Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 10:59:44 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »

@Woodland

Do you consider a hydration system to be a backpack?

Do you wear it on your back, with shoulder straps? Yes, I would consider that a backpack...

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 11:23:00 AM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 11:23:00 AM »

I do, but once empty I get it off my back. Most people I've seen with backpacks don't get to take them off since they don't get emptied as part of the pack's daily function. That's how I see the two as distinct. The TDR has several places where its hard to carry enough water on your bike so a Camelback or the like helps sort that out; a regular backpack usually isn't set up to carry much water.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 07:05:27 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 07:05:27 AM »

I'm still wondering the choice of wearing a backpack or not?

Every opinion and experience about the topic is more than welcome!

Hi,

I rode TD '16 with small backpack, 13 litres - was great. Rode Silk Road with larger one and also great. Get one with expandable mesh side pockets on both sides so you can access additional water or put damp items there. Would NOT put main (regular) water there unless you have to so as to keep weight down. That said, a buddy did TD this year and WOULD put water there as he feels he would drink more with a camelback tube than reaching for bottles.

I used it also for on/off clothes some days, and in the Gila put tent there and food in front roll. I had one day around day 14 when I had sore shoulder because of it, but passed after half a day.

I did all my training rides, including on road bike, with backpack loaded above the racing weight.

Convenience of having key items in it is great too - money, toilet paper, etc, plus you don't have to muck about with finding places for your food after a resupply.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 09:06:08 AM
Jukka

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 09:06:08 AM »

Good points! Thanks for sharing your experiences.  thumbsup

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 06:35:34 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 06:35:34 PM »

It´s hard to imagine that forgetting the backpack somewhere would be an considerable risk. But when thinking about it and especially considering the cumulating fatigue (physical & mental) and experiences here, that is a factor to consider.

Thanks once again.

The brain tends to disengage with some regularity out there.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 07:49:13 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »

I took one of these Sea To Summit Ultra Sil backpacks on my TD.

https://youtu.be/VU6ino-MjGY

I only had to use it in The Basin and Pie Town to Silver City to carry more water and food. I used everything out of the backpack first and got it off my back as quickly as possible when I did use it.
It is super strong (still using it every week, 3 years later), light and packs down to nothing. You will want to minimise the weight on your back because that weight also goes through your butt to the saddle. You will get a sore butt so whatever you can do to minimise that issue is pure gold.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 08:12:20 AM
Jukka

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 08:12:20 AM »

Thanks!

Btw: your TD blog was a treat to read! Read it through during a single evening.  thumbsup

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 03:29:46 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 03:29:46 AM »

Thanks!

Btw: your TD blog was a treat to read! Read it through during a single evening.  thumbsup

Thanks. Reading it all in one sitting is almost as painful as doing the TD!  laughing5

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 06:21:57 AM
Jukka

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 06:21:57 AM »

Well, that's a big exaggeration. Thanks again for the writing!
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: