Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: WTB Nano flatting, other options on: April 03, 2015, 06:25:46 AM
Inkerpok

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2015, 06:25:46 AM »

So for TDR I have been trying out the Nano TCS Light (the heavier of the 2 versions). I've had 3 rear tire flats in the last 500 miles that would not seal with stans and required tire plugs (which worked great). 2 of the flms were o highway shoulders so I didn't freak out, but then I had one this week on gravel that has me worried.

So I think I'm going to bail on the Nano, at least for the rear. I'm thinking about the Maxxis Ikon 2.2, 3Cspeed/EXO/TR (700g). Looks like a pretty fast tread and I've had really good experiences with the crossmark's reliability.

Any comments, experiences, or recommendations for a TDR tire?

Topic Name: WTB Nano flatting, other options Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 07:24:41 AM
Mauro_N

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 07:24:41 AM »

In 2013 I rode Conti X king 2.2 (front and rear), Specialized Fast track control 2.2 (rear) and Kenda Small block 8 2.2 (front). I had to replace the front X king in Whitefish due a tire bead issue, which was a result of a sleep deprived crash, it was replaced with a Kenda small block 8. The rear X king was replaced at the Outdoorsman  due to a small side wall cut that did not seal with Stans, which was replaced with the Specialized Fast track Control. I rode this combo to Antelope Wells with no issues at all.

I preferred the grip of the X king over the Specialized fast track control, I can't remember having an issue with the small bock 8's up front. One thing I have to say is that I was riding single speed so any extra grip on the climbs was helpful to stop the rear tire from spinning out.

I had no punctures that the Stans could not seal, well apart from the side wall cut.

Go with the tyre that you like the most, test them out and see how you like them. I prefer to have the extra grip and sacrifice a bit of rolling resistance, but that is just me as a single speeder.

Hope this helps.

Mauro

Topic Name: WTB Nano flatting, other options Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 12:42:38 PM
BrianR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 12:42:38 PM »

Conti Race King 2.2 Protection.  No punctures or sidewall issues for over 2000 miles of GDMBR including New Mexico.  I ran into about 6 other TD racers using the same tire and no one had any tire issues. This is a comfortable, very durable and fast tire with good traction for GDMBR conditions.

Topic Name: WTB Nano flatting, other options Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 07:11:08 PM
Inkerpok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 07:11:08 PM »

Thanks guys! I'll check that one out

Topic Name: WTB Nano flatting, other options Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 09:26:04 AM
Spaghetti89

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 09:26:04 AM »

2014 I rode maxxis crossmarks and didn't puncture once.

Topic Name: WTB Nano flatting, other options Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:33:51 AM
Inkerpok

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:33:51 AM »

I'm really liking the Maxxis Ikon that replaced the Nano on the rear, but the Crossmark might roll faster and I've used that tire a lot in the past. Thanks for the recommendation. Also still looking into the Conti.

Btw, I'm still rolling the Nano on the front and it's been flawless. Will probably stick with that up front.

Topic Name: WTB Nano flatting, other options Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 12:25:25 PM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 12:25:25 PM »

Rode TDR last year on a pair of Maxxis IKON EXO 2.2's and they did great. The Maxxis Crossmark EXO's roll faster with a more connected center bead but are also a bit heavier. I'd roll it again with IKON's or Crossmarks.

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: WTB Nano flatting, other options Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 06:48:22 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 06:48:22 PM »

I'd also recommend the Ikon 2.2 EXO. I've used them a TON and they are quite reliable and last quite long (even on the Arizona Trail, which says a lot about their durability). Conti sidewalls tend to be a bit problematic set up tubeless unless you go with the heavier tubeless-specific versions. Their rubber also wears much more quickly. But as usual, the best way to know what works for you is to try out the options.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: