Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #120 on: February 09, 2013, 01:14:11 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »

I've run WTB Nanos, Michelin Wild Rac'r, and Maxxis Ikon tires on that route now. After WTB moved production of the Nanos to China, the durability went way down, and I haven't used them since. Michelin dramatically changed the tread pattern on their tire, so it's nowhere nearly as well-suited for dirt roads any more. The Ikon is great, but Maxxis still seems to be struggling with problems related to sealant degrading the inside of the tire. Small Block 8s have been used on the route without problems, but I just don't trust the tire's paper thin sidewalls. If I was going to ride it again, I'd use Ikons with the EXO sidewall and plan on replacing the tires mid-way through.

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #121 on: February 09, 2013, 11:35:21 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2013, 11:35:21 PM »

I've had good results with the Geax Saguaros 2,2 in the normal form. They set up really easy tubeless; I haven't tried their TNT (Tube-no-Tube) version but I've heard its almost impossible to get them on and off Stan's rims. The Saguaro rolls really good and has a super long life.

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #122 on: May 12, 2013, 07:14:56 PM
DocTrike

Adventure & Ultra tricyclist.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »

Hey Kurt and Phil,

What are you guys thinking about a tire choice now that Grand Depart is looming closer, anything new looking good? I am on a trike so I have a definite advantage, with three contact points taking the load and I am historically very easy on tires. I am always open to suggestions.

Anyone taken a look at the BigApple twin brother BigBen slightly deeper and textured tread looks like it might be suitable. Although I have no experience with the gravel and stones of the TDR or GDMBR. I have Schwalbe: Racing Ralf, Rocket Ron, and BigApple in stock so will probably try these here in Oregon first.

Ultra Adventure Triker, Digital Nomad

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #123 on: May 12, 2013, 11:00:00 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »

I would still go with the Geax Sagauro but use whatever you're comfortable with.

No GD for me this year, I'm sitting this year out to do the Grenzsteintrophy here in Germany. Next year is a possibility.

Post a picture of your trike rig, I'm curious as to how it looks. :-)

Phil

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #124 on: May 13, 2013, 10:01:15 AM
DocTrike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »

Hey Phil,

Sorry to hear your not racing this year, I will check into those tires! I ma riding on three wheels with Schwalbe rubber probably SmartSam Tubeless Evo DD.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:19:01 PM by Doctrike » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #125 on: May 14, 2013, 08:01:27 PM
DocTrike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2013, 08:01:27 PM »

Okay opinions please on this tire Smart Sam Evolution series tubeless ready folding?

I was looking at all the tires you guys suggested comparing specs, sizes, tread design, etc when I realized I have been running the Smart Sam which is touted as a do-all tire. What do you guys think about durability on the TD?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:20:26 PM by Doctrike » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #126 on: May 14, 2013, 11:06:27 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2013, 11:06:27 PM »

I've been using the Smart Sams on my cyclocross bike for 6 years; I use it as a commuter. They roll really well, have pretty good traction in the dirt and on gravel and they last a long time. I did a 300 mile gravel grinder stage race back in 2011 here in Germany and had no flats. Where as other riders with super light weight cross tires had nothing but problems.

They would also be a good choice for the GDMBR I think.

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #127 on: May 15, 2013, 04:20:50 PM
JEF

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »

I'm surprised that there is not much talk about Specialized tires.  Both the Renegade and Fast Track are awesome fast rolling tires that wear very well.  I use them on all my mountain bikes.  They work fine with Stans sealant also. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #128 on: May 16, 2013, 03:27:24 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2013, 03:27:24 PM »

I'm surprised that there is not much talk about Specialized tires.  Both the Renegade and Fast Track are awesome fast rolling tires that wear very well.  I use them on all my mountain bikes.  They work fine with Stans sealant also. 

I was wondering the same thing. The "fast track" tread was actually tested in a wind tunnel for efficiency. I run the Control carcass front and the Grid UST carcass in the rear, Use exclusively in the  sharp Arizona rocks. Spin fast, hold corners well and wear satisfactorily. Will send a set to Salida in front of me. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #129 on: May 17, 2013, 09:46:09 AM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2013, 09:46:09 AM »

I had the Renegade S-Works 2Bliss as a rear last year for TD. It did work great - but didn't last long. It was nearly bald by Pinedale. Still lasted without a flat until Steamboat, and by then it was as smooth as a baby's butt.

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #130 on: May 19, 2013, 08:15:40 AM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2013, 08:15:40 AM »

I had the Renegade S-Works 2Bliss as a rear last year for TD. It did work great - but didn't last long. It was nearly bald by Pinedale. Still lasted without a flat until Steamboat, and by then it was as smooth as a baby's butt.

Hi Trebor,
You had no trouble with the ultra light S-Works sidewalls? I used to run them here in Arizona but had sidewall failures nearly weekly. If the TD route would be sidewall friendly, I would absolutely run S-Works. I believe over 2700 miles it would equate to a surprising time difference. I think I will run the Fast Track tread due to the extra knob thickness.

Thanks,

Steve

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #131 on: May 19, 2013, 09:34:41 PM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2013, 09:34:41 PM »

its a gamble... i did slice a Conti Race King (non-PROtection version) on the front. about a 2" gash. though TD lacks technical riding in the sense of burly singletrack, it is demanding on tires. loads of sharp rocks out there. any advantage of a lighter tire can be lost on repairs in the middle of no-freaking-where.

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #132 on: May 20, 2013, 07:11:35 PM
Mike K.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2013, 07:11:35 PM »

To answer the question about the Schwable Super Moto... I've been testing the 60 x 559 (2.35 x 26) to evaluate it as future Divide kit.  During the 2012 race Adam from Oregon mentioned to me that he thought the Big Apple would be ideal, and I was intrigued enough to try the lightweight version of the Big Apple, the Super Moto. While I expected them to fail, I have to say that I'm impressed. About 6,000 miles since December and still going strong. Literally no flats or side wall issues.  I'll still need to test tubeless as I've only run them with tubes and sealant. Pressure just enough to corner well.  Excellent on rough and muddy trail. Traction is better than expected.  Comfort is outrageous.  Shockingly easy rolling. Its large volume does raise aerodynamic resistance a little.  160 pounds plus 15 to 20 pounds of gear/water on an expedition touring frame.

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #133 on: May 20, 2013, 07:12:49 PM
timroz

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »

I'm surprised that there is not much talk about Specialized tires.

That's because specialized is the devil...

I hope they don't sue me for saying that.

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #134 on: May 20, 2013, 07:24:44 PM
redtabby

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2013, 07:24:44 PM »

The S-Works tires are a trade-off towards light weight at the expense of durability and longevity.  Something for a race which doesn't last 2700 miles.  I find the control casing (e.g. Captain Control, Purgatory Control) tires to wear well, resist sidewall damage and be very consistently easy to run tubeless.  Any of their tires in control casing would fare much better on such a torture tour than an equivalent S-Works version of same.  Captain or Purgatory would probably be too much tire for the divide but the Fast Track sounds interesting ...

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #135 on: May 20, 2013, 07:40:13 PM
DocTrike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »

I think the new BigBen would be better than the BigApple as has slightly deeper tread and textured tread blocks. SuperMoto has a light casing I am surprised that they haven't punctured. I was advised against their use for the TDR by Schwalbes Tech guy. I have toured extensively on folding bikes with the old original BigApple in countries where roads are very poor to nonexistent they are very durable and still have great roll for their size. The new tires have been elevated to a higher performance category in Schwalbe's line and hence should be faster tires.

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #136 on: May 23, 2013, 07:10:39 AM
cjellmoney

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2013, 07:10:39 AM »

The first thing I would say is that tire experiences vary so greatly from rider to rider. Your results will most definitely vary. The first thing I think about when people give their tire opinions and experiences is weight. Weights of TD riders are all over the board. A 50-60 lb bike with a 200 lb rider isn't that outrageous. I would be willing to bet that 260 lbs would eat a set of tires so much more quickly than 140+30 rider+rig would.

All that being said, I ran the same pair of Ikons the entire route. Used the same pair of tires to tour down to the AZTR and am still reluctant to throw them out as they do have some usable tread left, although I am a cheap bastard. I might try and get away with a racing ralph (fast as shit) if I weren't running Knards this year, but then again I'm that 170lb rider+rig riding carefully.

I didn't bother trying to mount my nanos on stans crest until a day before the GD last year and as previously reported I popped no less than 3 blood vessels in a failed attempt. Went with the Ikons instead. I came close to giving up on on TNT saguaros that I had for the AZTR but after 45 minutes and a pile of broken levers I got those suckers on. Sweet tire at an acceptable weight. Was very concerned about flatting during the race and not being able to get them off, which i did not, thankfully, but I have since rotated them and it was no problem. must have gotten some good stretch riding them.

Also, as krefs said earlier, I had stans to go coagulated monster no less than 2 times on the route and again touring down to AZ. Had not considered that it might have been a property of the tire before, but if Kurt Refsnider says it, it shall be considered gospel truth. I ran into some boys in bike shops down in AZ that run slime with their stans because it's so dry and stan's alone tends to dry up. Something I think i'll give a shot this year.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:16:07 AM by cjellmoney » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #137 on: May 23, 2013, 07:48:29 AM
Longtrailahead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2013, 07:48:29 AM »

I have always used slime in my tubeless set up since 2006, never without any incident. Once I was given some Stan's for free a few years back and decided to try it out. It dried up quickly and I did not like the consistency of it.

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #138 on: May 23, 2013, 08:48:45 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2013, 08:48:45 PM »

The S-Works tires are a trade-off towards light weight at the expense of durability and longevity.  Something for a race which doesn't last 2700 miles.  I find the control casing (e.g. Captain Control, Purgatory Control) tires to wear well, resist sidewall damage and be very consistently easy to run tubeless.  Any of their tires in control casing would fare much better on such a torture tour than an equivalent S-Works version of same.  Captain or Purgatory would probably be too much tire for the divide but the Fast Track sounds interesting ...

Hi Red,

In agreement with your assessment. I run a Fast Track Control front and a Fast Track Grid rear. I live in Arizona and in some area's I ride it's rocky as heck. The S-Works, no matter how much I tried can't handle the rocks. That said, the Control in the rear had issues in the rocks. I believe the nature of the TD would allow for at least Control's front and rear. And they do roll my friend.

As far as Stans drying up, I get probably 45 days here in the summer heat before the little rubber coral thingy shows up.

Topic Name: Tour Divide/GDMBR - tires Reply #139 on: May 26, 2013, 01:38:42 PM
wunnspeed

SpoK Werks - Handmade Cycling Goods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2013, 01:38:42 PM »

Don't know if I have responded to this before or not but I can't rave enough about how well my Geax Saguaros performed in all conditions.

Michael Cleveland - SpoK Werks bikepacking gear
SpoK Werks Etsy
SpoK Werks FB
Big Wheel Racing Europe
  Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: