Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #100 on: March 31, 2019, 12:43:35 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2019, 12:43:35 PM »

Got a blow of bad news; job has pulled my grand departure vacation time. I’m not taking it lightly and have looked at some alternate start dates. I need feedback to understand if the dates are viable and what additional risks/challenges they come with.

First alternate June 5th - June 28th
Second alternate Aug 8 - Sep 6th

What say the community?

No perfect start time for the TD - too early and you hit snow, even too slow riding the Grand Depart and you'll hit monsoon as well as hot weather in NM. Later than that, it starts to get cold up high and monsoon could still be a problem in NM. Hard to give a good forecast so far out, so whatever you choose, it's still a guess.

But, I would look at snow levels up in the high states and in Canada. If they're at average level or below, you could go a little earlier than the GD. Colorado is at a lot higher than average, but that shouldn't be too concerning.

I would also look at what the summer predictions are for NM. If it's going to be a hot summer, a later start/bad fire season may be a bad idea.

Another option is to start S->N, where a slightly earlier start time would not make a difference when it came to Monsoon (it would be an advantage!) or snow levels (same!). Plus, you'll bump into everyone going N -> S on the GD to wave hello to. 

June also has the advantage of having more daylight time.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #101 on: March 31, 2019, 01:00:06 PM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »

August will be the warmest it will be up north, and beautiful. Increased chance of northern forest fire smoke impacts. But a beautiful time to be on the trail.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #102 on: March 31, 2019, 09:15:24 PM
Jukka

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2019, 09:15:24 PM »

This was interesting to hear! August might be a viable time for me as well to tackle this.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #103 on: April 01, 2019, 05:20:39 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2019, 05:20:39 AM »

In 2012 Jay Petervary started August 27 and completed the course in a bit over 15 days.

http://trackleaders.com/tourdividei.php?name=Jay_Petervary

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #104 on: April 01, 2019, 09:52:07 AM
mymilkexpired

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2019, 09:52:07 AM »

Missing the Grand Depart, all you're missing is the great vibe of the community in and around the start. That said, the weather in early June, more often than not is terrible. I attempted 2014 and had snow/sleet/freezing rain for 4-5 days pretty much straight.

The August/September dates are really favorable for a good window. I THINK it was Jay Petervary who claims August, into September are optimum.

I am planning on a redemption ride August, 2021. I can choose when and I am choosing August/September.

I'm so far out due to terrible Hamstring Tendinopathy.

As I see it, your "bad news" is actually good news.

I appreciate the positive spin, you're right. Hope to get the approval today.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #105 on: April 01, 2019, 05:44:14 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2019, 05:44:14 PM »

On the start date discussion. Another member here (Dp) and I are training partners. We kiddingly call our August ITT start, the "Smart Depart"

It really makes a lot of sense. I believe there could be enough energy to even have two start dates, 2nd Friday in June and 3rd Friday in August.

In 2014, Riding (walking) Whitefish divide and Red Meadow were an all day deal. In dry conditions it would be a few hour ride. Richmond Peak had just been dumped on the day prior. It had 24 inches of fresh snow, another half day up on that. I wore down prematurely due to conditions I frankly wasn't prepared for.

Being underground, I want my best chance possible. If August is it, thats when I'll line-up. Heck, If I could find ol' Crazy Larry, I'll bet he'd even lead me out to the trailhead.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #106 on: April 01, 2019, 05:54:47 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2019, 05:54:47 PM »

I do think the risk of an early August start are: high temps, little surface water, and monsoons in NM.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #107 on: April 01, 2019, 06:09:28 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2019, 06:09:28 PM »

I do think the risk of an early August start are: high temps, little surface water, and monsoons in NM.

Agree. I think third Friday August gives; ***hope*** that by the time you get to Southern Colorado/NM, the Monsoons may just be past. Warm temps are not my concern. I ride/train in Phoenix and am very comfortable riding in warmer weather. Much more so than the snow/sleet and freezing rain I experienced in 2014. Surface water is a thought for sure. Our Monsoons in Arizona can be diminishing in Mid-September but heck, its the weather right?

As you and others have stated, there is no perfect start time. That said, I watch the GD every year and usually see the terrible Banff through Mid-Montana weather.

Also the S >>>>> N, GD start, as you say, offers a great window as well. Certainly miss the monsoons and likely little to no walking over the high passes
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 06:13:10 PM by Briansong » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #108 on: April 02, 2019, 07:36:39 AM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2019, 07:36:39 AM »

seeing that el nino seems to be firmly under control i would be worried about fires in the northern sections by mid july/ august.
we have had almost no snow/precip in the last 4 weeks, and a lot of sun. Snotels and snow pillows along the route are well below normal in bc and nw mt

you can never really tell about the rate the route will clear, it tends to depend on the late spring weather, eventually the long days and sun take their toll.

For me a few miles of snow beats a lot of miles of smoke or detours.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #109 on: April 02, 2019, 09:22:58 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2019, 09:22:58 AM »

The good news is that no matter what you choose, you're sure to have an adventure.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #110 on: April 02, 2019, 03:02:23 PM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2019, 03:02:23 PM »

Agree. I think third Friday August gives; ***hope*** that by the time you get to Southern Colorado/NM, the Monsoons may just be past. Warm temps are not my concern. I ride/train in Phoenix and am very comfortable riding in warmer weather. Much more so than the snow/sleet and freezing rain I experienced in 2014. Surface water is a thought for sure. Our Monsoons in Arizona can be diminishing in Mid-September but heck, its the weather right?

Colorado is on the same schedule as you I suspect. The monsoons peak in early September and the season typically ends mid September.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #111 on: April 02, 2019, 07:21:51 PM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2019, 07:21:51 PM »

On the start date discussion. Another member here (Dp) and I are training partners. We kiddingly call our August ITT start, the "Smart Depart"

It really makes a lot of sense. I believe there could be enough energy to even have two start dates, 2nd Friday in June and 3rd Friday in August.

In 2014, Riding (walking) Whitefish divide and Red Meadow were an all day deal. In dry conditions it would be a few hour ride. Richmond Peak had just been dumped on the day prior. It had 24 inches of fresh snow, another half day up on that. I wore down prematurely due to conditions I frankly wasn't prepared for.

Being underground, I want my best chance possible. If August is it, thats when I'll line-up. Heck, If I could find ol' Crazy Larry, I'll bet he'd even lead me out to the trailhead.

I'm down with that. The GD is cool, but the "group vibe" lasts until about mid-morning on day one. After that, for the most part, you are on your own. The only real advantage of the GD (besides the long days) is if you get into trouble along the way, odds are someone is going to find you. That, and there's a whole community of dot-stalkers watching the peloton stretch into a line as it snakes its way down the Rockies.

JayP posted years ago (after he set the ITT record back in... 2012?) that he favored the late August sobo start. If memory serves, it had to do with a) dry & warm up north, and b) dry & warm down south. No more snow, no more monsoons.

Sounds good to me.

At this point I just want to finish the darn thing.

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #112 on: April 03, 2019, 03:57:39 PM
Mojomondo

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2019, 03:57:39 PM »

Well said, Josh.
This is the keep moving forward section by anyway possible after 8 miles it’s back to gravel riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #113 on: April 21, 2019, 02:05:05 PM
craig65

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2019, 02:05:05 PM »

Thanks for posting, what a fantastic resource.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #114 on: May 02, 2019, 11:19:30 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2019, 11:19:30 AM »

Myself also arriving Calgary June 5!for ITT

Fantastic! Looks like I am ITT'ing June 1st.  Best to you!

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #115 on: May 04, 2019, 01:44:43 PM
Jaybee258

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2019, 01:44:43 PM »

I'm down with that. The GD is cool, but the "group vibe" lasts until about mid-morning on day one. After that, for the most part, you are on your own. The only real advantage of the GD (besides the long days) is if you get into trouble along the way, odds are someone is going to find you. That, and there's a whole community of dot-stalkers watching the peloton stretch into a line as it snakes its way down the Rockies.

JayP posted years ago (after he set the ITT record back in... 2012?) that he favored the late August sobo start. If memory serves, it had to do with a) dry & warm up north, and b) dry & warm down south. No more snow, no more monsoons.

Sounds good to me.

At this point I just want to finish the darn thing.

Hi Guys thanks for posting all this great info. I'm planning a mid August departure after my daughters wedding. That is the only time I can manage this year and it is great to hear that it is a sensible time to go. I'm from the UK, so bears are seriously on my mind. It is comforting to read that more people die from bee stings and dog bites than bear attacks.

Anybody know the best blog for the ride itself rather than the race? Thanks

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #116 on: May 07, 2019, 07:48:39 AM
Tigger

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2019, 07:48:39 AM »

Fantastic! Looks like I am ITT'ing June 1st.  Best to you!

Likewise, looking forward to dry conditions!  LOL

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #117 on: May 10, 2019, 10:07:20 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2019, 10:07:20 PM »

Likewise, looking forward to dry conditions!  LOL

Looks like snow melt is moving along.
Very happy to share that I am starting with the Grand Depart. Really looking forward to seeing everyone in Banff.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #118 on: May 20, 2019, 08:15:30 AM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2019, 08:15:30 AM »

This thing has been abnormally quiet for less than a month out!!! Looking forward to getting back out there. Hoping for good weather, fun trails, and high fives along the way!! Anyone up for some sightseeing/exploring pre GD? Im getting in tuesday evening, 11th. Would love to see a few things around town.

At the moment my bike frame is cracked......soooo im thinking of happier thoughts while not being able to ride. haha... Hopefully Giant comes through!

Good luck to everyone finalizing their plans and training. See you soon!

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #119 on: May 20, 2019, 07:00:13 PM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2019, 07:00:13 PM »

For any north bounders or south bound finishers going through Phoenix we have a guest house for cyclists.  We are Warm Showers hosts.  Usually we can do airport pick ups and a lift up the hill to Globe.  There are no fees for any of this, it is just my way of repaying for all the kindness I have received over the years.  Good luck to all.
  Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: