Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? on: June 27, 2012, 07:52:16 PM
scooteremu

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2012, 07:52:16 PM »

I found this link:
http://www.gravelgrindernews.com/p/20122013-gravel-events-calendar.html

Has anyone done this race before? I am doing my last IM tri next year but also mixing a race or two like this in during the year to eventually move over to only bikepacking. Just looking to get some reviews.

Anyways, I have noticed a small amount of the starters actually finish, which is actually appealing in a funny way but why do most people drop? Elements, or...?

Last year's photos have a lot of the racers with cyclocross bikes but does anyone or just a small amount go with mtbs? I am quite stuck with my mtb, probably spent all my cash on the tri stuff, but I guess just looking to confidence that its not a bad idea to go out with a mtb. Yes, I know the website says you can use one.

Other pros and cons of the race?

Appreciate it!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:27:37 PM by scooteremu » Logged

I've gone crazy, couldn't you tell!

Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:36:05 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:36:05 PM »

Attempted it twice, photographed it twice, volunteered at a checkpoint once.

Lots of reasons for people not finishing.
Undertraining - How hard could 320 miles of gravel be? Gravel can be smooth and fast, slow and chunky, or you could be riding in mud.
Underestimating how hilly Iowa is. - I heard someone describe the course as "death by a 1000 papercuts".
Navigation - You get cue sheets, but the course is not marked. Unmarked roads at night. 4 AM start. You get the idea.
Weather - Late April weather can be wet, windy or both.
Mechanical issues - Flats. Derailleurs forcibly removed by mud. Broken spokes. (two guys this year finished without derailleurs on their bikes and coasted in)

A cross bike is generally lighter/faster. That said, people have finished on mountain bikes.

Race history is at http://guitarted1961.wordpress.com/

Hope this helps some. Smiley

Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:24:02 AM
Boney

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »

This year was my first Trans Iowa attempt and I DNFed around the 65 mile mark. I rode a 29er, and but will probably return with a cross setup next time I attempt the event.

On top of what Steve said, I think the high attrition rate has a lot to do with the strictly enforced checkpoint cutoffs which require racers to maintain an average speed of about 10mph. If the multi-day bikepacking races discussed on these forums ever adopted similar cutoffs, I'm sure we'd see a lot fewer finishers (or starters).

One further challenge that I struggled with this year was TI's 4am start time. I always toss and turn the night before a race, but the extreme early start contributed to me feeling borderline sleep deprived when the race began. From my outsiders perspective its hard to see why this start time exists other than to throw an additional challenge into the mix, but its part of what gives the race its own unique character and allure.

Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:40:12 AM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:40:12 AM »

I'm sure part of the reason for the early start time is so that the event doesn't drag later into Sunday.

Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 07:33:49 PM
scooteremu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 07:33:49 PM »

Thanks for all responses. Appreciate it. I am still looking to do it and we shall if the wife gives the go ahead. Just tinkering with a few things here and there. Do they always start in Grimmell and change the route every year? It makes it easier for me to make it there instead of swinging over to say...Council Bluffs.

Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 08:41:30 AM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 08:41:30 AM »

The start point has changed over the years, and has included Decorah, Williamsburg, and Grinnell since TI V4,  but the City of Grinnell has really embraced and supported the event over the last few years. Whether or not V9 (if it happens) will start in Grinnell is up to Guitar Ted.

Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 11:37:29 AM
scooteremu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »

Well lets hope the guitar comes to play again as I plan to be there.

Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 02:27:46 PM
scooteremu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »

I found this link:
http://www.gravelgrindernews.com/p/20122013-gravel-events-calendar.html

Is it on now? I don't know how reliable this source is.

Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 07:18:51 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 07:18:51 AM »

Bottom of the page says the site is maintained by Guitar Ted, so should be accurate concerning his own event.

Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 06:11:10 AM
ruthslp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 06:11:10 AM »

http://transiowa.blogspot.com/

it does seem on for 2013 now. i am debating trying it out.
kind of bummed the route is one that changes every year, so comparable times between the years is not possible, it's just like a real 'race'.
this is far for me, coming from PA, but still interested to do it once and see how it goes. once i plan the trip though i'm pretty committed even
if the weather would turn to a nasty forecast, that is the only thing about traveling so far:-(

Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 07:06:39 AM
scooteremu

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 07:06:39 AM »

http://transiowa.blogspot.com/

it does seem on for 2013 now. i am debating trying it out.
kind of bummed the route is one that changes every year, so comparable times between the years is not possible, it's just like a real 'race'.
this is far for me, coming from PA, but still interested to do it once and see how it goes. once i plan the trip though i'm pretty committed even
if the weather would turn to a nasty forecast, that is the only thing about traveling so far:-(

Yeah I saw on the website awhile back its on. I talked to GT and he said that a couple weeks before Thanksgiving should be the registration and even before that, there will be a blip about the signup and when it is. Not so committed coming from NW Indiana but regardless of the 4.5 hr drive, gotta do it. Just hope it doesn't rain. Should be fun though

Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 11:49:01 AM
Beardog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 11:49:01 AM »

A few questions for those who have raced it-do most ride a cross bike with drop down bars or mtb? are there checkpoint places to drop bags or resupply or do you pretty much carry what you need frm the start?

Beardog

Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 02:25:40 PM
scooteremu

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 02:25:40 PM »

I've read that most do cross but there have been 29ers and 26. I plan to do 26. There are checkpoints but I'm not sure they have food or water. I think in the past they have but I'm not betting on it. Take everything you need and get food, etc. in towns. Hope this helps.

I should be able to get in. One more until rookies can sign up. Might want to look at sending an overnight FedEx. This is advice from Ted himself.

Topic Name: Trans Iowa 2013 - I found this...is it on? Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 03:51:33 PM
Striker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »

Check out the TI blog for rules. "You are responsible for you".  You are on your own for food and water.  There will be points along the route to stop and resupply.  I have finished the last two years on a Salsa Vaya.  Personally I think MTB are way too much for this type of event.  Just ride what you brung but make sure you train with the same bike.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: