Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? on: June 24, 2018, 11:33:19 AM
Jukka

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »

As most of the users of this forum knows, Tour Divide is going at the moment. After doing quite a bit of research and reading on the event, I'm still wondering the choice of wearing a backpack or not?

Naturally it would be ideal to have all the load carried by the structural elements of the bike. However, some extra pace and most importantly, extra storage for fluids is a strong plus in my book when it comes to having a backpack (Camelback etc.) on board. Personally I use backpack 95% of the time I ride, so I don't find it uncomfortable etc. I´m fully aware though that things can change drastically during an event like the Tour Divide or any other multiday event. Every opinion and experience about the topic is more than welcome!

Many thanks.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 05:12:09 PM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 05:12:09 PM »

If I can get away with it no backpack for me. Stresses arms and shoulders, reduces cooling, makes layering more difficult and puts the weight up higher and puts more weight in the saddle. You can use a small foldable backpack that doesn't take up much room and stash in on your bike till you need it for food or water.

If you look at Angler's photos on the TD thread he has lots of pictures of riders and it appears quite a few are forgoing the back pack.

For more technical tracks with HAB backpacks might make more sense.

But nothing beats riding along with nothing on your back.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 09:57:06 AM
Jukka

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 09:57:06 AM »

Good points! Thanks for the input.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 01:44:25 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 01:44:25 PM »

Here's my opinion. I started in 2014, a few bad snow and rain days for the first 4-5 days. I went our in Seely lake with Achilles problems.

My strategy was no backpack. I wound up picking up a Camelbak in Whitefish. I simply couldn't carry enough food.  Being a rookie, I had missed leaving room for food in my gear. I figured it would "just work out." The pushes between supplies varies greatly and you need varied capacity for food and water.

I do plan on a redemption run. I have since started using an ultra running vest. It weighs NOTHING yet has enough capacity to really load up when necessary. For me, it was a perfect solution.

Best of luck.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 10:25:18 AM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »

not having done the TDR yet, I can't speak to how that distance/time would change things. But I would say go with whatever you are comfortable with. I personally ride with a backpack all the time. I'm used to it, it's comfortable, and it's nice knowing I have the extra space when I need it.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 03:17:47 AM
bikelite

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 03:17:47 AM »

Briansong, which ultra running vest do you like?

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 06:27:26 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 06:27:26 PM »

I bought an "Ultimate Direction" Marathon vest. It has capacity for more calories than I can imaging ever needing between resupply. The back has a sleeve that would fit a small C-back bladder. There is also a pocket outside of that that would fit a light raincoat, a bunch of calories or whatever. The front is also very efficient, water-bottle on one side, a phone/Spot pocket and more. It really is a huge problem solver. And again it weighs literally ounces (4.9)

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/UD_Marathon_Vest/descpage-UDMARV1.html?from=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2JWg9qD_2wIVGKvsCh3XswKEEAQYASABEgKsBvD_BwE

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 11:51:22 PM
Jukka

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 11:51:22 PM »

Thanks! Very valuable recommendation!

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 07:24:54 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 07:24:54 AM »

One thing that I found with a backpack was that I needed to tuck a teri cloth rag at the bottom of my back top catch sweat that will invariably make it down that way.
I use an Antimatter pack which weighs in at 10 ounces or so and can be stowed easily enough if not needed.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 11:25:27 AM
KO

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 11:25:27 AM »

I used to use backpacks for all my biketracking trips but got tired of all the sweat on my back and the strain over time on my shoulders.  TDR '17 was the first time I went without a backpack.  However, I couldn't fit everything I wanted to take on packs attached to the bike so I used a Mountainsmith lumbar pack and it worked out great.  Gave me just enough extra room I needed and kept everything off my back and shoulders.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 10:12:06 PM
Jukka

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 10:12:06 PM »

Thanks for sharing the experience and learned lessons.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:43:48 PM by Jukka » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 11:12:06 AM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 11:12:06 AM »

If you think you need a backpack, you really do need to look at how you are packing your bike.

Something not mentioned yet- a pack will mean that you can't get aero on descents are dealing with headwinds- as soon as you try to get more aero, the drag of the pack becomes more profound.

Its also additional weight on your butt. Its hard to have a seat be comfortable all day long as it is!

The trick here is really to sort out what you **don't** need on the trip and don't bring it. If you are racing, this likely means not much in the way of extra clothing other than layers and often a bivy rather than a tent. Room for food and water is important, and a water purification system is a good idea, but you are better off with excess room than you are with things that you simply didn't use the entire trip! If you're not racing, traveling light is still a good idea- it will make the trip a lot more enjoyable since HAB is a fact of life; lifting a 40 pound load is a lot easier than a 70 pound load.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 12:35:12 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 12:35:12 PM »

This guy seemed to do just fine with a back pack...
http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/josh-kato-tour-divide-pack-list/

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 12:49:40 PM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 12:49:40 PM »

^^Sort of- that's a hydration system. It doesn't weigh much when empty; but at that point I stow it on the bike just so I'm not as hot.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 07:17:23 AM
tomg

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 07:17:23 AM »

A vote for a good hydro-pack.  I've not done the race but rather some longish sections - 1300-1800 miles in the last three years and used an Osprey hydro pack.  Very comfortable and I think I drink more water than if I had just plastic water bottles.  It has huge capacity for clothes, snacks and other items so it gives you flexibility.  It has small compartments on each side and in the hip belt which keeps me organized.   

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 03:03:38 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 03:03:38 PM »

And let's not forget leaving your backpack and riding off to wonder later where it is. Yep, a real concern.

I know, I've done that twice in three different attempts on the TD. I don't use backpacks now, except to carry the ultralight Sea to Summit pack (2,3 ounces folded) in case I need temp extra food carry. I know of two other riders I rode with that forgot packs. Oh, and never carry your valuables in a pack if you do suffer to carry one - forgetting pack then becomes a major bummer.

My 2 cents...

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 10:53:29 AM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 10:53:29 AM »

^^ +1

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 08:45:11 PM
Jukka

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 08:45:11 PM »

It´s hard to imagine that forgetting the backpack somewhere would be an considerable risk. But when thinking about it and especially considering the cumulating fatigue (physical & mental) and experiences here, that is a factor to consider.

Thanks once again.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 10:38:01 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 10:38:01 AM »

This guy seemed to do just fine with a back pack...
http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/josh-kato-tour-divide-pack-list/

Touche!  icon_biggrin

I always like riding with a pack, and did the same for the Tour in my attempt this year. Frankly, I feel naked without one.

I just wouldn't try anything new in something like TD. Test it out. Do an overnighter without a backpack...

I like the idea of having a pack in case something went terribly wrong and I had to hike out.

Good luck with your decision.

Topic Name: Tour Divide - with a backpack or not? Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 10:51:45 AM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 10:51:45 AM »

@Woodland

Do you consider a hydration system to be a backpack?
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: