Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #640 on: July 13, 2019, 08:34:03 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 13, 2019, 08:34:03 PM »

Congrats Bonnie! Lung damage, torn ligaments in her back and I don't know what else (but Grant does). Perseverance!
Thank you so much! It was a pleasure and honor to race.
My ailments are too many to list but each is overcome by the passion to live fully.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #641 on: July 14, 2019, 06:09:13 AM
Buccaneer

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 14, 2019, 06:09:13 AM »

#TD19 - Hal Russell called in with a finish call! Huge congrats on your 6th TD finish, Hal!

http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td19/

Wow! Congrats to all who lined up for the start, all the finishers and especially young Hal.
Respect.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #642 on: July 15, 2019, 09:05:48 AM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 15, 2019, 09:05:48 AM »

Thank you so much! It was a pleasure and honor to race.
My ailments are too many to list but each is overcome by the passion to live fully.
Smiley I know what you mean! I was out of time by the time I got to Brush Mountain else I'd have continued with you down the route! Welcome back to humidity here in Minnesota... and already I'm missing the Divide...

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #643 on: July 15, 2019, 03:49:11 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 15, 2019, 03:49:11 PM »

Smiley I know what you mean! I was out of time by the time I got to Brush Mountain else I'd have continued with you down the route! Welcome back to humidity here in Minnesota... and already I'm missing the Divide...
Another go, next year for you?

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #644 on: July 16, 2019, 03:44:23 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: July 16, 2019, 03:44:23 AM »

Congratulations Hal! Bloody legend! (Does this guy ever not smile?  glasses2)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #645 on: July 16, 2019, 01:19:43 PM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: July 16, 2019, 01:19:43 PM »

Another go, next year for you?
Its tempting!  ...

The scenery is wonderful but the trail angels on the way proved to be just as inspiring. A pair of motorcyclists insisted that I take a litre of water about 20 miles out of Wamsutter, just to make sure I was alright. Chuck Snodgrass and his wife in Island Park picked me up, gave me dinner and a nice room in their house with no expectation of anything- he said 'just so I can give back a bit' and dropped me off the next day early exactly where I'd left the route (Chuck had offered this to all racers on the FB page so I had his number on my phone). Right at the turn off of the pavement to Grant, MT was a box with power bars and Gatorade, marked 'Tour Divide'...  I had a bad shift cable in Wamsutter and a passerby gave me a small screwdriver that I needed to clear the frays out of the hardware on the Rolhoff... So many people that simply cheered as I passed by (especially other cyclists not on the route themselves). I found myself very moved by the things people do to be kind to strangers.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #646 on: July 16, 2019, 01:48:37 PM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 16, 2019, 01:48:37 PM »

"The scenery is wonderful but the trail angels on the way proved to be just as inspiring. A pair of motorcyclists insisted that I take a litre of water about 20 miles out of Wamsutter, just to make sure I was alright. Chuck Snodgrass and his wife in Island Park picked me up, gave me dinner and a nice room in their house with no expectation of anything- he said 'just so I can give back a bit' and dropped me off the next day early exactly where I'd left the route (Chuck had offered this to all racers on the FB page so I had his number on my phone). Right at the turn off of the pavement to Grant, MT was a box with power bars and Gatorade, marked 'Tour Divide'...  I had a bad shift cable in Wamsutter and a passerby gave me a small screwdriver that I needed to clear the frays out of the hardware on the Rolhoff... So many people that simply cheered as I passed by (especially other cyclists not on the route themselves). I found myself very moved by the things people do to be kind to strangers."

This is so true.  After decades of touring and bike packing I am still amazed at the kindness extended by strangers.  I try to give back by being a Warmshowers host.  I drive through Pie Town fairly often on my way to my off the grid place in New Mexico.  I always stop for pie and when I pay the bill I pay for a piece of pie and ice cream for the next cyclist who comes though.  It is just fun knowing you put a smile on some tired cyclist's face. 

I also stop and offer water to touring cyclists.  Living in the desert means planning around water and that often means just bringing enough to get by, often not enough.  When some stranger comes out of nowhere and hands you a gallon of water it is a total unplanned luxury, you can wantonly drink at will.  It is a little thing to the stranger but it is a big deal to the cyclist, something they remember for years.

We all at times complain that there isn't enough kindness in the world but all of us can correct that one little bit at a time.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #647 on: July 16, 2019, 02:11:03 PM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 16, 2019, 02:11:03 PM »

^^ +1 thanks for bringing tears  Smiley

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #648 on: July 16, 2019, 03:31:11 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 16, 2019, 03:31:11 PM »

Its tempting!  ...

The scenery is wonderful but the trail angels on the way proved to be just as inspiring. A pair of motorcyclists insisted that I take a litre of water about 20 miles out of Wamsutter, just to make sure I was alright. Chuck Snodgrass and his wife in Island Park picked me up, gave me dinner and a nice room in their house with no expectation of anything- he said 'just so I can give back a bit' and dropped me off the next day early exactly where I'd left the route (Chuck had offered this to all racers on the FB page so I had his number on my phone). Right at the turn off of the pavement to Grant, MT was a box with power bars and Gatorade, marked 'Tour Divide'...  I had a bad shift cable in Wamsutter and a passerby gave me a small screwdriver that I needed to clear the frays out of the hardware on the Rolhoff... So many people that simply cheered as I passed by (especially other cyclists not on the route themselves). I found myself very moved by the things people do to be kind to strangers.
Thank you for sharing - I couldn't agree more! From the amazing gift of generosity extended by complete strangers to the heartfelt concern expressed by those who find us beat down and tired, the goodness of the human spirit is displayed by the kindness of these Trail Angels. It renews our hope and lifts our spirit!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #649 on: July 16, 2019, 03:31:47 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 16, 2019, 03:31:47 PM »

"The scenery is wonderful but the trail angels on the way proved to be just as inspiring. A pair of motorcyclists insisted that I take a litre of water about 20 miles out of Wamsutter, just to make sure I was alright. Chuck Snodgrass and his wife in Island Park picked me up, gave me dinner and a nice room in their house with no expectation of anything- he said 'just so I can give back a bit' and dropped me off the next day early exactly where I'd left the route (Chuck had offered this to all racers on the FB page so I had his number on my phone). Right at the turn off of the pavement to Grant, MT was a box with power bars and Gatorade, marked 'Tour Divide'...  I had a bad shift cable in Wamsutter and a passerby gave me a small screwdriver that I needed to clear the frays out of the hardware on the Rolhoff... So many people that simply cheered as I passed by (especially other cyclists not on the route themselves). I found myself very moved by the things people do to be kind to strangers."

This is so true.  After decades of touring and bike packing I am still amazed at the kindness extended by strangers.  I try to give back by being a Warmshowers host.  I drive through Pie Town fairly often on my way to my off the grid place in New Mexico.  I always stop for pie and when I pay the bill I pay for a piece of pie and ice cream for the next cyclist who comes though.  It is just fun knowing you put a smile on some tired cyclist's face. 

I also stop and offer water to touring cyclists.  Living in the desert means planning around water and that often means just bringing enough to get by, often not enough.  When some stranger comes out of nowhere and hands you a gallon of water it is a total unplanned luxury, you can wantonly drink at will.  It is a little thing to the stranger but it is a big deal to the cyclist, something they remember for years.

We all at times complain that there isn't enough kindness in the world but all of us can correct that one little bit at a time.

Beautiful! Thanks for all that you do!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #650 on: July 28, 2019, 07:36:37 AM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 28, 2019, 07:36:37 AM »

Just looked at the map and noticed a couple of ITTers out there. Looked up Tom and saw his age. Awesome job Tom👍
http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide19i.php?name=Tom_Seipp

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #651 on: July 28, 2019, 07:46:05 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 28, 2019, 07:46:05 AM »

Just looked at the map and noticed a couple of ITTers out there. Looked up Tom and saw his age. Awesome job Tom👍
http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide19i.php?name=Tom_Seipp

Adventure of a lifetime at such a young age! So fantastic!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #652 on: July 29, 2019, 03:40:00 AM
davebarter

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 29, 2019, 03:40:00 AM »

I met Stirling and Oscar (14) just before Hartsel. They were heading north, anyone know how they got on?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #653 on: July 31, 2019, 03:29:14 PM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 31, 2019, 03:29:14 PM »

I met Stirling and Oscar (14) just before Hartsel. They were heading north, anyone know how they got on?

They made it up to the Canadian border at the Port of Del Bonita crossing. Seemed to be their plan. Didn't have a rest day in last 22 days since Salida. He is sterlingminick on Instagram if you want to check out some of his pics - they're good pics.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Race Discussion Reply #654 on: August 01, 2019, 01:16:49 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: August 01, 2019, 01:16:49 PM »

Does anyone know if Russ Kipp from the Montana High Country Lodge posted up the rest of his pics someplace?? He put about the first dozen riders here, but I know he was busy taking pics the 1/2 day I was at the lodge. I'll try reaching out to him directly too.

Also, I'm slowly getting all my daily ride recaps posted on the blog. It's current through Day 8...

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc
  Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: