Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 67
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #680 on: June 26, 2014, 09:57:43 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 26, 2014, 09:57:43 AM »

Interesting. I thought I saw Jefe training on the El Mariachi.  That's cool though that he is using something different. In the end, he could ride most anything and still kill it.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #681 on: June 26, 2014, 10:00:53 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 26, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »

Hello Everyone, great discussion here, learning about this event is an eye opener.
I'm the founder of Ibis Cycles, and Jefe is riding a new and so far unreleased bike of ours.
Jefe has been amazing to deal with and it's good to see him doing so well.
It's an understatement to say I've been obsessively checking the Tour Divide Race Tracker since June 13th.
Just wanted to say thanks for the discussion. I'm in awe of all of you who have done this or are doing it.
-Scot
Wow, we're honored to have an MTB HOFer chiming in. Welcome. What I would give to hear your stories from the 80s. Would be great to see a klunker tour of the Divide one day. Cheers!

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #682 on: June 26, 2014, 10:59:57 AM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #682 on: June 26, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »

If you're not sure whether you want to tour or race, tour first.  Have the courage and pride and ego strength to pick the one you'll get the most from...

Some wisdom here. 

It's a tempting prospect to add one's name to the spreadsheet and show up in Banff in June.  But there are other factors to consider as well, not the least of which is this year's "winter" start.  If I've never done this before (and I haven't), wouldn't it be wise to tour it first (maybe in August), in order to find my way without the pressure of the race clock driving me to do things I might not do otherwise? 

In Cordillera V5, racer Erick Armentrout recounts an interaction with the owner of the local mercantile who was kind enough to share some advice.  "The first time you race the divide you're not racing, you're learning.  When you come back you're racing."  Even Jesse Carlson (who finished second last year!) admits "Most of the time I was out riding I had no idea what I was doing.  I finished the race thinking, 'Right! NOW I'm ready to race the Tour Divide!'"

Food for thought...

-dp

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #683 on: June 26, 2014, 11:04:43 AM
ComoDepot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #683 on: June 26, 2014, 11:04:43 AM »

Jesse was hit by lightning!

Concerned at the time, and wondered if it had long lasting effect.

David

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #684 on: June 26, 2014, 11:06:21 AM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 26, 2014, 11:06:21 AM »

"Most of the time I was out riding I had no idea what I was doing.  I finished the race thinking, 'Right! NOW I'm ready to race the Tour Divide!'"

That's seriously what I think every time I do a new race, and many times I repeat a race I've done numerous times before, regardless of length or results.  Each iteration allows you to fine tune your strategy and push your limits just a little more.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #685 on: June 26, 2014, 11:12:32 AM
robinb

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 26, 2014, 11:12:32 AM »

Jarral, not sure how rugged your cubs can handle, but I might consider just running the Spray Lake / Smith-Dorrien road all the way to K-country with a minor detour to camp along the west side of Spray Lake (at the campground). Elk River Rd is also super nice / more remote, but Elk Pass connecting K-country and Elk R. Rd might be a debbie-downer. Lots of side trips along Smith-Dorrien...and I'd carry fly rods. Mid to late July b/f their monsoons would be good timing. The only downside to the Smith-Dorrien would be gapers in cars. They can get thick at times. Start your program on the eve of departure with high tea at the Banff hotel and a soak in the upper hotsprings.

Just a note on dept timing... our monsoon season is June - monsoon june as we affectionately call it here. Any time after that is good. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #686 on: June 26, 2014, 11:17:40 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 26, 2014, 11:17:40 AM »

Just a note on dept timing... our monsoon season is June - monsoon june as we affectionately call it here. Any time after that is good. 
I thought June was called 'la primavera'  icon_biggrin What do you call the heinous afternoon storms that plague Trans-Rockies in Aug? In the southern Rockies, monsoons are characterized by that daily wind-reversal cycle that stacks & drops.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #687 on: June 26, 2014, 11:22:21 AM
robinb

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 26, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »

I thought June was called 'la primavera'  icon_biggrin What do you call the heinous afternoon storms that plague Trans-Rockies in Aug? In the southern Rockies, monsoons are characterized by that daily wind-reversal cycle that stacks & drops.

when folks ask what the climate is like in Banff, I always say 'we have 7 months of winter and 5 months of bad weather'...

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #688 on: June 26, 2014, 11:32:25 AM
ChrisE

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 26, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »

I thought, and maybe I was wrong, that you can take anything that is offered, equally, to all riders.  You can't take anything that is available only to you.  That way you can have a hotel room, you can use a bike shop, you can eat at a bar.

You could call at a house and sleep in their house provided the owners would do that for every rider.

You can't get your brother to drive out and give you (only) food, but your brother can drive out and sit by the trail offering every single rider food.

Maybe I am being simplistic.

You can take a ride in a truck, but strictly only going backwards on the route

C

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #689 on: June 26, 2014, 11:40:40 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #689 on: June 26, 2014, 11:40:40 AM »

In Cordillera V5, racer Erick Armentrout recounts an interaction with the owner of the local mercantile who was kind enough to share some advice.  "The first time you race the divide you're not racing, you're learning.  When you come back you're racing."

That's funny, the first time I was out on the divide, I was thinking, "snowshoeing in june is a funny way to get across the country!"

Then the second time on the divide, I was thinking, "riding a bike with one gear is a funny way to get across the country!"

Did someone say a (true?) Winter start? Sign me up for that one. Keep flavor going: "riding a bike in winter is a funny way to...."

That's something I'd want a trail partner and at the very least, some sort of collapsible sled. The logistics would be so insane. Avalanche paths to consider. Woo boy. Don't know if the route would go. Have to start early enough that it's still, "winter" when you're finished? Nobo or Sobo? I would give it 60 days, fer sure.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #690 on: June 26, 2014, 11:41:38 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: June 26, 2014, 11:41:38 AM »

Looking at the pace out there Calvin Decker has been flying since a long layover in Ovando and is now in clear second place. He seems to be matching Jefe's pace as he was 2:10:34 behind at Lincoln and is only 2:02:14 behind at Salida. Maybe the good cheer from Angler at Ovando motivated him to go for it. Given how many people he's overtaken since Ovando whatever he is doing is working out very well.

Angler - do you know if CD had a gear issue, or was he on a start slow and then lift the pace strategy?

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #691 on: June 26, 2014, 11:43:54 AM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #691 on: June 26, 2014, 11:43:54 AM »

You could call at a house and sleep in their house provided the owners would do that for every rider.

You can't get your brother to drive out and give you (only) food, but your brother can drive out and sit by the trail offering every single rider food.

To make it legit, they'd have to do it, for every rider, for like, the entire year! At that point, they're a legitimate trail angel of Apple proportions and then Trail Magic rule comes into effect, where you should probably only take a little bit, but not like, an entire meal.

Oh, but remember, there's the, "no visiting" rule Wink

So, see what happens? We're trying to find weird loopholes in the already confusing (to some) rules.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #692 on: June 26, 2014, 11:51:05 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 26, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »

I thought, and maybe I was wrong, that you can take anything that is offered, equally, to all riders.  You can't take anything that is available only to you.
Yes, and equally to all has generally been defined as a fixed legitimate commercial business, ideally with some sense of history year-to-year. Not an erstwhile tortilla truck spot stalking racers in the desert. That's why trail magic is such a slippery thing, in that it's highly situational / spotty. It's appropriateness really lies in an honest interpretation of how the encounter came to be and the size of the gesture.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #693 on: June 26, 2014, 11:53:38 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #693 on: June 26, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »

when folks ask what the climate is like in Banff, I always say 'we have 7 months of winter and 5 months of bad weather'...

Yeah but man are those sunny days magical! I already miss it.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #694 on: June 26, 2014, 11:55:35 AM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #694 on: June 26, 2014, 11:55:35 AM »

Banff is a beautiful place. I'd like to get back there, and climb some of those alpine routes. They're pretty serious routes. Hard to hang out there, and not trip on the sidewalk, looking up, with your mouth agape!

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #695 on: June 26, 2014, 11:57:19 AM
Angler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #695 on: June 26, 2014, 11:57:19 AM »

Looking at the pace out there Calvin Decker has been flying since a long layover in Ovando and is now in clear second place. He seems to be matching Jefe's pace as he was 2:10:34 behind at Lincoln and is only 2:02:14 behind at Salida. Maybe the good cheer from Angler at Ovando motivated him to go for it. Given how many people he's overtaken since Ovando whatever he is doing is working out very well.

Angler - do you know if CD had a gear issue, or was he on a start slow and then lift the pace strategy?

I'm going to be honest with you.  When Calvin was here with a table load of other riders he seemed kicked back.  I took him as a guy going for a personal best but not killing himself [in fact the cafĂ© personnel were taking bets he'd never make it out of the state]. So I was as surprised as everybody else when he stepped it up the ranks.  For a young rider and a nice guy I rooting for him.

And wow just checked him out and 3rd place BEHIND THE TANDEM TERRIBLE?  I'm way overly impressed.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #696 on: June 26, 2014, 11:59:28 AM
Angler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #696 on: June 26, 2014, 11:59:28 AM »

It's appropriateness really lies in an honest interpretation of how the encounter came to be and the size of the gesture.

I love it; it's like a marriage with off road biking racing and "Survivor".

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #697 on: June 26, 2014, 12:00:23 PM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #697 on: June 26, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »

I hope he does, same with JP. I hope next year!!! Let's add Kurt into the mix too, and Jefe, and Mike and Ollie!

And me! And me!

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #698 on: June 26, 2014, 12:02:30 PM
Angler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #698 on: June 26, 2014, 12:02:30 PM »

http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/bicyclist-struck-and-killed-near-bozeman/26658856

Be safe out there.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #699 on: June 26, 2014, 12:10:25 PM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #699 on: June 26, 2014, 12:10:25 PM »

Regardless of whether he beats JayP's "ITT record" of 15:16:14, he seems destined to be close to beating the "Grand Depart record" of 16:02:46 of Ollie Whalley. The current projection on Trackleaders is for 16:11:35, so it could be a tight finish there.

In terms of records, maybe someone can clear this up for me, as I've been wondering this for awhile.

The previous records that Jefe is currently chasing: am I incorrect in stating that neither of them had to ride the new Basin to Butte section, which as I understand it, was brutal. Certainly a time suck. Had Jefe not had to ride that section, and just rode the highway as the others did, he would be crushing those records right now. So it seems to me that Jefe is pushing his own record on a new course, as seems to the case for nearly every new annual attempt.

I guess my question is: How is the fact that every year there are more difficult additions added to the route remedied/compared with records established on easier routes from past years?

Thanks to anyone who can clear it up for me!

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 67
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: