Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #60 on: January 28, 2019, 02:29:11 PM
Surlysinglespeeder

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2019, 02:29:11 PM »

Second the specialized power. I’ve had a season on one, actually two(I have one on two bikes.). Anywho, a great saddle.  This is my first attempt at the divide and each day I bubble with stoke. Rollin singlespeed, 36:18, 36:17 now, but southeast Michigan is a bit dry in da hill department. Anywho, so amped to ride with all of you, ride safe and train proper! 
 Hey guys, do people carry water filters? I know there is many options for resupply, just wondering what peoples experience has been in the past with the hydration program.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #61 on: January 28, 2019, 02:44:46 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2019, 02:44:46 PM »

Second the specialized power. I’ve had a season on one, actually two(I have one on two bikes.). Anywho, a great saddle.  This is my first attempt at the divide and each day I bubble with stoke. Rollin singlespeed, 36:18, 36:17 now, but southeast Michigan is a bit dry in da hill department. Anywho, so amped to ride with all of you, ride safe and train proper! 
 Hey guys, do people carry water filters? I know there is many options for resupply, just wondering what peoples experience has been in the pa
st with the hydration program.
All of you SS'ers amaze me!
I brought iodine tablets the last two times but am bringing a Sawyer this time as the iodine taste gets to me after awhile.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #62 on: January 28, 2019, 03:04:37 PM
xlewisx

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2019, 03:04:37 PM »

Hey guys, do people carry water filters? I know there is many options for resupply, just wondering what peoples experience has been in the past with the hydration program.

I actually carried both tabs and a Katadyn BeFree filter. Tabs are so light and and quick and easy to use, that’s what I did 98% of the time. But the filter is great for situations where you’re filtering mirky water. Additionally if you’ve run out of water and finally find a source, the filter allows you to drink at the source rather than have to wait a further 30 mins before you can drink, and means a can “camel” a decent amount while at the source too.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #63 on: January 28, 2019, 09:39:19 PM
Surlysinglespeeder

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2019, 09:39:19 PM »

Thanks for the super prompt response. Guys, this’ll be my first extended trip in almost ten years, so amped.  I can’t believe that we get to ride our bikes all day for a proper bit! So stoked headbang

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #64 on: January 29, 2019, 04:36:24 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2019, 04:36:24 AM »

Thanks for the super prompt response. Guys, this’ll be my first extended trip in almost ten years, so amped.  I can’t believe that we get to ride our bikes all day for a proper bit! So stoked headbang

Great attitude! That's exactly how I feel! See you soon!

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #65 on: February 17, 2019, 01:07:26 AM
Adam Greenberg

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2019, 01:07:26 AM »

What tire pressure would you recommend for a rider weighing 61-62 kg (134-136 pounds) riding a hardtail, rigid fork, 2.9X2.2 tires and and light kit on tour divide?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #66 on: February 20, 2019, 09:57:30 AM
Surlysinglespeeder

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2019, 09:57:30 AM »

Tire pressure is super dependent on a number of variables. I’d start at 27 n go down, sneak a lil out, ride, n repeat till they’re poifect. Being a lighter body, you can really explore the low end of tire pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #67 on: February 20, 2019, 10:01:25 AM
Surlysinglespeeder

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2019, 10:01:25 AM »

So I have my dynamo wheel built up, need a proper light. I’ve heard a few sorta enh things bout the sine wave beaconrecently, but was planning on goin with one prior. Any experience with this light out there?! Seems awesome?! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #68 on: February 20, 2019, 12:55:06 PM
tlane3of6

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2019, 12:55:06 PM »

Check out the Serfa lights.  They are only brand I found that allow charging while the light is on.  I use the sine wave USB converter to keep the light topped up or charge my cell phone.  I think the Sinewave Beacon light’s battery is relatively short lived which could be an issue for a long hike-a-Bike.   Let me know if this isn’t true.
Tom

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #69 on: February 23, 2019, 10:56:09 AM
Surlysinglespeeder

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2019, 10:56:09 AM »

Hey guys, i hope everyone is havin a blast preppin for this beastly beauty.  SO lookin at paring down ze kit, any experience with bringing a puffy vest opposed to a puffy jacket?  also, thoughts on a dynamo light?  it seems that with the ability to charge from my dynamo, i can charge lights i already have, and that will work better on slower efforts where the dynamos do not seem to shine Wink. Also, bugs... Rollin with a Six Moons Design Deschutes tarp, found the sea to summit nano bug system which seems proper, affordable, only 3 ish ounces.  is it worth it, maybe just a head net?! I am pretty tolerant of pesty winged creatures, and i sleep like i am dead, so...not sure.  ANywho, happiness and health guys, amped ta roll the spine with yahs!!!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #70 on: February 25, 2019, 09:05:23 AM
dskunk

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2019, 09:05:23 AM »

, any experience with bringing a puffy vest opposed to a puffy jacket?
I used a vest very briefly in the spring before TD, I switched pretty quickly to a jacket. The small weight penalty was more than offset by the added warmth of sleeves and a hood. The Divide has the potential to be way colder than you would have thought ( well, it was way colder than I thought it would be ). I am interested in how you end up running your lights. I've been happy with a dyno light, and keeping things as simple as I can figure. Still room to work on that for me though.

Cheers, Dave Stowe

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #71 on: February 25, 2019, 09:22:55 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2019, 09:22:55 AM »

Hey guys, i hope everyone is havin a blast preppin for this beastly beauty.  SO lookin at paring down ze kit, any experience with bringing a puffy vest opposed to a puffy jacket?  also, thoughts on a dynamo light?  it seems that with the ability to charge from my dynamo, i can charge lights i already have, and that will work better on slower efforts where the dynamos do not seem to shine Wink. Also, bugs... Rollin with a Six Moons Design Deschutes tarp, found the sea to summit nano bug system which seems proper, affordable, only 3 ish ounces.  is it worth it, maybe just a head net?! I am pretty tolerant of pesty winged creatures, and i sleep like i am dead, so...not sure.  ANywho, happiness and health guys, amped ta roll the spine with yahs!!!

Love my dynamo! A few friends who used bivys were glad they had mosquitoe nets.
I'm going full puffy again this year.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #72 on: February 25, 2019, 11:24:11 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2019, 11:24:11 AM »

any experience with bringing a puffy vest opposed to a puffy jacket?  also, thoughts on a dynamo light?  it seems that with the ability to charge from my dynamo, i can charge lights i already have, and that will work better on slower efforts where the dynamos do not seem to shine Wink. Also, bugs... Rollin with a Six Moons Design Deschutes tarp, found the sea to summit nano bug system which seems proper, affordable, only 3 ish ounces.  is it worth it, maybe just a head net?!

Synthetic puffy with hood for me is great - can ride in it, sleep in it ... and did both frequently, even in mornings through NM. Lightweight vests are great backup (I take them splitboarding) but on TD you're likely going to need a full puffy. Note: Lael  rode in '15 with just a REI puffy vest, so it can be done ... but she was putting out some strong power the whole way so generating body heat.

Dynamo lights -

a. best is to get a purpose built dynamo light to run directly off your hub (klite / Sinewave beacon / Exposure Revo etc). Dynamos generate AC power and dynamo specific lights run VERY efficiently off AC power. If you're charging a Li battery light, then the AC is converted to DC (e.g. Sinewave Revolution) .. with a loss of efficiency ... and then often the charging is via a cache battery .... with a second loss of power (30% loss of power there at best).

b. at low speeds, you need less light, so the system basically self regulates so you have the light you need.

c. take a helmet light also, so if you need to get around a low speed obstacle in the dark you're covered (e.g. avalanche debris on Koko Claims at midnight).

Bugs - in '16 they were never so consistent that you couldn't ride out of them within 30mins. (In '16 I didn't camp at Upper Red Rock Lake due to swarms of mozzies, but 15-30mins later it was clear).

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #73 on: February 27, 2019, 06:53:37 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2019, 06:53:37 AM »

I know a lot of us left on here don't do Facebook, so....

Mack McCoy posted the following in the TD group in FB:  "We at Adventure Cycling Association have received word that the GDMBR into Flathead Valley (between Flathead Pass and Cabin Pass in British Columbia) is accessible again over the Pollock Creek bridge, which has been replaced. See photographic evidence below."  (not sure how to link)

As expected lots of conversation on if Koko will still be in play or if Matt will route back thru the Flathead.  Group seems to be split about 50/50 in the comments.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #74 on: February 27, 2019, 07:03:47 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2019, 07:03:47 AM »

Mack McCoy posted the following in the TD group in FB:  "We at Adventure Cycling Association have received word that the GDMBR into Flathead Valley (between Flathead Pass and Cabin Pass in British Columbia) is accessible again over the Pollock Creek bridge, which has been replaced. See photographic evidence below."  (not sure how to link)

As expected lots of conversation on if Koko will still be in play or if Matt will route back thru the Flathead.  Group seems to be split about 50/50 in the comments.

Thank you for sharing here. I look forward to feedback from RD Matthew Lee.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #75 on: February 27, 2019, 07:55:58 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2019, 07:55:58 AM »

Tour Divide will continue to use Crossing Creek Trail, aka Koko Claims, in trade for the 50mi of pavement the ACA GDMBR travels through Sparwood, meth capital of BC. Yes, Koko is more challenging, and doesn't support Bob trailers, but other dividends are there. It makes sense to support the town of Fernie, too, and all they do / have done for Divide racers through the years.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #76 on: February 27, 2019, 08:49:55 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2019, 08:49:55 AM »

Tour Divide will continue to use Crossing Creek Trail, aka Koko Claims, in trade for the 50mi of pavement the ACA GDMBR travels through Sparwood, meth capital of BC. Yes, Koko is more challenging, and doesn't support Bob trailers, but other dividends are there. It makes sense to support the town of Fernie, too, and all they do / have done for Divide racers through the years.
Looking forward to this beautiful section again. Love Fernie's great support of TD riders.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #77 on: February 27, 2019, 01:19:18 PM
dskunk

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2019, 01:19:18 PM »

Not having done Koko, and only having seen a few limited pictures, I can firmly state that I am looking forward to riding the Crossing Creek Trail this June. And I know I like Fernie.

Cheers, Dave Stowe

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #78 on: March 01, 2019, 03:35:26 AM
rowlandje

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2019, 03:35:26 AM »

I spent the last few months processing the official 2018 TD GPX file.  I have added locations along the route.  I am looking for missing places and suggestions.

Take a look at the following links.  Thanks in advance!

1. Google maps (locations along the route)
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1Sn1yug9CNa6xLDMYzCKW3y2jRjV_R4AI&ll=48.002455311653954%2C-109.8532749184497&z=6

2. Profile (with locations along the route)
    www.rowlo.com/Biking/GDMBR/Profile.aspx

3. PDF of locations along the route
    www.rowlo.com/Biking/GDMBR/MasterTD2019_v1.pdf

I will be riding from Butte, MT to Silverthorne, CO in July.  I am looking for a partner if anyone wants to go. 60-100 miles per day.

Thanks,
Jeff Rowland
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:55:49 AM by rowlandje » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #79 on: March 01, 2019, 12:45:00 PM
cobbnat

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2019, 12:45:00 PM »

I just wanted to add my two-bits worth of saddle advice: I like Ergon saddles, but even more important than the saddle is a good suspension seatpost, especially when your legs are too tired to stand for every bump. The Cirrus carbon kinekt is pricey but really works and is light.
  Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: