this morning.
need the clear lenses when its snowing or for descents...

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 06:38:56 AM
J-No

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 06:38:56 AM »

hat for your head.
a Buff or neck gaitor for your neck pulled up to your lower lip.

this allows multiple flexible set ups with ability to breath in to the air not the piece of gear.

try cutting holes into your mask/gaitor.

cut strips from a Buff of a neck gaitor to make a nose gaitor/strip.

without exhailing into the air you will build up moisture onto any  balaclava or piece over your mouth which results into steamy glasses and wet frozen face gear.

don't buy more stuff modify what you have...keep playing you'll get it.

I'm going to try that.  I wear a balaclava and then a velcro neoprene face mask that has a nose cut out in it.  I cut a hole for the mouth so I can eat/breath/drink.  It is a bit cumbersome.

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 12:45:28 PM
Slim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 12:45:28 PM »

I have tried the face masks in the past and find them very annoying, they often slip around and end fog up glasses/goggles. I prefer to cut out a full mouth sized opening if the upper lip will stay in place.

I have come up with some unorthodox solutions:
I realized that if I was biking hard it was only the wind that gave me problems (with a good layer of vaseline on) not actual temp. So I want to shield my nose and lips from the wind without restricting airflow. Ever try holding a (big) hand in front of your face? Works wonders for the face, not so great riding though.

So I made a little ducttape nose cover attached to my goggles and wore my full face helmet with the front vent taped up. Keeps the ears warm to, like my ski helmet. Looks odd on the road bike but combined with a thin balaclava around the side of the face and a neck gaiter underneath it keeps everything warm and allows the snot and moist air out.

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:23:16 PM
Damnitman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:23:16 PM »

Unless it's really warm I wear two or three Balaclavas and a skullcap, lightweight polypro type stuff...I wear the bottom one around my chin, and I wear the top one over my lips until it gets frosted and frozen.  Then I stretch it out to form a pocket in front of my mouth...works good unless a) I'm riding with the wind to my back...in which case I kind of do a breast stroke breathing maneuver as I ride, which kind of sucks or b) it's REALLY cold / windy in which case I pull out the "NO-FOG" mask http://www.nofogusa.com/NO-FOG.htm and then I'm good to go (the big floppy neoprene bit in front of the mouth / nose really helps keep your breath from getting near your lenses)...though I might recommend applying a bit of neoprene cement to the seams (from the outside of the mask) to help wind-proof the mask that much more...  (I had to do this with the mask I got 8 yrs ago, though not with the replacement I bought last year).  I completely endorse the no-fog mask (don't know about the "extreme" model listed).  Many times a trail will make a turn into a strong wind, or a big blow will come up and I'll throw the mask on and not even need to layer-up anything else, not always, but many times...In addition I slather dermatone on my cheeks, forehead, nose lips and eyelids before I ride and carry more on my bike for later...I also kind of modified the foam gasket frame thingy that attaches to my Rx sunglasses...I cut the foam out of the top of the frame to allow more air to enter behind the lenses and allow moisture a place to go...the foam on the sides and bottom help keep breath from getting to the lenses and fogging them...Oh, and facial hair helps provide an added layer of dead airspace for insulation under the balaclavas but hurts like a sum'bich if you forget it's frozen to a bali when you take it off...I guess I jumbled insulation and mitigating fogged glasses together, but I think most if it is here...

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 12:00:40 AM
tomalgaja

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 12:00:40 AM »

A device for retaining face warmth, formed of an integral, one-piece, generally planar blank of rigid material having a metallized surface on at least one planar side. The blank is cut and scored to provide walls which fold toward the metallized surface to form a self-supporting enclosure for a human head. A rear wall is provided which includes a horizontally central extent approximating the perimeter dimension of a human head and which is tapered from its bottom edge to at least a region above said central extent.

stud
american bully's

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 05:53:20 AM
ledlauzis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 05:53:20 AM »

Hat for the head. Ear warmer worn reduce across your nose covering your cheeks. A buff or neck gaitor for the neck pulled as much as your reduce lip. This enables numerous flexible set ups with capability to breath in towards the air not the piece of equipment. Attempt cutting holes into your mask/gaitor. Cut strips from a buff of the neck gaitor to create a nose gaitor/strip. Without having exhailing to the air you'll develop up moisture onto any balaclava or piece more than your mouth which outcomes into steamy glasses and wet frozen face equipment. Don't purchase much more stuff modify what you've maintain playing you will get it.

See my best acne products and provillus website!

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 06:16:31 AM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 06:16:31 AM »

Hickory smoked spam.

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 12:25:48 AM
Damnitman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 12:25:48 AM »

...you smear your face with spam?

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 06:41:38 AM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 06:41:38 AM »

Sure do! Brings all the girls to the yard... Not really.

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 11:27:49 PM
Damnitman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 11:27:49 PM »

...I've used it as a chamois creme, but c'mon...

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 11:10:47 AM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 11:10:47 AM »

Gristle massaging beads for the ultimate in undercarriage comfort!

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 09:30:55 PM
Kevinscamps

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 09:30:55 PM »

I am surprised nobody has mentioned ski helmets. I where my ski helmet with no hat down to 30 or so then add balaclava from mountain hardware. I pull the face mask up as needed. I like this one best because you don't breath through anything. It has "lips" you breath through.  Goggles work way better then sunglasses.

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 12:01:56 PM
ascar_larkinyar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »

Balaclava or a neck garter in combo with a beany that covers the ears or a neoprene face cover that has little holes for the mouth.

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 05:23:25 AM
jamescyco

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 05:23:25 AM »

Think WWI flying ace. A knit scarf (muffler) is one of the best winter items I've found when the weather is brutally cold, like it is so often here in North Dakota. Unlike balaclavas or other face protection I've tried including the fancy schmancy ones, condensation doesn't build up near as bad. When it does, just rotate it to a dry spot. I've found the mufflers with large weaves, either wool or acrylic, work best to breathe through. Duh. Have granny knit you one up.

Topic Name: Face Warmth Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 03:01:20 PM
MPS

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »

Coldavenger are nice, if you are wearing glasses. http://shop.coldavenger.com/

I currently use balaklava with ski googles and my regular glasses underneath. Works as well, but can be uncomfortable.

www.unlocked-achievements.com - Cycling to every country in the world
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: