Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #60 on: May 08, 2020, 03:35:06 PM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2020, 03:35:06 PM »

Thanks for the info on Montana.

Here is the latest on Gallup NM:

https://apnews.com/34453564211d6bb77ba85a2fa5ce85a3

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #61 on: May 12, 2020, 09:58:32 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2020, 09:58:32 PM »

All,

I had a productive phone call with a Parks CA official today. TD is very much on their radar this year due to the pandemic, and last year's incident in their park when a TD rider was unfortunately charged with illegal camping (pre-grand depart) as he hit the panic button for a bear eating his camp food (sigh...). More on that here: https://www.rmotoday.com/banff/banff-black-bear-feasts-on-illegal-campers-food-1574358

The Official confirmed Banff NP will be observing a rigid 15-person max group size rule in the park for the remainder of the summer. This means no group TD start (obviously).

Concern was registered for *any* TD rider who may plan to show up in Banff--that all messages re. safety, health, etc. aimed at prospective ITTers be coordinated through them. This means they want to chat with me weekly for the next couple months. They will likely be putting together some bullet points for riders (I'm not sure what that will look like). They expressed interest in knowing about anyone who decides to ITT from Banff through end of June (yikes, oversight). This summer will be an important trial period for any riders along the GDMBR, period; not just because of COVID, but because the whole continent is grumpy. Any bad behavior or virus outbreaks tied to bikepackers will not reflect well on TD, and is likely be blown out of proportion.

The US and CA will be deciding imminently if they're going to pop the lock on the border next week, or extend for another 30 days. The scientists seem to be against reopening next week (https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/12/canada-us-border-reopening-251965), however, if the border does open, there is nothing *legally* stopping a responsible bikepacker from ITTing the TD route in June from Banff.

Please--please, if you are one with such notions (I am withholding my personal judgement on such), please drop a brief heads-up email to tourdivide@gmail.com. There will be a route file of some sort or another made available by early-ish June. We don't have the luxury of many scouts out there pre-riding sections of the GDMBR currently, so I am unaware--as is ACA--of any major route changes required. Last year there was a detour required for logging just after Ferndale MT. I am awaiting word if that detour will still apply. If the logging is finished and the traditional route G2G, there will be a new file.

That's all I know for now  icon_salut
Matthew

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #62 on: May 13, 2020, 04:58:54 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2020, 04:58:54 AM »

All,

I had a productive phone call with a Parks CA official today. TD is very much on their radar this year due to the pandemic, and last year's incident in their park when a TD rider was unfortunately charged with illegal camping (pre-grand depart) as he hit the panic button for a bear eating his camp food (sigh...). More on that here: https://www.rmotoday.com/banff/banff-black-bear-feasts-on-illegal-campers-food-1574358

The Official confirmed Banff NP will be observing a rigid 15-person max group size rule in the park for the remainder of the summer. This means no group TD start (obviously).

Concern was registered for *any* TD rider who may plan to show up in Banff--that all messages re. safety, health, etc. aimed at prospective ITTers be coordinated through them. This means they want to chat with me weekly for the next couple months. They will likely be putting together some bullet points for riders (I'm not sure what that will look like). They expressed interest in knowing about anyone who decides to ITT from Banff through end of June (yikes, oversight). This summer will be an important trial period for any riders along the GDMBR, period; not just because of COVID, but because the whole continent is grumpy. Any bad behavior or virus outbreaks tied to bikepackers will not reflect well on TD, and is likely be blown out of proportion.

The US and CA will be deciding imminently if they're going to pop the lock on the border next week, or extend for another 30 days. The scientists seem to be against reopening next week (https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/12/canada-us-border-reopening-251965), however, if the border does open, there is nothing *legally* stopping a responsible bikepacker from ITTing the TD route in June from Banff.

Please--please, if you are one with such notions (I am withholding my personal judgement on such), please drop a brief heads-up email to tourdivide@gmail.com. There will be a route file of some sort or another made available by early-ish June. We don't have the luxury of many scouts out there pre-riding sections of the GDMBR currently, so I am unaware--as is ACA--of any major route changes required. Last year there was a detour required for logging just after Ferndale MT. I am awaiting word if that detour will still apply. If the logging is finished and the traditional route G2G, there will be a new file.

That's all I know for now  icon_salut
Matthew

Thank you for the update and details.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #63 on: May 13, 2020, 06:16:19 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2020, 06:16:19 AM »

Thanks for the update.
The jury is still out as to my Summer ride plans as I am waiting to see how things pan out. If I do ride out of Banff, it will be late July or early August and will be a touring pace with a mish mash of old TD routes. To Elkford, flathead pass, cabin pass, Galton to the border with minimal stops along the way.

OT - Other options are round trip to the coast. Ride back to the flatlands. Fly with the wife to FCA and spend a week riding the mountains on our mountain tandem.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #64 on: May 13, 2020, 12:04:40 PM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2020, 12:04:40 PM »

It looks like the border will remain closed until later in June at least:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-canada/canada-us-are-likely-to-extend-travel-restrictions-until-june-21-sources-idUSKBN22P1IU

Matt, thank you for your post.

I am still planning/hoping to ride from Rooseville south but it all depends on what is happening on the route.  I certainly don't want to go where people have asked outsiders to stay away.  Perhaps I will have to settle for just doing part of the route.

Dave

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #65 on: May 19, 2020, 02:21:39 PM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2020, 02:21:39 PM »

Border officially closed until at least June 21st.  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-19/u-s-canada-agree-to-extend-border-closure-for-30-days

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #66 on: May 23, 2020, 08:10:40 PM
cpblue

Cut it with a multi tool

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2020, 08:10:40 PM »

My preparation and planning is different as I?m simply a fan who likes to follow along and listen in.   Sad to see things not working out.  Prayers to those who try and sorry for those who trained so hard.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #67 on: June 12, 2020, 12:44:43 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2020, 12:44:43 AM »

The small driveway outside of the YWCA in Banff sits quietly as the fading dark is swept away with a fresh and gentle breeze. The sights and sounds of morning take over the landscape. Friday has come.

This is no ordinary place, though its buildings are basic and its driveway unremarkable. No, there is something very special about this place - a unique sort of magic sits here; an undeniable sensation, an incredible expectation that floats within the very molecules of this morning - the second Friday of June.  Sunshine cuts through the puffy rain clouds and spirals down across the asphalt while storm clouds loom off in the distance. The aroma of adventure rises from the ground, mingled within the early morning fog. Great evergreen trees and dew covered brush beckon towards the forest just south of here. Even the wind seems to pull and nudge towards the trailhead, as off in the distance the Spray Trail awaits.

But today is different. There is an irregular silence in the air; an unexpected quiet, and all of Banff seems to be holding its breath.

There are no bikes sprawled across the lawn; no gathering of excited riders embracing and exchanging nervous chatter about gear and conditions, supplies or weather. The curved parking lot is empty. Down the road, the dirt at the entrance of the trailhead remains unmoved. There is an unexpected stillness where willpower, fortitude and strength should be racing to meet the majestic trees, rugged mountains and unbelievably crystal clear streams. But not today. Not this time.

If you were to stand outside of the YWCA this morning, close your eyes and listen closely, you just might swear you could hear something. The faint voices of riders, the familiar sounds of bikes and gear, photos and well wishes. You might even feel the energy of the riders flow through you, and it just might make you smile.

Scattered around the world today, that energy, that magic still sits within each of us. Though we are not gathered together in that parking lot, it is not gone. In fact it is very much alive. What we do - who we are - isn't erased by unexpected occurrences, changing circumstances or even canceled events. We are much, much bigger than that. We are bikepackers. We are trained for the unexpected; forged by the very trials and challenges that come our way. Our determination, fortitude and will become stronger and more refined as we shift ourselves to adapt to what's in front of us.

Although you might not see us scattered around the YWCA parking, or moving like a giant serpentine towards the Spray trailhead, you can know one thing for certain - we are still e pluribus unum - out of many, we are one. From our homes around the world, our hearts and minds are gathered together this morning, with visions of fellow racers and friends, lining up shoulder to shoulder for that group photo before we plunge into the greatest unknown where our lives will be forever changed.

More than ever before, as the countdown begins towards 2021, I can't wait to see you all next June!

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #68 on: June 12, 2020, 02:50:42 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2020, 02:50:42 AM »

Thanks, Bonnie. I hand not even thought of today being the day.

And not just in Banff, but thousands of dot watchers sitting in front of computer monitors waiting to see the dots start to move.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #69 on: June 12, 2020, 07:51:06 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2020, 07:51:06 AM »

Thanks, Bonnie. I hand not even thought of today being the day.

And not just in Banff, but thousands of dot watchers sitting in front of computer monitors waiting to see the dots start to move.

Here's to all of the DOT watchers, all very much a part of the family!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #70 on: June 12, 2020, 01:50:29 PM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2020, 01:50:29 PM »

Nicely said.
I see a couple of riders out there. Started at the border it looks like.

http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide20

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #71 on: June 12, 2020, 08:56:19 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2020, 08:56:19 PM »

Go Jeff & Eric!!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #72 on: June 16, 2020, 09:39:42 AM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2020, 09:39:42 AM »

fyi border closure extended till 7/21
  Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: