Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 06:31:04 AM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 06:31:04 AM »

I will be riding the route from Roosville south at about the same time the Tour Divide in happening.  I don't like the complications border crossings cause nor the limitations imposed by border crossings on the route.  Over the years my kit has gotten simpler and simpler.  My bike is a Ti Fargo.  For bags I have an Ortlieb a bar bag and small (front) panniers used on the rear and a gas tank.  I use paper maps and virtually no electronic navigation.  I have never liked using electronic navigation and since a prudent person always has maps for a back up why not just use paper maps.  Besides, when things really go south, you can't wipe your behind or start a fire with a GPX file.  I do have some tech, an In Reach and the dreaded cell phone.  This year I am having a Son 20 hub wheel made up with a Sinewave light and charger.

A couple of years ago I rode from Grants to AW and that was fun but too short.  Last year I didn't get any big rides in due to some injuries.  While healing from those injuries I realized we all only have a limited time to do these rides so this year is the year for me.  It is hard for me to believe but I will be turning 65 on the ride.

I am rambling here so I will wrap it up.  If you TD racers see some old fool in a mental haze unable to navigate a C store, no need for a silver alert, it is just me being me.  If you see some old fool sitting on the side of the trail enjoying a mid day cigar, don't shake your head in disgust, just wave.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 01:35:40 PM
Webbcorp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 01:35:40 PM »

I plan to do the Tour Divide 2020 starting in Banff on June 12th for the very first time and have questions. 

The website tourdivide.org references 2014 race, this website is also referenced by bikepacking.com as their official site, am I not finding the correct site? 

Also bikepacking.com states email tourdivide@gmail.com to give a letter of intent.  I sent the email and got no response.  How do I ensure I have entered?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 02:03:08 PM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 02:03:08 PM »

The site is correct- just out of date, but read the rules! Don't expect a response. In due time the list of people with intention to ride will be posted- maybe even on this thread. Just keep an eye out for it. You'll also be contacted about how to post your dot on trackleaders.com  If that hasn't happened within a week of the race, do more investigation!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 09:29:58 AM
Webbcorp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 09:29:58 AM »

Dynamo Hub.  Does everyone who races for a good time in the Tour Divide have one?  Lots of weight and there is 16.5 hours of light each day.  But if yes, all top finishers have them, then SON Dynamo, SP or other recommended?  I.e. is there a clear choice?  Lightest weight, best functioning and most durable for Tour Divide?  Looks like Mike Hall had an SP, but see a lot about SON too.  Thank you.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 01:01:18 PM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 01:01:18 PM »

Some use them and some don't. I've read a good number of accounts of hub failures. But its nice to be able to charge your gear in the middle of nowhere.

But batteries have come a long way too- such that I don't see the need for a charging hub. For under thirty dollars you can get a cache battery off of ebay that can charge a newer iPhone about 4 times from stone dead- or your gps once a day for over a week. You'll get to a town to recharge your electronics and cache within a week... My cache battery has a solar cell on it (which helps a little...) and is the size of a cell phone. Its lighter than a dyanamo hub. I keep it on my handlebars.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 02:09:30 PM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 02:09:30 PM »

Most of the hub failures that I remember (past years races) have been SP. I'd go with a SON if I did it.

The pointy end of the field will sleep 2-4hrs a night, especially early on.  Backwards math is that it is light from 6am to 10pm (some light prior and after).  That leaves 8hrs of darkness.  If you have a light that can run 4-6hrs a night with limited recharging, or from a battery pack, or from the limited stops in towns, then you'd be ok.  The full moon would help, especially when remote (haven't checked that calendar).

I think a person could easily go without a dynamo hub, but has to be diligent about charging at every opportunity.  Having a dynamo relieves you of the stress and you just ride.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #26 on: March 15, 2020, 05:12:34 PM
RobD(NZ)

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2020, 05:12:34 PM »

I've run with SP hubs for my TD rides. I have had no problems but I did build up a new one each time:-) I'm considering a SON this year and will pull the trigger on one or the other this week. I ran klite and front light and original klite Nimh USB first up then moved to Klite and sinewave revolution. Later I have been using the Sinewave beacon for lighting and charging as I really like the feature of plugging a cache battery back into the light for when the going is too slow to power the light off the dynamo - perhaps pushing off the bike uphill in snow at night.. I do get very slow sometimes;-) Each setup has pros and cons.. They are not a necessity but worth considering based on your riding style/preference.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #27 on: March 16, 2020, 09:05:37 PM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2020, 09:05:37 PM »

I finally bit the bullet and got a Son 28 and a Sinewave Beacon for my Ti Fargo.  I have been thinking about it for years and finally did it.  As I see it I can decrease the amount of AA batteries I carry and I can carry a smaller battery pack.  With the wheel build the cost came to about $1,000 US.  I have been riding with it for a few weeks and I am very happy with it. 

I do worry about water intrusion because with the light facing slightly downward the back with the jacks and switch is fully exposed to the weather.  I did find some rubber USB dummy plugs on Amazon that can help with the USB opening.  Sinewave does not recommend charging a battery and running the light at the same time so a dummy plug can fill the USB opening when the battery is disconnected.

My light is mounted on Jones bars using a mount supplied by Peter White cycles.  They were very helpful finding one that would work with the Jones bars.

Right now I have the wire running up the fork held in place with electrical tape.  I am still looking for a better solution than tape or zip ties.  Ideally a Velcro strap like they used to sell back in the 80s for holding a tire pump to the frame would work well if it wasn't that wide.  I like this idea because they had a neoprene cushion that kept the strap from slipping.  Such a strap would be easily removed and is reusable.  The weak point of these hubs appears to be the connectors on the hub. If you have to remove the wheel you have to disconnect the wires to the hub.  Having the ability to loosen the wire retainers would give more slack and facilitate avoiding damaging the connectors during removal.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 01:48:39 AM
WatermelonSugar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 01:48:39 AM »

Install a couple of https://www.dyna-snap.com/ and removing the wheel is a breeze.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #29 on: March 18, 2020, 06:56:29 PM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »

Thank you, I just ordered the connectors.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #30 on: April 13, 2020, 02:33:50 PM
happyriding

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2020, 02:33:50 PM »

What's the lowest gear that mortals require to ride up the big climbs?  The new 2020 Cutthroat with a 2x build has a low gear consisting of a 30T chainring and 34T cog, which is around 25 gear inches.  For me, that's barely low enough to ride up a steep hill unloaded on the road.   On my mtb, I run a 2x with a 24T chainring and a 40T cog for the low gear, which is under 17 gear inches, and I can climb some pretty steep stuff with that combo while wearing a pack.  I'm thinking that with a fully loaded bikepacking rig, I would need something similar to get up lesser inclines.  I've looked at Josh Kato's setup, and he ran a 2x on his Cutthroat and a 3x on his Ti Fargo.    

Thanks.                        
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 02:38:43 PM by happyriding » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #31 on: April 13, 2020, 03:07:34 PM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2020, 03:07:34 PM »

Funny you bring that up as I was looking at the Cutthroat gearing a few hours ago.  I saw the same thing.  I'd hope that you could replace that cassette to one with a low of 42 or 46.  By memory, i think the 1x version of the Cutthroat had a 46 as the low rear cassette.

When I road portions of the route, i was on a 32x46 for my low gear, it was mostly fine.  The few times that I walked were a welcome change from the pedaling.  I wasn't in the best shape at that part of my life.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #32 on: April 14, 2020, 12:04:55 PM
happyriding

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2020, 12:04:55 PM »

Thanks for the response Iowagriz.

I emailed Salsa, and they don't seem to think it's possible to get a 17 inch low gear.  It makes no sense to me, but apparently the 1x setup will provide the lowest gear with a 42T max cog (which is still over 20 gear inches).  I don't know if that has to do with the fact that the 2020 Cutthroat employs boost spacing (yet the max tire width is the same?).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:27:17 PM by happyriding » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #33 on: April 16, 2020, 10:58:15 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2020, 10:58:15 AM »

Thanks for the response bon.

I emailed Salsa, and they don't seem to think it's possible to get a 17 inch low gear.  It makes no sense to me, but apparently the 1x setup will provide the lowest gear with a 42T max cog (which is still over 20 gear inches).  I don't know if that has to do with the fact that the 2020 Cutthroat employs boost spacing (yet the max tire width is the same?).

Could be but I'm not sure.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #34 on: April 16, 2020, 11:00:50 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2020, 11:00:50 AM »

Has anyone heard from RD Matt Lee regarding June 12th? Looking for an official announcement.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #35 on: April 16, 2020, 04:23:38 PM
Climb1mt

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2020, 04:23:38 PM »

I haven?t heard anything.  Like most, I imagine he is trying to wait to see what is going to happen.  Kirsten has announced that she will keep Brush Mt Lodge closed this year:( .

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #36 on: April 17, 2020, 06:01:06 AM
aarond

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2020, 06:01:06 AM »

It is looking more and more likely 2020 will be a go, at least for itts, but david chirnside, of the fb tips and tricks page doesnt want you to know.  There has been a lot of discussion on the tour divide tips and tricks page about riding the divide in 2020.  It is looking more and more likely that people will be able to ride this summer, but david chirnside doesnt want you to know that.  I was banned for a second time from tour divide tips page.  The first time for asking bailey gene newbrey to clarify specifically what shops on the route didnt want us, after he claimed there were many and told some hapless dreamer to f off for thinking of riding.  Now im banned for posting an article saying trump wants to reopen some state economies before may 1.  This is a relevant post because some states on the route will be open soon. Unfortunately, the administrator on the tour divide page apparently has TDS and cant tolerate even the mention of trump.  This kind of viewpoint based discrimination makes david chirnside a liitle man.  Please keep in mind, if you look at the tour divide tips page on fb, it is censored and you will only learn what the administrator deems appropriate.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:25:49 AM by aarond » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #37 on: April 17, 2020, 06:03:26 AM
aarond

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2020, 06:03:26 AM »

Oh ya, wyoming will soon be completely open, so please come over, up, down and in to preview the 2020 divide in wyoming.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #38 on: April 17, 2020, 12:08:54 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2020, 12:08:54 PM »

I haven?t heard anything.  Like most, I imagine he is trying to wait to see what is going to happen.  Kirsten has announced that she will keep Brush Mt Lodge closed this year:( .

Thanks for chiming in. I do agree, and I am sure it is wise to wait it out as long as possible due to rapidly changing parameters.  I did hear about BML. I hear Ovando is open and ready for riders to come through.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2020 Preparation and Planning Reply #39 on: April 17, 2020, 12:14:31 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2020, 12:14:31 PM »

It is looking more and more likely 2020 will be a go, at least for itts, but david chirnside, of the fb tips and tricks page doesnt want you to know.  There has been a lot of discussion on the tour divide tips and tricks page about riding the divide in 2020.  It is looking more and more likely that people will be able to ride this summer, but david chirnside doesnt want you to know that.  I was banned for a second time from tour divide tips page.  The first time for asking bailey gene newbrey to clarify specifically what shops on the route didnt want us, after he claimed there were many and told some hapless dreamer to f off for thinking of riding.  Now im banned for posting an article saying trump wants to reopen some state economies before may 1.  This is a relevant post because some states on the route will be open soon. Unfortunately, the administrator on the tour divide page apparently has TDS and cant tolerate even the mention of trump.  This kind of viewpoint based discrimination makes david chirnside a liitle man.  Please keep in mind, if you look at the tour divide tips page on fb, it is censored and you will only learn what the administrator deems appropriate.

Sorry to hear of it and have heard from several others with the same experience from that group. I'm glad to have avoided a magnitude of drama having left it 3 years ago.
Looking forward to the dust settling and RD Matt Lee giving either a green light or whatever he deems best. He has a lot on his mind, I have no doubt. Hopefully he'll chime in here as I consider this forum the source of truth for his decisions.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: