Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #40 on: January 14, 2021, 08:23:19 PM
Pampa

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2021, 08:23:19 PM »

Yeah, it's a solid time with a big 2 day gap from Brian's record to next racer. 2nd fastest is Rob Orr's 18:07:41 in 2015 (also over 60 record) and 3rd fastest is Rob Davidson 18:10:53 in 2017.

Thank you for the info. All very impressive times for 50+, and even more for 60+!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #41 on: January 17, 2021, 01:52:16 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2021, 01:52:16 PM »

Yeah, it's a solid time with a big 2 day gap from Brian's record to next racer. 2nd fastest is Rob Orr's 18:07:41 in 2015 (also over 60 record) and 3rd fastest is Rob Davidson 18:10:53 in 2017.

Also worth noting, Robert was a triple crown finisher that year. We shared a particularly memorable night time push up Sergeants Mesa on the CTR that year. Incredibly strong and the nicest fellow.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #42 on: February 03, 2021, 03:29:40 PM
Pampa

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2021, 03:29:40 PM »

It's probably too soon, but I was wondering if anyone heard about any (un)official word/chatter about the likelihood of the race starting in Banff on June 11th? Or about alternative plans?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #43 on: February 03, 2021, 03:58:17 PM
vmikee

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2021, 03:58:17 PM »

@Pampa,  it's too early to know for sure.  The border closure has been extended through Feb 21st, but the closure has been extended on a monthly basis for almost a year.  The new US Administration has started dialog with Canada on what would be needed to get the border opened again, but you'd have to be a pretty solid optimist to think it will open by June.  Here's an article regarding the current discussion:

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2021/01/north-country-officials-glad-biden-is-planning-for-us-canada-border-opening/

I believe most folks are either considering a GDR (US border to border starting in Roosville) or are planning to hold off until later in the year.  There is a group planning for a group "Smart" depart on August 20th from Banff (regardless of whether or not the border is open in June).  I think there are also folks planning to go Northbound on Jun 11th and hope the border is open by the time they get there.  But, ultimately, I think we will be seeing a lot of GDR attempts this year unfortunately...

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #44 on: February 03, 2021, 05:30:25 PM
Pampa

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2021, 05:30:25 PM »

@vmikee, thank you for the update! Not what I wanted to hear, but it's what I expected Smiley The Northbound option is interesting. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think if this year we don't have a Grand Depart from Banff, in 2022 we'll have the biggest Grand Depart ever Smiley That would be a lot of fun!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #45 on: February 04, 2021, 12:23:05 AM
Tacodelmontana

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2021, 12:23:05 AM »

I am planning on going border to border within the US, starting in Montana.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #46 on: February 06, 2021, 06:35:47 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2021, 06:35:47 AM »

A concern coming in from my friends in New Mexico - the Navajo nation is still experiencing very high levels of coronavirus outbreaks. A two  week required quarantine was implemented to pass through that territory. Last summer, they closed the interior N.M. border to neighboring states. I'm not sure as of this morning what the status is. Hopefully health will progress rapidly.
In some regards, it would seem prudent at this volatile time that the TD not be an organized event this year due to the unpredictability of Covid and its rippling effects, and thus subsequent liability or negativity to the race director. Several other favorite races have canceled this year for these reasons.
Riding our bikes in events is a privilege given to us by those who have worked hard to create them. Waiting a year or two for the next opportunity so that safe passage, community health, and city, state and countries are fully on board is certainly worth it IMHO. I would rather wait than jeopardize future opportunities or a race directors ability to continue to provide racing opportunities.
Do we miss the races? Of course. Passion courses through our veins. But patience does as well - we're bikepackers. Let patience have its way, ride the endless supply of open trails available across the US and know that the Tour Divide, if not this year, will most certainly be back in '22. Whatever decision is made by Matt I will support. Either way, my sights are set on '22.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #47 on: February 06, 2021, 08:27:26 AM
vmikee

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2021, 08:27:26 AM »

@bon, I still say it?s too early to tell what things will be like in June. Many of my friends and family members on the Navajo Nation have already been vaccinated. They are making a huge effort to get as many people vaccinated as possible as quickly as possible. I agree that if the quarantine is still in effect, the race should be delayed or cancelled, but, at least for the Navajo Nation, I think they are taking good steps now to minimize issues by summer. I don?t know about the rest of the state, hopefully they can get vaccinations ramped up as well.  I?m optimistic that we will at least be able to a GDR, if not in June, then in August.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #48 on: February 06, 2021, 08:45:40 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2021, 08:45:40 AM »

So good to hear! Anything is possible. I'm just saying it's ok to wait if need be. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the trail whenever that may be!

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #49 on: February 06, 2021, 09:28:42 AM
Pampa

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2021, 09:28:42 AM »

I agree with you @Bon. I want to do the race if the right conditions are in place, if not, I rather do something else this year. I already shifted my plans to this week to do the CTR. It looks like that's on for now, and it's a race I always wanted to do as well. I hope this one doesn't cancel. If it does, I'll look for another one (there's a new gravel race across Colorado this year), and another one, etc Smiley

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #50 on: February 06, 2021, 06:34:49 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2021, 06:34:49 PM »

Always something fantastic to do if we look, @Pampa! Good for you for going after more adventures! The CTR does look amazing. A bit outside my comfort zone. The very thing I love!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #51 on: March 15, 2021, 02:28:01 PM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2021, 02:28:01 PM »

A concern coming in from my friends in New Mexico - the Navajo nation is still experiencing very high levels of coronavirus outbreaks. A two  week required quarantine was implemented to pass through that territory. Last summer, they closed the interior N.M. border to neighboring states. I'm not sure as of this morning what the status is. Hopefully health will progress rapidly.
In some regards, it would seem prudent at this volatile time that the TD not be an organized event this year due to the unpredictability of Covid and its rippling effects, and thus subsequent liability or negativity to the race director. Several other favorite races have canceled this year for these reasons.
Riding our bikes in events is a privilege given to us by those who have worked hard to create them. Waiting a year or two for the next opportunity so that safe passage, community health, and city, state and countries are fully on board is certainly worth it IMHO. I would rather wait than jeopardize future opportunities or a race directors ability to continue to provide racing opportunities.
Do we miss the races? Of course. Passion courses through our veins. But patience does as well - we're bikepackers. Let patience have its way, ride the endless supply of open trails available across the US and know that the Tour Divide, if not this year, will most certainly be back in '22. Whatever decision is made by Matt I will support. Either way, my sights are set on '22.

This says nothing about June so is merely a glimmer of hope. I think Colorado is not considered 'high risk' at least not right now.

From the
Effective February 11, New Mexico will no longer require self-quarantine for visitors arriving into the state from "high-risk" states.

from https://www.newmexico.org/covid-19-traveler-information/

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #52 on: March 17, 2021, 11:42:40 AM
salsola

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2021, 11:42:40 AM »

Posting this here from the Facebook TD group for those who don't check for race updates there.  JP is offering up some race alternatives this year:

"Pete Basinger it's a different year... the TD grand depart will be back in 2022 and as you know ITT's are allowed whenever the border opens for those that are focused on that record/FKT.
To extract a time from a different event for the sake of trying to compare a FKT is not a direct comparison and a manipulation of numbers. It has no significance, it's not the TD record.
There is a opportunity to do something different, interesting, and maybe even build conversations around some history, the intent, and even reiterate some of the rules. Let's face it some of that has been buried.
As far as route goes...this is what I shared with Matthew.
1) Going to Rawlins is what really makes the Red Desert for what it is, let's do that, after all it is ACA route. The TD to Wamsutter has dumbed that down.
2) Take out the Gold Dust trail. It's not a part of ACA.
3) Take pavement towards Sapillo not CDT singletrack alternative in NM. That trail never got the improvements that were claimed to get nor does it recieve any maintenance. #2 and #3 IMO do not even make sense considering this is a dirt/gravel road route not a singletrack route.
4) Dirt out of Cuba because why do we need to make things easier and faster. And to pay respect to the reservation land as well as represent the bikepack community in a positive way during the pandemic.
Maybe this will be the beginning of a B2B standard for those that want to challenge it but considering the history and that nobody challenged Nobles B2B record since TD started I doubt it. So, as a group start this year everyone would be on the same playing field. I just look forward to doing something different and hopefully people show up that want to race against each other. Kind of like the old days...and not entirely fixated on a record. I hope to see you there."

I'm planning a north-bound run and was entertaining taking the dirt route from Grants to Cuba in part to avoid impacts on the Navajo nation, but also to keep the route as scenic as possible for myself.  Going north-bound, the CDT alternate near Silver City is a nice ride so I'd hate to see that get dropped for the old route that uses more pavement and a busy state highway (although the Georgetown Cemetery is cool).
Interesting to see if Jay's suggestions become the "official" route for 2021.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #53 on: March 19, 2021, 02:56:21 AM
WatermelonSugar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2021, 02:56:21 AM »

Posting this here from the Facebook TD group for those who don't check for race updates there.  JP is offering up some race alternatives this year:

"Pete Basinger it's a different year... the TD grand depart will be back in 2022 and as you know ITT's are allowed whenever the border opens for those that are focused on that record/FKT.
To extract a time from a different event for the sake of trying to compare a FKT is not a direct comparison and a manipulation of numbers. It has no significance, it's not the TD record.
There is a opportunity to do something different, interesting, and maybe even build conversations around some history, the intent, and even reiterate some of the rules. Let's face it some of that has been buried.
As far as route goes...this is what I shared with Matthew.
1) Going to Rawlins is what really makes the Red Desert for what it is, let's do that, after all it is ACA route. The TD to Wamsutter has dumbed that down.
2) Take out the Gold Dust trail. It's not a part of ACA.
3) Take pavement towards Sapillo not CDT singletrack alternative in NM. That trail never got the improvements that were claimed to get nor does it recieve any maintenance. #2 and #3 IMO do not even make sense considering this is a dirt/gravel road route not a singletrack route.
4) Dirt out of Cuba because why do we need to make things easier and faster. And to pay respect to the reservation land as well as represent the bikepack community in a positive way during the pandemic.
Maybe this will be the beginning of a B2B standard for those that want to challenge it but considering the history and that nobody challenged Nobles B2B record since TD started I doubt it. So, as a group start this year everyone would be on the same playing field. I just look forward to doing something different and hopefully people show up that want to race against each other. Kind of like the old days...and not entirely fixated on a record. I hope to see you there."

I'm planning a north-bound run and was entertaining taking the dirt route from Grants to Cuba in part to avoid impacts on the Navajo nation, but also to keep the route as scenic as possible for myself.  Going north-bound, the CDT alternate near Silver City is a nice ride so I'd hate to see that get dropped for the old route that uses more pavement and a busy state highway (although the Georgetown Cemetery is cool).
Interesting to see if Jay's suggestions become the "official" route for 2021.
I think Gold Dust should be kept in. It keeps you on your toes!
It's funny how he wants this taken out but then later goes on to say "why do we need to make things easier and faster"!

Leave the Gold

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #54 on: March 19, 2021, 08:52:59 AM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2021, 08:52:59 AM »

If it were me I'd keep the CDT singletrack in NM too. I prefer the TDR route through the Basin as well. More scenic and more water... 

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #55 on: March 19, 2021, 12:18:40 PM
MikeI

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2021, 12:18:40 PM »

Canadian land border closure extended to April 21.  Sigh .....

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #56 on: March 22, 2021, 12:17:27 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2021, 12:17:27 AM »

I'd love to see the full Flathead return in lieu of Fernie, or the route to remain as is.
A great option about this year, and bikepacking  in general, is that anyone can create a personalized ITT border to border ride and customize a route to their own liking. It would still be an experience of a lifetime.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 05:39:31 AM by bon » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #57 on: April 22, 2021, 06:42:04 PM
sundog99

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2021, 06:42:04 PM »

Can someone post the website to sign-up for the 2021 TD?  Thanks!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #58 on: April 22, 2021, 07:17:51 PM
MikeI

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2021, 07:17:51 PM »

Can someone post the website to sign-up for the 2021 TD?  Thanks!

Send an LOI email to  tourdivide@gmail.com   that's the one that counts and it'll get you on the GPX distribution list and you'll get a link for trackleaders, when it gets closer to GO time

this link to signup and get on the unofficial spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScyh3S85XnT5CYywAUCvLgqb1RQHGg1b1zxop3_iodFPjI4dw/viewform?fbclid=IwAR2yHRk7_RDyi4vGZddboB_vqL2qdQxD9LxR_VTWoH1gxgPcIscu4P6GR5s

this link to see who signed up:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CbYlMTvpCsikWFL_AK_9Wmxy35caavdC_zAOEnd1D00/edit?fbclid=IwAR3xZBjpMiJX_PnAqKtFEwc3d_gHjm0nwPoZ2qpTaUchMeziKe57kdtV6nc#gid=1206541648

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2021 Preparation & Planning Reply #59 on: April 22, 2021, 10:52:48 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2021, 10:52:48 PM »

Can someone post the website to sign-up for the 2021 TD?  Thanks!

Give the tourdivide.org website a good read through. Lots of great info, fantastic old Letters of Intent to read, rules etc. The Letter of Intent to race is submitted there.

There is no other sign up requirement. The original 'unofficial sign up sheet' was created back in the day for the purpose of those interested in contributing to the Cordillera. It is not required nor used by the RD for official purposes. A lot of riders do not put their info on that spreadsheet. Totally up to you.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:07:45 PM by bon » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: