Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #40 on: April 17, 2020, 12:21:53 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2020, 12:21:53 PM »

Hey- nice T-shirt in your avatar. The shirt of the 2019 Tour Divide Smiley
Still a personal favorite! Smiley

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #41 on: April 17, 2020, 05:33:02 PM
aarond

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2020, 05:33:02 PM »

Bonnie, I'm not sure Matt Lee will chime in.  He personally told me that he had received death threats in 2014 or 2015 for decisions he made to relegate some people who deviated from the route.  Since this was just a labor of love and he gets no reward for being RD, i believe he stepped away.  From what i understand, even trackleaders employs an algorithm to relegate people so that they don't have to get personally involved, hence the rule to "police yourselves."  Of course Matt can tell me if I'm wrong, though.  The beauty of this race is that it is grassroots.  The start date has already been determined forever into the future, and no one has to take personal responsibility for how the race plays out.  I don' t speak for trackleaders, but if sometime this summer health authorities open the whole route, and recreational teavel is allowed across all international, state, county, city, and perhaps especially tribal boundaries, I hope trackleaders would open the route for registration.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #42 on: April 18, 2020, 07:15:21 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2020, 07:15:21 AM »

Not to hijack. Haven't been on here in a long time. I also don't do FB or other social media so this is the place where I hear what's going on in the BPing community.

I had not planned on riding out of Canada again but the bug hit me again. Last year I toured South with my wife on our mountain tandem and it was a lot of fun. Our picnic on Whitefish divide was one of the best experiences in our marriage. We didn't get to go to some places where I'd have liked but it was a great experience for her and me.

Depending when and how things get moving again, I'll likely head South again late this year. I've learned so much the last 4 times down the trail. Especially what I don't "need".

Ride safe all.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #43 on: April 19, 2020, 06:57:05 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2020, 06:57:05 AM »

Not to hijack. Haven't been on here in a long time. I also don't do FB or other social media so this is the place where I hear what's going on in the BPing community.

I had not planned on riding out of Canada again but the bug hit me again. Last year I toured South with my wife on our mountain tandem and it was a lot of fun. Our picnic on Whitefish divide was one of the best experiences in our marriage. We didn't get to go to some places where I'd have liked but it was a great experience for her and me.

Depending when and how things get moving again, I'll likely head South again late this year. I've learned so much the last 4 times down the trail. Especially what I don't "need".

Ride safe all.

That's really cool - glad you and your wife had a lovely experience!!
The fact is everything will open again. What a glorious day it will be to ride the trail!

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #44 on: April 21, 2020, 02:07:11 PM
Camalot

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2020, 02:07:11 PM »

After a winter of riding the trainer, purchasing equipment and preparing, I'm calling off my bid for the Tour Divide for 2020.  There will be another time that is more conducive to long distance adventuring.  Rural communities don't need any extra pressure on their medical systems, even from crashes and non-pandemic related illnesses.  Can't even get to Utah or a warm local for multi-day shakedown ride right now anyway and June is right around the corner.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #45 on: April 22, 2020, 09:10:38 AM
aarond

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2020, 09:10:38 AM »

Sounds like a good decision for you.  Thanks for not insisting the rest of us follow your example.  At this point, medical resources are not strained anywhere along the route (see ihme), and in fact, there is an emerging crisis in the number of medical workers who have been laid off and furloughed. I have taken a ton of flak for wanting to ride this summer, as though i intended to be a lone typhoid mary, thumbing my nose at the rules and safety all to satisfy my own selfish ego.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  I would only ride if the route was already overrun with tourists.  If not, no ride.  I hope, and it has always been my belief that in july, banff, steamboat, gunnison, salida, abiquiu and silver city will be overrun with tourists, and bikepackers wont even be noticed.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #46 on: April 27, 2020, 08:15:05 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2020, 08:15:05 PM »

Bonnie, I'm not sure Matt Lee will chime in.  He personally told me that he had received death threats in 2014 or 2015 for decisions he made to relegate some people who deviated from the route.  Since this was just a labor of love and he gets no reward for being RD, i believe he stepped away.  From what i understand, even trackleaders employs an algorithm to relegate people so that they don't have to get personally involved, hence the rule to "police yourselves."  Of course Matt can tell me if I'm wrong, though.  The beauty of this race is that it is grassroots.  The start date has already been determined forever into the future, and no one has to take personal responsibility for how the race plays out.  I don' t speak for trackleaders, but if sometime this summer health authorities open the whole route, and recreational teavel is allowed across all international, state, county, city, and perhaps especially tribal boundaries, I hope trackleaders would open the route for registration.

That's terrible to hear regarding the death threats. Very sad.
I know we're all sitting on pins and needles if not in hope, then at least in curiosity to see if the route will open and the cities and towns are able to welcome racers.
I'm watching for that infamous trackleaders registration email.
I really hope this virus is ousted and our world heals.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #47 on: April 29, 2020, 03:23:54 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »

I don' t speak for trackleaders, but if sometime this summer health authorities open the whole route, and recreational teavel is allowed across all international, state, county, city, and perhaps especially tribal boundaries, I hope trackleaders would open the route for registration.

We are happy to track ITTs as long as the route is open, i.e. no stay-at-home orders or other health restrictions.   That goes for all routes.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #48 on: April 30, 2020, 07:54:03 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2020, 07:54:03 PM »

We are happy to track ITTs as long as the route is open, i.e. no stay-at-home orders or other health restrictions.   That goes for all routes.

That's great to hear, Scott. Hopefully our country will heal.
Who would create the route and would it be an official TD finish?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #49 on: May 01, 2020, 07:57:12 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2020, 07:57:12 AM »

That's great to hear, Scott. Hopefully our country will heal.
Who would create the route and would it be an official TD finish?

I'm sure I'll produce a GPX file unless for some reason there are no known updates to the route!

In my view if the route is available without major modifications it would be an official finish.  But if major reroutes (say around reservation land) are in, official finish yes but perhaps not valid for records.  No way to say at this point.  Maybe riders will finally have to take the Cuba->Grants dirt.  Cheesy

And of course it's up to the community what an official finish would be and what constitutes a record.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #50 on: May 01, 2020, 09:23:08 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2020, 09:23:08 AM »

I'm sure I'll produce a GPX file unless for some reason there are no known updates to the route!

In my view if the route is available without major modifications it would be an official finish.  But if major reroutes (say around reservation land) are in, official finish yes but perhaps not valid for records.  No way to say at this point.  Maybe riders will finally have to take the Cuba->Grants dirt.  Cheesy

And of course it's up to the community what an official finish would be and what constitutes a record.

Thats great to hear, Scott.
Thank you for all you do!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #51 on: May 01, 2020, 12:09:18 PM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2020, 12:09:18 PM »

I am optimistic that things will improve as we get the summer heat.  Many viruses, but not all, appear to be heat sensitive.  There are many theories on this, the one that seems most logical to me and my non scientific mind is that the virus does not survive long on hot surfaces thus transmission is more difficult.  Another is that we tend to get more vitamin D in the summer months.  This is why there tends to be a seasonal pattern to many viruses.  How Covid 19 behaves no one knows yet.  I live in Tucson and I think the place to watch is Arizona since the vast majority of the population live in areas that heat up, Phoenix and Tucson.  I am watching the death rates that are a trailing indicator.  Test results don't really tell us much on a macro view.

This was going to be my big year as I planned to start in Roseville and head to AW.  A couple of years ago I did the lower 400 plus miles and wanted to keep going when I got to AW.  I had pretty much given up on it with all the lock down and concerns of locals on the route.  However I started to think maybe things will open back up so I continued to train.  I am not a racer so my training is not overly scientific.  I am doing 60 mile rides every other day and mixing climbing and rest days between.  It works for me.  Yesterday I did 60 and it was 102F.  I have found that if I keep riding as it heats up I adjust to it up to about 106F when hydration and clear thinking becomes difficult.  I am an old fart, turning 65 in June.

What I would really like to see here on Bikepacking.net is reports on what is happening in the towns on the route.  It might not be possible to do the whole route this year but maybe large portions may be open.  I am concerned that many tourist the businesses might not open this year and that needs to be known for planning purposes.  I have no intention of riding through areas where the welcome mat is rolled up.

Back when I joined Bikepacking.net, I think it was around 2011, it was the only place for such discussions.  Now everyone seems to be doing the creepy Facebook thing.  Personally I would like that discussion to migrate back to where it started, on Bikepacking.net.  Maybe if the locals on the route start posting real time info that will happen.

I am going to go for a ride now and visit the rattle snakes, lizards and javelinas as they are the only living things out and about where I ride.

Dave

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #52 on: May 03, 2020, 08:49:08 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2020, 08:49:08 PM »

Dave - I would love to see town updates here too. That would be great!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #53 on: May 04, 2020, 07:32:47 AM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2020, 07:32:47 AM »

I got a little info from  friends near Magdalena NM where I have a little off the grid place.  I have been avoiding traveling there for my and their benefit.  Anyway they said there have been some cases at the Alamo Reservation, about a mile from my place as the crow flies, and at least one death in Socorro.  By road Magdalena is about 60 miles east of Pie Town.  As far as the route goes you have Gallup to the west.  With the restrictions on Gallup I am sure people are going to head to Milan and Grants for supplies so there are going to be problems.  Also people travel the dirt roads regularly from Alamo north to Laguna located on I 40.  If this doesn't die out soon its spreading in the area seems certain.  On the plus side people are naturally dispersed but in places like Gallup alcohol abuse is rampant.

I was thinking about a trip to the San Juan River but when I looked into it they are having a real problem there.  Further west Page, Tuba City and Flagstaff medical facilities are all seeing a lot of Covid cases, most from Indian land.

I am tempted to hook my sheep wagon up to the truck, fill a bunch of jugs with fuel and water, and head to the Gila.  Perhaps camp on the Plains of San Augustine for a week or so with interaction with anyone, the ultimate in antisocial distancing.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #54 on: May 04, 2020, 07:35:12 AM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2020, 07:35:12 AM »

That was supposed to be NO interaction.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #55 on: May 04, 2020, 10:22:14 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2020, 10:22:14 PM »

Thanks for sharing insight, Dave.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #56 on: May 05, 2020, 07:50:41 AM
salsola

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2020, 07:50:41 AM »

I am tempted to hook my sheep wagon up to the truck, fill a bunch of jugs with fuel and water, and head to the Gila.  Perhaps camp on the Plains of San Augustine for a week or so with interaction with anyone, the ultimate in antisocial distancing.

I'm in Silver City and you might be surprised at how many people have been doing the very thing you suggest here.  This is often a busy time of year in the Gila (turkey hunting, extended spring break trips, folks from northern areas escaping 'mud season, etc.) but it feels different this year.  More random dispersed camping where you wouldn't ordinarily see it.  Perhaps it is the closure of the Forest Service campgrounds that are pushing people into atypical spots.  Hard to say.  County-wide we currently have 15 confirmed positive cases and seem to add two or three cases a week.  Not the runaway growth we are seeing in other parts of NM. 

In town most services a bike rider would need remain open.  The bike shops in NM have been considered "essential services" but that doesn't necessarily mean the shop is open 9-5 Monday- Sat.  I wouldn't count on pedaling into town with a mechanical issue and expect to get service immediately.  It may take a phone call to arrange an appointment. 

Food resupply wouldn't be too difficult, but most stores are metering the number of customers entering to comply with the State's guidelines for social distancing so you may have to wait in line before entering.  Of course all the Forest Service developed campground are closed and I'm assuming that means the Beaverhead Work Center as well.  Last weekend I rode up to the Signal Peak fire tower (just off the TD route north of town) and they had the road to the facility gated with a sign explaining the closure due to Covid.   I'd have a back-up plan for water in case Beaverhead is not allowing visitors-- like filtering out of Wall Lake or finding a windmill and stock tank. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #57 on: May 06, 2020, 01:03:53 PM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2020, 01:03:53 PM »

I'm outside of whitefish and here in this county things are odd, i guess like everywhere. I believe that barring a resurgence of virus by early june cyclists would be welcome providing they act appropriately. This county has not had positive in over 2 weeks and i think only ever had 15 (100k population) so pretty good. no idea if the border will actually open by then. I know if there was much currently open above 4500 ft road or trail wise I would be bike touring but there is not so i'm biding my time.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #58 on: May 08, 2020, 09:18:07 AM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2020, 09:18:07 AM »

Another Son 28 question.  Recently I purchased a Son 28 and Sinewave Beacon and I love it.  I have been wondering if I should reduce the size of my Anker battery pack since I can now charge the battery pack anytime I am riding and thus there is no need for the large capacity and extra weight.  As far as electronics go all I carry is a Garmin 800, iPad mini (almost always off), iPhone (almost always off) and an In Reach Explorer (almost always off).  What are you guys doing?

Thanks

Dave

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #59 on: May 08, 2020, 12:09:33 PM
LostLlamaRanch

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2020, 12:09:33 PM »

Barbara and I run a bike hostel about 25 miles south of Lincoln, Montana, right on the GDMBR route.

See this search for more information (we don't have a website):

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00kTQdo3WdcinUOsmGUpyEHGrSsdg%3A1588961864602&ei=SKK1Xs2tJJL0-gSj27FY&q=GDMBR+%22barbara+nye%22&oq=GDMBR+%22barbara+nye%22&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzoHCCMQrgIQJzoGCAAQBxAeOgIIADoICAAQCBAHEB5QjdcBWKzzAWCj_gFoAHAAeACAAXCIAZkFkgEDNy4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjN8YCc8KTpAhUSup4KHaNtDAsQ4dUDCAw&uact

In 2019 we hosted 362 riders and served 100's more who popped in but couldn't stay. It's a wonderful experience for us! But ...

... this year?

Two problems with respect to COVID-19:

1) Barbara and I are in a higher risk demographic. If we do get sick, it might have adverse consequences for us. Who will run this place if we are gone?Huh? ;-)
2) COVID-19 carriers are sometimes asymptomatic.

Worst case scenario for us is that an asymptomatic rider stays with us and, through our normal hugs/handshakes and cabin duty of refurbishing our cabins, we get infected.

We haven't sorted out what we are going to do this year. For sure, we want riders to be able to pitch tents in the safe/open confines of our pasture, practicing "physical distancing", but the closed confines of the cabins present an interesting challenge. I suppose we could put cleaning supplies outside of the cabins and offer that riders can refurbish the cabins at their own risk? I'd really hate for our place to be the source of a COVID-19 outbreak on the GDMBR this summer ...

Montana has ranked near the bottom of COVID-19 cases and deaths and we all hope that trend continues. The odds of contracting the disease in Montana this summer will probably be low, but predicting the course of the spread of the disease is obviously a challenge.

Assuming there isn't an upsurge of the disease in Montana this summer, I feel that towns whose livelihood hinges on the summer tourist industry (e.g. Ovando and Lincoln) will be open for business and there should be no problem with resupply in the larger towns like Helena and Butte.

Barbara and I look forward to seeing you this summer. Even if you can't stay overnight with us, please stop in for a beer/pop/water and a snack. We'd love to hear how your adventure is going!

Hopefully by the time you get here, we'll have figured out our strategy!

John
  Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: