Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 06:20:06 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 06:20:06 PM »

Anyone know who has the best time for 55+ ?

I haven't kept up with the results for a few years.........

Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 05:15:48 AM
hruss

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 05:15:48 AM »

I finished in 31 days last year (64 years old) with Drew Stuntz (20 years old). I believe someone else finished a head of me who was 66 years old. Planning on giving it another go this year to try to get there in a more competitive time.

Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 06:53:24 AM
JeffM-VT

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 06:53:24 AM »

James Hodges (age 62) has finished several times with this year being his fastest time.  Robert Orr (age 58) was probably the fastest 55+ rider this year finishing in 22 days ?? hours.  Despite losing almost 2 days in Pinedale, WY due to knee issues.  Robert could have possibly finished in under 20 days without the knee issues and if he had chosen to push it.  Until Pinedale, WY he rode with Kent Davidson (age 62 - mentioned in previous post in this forum) and Kent claimed that he was holding Robert back.  Robert and Kent have a long history of road racing and adventure racing together.

James, Kent and Rob were 3 of my favorite riders out there.  All extremely fit (I wish I had half the leg muscle that James and Kent have) and seemingly in it mainly for the adventure and camaraderie.  Definitely great examples for the rest of us when we get close to 60.  None of them were doing blogs or following what was being said in the TD 13 forum (at least I don't think they were).  When reading all of the (in my opinion) ridiculous posts about what a competitive TD time is, whether there should be a "relegated rider" trackleaders screen, etc. I always wondered what the opinion of these 3 veteran riders would be.  I personally hope that we leave everything the way it is now (it is perfect) unless the Grand Depart numbers get so large that something absolutely has to be done.  And hopefully I didn't just cause this discussion to start again.

I'm 54 and finished this year in 23 days and 17 hours.  I don't believe age played any part in how fast I finished other than that it gave me the experience to never once think about quitting.  Not sure that would have been the case when I was in my 20's.  I think there are a lot of folks out there in their 50's, 60's and even 70's that could put in very fast times if they chose to do the Tour Divide.  I know a bunch from New England where we have some incredible master xc skiers and cyclists.

It also should be noted that 8th place finisher Saemi Burkart (from Switzerland) is 51.  Great job!

I was definitely impressed by all of the riders under the age of 25.  Lot of strong young riders this year.  All of them are pretty amazing!

Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 07:36:34 PM
Pdk123

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 07:36:34 PM »

Peter Jr. Was 20 as well. Interesting that both of the 20 year olds are majoring in Engineering.

Peter Kraft Sr.

Peter Kraft Sr.

Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 06:16:38 AM
sheilar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 06:16:38 AM »

For the women - I turned 50 the month after finishing in 2011.  Just under 29 days.
sr

Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 08:24:43 AM
Thumby

Tell me, where is this mythical convenience store?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 08:24:43 AM »

David Horton of VA was "around" 62 I think when he finished in 2011. 

Tour Divide 2011 GD

I live on a big round ball, I never do dream I may fall.
And even if one day I do, I'll jump off and smile back at you.  -Jesse Winchester

Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 03:21:50 PM
Big River

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 03:21:50 PM »

I have also wondered how Tour Divide competitors have stacked up age wise.   In 2011 I arrived at Antelope Well after 21 days, 6 hours, and 40 minutes.   At the time I was 57 years old.   Afterwards I spent a lot of time analyzing my ride and the mistakes I made and what I would do differently.   I also noticed that most riders that do the tour again improve their times.   Route knowledge seems to be a huge factor.   With that in mind I started planning for a return in 2012, but unfortunately a couple of months after arriving back home I found myself in a rehabilitation facility without a clue how I got there.   I still remember the first thing they taught me to say " Hi, my name is John Richardson and I have a traumatic brain injury so I may seem confused."   I was told that on my commute home from work (a ride I've done hundreds of time without incident) I was struck from behind by a 1 ton cargo van going 55 mph.   I spent 3 weeks in ICU but have no memory of it.   Besides the traumatic brain injury I had along list of other injuries.   Certainly makes me thankful I was wearing a helmet.   After talking with the Highway Patrolman that investigated the accident and the guy that witnessed it and called it in, I realized how truly lucky I was.   The Patrolman told me that he had very little hope that I would survive.   He felt I was taking my last labored breaths, and the poor guy that saw it all was so shook up he had to get some counseling.
It's been a major challenge trying to get back to where I was.   I was restricted from doing any cycling or trail running for 6 months after I got out of rehab because I had some issues with balance and coordination, but I did get the okay to jog on the roads and ride my bike trainer.   In the last two years I've competed in many 5K and 10K races, and done 3 cross state bike tours plus 3 Marathons winning my age division in 2 of them.
I feel just as my Doctors do, that being in good physical condition was key to my survival and fast recovery, and I feel much of the credit for that belongs to the Tour Divide.   It's a great cycling challenge and one heck of an amazing adventure enjoyed and endured with the very best of fellow competitors.   Even with putting some lingering crash issues aside it's doubtful I'll compete in the Tour Divide again.   No one beats Farther Time.    But.... never say never.
I hope this post is readable and sorry if I rambled on a bit much, but remember I have a good excuse, I've had a traumatic brain injury so I might seem confused...

Cheers!  Big River John

Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 03:29:11 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 03:29:11 PM »

I have also wondered how Tour Divide competitors have stacked up age wise.   In 2011 I arrived at Antelope Well after 21 days, 6 hours, and 40 minutes.   At the time I was 57 years old.   Afterwards I spent a lot of time analyzing my ride and the mistakes I made and what I would do differently.   I also noticed that most riders that do the tour again improve their times.   Route knowledge seems to be a huge factor.   With that in mind I started planning for a return in 2012, but unfortunately a couple of months after arriving back home I found myself in a rehabilitation facility without a clue how I got there.   I still remember the first thing they taught me to say " Hi, my name is John Richardson and I have a traumatic brain injury so I may seem confused."   I was told that on my commute home from work (a ride I've done hundreds of time without incident) I was struck from behind by a 1 ton cargo van going 55 mph.   I spent 3 weeks in ICU but have no memory of it.   Besides the traumatic brain injury I had along list of other injuries.   Certainly makes me thankful I was wearing a helmet.   After talking with the Highway Patrolman that investigated the accident and the guy that witnessed it and called it in, I realized how truly lucky I was.   The Patrolman told me that he had very little hope that I would survive.   He felt I was taking my last labored breaths, and the poor guy that saw it all was so shook up he had to get some counseling.
It's been a major challenge trying to get back to where I was.   I was restricted from doing any cycling or trail running for 6 months after I got out of rehab because I had some issues with balance and coordination, but I did get the okay to jog on the roads and ride my bike trainer.   In the last two years I've competed in many 5K and 10K races, and done 3 cross state bike tours plus 3 Marathons winning my age division in 2 of them.
I feel just as my Doctors do, that being in good physical condition was key to my survival and fast recovery, and I feel much of the credit for that belongs to the Tour Divide.   It's a great cycling challenge and one heck of an amazing adventure enjoyed and endured with the very best of fellow competitors.   Even with putting some lingering crash issues aside it's doubtful I'll compete in the Tour Divide again.   No one beats Farther Time.    But.... never say never.
I hope this post is readable and sorry if I rambled on a bit much, but remember I have a good excuse, I've had a traumatic brain injury so I might seem confused...

Cheers!  Big River John

You sound less confused than me, John.  Best of luck in all your endeavors!

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 05:35:11 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »

I have also wondered how Tour Divide competitors have stacked up age wise.   In 2011 I arrived at Antelope Well after 21 days, 6 hours, and 40 minutes.   At the time I was 57 years old.   Afterwards I spent a lot of time analyzing my ride and the mistakes I made and what I would do differently.   I also noticed that most riders that do the tour again improve their times.   Route knowledge seems to be a huge factor.   With that in mind I started planning for a return in 2012, but unfortunately a couple of months after arriving back home I found myself in a rehabilitation facility without a clue how I got there.   I still remember the first thing they taught me to say " Hi, my name is John Richardson and I have a traumatic brain injury so I may seem confused."   I was told that on my commute home from work (a ride I've done hundreds of time without incident) I was struck from behind by a 1 ton cargo van going 55 mph.   I spent 3 weeks in ICU but have no memory of it.   Besides the traumatic brain injury I had along list of other injuries.   Certainly makes me thankful I was wearing a helmet.   After talking with the Highway Patrolman that investigated the accident and the guy that witnessed it and called it in, I realized how truly lucky I was.   The Patrolman told me that he had very little hope that I would survive.   He felt I was taking my last labored breaths, and the poor guy that saw it all was so shook up he had to get some counseling.
It's been a major challenge trying to get back to where I was.   I was restricted from doing any cycling or trail running for 6 months after I got out of rehab because I had some issues with balance and coordination, but I did get the okay to jog on the roads and ride my bike trainer.   In the last two years I've competed in many 5K and 10K races, and done 3 cross state bike tours plus 3 Marathons winning my age division in 2 of them.
I feel just as my Doctors do, that being in good physical condition was key to my survival and fast recovery, and I feel much of the credit for that belongs to the Tour Divide.   It's a great cycling challenge and one heck of an amazing adventure enjoyed and endured with the very best of fellow competitors.   Even with putting some lingering crash issues aside it's doubtful I'll compete in the Tour Divide again.   No one beats Farther Time.    But.... never say never.

Cheers!  Big River John

Wow!!  You never know what life will deal but you seem to have made an excellent recovery--so could 2014 be in the cards for you?

(maybe we could have a 'old man' race, 54yrs in 2010--21:18:24)

Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 01:04:15 AM
superdavebruno

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 01:04:15 AM »

Always funny reading Bikepacking how much gets boiled down into numbers and statistics, somehow. There's surely nothing wrong with that, so long as people are getting inspired to get out there, the numbers just help us all get out there!

Number-of-the-day: Since 2011 all I can think about at this time of morning is the smell of Biscuits, Bacon and Coffee at Jax Cafe in Eureka, Montana for $7.99! Heaven on Earth!!

Huge respect for you, Big River John, keep on going brother.

Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 07:41:25 AM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 07:41:25 AM »

I have also wondered how Tour Divide competitors have stacked up age wise.   In 2011 I arrived at Antelope Well after 21 days, 6 hours, and 40 minutes.   At the time I was 57 years old.   Afterwards I spent a lot of time analyzing my ride and the mistakes I made and what I would do differently.   I also noticed that most riders that do the tour again improve their times.   Route knowledge seems to be a huge factor.   With that in mind I started planning for a return in 2012, but unfortunately a couple of months after arriving back home I found myself in a rehabilitation facility without a clue how I got there.   I still remember the first thing they taught me to say " Hi, my name is John Richardson and I have a traumatic brain injury so I may seem confused."   I was told that on my commute home from work (a ride I've done hundreds of time without incident) I was struck from behind by a 1 ton cargo van going 55 mph.   I spent 3 weeks in ICU but have no memory of it.   Besides the traumatic brain injury I had along list of other injuries.   Certainly makes me thankful I was wearing a helmet.   After talking with the Highway Patrolman that investigated the accident and the guy that witnessed it and called it in, I realized how truly lucky I was.   The Patrolman told me that he had very little hope that I would survive.   He felt I was taking my last labored breaths, and the poor guy that saw it all was so shook up he had to get some counseling.
It's been a major challenge trying to get back to where I was.   I was restricted from doing any cycling or trail running for 6 months after I got out of rehab because I had some issues with balance and coordination, but I did get the okay to jog on the roads and ride my bike trainer.   In the last two years I've competed in many 5K and 10K races, and done 3 cross state bike tours plus 3 Marathons winning my age division in 2 of them.
I feel just as my Doctors do, that being in good physical condition was key to my survival and fast recovery, and I feel much of the credit for that belongs to the Tour Divide.   It's a great cycling challenge and one heck of an amazing adventure enjoyed and endured with the very best of fellow competitors.   Even with putting some lingering crash issues aside it's doubtful I'll compete in the Tour Divide again.   No one beats Farther Time.    But.... never say never.

Cheers!  Big River John

All I can say is wow, you're amazing for coming back from that. I, for one, am glad you're still around and riding a bike. Best wishes to you.

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 09:40:07 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 09:40:07 AM »

Always funny reading Bikepacking how much gets boiled down into numbers and statistics, somehow. There's surely nothing wrong with that, so long as people are getting inspired to get out there, the numbers just help us all get out there!

Number-of-the-day: Since 2011 all I can think about at this time of morning is the smell of Biscuits, Bacon and Coffee at Jax Cafe in Eureka, Montana for $7.99! Heaven on Earth!!

Huge respect for you, Big River John, keep on going brother.

In one sense numbers and statistics are not just interesting but rather they are required.  We pretty much have to use numbers and statistics to communicate concepts and attach value in written or verbal communication. 

But I think take your meaning, one can get too wrapped up in the numbers. 

Personally I want to embrace the entire TDR experience.  Which includes considering 2 rather significant numbers, age and finish times.

Which makes me curious about yours?

Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 09:40:49 PM
Super Grover

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »

Big River, You are my new Super Hero!!!  occasion14

Topic Name: Youngest and oldest GD racers? Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 09:20:48 AM
Veco

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 09:20:48 AM »

Rick Ashton (66) is the oldest.

http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide13i.php?name=Rick_Ashton

* resized.JPG (861.27 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 224 times.)
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: