Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #120 on: May 20, 2019, 08:33:44 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2019, 08:33:44 PM »

This thing has been abnormally quiet for less than a month out!!! Looking forward to getting back out there. Hoping for good weather, fun trails, and high fives along the way!! Anyone up for some sightseeing/exploring pre GD? Im getting in tuesday evening, 11th. Would love to see a few things around town.

At the moment my bike frame is cracked......soooo im thinking of happier thoughts while not being able to ride. haha... Hopefully Giant comes through!

Good luck to everyone finalizing their plans and training. See you soon!
Sorry to hear about your frame! I hope Giant comes through. Do you have a backup plan?
Make sure you walk up and see the falls, across the river from the castle. Stunning!
I'll see you at the start!

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #121 on: May 20, 2019, 08:36:43 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2019, 08:36:43 PM »

For any north bounders or south bound finishers going through Phoenix we have a guest house for cyclists.  We are Warm Showers hosts.  Usually we can do airport pick ups and a lift up the hill to Globe.  There are no fees for any of this, it is just my way of repaying for all the kindness I have received over the years.  Good luck to all.
Super kind of you!! Thank you!

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #122 on: May 23, 2019, 08:15:37 AM
Southwest Trailhead Hand/Hachita Bike Ranch

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2019, 08:15:37 AM »

I will be here again this year.  Quick note:  There is water at the Separ store on the west end of the building.  (interstate 10).     
                                                             There is water at the Hachita Community Center out front,  west side of building.
                                                             Take extra food and water when you leave Pie-Town,  Many have told me they ran out.

Cheers~!

* SouthWest Trailhead Hand.pdf (137.78 KB - downloaded 133 times.)

Jeffery Sharp

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #123 on: May 23, 2019, 08:19:47 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2019, 08:19:47 AM »

I will be here again this year.  Quick note:  There is water at the Separ store on the west end of the building.  (interstate 10).     
                                                             There is water at the Hachita Community Center out front,  west side of building.
                                                             Take extra food and water when you leave Pie-Town,  Many have told me they ran out.

Cheers~!

Thank you!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #124 on: May 23, 2019, 11:28:01 AM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2019, 11:28:01 AM »

I am going from memory here from riding that portion of the GDMBR last year.  West of Pie Town on HWY 60 about a mile is the Top Of The World C store.  That is the last chance for food until you get through the Gila.  A few miles south of Pie Town there is an animal rescue place that had a cooler of water out for TD riders.  Further on there is a well that riders are welcome to use, it is on the right side.  Then there is nothing until you get to the highway that borders the Plains of San Augustine.  There is a church there and riders are welcome to fill up from the hose bib.  Don't be intimidated if there is a lot of shooting going on at the church, they have after church services shooting matches.  They are nice people and they are sure to give you some reading material for the rest of your ride.  Once in the plains there are a couple of ranchers that had coolers out with water, one even had candy bars etc for TD riders.  Then there is nothing until the work camp.  After the work camp there is a lake and a couple of stream crossings that may have water.  Silver City has everything you could want.  After Silver City there are no supplies until Separ.  However a couple of miles after you turn off the highway from Silver there is a well and cattle tank on the left.  It is set up so you can catch the water right as it pumps from the well so no need to filter.  The people of Hachita are wonderful.  The community center is available for cyclists to sleep in.  There is a small store that is much like what you would find in Baja.  They carry enough to get by with and ice cream.  It isn't like a C store that is open at all hours so plan accordingly.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #125 on: May 23, 2019, 05:15:47 PM
MI_pdlr

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2019, 05:15:47 PM »

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/site/warranty-return/terrapin-recall/

So everybody can run and check their bags like I did.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #126 on: May 23, 2019, 05:25:22 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2019, 05:25:22 PM »

I am going from memory here from riding that portion of the GDMBR last year.  West of Pie Town on HWY 60 about a mile is the Top Of The World C store.  That is the last chance for food until you get through the Gila.  A few miles south of Pie Town there is an animal rescue place that had a cooler of water out for TD riders.  Further on there is a well that riders are welcome to use, it is on the right side.  Then there is nothing until you get to the highway that borders the Plains of San Augustine.  There is a church there and riders are welcome to fill up from the hose bib.  Don't be intimidated if there is a lot of shooting going on at the church, they have after church services shooting matches.  They are nice people and they are sure to give you some reading material for the rest of your ride.  Once in the plains there are a couple of ranchers that had coolers out with water, one even had candy bars etc for TD riders.  Then there is nothing until the work camp.  After the work camp there is a lake and a couple of stream crossings that may have water.  Silver City has everything you could want.  After Silver City there are no supplies until Separ.  However a couple of miles after you turn off the highway from Silver there is a well and cattle tank on the left.  It is set up so you can catch the water right as it pumps from the well so no need to filter.  The people of Hachita are wonderful.  The community center is available for cyclists to sleep in.  There is a small store that is much like what you would find in Baja.  They carry enough to get by with and ice cream.  It isn't like a C store that is open at all hours so plan accordingly.
Great info!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #127 on: May 23, 2019, 05:26:26 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2019, 05:26:26 PM »

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/site/warranty-return/terrapin-recall/

So everybody can run and check their bags like I did.
No doubt! Ha! Thankfully mine was ordered after they discovered the issue.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #128 on: May 29, 2019, 07:54:59 AM
TugMariner

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2019, 07:54:59 AM »

Anyone have any info on when the .gpx will be posted in Topofusion?  Thx

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #129 on: May 29, 2019, 10:08:48 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2019, 10:08:48 AM »

Anyone have any info on when the .gpx will be posted in Topofusion?  Thx

Usually the week prior, they wait to the last minute as re-routes due to various reasons are usually considered and checked.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #130 on: May 29, 2019, 10:23:45 AM
TugMariner

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2019, 10:23:45 AM »

Thx!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #131 on: May 30, 2019, 10:13:25 AM
Lincfish20

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2019, 10:13:25 AM »

Hi all!

Avid follower of the TD (with one failed attempt under my belt Smiley) here with a friendly request. I am a grade 6/7 social studies teacher in New Brunswick, Canada. I currently teach at an inter-city school where the students have very little opportunity/exposure to outdoor adventure. I feel many of these students would be very interested in following an event such as the TD via Trackleaders, and noting the changes in climate, geography, etc, of each region in which the racers ride through. In addition to simply following the race itself, I was hoping to recruit a few TD participants who would be willing to send us some occasional updates on how their Tour is going along the way. We could accomplish this through email perhaps? I feel that putting a personality to the "Dot" would go long way with keeping the kids engaged.

If anybody participating in this year's Tour Divide thinks they may be interested in this, please drop me an email at nkporter20@gmail.com and we can discuss further. I totally understand that time and service are in limited quantities out on the Divide so I certainly would not expect regular updates. Even a weekly check in would be fantastic and I know the kids would love it!

Thanks a lot everyone!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #132 on: June 01, 2019, 10:55:13 PM
Kiwi Pete

aka: Kiwi Pete's Adventures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2019, 10:55:13 PM »

Looking forward to following TD 2019
As it's the start of winter downunder.
All the Best to all that are starting this year
 thumbsup

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #133 on: June 01, 2019, 11:28:48 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2019, 11:28:48 PM »

Looking forward to following TD 2019
As it's the start of winter downunder.
All the Best to all that are starting this year
 thumbsup

Thank you! Looking forward to seeing so many friends!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #134 on: June 03, 2019, 02:11:48 PM
Pirahna

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2019, 02:11:48 PM »

I am going from memory here from riding that portion of the GDMBR last year.  West of Pie Town on HWY 60 about a mile is the Top Of The World C store.  That is the last chance for food until you get through the Gila.  A few miles south of Pie Town there is an animal rescue place that had a cooler of water out for TD riders.  Further on there is a well that riders are welcome to use, it is on the right side.  Then there is nothing until you get to the highway that borders the Plains of San Augustine. 

Leaving Pie Town the first water I remember is the small lakes by the ruined church. After that is's up the hill to the campground where there's cattle troughs if you're really, really desperate. Then it's down the hill where there's a river at the bottom. After that it's out to the highway, when you turn left onto the dirt there are some houses, one of them puts water out.

I can't remember after that, I was riding into a headwind and was contemplating suicide. A man in a truck towing a trailer stopped and gave me a cold Coke and pockets full of treats. I think I filled up with water again at the fire training camp and then again out on the highway before Silver City. I passed a campground somewhere in between these places, just before you start the long climbs, fairly sure there was water there, maybe a river but I could be wrong on this one.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #135 on: June 03, 2019, 02:14:35 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2019, 02:14:35 PM »

Leaving Pie Town the first water I remember is the small lakes by the ruined church. After that is's up the hill to the campground where there's cattle troughs if you're really, really desperate. Then it's down the hill where there's a river at the bottom. After that it's out to the highway, when you turn left onto the dirt there are some houses, one of them puts water out.

I can't remember after that, I was riding into a headwind and was contemplating suicide. A man in a truck towing a trailer stopped and gave me a cold Coke and pockets full of treats. I think I filled up with water again at the fire training camp and then again out on the highway before Silver City. I passed a campground somewhere in between these places, just before you start the long climbs, fairly sure there was water there, maybe a river but I could be wrong on this one.
Is it bad that I laughed out loud at "...contemplating suicide." ??
Great info. Thanks for sharing!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #136 on: June 04, 2019, 03:06:00 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2019, 03:06:00 AM »

I passed a campground somewhere in between these places, just before you start the long climbs, fairly sure there was water there, maybe a river but I could be wrong on this one.

There's no water at Sapillo Campground - wish there was though.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #137 on: June 05, 2019, 05:53:10 PM
elobeck

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2019, 05:53:10 PM »

Where exactly does most of the pre race banter happen these days? Does not appear to be here....

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #138 on: June 05, 2019, 06:14:53 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2019, 06:14:53 PM »

Where exactly does most of the pre race banter happen these days? Does not appear to be here....

Seems to all be on FaceBook. It sux though as there seems to be no chronological order to it so it is hard to find anything.
Going back over previous year's prep threads is a great way to glean information as most of it is still relevant. About the only advantage to FB might be snow updates as that is where people can post photos/info easily and quickly. You have to find them of course.....

Anyway, good luck to everyone racing this year. Wishing I was going to be out there again...but sort of not.  Wink It WILL be a life changing experience, especially if you manage to finish.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2019 Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #139 on: June 05, 2019, 06:28:38 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 05, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »

Seems to all be on FaceBook. It sux though as there seems to be no chronological order to it so it is hard to find anything.
Going back over previous year's prep threads is a great way to glean information as most of it is still relevant. About the only advantage to FB might be snow updates as that is where people can post photos/info easily and quickly. You have to find them of course.....

Anyway, good luck to everyone racing this year. Wishing I was going to be out there again...but sort of not.  Wink It WILL be a life changing experience, especially if you manage to finish.
I'm happy to find info here. Love the older threads too.
The snow will be a contender this year, it seems. Can't wait to find out first hand. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: