Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Triple crown anyone? Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 10:57:35 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 10:57:35 AM »

Foster, awesome.  I'll be starting late in AZT 750, so maybe we might have some company.  Hope you can make the group day, though.

I guess late ITTs are OK for the triple crown since it only decreases your recovery time between events.  Whereas I told Max I thought a (significantly) early ITT of the AZT isn't quite what the challenge is about -- doing the events on the days they happen.  Otherwise you could ITT the AZT in March, Divide in the middle of summer and CTR in the fall -- spread them out as much as possible.   But I don't know.  Thoughts?

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Triple crown anyone? Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 01:19:31 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »

Cool, what day are you leaving Scott?  It looks like I will be starting late for sure.  I wanna give myself a couple days to get the bike together and sort out any issues I may have with my bike-packing kit. 

By the looks of it right now if my bike comes in by Friday the 19th then I will leave on Sunday the 21st.  With my schedule that gives me 10 days to finish, sleep and be back to school to give a presentation!  If it doesn't get here by Friday then I am not sure what I am going to do...possibly get an extension or a different date to present if possible.  Everything is so crammed in my schedule and up in the air.  So I am crossing my fingers.

I think a big part of the challenge is how closely spaced the races are together, makes your body extremely exhausted.  So doing one late isn't really an issue because it gives you less time to recover.  Time spacing for the races should be either the dates that are in place for group starts or closer/later if you can't make that happen.  I will be at the group start for all of them except the AZT, which I think would still qualify since it gives me less recover time.

Here is something to think about though...what if you did all ITT's but they were evenly spaced exactly like the group starts and in the same order?  Would this still count?  Obviously it changes some things such as timing with the weather and snow, and in some cases make things easier or harder depending.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 01:31:29 PM by Foster » Logged

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: Triple crown anyone? Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 01:42:49 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 01:42:49 PM »

Had to tell Max I agree with Scott you have to go on the preset out of your control dates. Lots of factors, recovery and weather issues. Having to go on someone eles's time line makes it harder. And that's the point right.

ITT's are great but when comparing one persons time to another it seams better if you had to handle the same weather. Not picking a really nice day to start on.

Foster if your bike is on the way and you have to start the AZT a couple of days late that's all good. It's somewhat out of your control. Starting the CTR late not so much if your using that extra time to recover. If you start all 3 the same number of days late well that's not too far out of line.

Not that I would ever consider this under taking myself. Hats off to any who even try all 3. Clearly you could, as Scott pointed out, make things easier (that doesn't sound right, less brutal maybe) by adjusting your start times. Clearly not the same as what Kurt S did last year.   
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: