Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #80 on: March 01, 2019, 12:53:13 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2019, 12:53:13 PM »

I spent the last few months processing the official 2018 TD GPX file.  I have added locations along the route.  I am looking for missing places and suggestions.

Take a look at the following links.  Thanks in advance!

1. Google maps (locations along the route)
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1Sn1yug9CNa6xLDMYzCKW3y2jRjV_R4AI&ll=48.002455311653954%2C-109.8532749184497&z=6

2. Profile (with locations along the route)
    www.rowlo.com/Biking/GDMBR/Profile.aspx

3. PDF of locations along the route
    www.rowlo.com/Biking/GDMBR/MasterTD2019_v1.pdf

I will be riding from Butte, MT to Silverthorne, CO in July.  I am looking for a partner if anyone wants to go. 60-100 miles per day.

Thanks,
Jeff Rowland

That's a boat load of information. I'm helping assemble something similar for a trail building company.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #81 on: March 02, 2019, 11:28:50 AM
Jukka

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2019, 11:28:50 AM »

Probably a bit of noobie question, but let´s give it a go.

Handlebar choice. Would running a regular MTB riser bar be an act of stupidity? Are aerobars or just the ability to vary the grip essential? I know that it´ s a preference thing as well, but wanted to hear thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #82 on: March 02, 2019, 01:06:17 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »

Probably a bit of noobie question, but let´s give it a go.

Handlebar choice. Would running a regular MTB riser bar be an act of stupidity? Are aerobars or just the ability to vary the grip essential? I know that it´ s a preference thing as well, but wanted to hear thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

Always a relevant question. I prefer a flat bar. I finished with a drop bar in '16 but am switching to flat and attaching aero bars this year.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #83 on: March 02, 2019, 04:04:12 PM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2019, 04:04:12 PM »

Haven't raced it, but have ridden twice for a week each. El Mariachi mtb with flat bars. First year with my normal xc aggressive Niner carbon fork, low stack height, no aero bars. Worked OK, but felt too hunched over for the long days.

Second time was with carbon Firestarter fork with purposely tall/extra steerer tube. This allowed me to feel less hunched over and when I added the BarYak it made it work OK for semi aero. I liked being able to use the bar tops on each side of the stem. Sidenote: used bar-ends both times.

I've also used aero bars with the Firestarter fork setup and it worked great for gravel, but I couldn't use the hand position next to the stem.

In summary, I think your first bars would help feel less hunched over. BarYak or aero bars would work well if they can fit the bars. Additional hand positions are really nice after long days in the saddle, not sure the risers help with that.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #84 on: March 04, 2019, 05:44:38 AM
Adam Greenberg

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2019, 05:44:38 AM »

Would you say that the course with Koko in it is slower than it was before 2017? If so, how can you compare results from 2017 and after to the amazing result of Mike Hall in 2016?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #85 on: March 04, 2019, 10:27:59 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2019, 10:27:59 AM »

Would you say that the course with Koko in it is slower than it was before 2017? If so, how can you compare results from 2017 and after to the amazing result of Mike Hall in 2016?

Koko adds 4-5 hrs for the front runners, but also sets them up nicely for a resupply in Fernie at the end of day 1, incl hotel if they want.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #86 on: March 04, 2019, 08:33:42 PM
kato

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2019, 08:33:42 PM »

Yes, Koko route is slower than the previous.  Personally, I don’t think it is so much the actual time difference of the routes but the toll that the hike up Koko takes on the body and potnetial for achilles and knee issues.  I like Koko a lot but do miss comparing times over a comparible course.  However, that isn’t the end all be all of this race by any means.
How do we compare current runs to Mike’s record?  We don’t.  We know he was the most amazing rider to ever touch this course.

It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.

http://faroutwanderings.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #87 on: March 04, 2019, 09:43:38 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2019, 09:43:38 PM »

Yes, Koko route is slower than the previous.  Personally, I don’t think it is so much the actual time difference of the routes but the toll that the hike up Koko takes on the body and potnetial for achilles and knee issues.  I like Koko a lot but do miss comparing times over a comparible course.  However, that isn’t the end all be all of this race by any means.
How do we compare current runs to Mike’s record?  We don’t.  We know he was the most amazing rider to ever touch this course.

Well said, Josh.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #88 on: March 05, 2019, 02:55:43 PM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2019, 02:55:43 PM »

Jones bars are popular on the TDR as well. Going aero is nice- and the Jones allow you to do that if the bar is properly padded. But a more upright position is more comfortable, and comfort is a pretty big deal going long distances- less chance of Shermer's Neck and discomfort in your hands. Of course the bike setup is everything and if its a little off, the distances involved will exacerbate every little thing that can mess with your body! Plus its all inter-related; its not just saddle height, setback and angle that can affect your hands; your cleat position on your pedals can affect your hands too (hint: get your cleats further back). Its a really good idea to really have your fit dialed in!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #89 on: March 05, 2019, 03:32:52 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2019, 03:32:52 PM »

So, this all being said, shouldn't there be a new course record for the route as to include KoKo?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #90 on: March 06, 2019, 01:54:59 PM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2019, 01:54:59 PM »

Different route yes, but unless it adds significant mileage and/or elevation change then the record is what it is. It didn't seem to me, watching, that the times were much different across the board. So many factors go into "racing"... weather and the like, hard to compare year to year anyways.

That being said, a buddy sent me a post saying that the bridge between Elkford and Sparwood was fixed. Maybe no KoKo? I was sorta looking forward to a different route from 2014.

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #91 on: March 06, 2019, 02:09:51 PM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2019, 02:09:51 PM »

Yes, the Pollock creek bridge is fixed, but word is Matt likes KoKo so its expected to still be on the TDR.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #92 on: March 06, 2019, 02:48:29 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2019, 02:48:29 PM »

Different route yes, but unless it adds significant mileage and/or elevation change then the record is what it is. It didn't seem to me, watching, that the times were much different across the board. So many factors go into "racing"... weather and the like, hard to compare year to year anyways.

That being said, a buddy sent me a post saying that the bridge between Elkford and Sparwood was fixed. Maybe no KoKo? I was sorta looking forward to a different route from 2014.

Race Director Matthew Lee replied on the previous page here confirming Koko is in for this year.
It'll be amazing!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #93 on: March 07, 2019, 10:57:40 AM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2019, 10:57:40 AM »

Bon, it helps to read all the threads. haha. I  must have missed that yesterday skimming through. Schweeet!!

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #94 on: March 07, 2019, 11:02:20 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2019, 11:02:20 AM »

Bon, it helps to read all the threads. haha. I  must have missed that yesterday skimming through. Schweeet!!

Easy to miss stuff! Smiley Can't wait to see if there are any reroutes or new sections this year!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #95 on: March 14, 2019, 05:53:00 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2019, 05:53:00 PM »

Not having done Koko, and only having seen a few limited pictures, I can firmly state that I am looking forward to riding the Crossing Creek Trail this June. And I know I like Fernie.

"riding" the Crossing Creek trail?  Best of luck!

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #96 on: March 14, 2019, 05:57:15 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2019, 05:57:15 PM »

Over 2800 miles the course is never the same year to year and some sections when muddy can add significant hours, fatigue, and mechanicals. You get what you get.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #97 on: March 14, 2019, 07:08:44 PM
dskunk

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2019, 07:08:44 PM »

"riding" the Crossing Creek trail?  Best of luck!
Ha! Fair enough. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Cheers, Dave Stowe

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #98 on: March 31, 2019, 08:20:48 AM
mymilkexpired

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2019, 08:20:48 AM »

Got a blow of bad news; job has pulled my grand departure vacation time. I’m not taking it lightly and have looked at some alternate start dates. I need feedback to understand if the dates are viable and what additional risks/challenges they come with.

First alternate June 5th - June 28th
Second alternate Aug 8 - Sep 6th

What say the community?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #99 on: March 31, 2019, 12:09:48 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2019, 12:09:48 PM »

Got a blow of bad news; job has pulled my grand departure vacation time. I’m not taking it lightly and have looked at some alternate start dates. I need feedback to understand if the dates are viable and what additional risks/challenges they come with.

First alternate June 5th - June 28th
Second alternate Aug 8 - Sep 6th

What say the community?

Missing the Grand Depart, all you're missing is the great vibe of the community in and around the start. That said, the weather in early June, more often than not is terrible. I attempted 2014 and had snow/sleet/freezing rain for 4-5 days pretty much straight.

The August/September dates are really favorable for a good window. I THINK it was Jay Petervary who claims August, into September are optimum.

I am planning on a redemption ride August, 2021. I can choose when and I am choosing August/September.

I'm so far out due to terrible Hamstring Tendinopathy.

As I see it, your "bad news" is actually good news.
  Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: