Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Trans Canada Trail on: October 29, 2012, 06:41:56 PM
Foster

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2012, 06:41:56 PM »

Looking around for major trails and this one popped up.

http://tctrail.ca/explore-the-trail/

Anyone ever ridden a major portion of this?  I am just wondering what it is like, how rideable is it?  I think I might be interested in doing the whole thing one day and maybe a significant portion of it in a couple of summers.  

Looks like it will be done around 2017.

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: Trans Canada Trail Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 01:24:41 PM
KootenayB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »

It is still in development in many areas, so it can range from smooth pavement to barely discernable track with rather unencouraging riding characteristics.

Good news though is that there is a major push on to complete the trail by 2017, as you mentioned.  And it will likely intersect or parallel the GDMBR in the Elk Valley area of BC.  Rumour is that there has been a route studied this year from Elk Pass to Cranbrook and beyond, to link to Vancouver fairly easily.  So, good stuff coming, but you may want to wait a couple years.

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who is rumoured to have done the whole trail on a bike, couple years ago I think.  If interested, might be able to hook you up?

Topic Name: Trans Canada Trail Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 02:07:08 PM
Eastman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 02:07:08 PM »

Here in Newfoundland the TCT is also referred to as the T'railway and it is a provincial park.  See: http://www.trailway.ca/  I've ridden the first 100 km starting in St. John's and heading west.  It is the former railbed and therefore there are no sharp turns, no steep hills... ...a bit boring in many ways.  It does take you by some lovely areas and I do plan to ride the entire length of it someday, from Port-aux-Basque to St. John's (about 900 km).  BTW, I rode it on a fatbike and that is the bike I would recommend to use; often the old ballast is still present and it is very loose.

There are some guidebooks available: http://www.lebrecht.com/books/transCanada/  I have read the one on Newfoundland and it is well written and informative.

Here is some video on the Newfoundland section:
Trans Canada Trail Solo Bicycle Expedition "Newfoundland"

Topic Name: Trans Canada Trail Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 07:44:02 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »

It is still in development in many areas, so it can range from smooth pavement to barely discernable track with rather unencouraging riding characteristics.

Good news though is that there is a major push on to complete the trail by 2017, as you mentioned.  And it will likely intersect or parallel the GDMBR in the Elk Valley area of BC.  Rumour is that there has been a route studied this year from Elk Pass to Cranbrook and beyond, to link to Vancouver fairly easily.  So, good stuff coming, but you may want to wait a couple years.

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who is rumoured to have done the whole trail on a bike, couple years ago I think.  If interested, might be able to hook you up?

If you can get in contact him so I could maybe pick his brain a bit on it that would be cool. 

Thanks man

Go big or stay home
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: