Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide, Cordillera, and Friends on: September 20, 2015, 08:23:55 AM
BobM

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2015, 08:23:55 AM »

Hi all,

I've attempted the Tour Divide in 2010, 2012, and 2015.  No finishes yet, but I am still able to plug along and maybe one day it will happen.  That's not true for everyone.  I met Dave Blumenthal at the Y in Banff in 2010 and was impressed by his quiet confidence and friendly, easygoing manner.  Had his life not been cut short in Colorado while racing towards Steamboat Springs he would surely have finished and perhaps come back again to improve his time.  Now he's gone and sorely missed by his family.

Each year the Cordillera is published - many of you have read past volumes.  Christopher Bennett is again editing it but an editor needs copy and it's looking like there will be no Cordillera unless we, the riders, watchers, significant others, and prospective racers submit our stories.  Dave has a young daughter, Linnaea, and all proceeds from this publication go to Linnaea's college fund - over $10,000 at this point.  Now, mind you, it's not me that's asking for this help.  Dave's last blog post is at https://type2fun.wordpress.com/ but the pertinent passage from that last post, written just before he left Banff, is this:

"I hope that local friends will come to play, visit, and support Lexi and Linnaea while I’m gone, so that their time without me is happy and fulfilling."

In this context I think we all qualify as "local friends" and I for one will be sending in a little write-up to Chris.  No writing experience is necessary and everyone's experience of the race is interesting, so contact Chris at htcltd (at) gmail.com.  He would like to receive submissions within the next 3 weeks if possible.

Take care, everyone!

Bob
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:30:55 AM by BobM » Logged

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide, Cordillera, and Friends Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 01:45:42 AM
kato

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 01:45:42 AM »

Bob,
Thanks for posting this.
I know the Cordillera has been a must read item for me every year.  It definitely was part of my preperation for 2014 and again this year.  I know that there are a lot of stories out there from the race.  The Cordillera is the place to tell them.  I sure hope to read many accounts from my fellow racers, hopefuls, dreamers and maybe even some from you dot watchers.  The Divide is about so much more than just 1st, 2nd or 3rd place.

It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.

http://faroutwanderings.blogspot.com
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: