Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide record questions Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 09:01:32 PM
sheilar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 09:01:32 PM »

Sorry about the iPad triple spam. I'm good at other things Wink

Topic Name: Tour Divide record questions Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 09:16:58 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 09:16:58 PM »

If Matt could pass along some guidelines, I'll bet there are some techie bike geeks who would pitch in for the results analysis.   Fox in the hen house or I'd help too.

I'm in the same boat as you, but obv. I scratched Wink I think we should just go with the idea of keeping the trust with the racer on if they did the exact course or not - there's no real reason to not be truthful on this - the SPOT track can always be looked over. There's a metric ton of weird detours done in 2011 because of snow/fire and no one was able to even try the "official" route during the Grand Départ, but people were able to complete it during the ITT (and even that, we have some w/Gold Dust Trail, some without)

I think perhaps the best thing is to just note that in the finishing times, using the '9 and '10 results as an example. I think we can at least start on organizing these things. I think a big part of it, is we're all proud - the racers, organizers and fans of TD '11 and also a little curious how we all stack up (come '12!)

My guess though in the future is the course is going to continue to vary, as more enticing route ideas come into fruition and other not so nice tracks are phased out. It's kind of killer to be able to compare through the years how people have done, but a race of this size/complexity, it almost is as if the route is different year to year - or even during different seasons of the same year, even if the route itself doesn't change. Looking at other races "similar" to TD, like the AZT and the CTR, their courses are changing yearly as well.

Topic Name: Tour Divide record questions Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 11:46:43 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 11:46:43 PM »

I've started tabulating the data that's on that trackleaders page and you may check it out. Please, before you do, understand:

* This is not official
* There are errors. Do not get angry - especially if they're errors on your data, just fix the problems
* The data that I have available is not complete - please fill in the blanks
* Like the TD itself, this is a volunteer effort - similar rules/guidelines apply Smiley

Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhrUeVyiFtrJdGY5Y2o3SW9ieG9melMyMmZ5TVE5d1E

Anyone can edit it, so please do - perhaps some guidelines?

* Make edits, but perhaps make them non-destructive (don't remove data, unless it's blatantly wrong)
* If you're a rider, please confirm the data in the "Confirmed by Rider (Y/N)" column with a big ol' Y
* Detours! There are many, and they multiply on top of each other. There's a separate sheet naming the detours and describing what the Detours are. If its 3 blocks in Rawlins you have to go over, perhaps we don't need a new detour, if it's half of Montana, maybe we should mark that... Smiley If you took the '11 snow detours (labeled, Snowpocalypse) and had a fire detour in CO/NM, perhaps write, Snowpocalypse/Fire Detour after Grants NM (or, whatever). Be succinct as possible, use the same name of the detour if another rider had the same route. Hopefully we can keep the detour data as simple as possible, while still giving a good idea of the route taken.

I've done the riders in the, "Finished" filter, hopefully doing, "Scratched" (and Southbound?) will finish most of it all up, with some manual massaging needed to tie everything together.

Topic Name: Tour Divide record questions Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 01:18:27 AM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 01:18:27 AM »

Alright, I have all the data I think I can cull from the Trackleaders, including scratches and the separate ITT Divide page - around 100 riders. I'm sure there's still blatant errors and certainly some missing data, most especially scratch times/places and fire detours. People w/o SPOTS or that didn't get tracked by Trackleaders are obv. also missing data.

But, a good start, have at it!

Topic Name: Tour Divide record questions Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 06:41:33 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 06:41:33 AM »

Only 24 hours in a day, so that makes it 16:02:52   thumbsup

And yes, Paul won the NoBo race.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:45:49 AM by DenisVTT » Logged

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: Tour Divide record questions Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 07:20:23 AM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 07:20:23 AM »

So what is the allotted time? I thought I read somewhere (but can't find it now) it's twice as long as the 1st place finisher.

Woody

Topic Name: Tour Divide record questions Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 07:35:24 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 07:35:24 AM »

So what is the allotted time? I thought I read somewhere (but can't find it now) it's twice as long as the 1st place finisher.

Woody

2x the record is the limit for ITT:

"Abide by TD Rules, carry a SPOT GPS tracker or other brand of GPS logger/tracker, and finish in no more than twice the standing course record (17days x 2) to be eligible for the same Divide racing General Classification that ranks group racers"

no limit for the Grand Depart, although it says:

"There is no finish time cut-off, however, current convention considers a competitive Divide Route finish time as within approximately 50% of record time for men, and 30% of record time for women. Currently this = 27days (100mi/day) for men, and 31days (90mi/day) for women."

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide record questions Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 07:36:57 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 07:36:57 AM »

Also, the Gold Dust Trail was required of Grand Depart participants via email, but is not included in the Rules.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide record questions Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 10:16:20 AM
sheilar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 10:16:20 AM »

No Gold Dust in 2011 for the Banff to AW SOBO.
From the email I received from Matt 06/03
"Grab the latest GPS files here:  http://topofusion.com/divide/gps.php There is a separate full route file for each Grand Depart. There is also a separate snow detours file. Noticeably absent from the southbound file is the Gold Dust Trail north of Como, CO. It will wait for 2012."
sr
http://tourdivide.org/TD11_detours

Also, the Gold Dust Trail was required of Grand Depart participants via email, but is not included in the Rules.

Topic Name: Tour Divide record questions Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 10:22:24 AM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »

Only 24 hours in a day, so that makes it 16:02:52   thumbsup

Ha, yes Smiley I'm actually a great computer hacker, but horrible in math Smiley

Topic Name: Tour Divide record questions Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 10:26:41 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 10:26:41 AM »

No Gold Dust in 2011 for the Banff to AW SOBO.
From the email I received from Matt 06/03
"Grab the latest GPS files here:  http://topofusion.com/divide/gps.php There is a separate full route file for each Grand Depart. There is also a separate snow detours file. Noticeably absent from the southbound file is the Gold Dust Trail north of Como, CO. It will wait for 2012."
sr
http://tourdivide.org/TD11_detours

Same for NoBos. Actually, the entire TD route was the same for NoBos and SoBos after the NoBos were advised they could use the SoBo detours (about a week after the GD).

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: Tour Divide record questions Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 09:40:44 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 09:40:44 PM »

I filled in some more info, including some potential relegations, because of the missed CDT section - I can't get some of the SPOT tracks to load, which would really tell us what the route was. If that doesn't load, or if the rider can't confirm, it's going to be a mystery at the relegation, unless a benevolent dictator makes the call, which I'm not comfortable doing Smiley

Topic Name: Tour Divide record questions Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 08:26:49 PM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 08:26:49 PM »

My guess though in the future is the course is going to continue to vary, as more enticing route ideas come into fruition and other not so nice tracks are phased out. It's kind of killer to be able to compare through the years how people have done, but a race of this size/complexity, it almost is as if the route is different year to year - or even during different seasons of the same year, even if the route itself doesn't change. Looking at other races "similar" to TD, like the AZT and the CTR, their courses are changing yearly as well.

I can't recall from which thread from which year but it was once noted that the standings will be hard to compare from year to year even for the same course due to SO many variables and so should be thought of only "within" each year a la Tour de France etc which I think makes sense.  Until you get into detours, and ITTs, and crazies that stick to the original route during Snowpocolypse Wink The true Legends will stand out but anyone following this race picks up on much much more so I don't think there is much risk of getting lost in the crowd.

For example, I am abystander to date (dreaming of it in the future) and I told my mother about it last year as she lives in CO and I was born in Gunnison blah blah blah.  She went so far as to listen to the MTB Casts and follow the blue dots like the rest of us which is crazy as she can barely work a cell phone. She still talks about it 9 months later and I'm sure she'll be back at it on her own accord this year.
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: