Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 67
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #600 on: June 24, 2014, 07:00:43 PM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: June 24, 2014, 07:00:43 PM »

Re. the, 'never forward', rule, first let me just say you guys are all getting so soft. No one ever complained about this rule before social media was invented...(ok, just kidding...sort of). ~Matthew

Love this.  Suck it up, Buttercup.

-dp

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #601 on: June 24, 2014, 07:06:37 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: June 24, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »

#TD14: Jessica Green and Eric Sime called in from Lima, Ryan Lee called in from Pinedale again where the doc says he doesn’t have pneumonia and just needs some rest, and Paul Barsom called in twice from Rawlins! http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td14/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #602 on: June 24, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #602 on: June 24, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »

I nominate Toby to be Judge Jury and executioner!
If everyone is so concerned about rule infractions in essentially a "non event" then some sort of authority should be responsible for determining placing and DQ's.

Well there is, essentially. If you want to be an official completer of the TD then you follow the rules. As others have noted, you still can complete the route (a feat in itself). You still can have personally time-trialed it. But infractions mean that you can't say, "I completed the Tour Divide." Rather, "I completed the GDMBR" or "I completed the Tour Divide Route." That may very well be sufficient for one personally.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #603 on: June 24, 2014, 07:34:35 PM
Joliver

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: June 24, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »

I don't think that anyone has ever argued helping another rider is grounds for disqualification
 In fact, I think that it generally considered appropriate, especially when the receiver is in danger. In my perfect little world, I think that it should actually be required to help any other rider who is experiencing an emergency situation. But anyone receiving assistance, for whatever reason, is clearly not self-supported anymore, and should DQ themselves. Continuing to ride the route, outside of the race, is great though--so the experience could still be great. But all of this may be pretty much moot, since fewer racers seem terribly interested in pushing their self-reliance and independence lately, and nobody is enforcing the rules (or keeping track of finishing times and places aside from record-setting efforts).

I agree with you, Toby.  Also, one of the rules that you discuss on your website is the one regarding utilizing one's phone to determine where other competitors are on route and/or contacting friends/relatives to figure out the same.  I realize that is tough to police, but a ton of the "rules" are tough to police.  That one seems to really irk me.  I just can't see any reason why that one is permitted.

Jerry

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #604 on: June 24, 2014, 07:39:03 PM
Joliver

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: June 24, 2014, 07:39:03 PM »

If everyone is so concerned about rule infractions in essentially a "non event" then some sort of authority should be responsible for determining placing and DQ's.
I never understood the no forward hitch rule even back in the dark ages. Who could possibly benefit from hitching forward, then hitching back to recon the course?? Seems like you would be better off riding your bike or sleeping!
It is a much bigger advantage to have previously ridden the course in my opinion.
Also trail magic is nothing in comparison to the places that throw their doors open for racers during the Tour Divide. Imagine no Brush Mt Lodge or the Lodge in Polaris?
Then there is the issue of ITT's and trying to pick the best conditions. I say only N to S Grand depart runs should qualify for the records and only by rookies!
BTW;)

Completely agree re the "records" issue.  To me, that is not even the same route/race.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #605 on: June 24, 2014, 07:40:21 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #605 on: June 24, 2014, 07:40:21 PM »

That does seem like a harsh rule. I wonder what that's about? You'd think if you returned to the same spot you would be good to go ?

At no time did I consider it unduly harsh. I knew the rules when I lined up. I didn't have to dob myself in, but it wouldn't have been right not to DQ myself.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #606 on: June 24, 2014, 07:54:03 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: June 24, 2014, 07:54:03 PM »

I agree with you, Toby.  Also, one of the rules that you discuss on your website is the one regarding utilizing one's phone to determine where other competitors are on route and/or contacting friends/relatives to figure out the same.  I realize that is tough to police, but a ton of the "rules" are tough to police.  That one seems to really irk me.  I just can't see any reason why that one is permitted.

Jerry

That reminds me of Ride The Divide movie, when Reuben Kline finds a computer to see where Matthew was. I also remember Matthew asking where Ruben was. Although it was not a phone, Computers are very easily accessible.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 08:19:42 PM by Gimmearaise » Logged

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #607 on: June 24, 2014, 08:04:57 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 24, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »

At no time did I consider it unduly harsh. I knew the rules when I lined up. I didn't have to dob myself in, but it wouldn't have been right not to DQ myself.
Now that's integrity!
You might as well just wrap me in honey waffles and feed me to the bears!

"Done"

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #608 on: June 24, 2014, 08:14:19 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: June 24, 2014, 08:14:19 PM »

TD14 Day 12 and TABR14 Day 18 True Up! When in doubt push the rescue button, rule infractions reported, and we true up your calls for today!

http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/podcasts/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #609 on: June 24, 2014, 08:22:00 PM
salsola

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 24, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »

NOBO Lindsay Shepard is finishing up her ITT.  Nice job!!

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #610 on: June 24, 2014, 08:39:26 PM
multisportscott

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 24, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »

Come on Geof, get out of Orange Peel Bikes and get riding!
Go go go, Rob and Ken. Rooting for ya at home in NZ.
S

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #611 on: June 24, 2014, 08:42:38 PM
GregT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #611 on: June 24, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »

I saw Lindsay at the top of Goat Creek trail when I was cycling home tonight from Banff.  She was pretty stoked.  She saw lots of bears including a Grizz on top of Elk Pass today.  She said 30 days without a beer... so she is going for one when she gets in.  I messed up the picture but you can imagine- she was pretty happy!

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #612 on: June 24, 2014, 08:51:05 PM
JF-mtnbiker

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 24, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »

Cheers Lindsay. You started out alone and did it yourself. I admire that. Congrads.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #613 on: June 24, 2014, 09:25:23 PM
jryter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: June 24, 2014, 09:25:23 PM »

What are the odds of Eszterdot staying in second place? assuming tandem team is behind her. May see if she needs anything on the way by.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #614 on: June 24, 2014, 09:33:18 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 24, 2014, 09:33:18 PM »

I nominate Toby to be Judge Jury and executioner! If everyone is so concerned about rule infractions in essentially a "non event" then some sort of authority should be responsible for determining placing and DQ's.
At the end of a clean honorable run, try telling a TD racer (particularly from the the sharp end of the peloton) their ride was a non-event. Try telling anyone in any pick-up game of hoops or whatever for that matter, that what they're participating is a non-event. We've all heard of / lined up for 'Saturday Worlds' before.

I have endured some unbelievable, drawn-out-over-months debates with relegated TD racers. It's a dirty job that no bootleg event organizer should have to endure. That's why, after a few years hiatus from suffering thru official results, TD is going to a self-administered results spreadsheet for 2014. Submit your own time, if you know you're worthy. If you prevaricate under 'oath', it's your cross to bear. If a fellow racer or bystander wants to call someone out for cheating, no problem, peer-policing is the way it should be managed, but as I hope Max is prepared to do, one must be willing to own one's accusations by putting one's name to them. No more anonymous reporting or heresay.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #615 on: June 24, 2014, 09:36:29 PM
JF-mtnbiker

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: June 24, 2014, 09:36:29 PM »

Mike Hall just hit the finish of the Trans Am.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #616 on: June 24, 2014, 09:55:38 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 24, 2014, 09:55:38 PM »

I was just about to post the same. I rec'd this to my inbox, which is basically him signing off:

12:40 AM (13 minutes ago)
To: me
Device:Trace-084
Latitude:-99999
Longitude:-99999
Date/Time:06/24/2014 20:40:18 AKDT

Click the link below to see where the asset is located.
http://fms.ws/HcCiC/99999S/99999W

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #617 on: June 24, 2014, 10:04:25 PM
Angler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #617 on: June 24, 2014, 10:04:25 PM »

Matthew has made it quite clear that water and outside accommodations (shed, garage...) are OK but anything else is taboo - food, showers, bedrooms....

Thanks for bringing that up as it has been questionable in my mind what we can support or not. Don't suppose there is a list of can do's and don'ts is there?  And yea I'm serious as stupid as this may sound.

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #618 on: June 24, 2014, 10:05:58 PM
Angler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #618 on: June 24, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »

The dude is not human.....  congrats Mike!

Topic Name: Tour Divide race discussion Reply #619 on: June 24, 2014, 11:02:03 PM
B_Bock

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 24, 2014, 11:02:03 PM »

At the end of a clean honorable run, try telling a TD racer (particularly from the the sharp end of the peloton) their ride was a non-event. Try telling anyone in any pick-up game of hoops or whatever for that matter, that what they're participating is a non-event. We've all heard of / lined up for 'Saturday Worlds' before.

I have endured some unbelievable, drawn-out-over-months debates with relegated TD racers. It's a dirty job that no bootleg event organizer should have to endure. That's why, after a few years hiatus from suffering thru official results, TD is going to a self-administered results spreadsheet for 2014. Submit your own time, if you know you're worthy. If you prevaricate under 'oath', it's your cross to bear. If a fellow racer or bystander wants to call someone out for cheating, no problem, peer-policing is the way it should be managed, but as I hope Max is prepared to do, one must be willing to own one's accusations by putting one's name to them. No more anonymous reporting or heresay.
The log your own time is great. Most of us will never be in the record books, but it's nice to have a result for those whom are truly racing the route. I also think it will help the racers police them selfs. Racers and stalkers will most likely weed out the cheaters and unethical riders.
  Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 67
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: