Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 12:50:07 PM
Kolson

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 12:50:07 PM »

Hey stumpy and cranky....you want a good gravel bike. I just bought mine. A Salsa Cutthroat. I just put Lauf forks on it and am getting all my bags together. Get it through a bike shop out of Boise ID and they will outfit you with what you need. If you do that you want to get it soon. You need to work it in and learn how to handle it. I love mine. Look up the Salsa brand. They are out of Minneapolis MN. Look at the Fargo and the Cutthroat. The Cutthroat was made for the TD. It’s RS mechanism through the frame, components and set up of body just make it the perfect bike. I did quite a lot of research to come to the decision I did. I feel confident you’ll be happy. Then look into the Lauf trail fork. It will be what you need to get through the washboard roads well have.  headbang

I just finished my 4hour gravel ride for the day and gonna get down on some turkey and all the goods. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 09:20:13 AM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 09:20:13 AM »

Expect a bit of crank creak with the Cutthroat. Its not there right away, but it shows up. Its not the crank apparently. The stock gearing might be a bit tall if you get the 1:11 drive- stock is a 36 in front. I went to a 32, but on the ride I noticed racers passing me on hills had lower gears than I had. I went to a 28 when I got the Helena (which was a bit depressing since I lost the high gear...) but it was too late for my knees at that point.

I'd bring a few brake pad spares too- mine were shot by the time I got the Helena. With larger disks (the Cutthroat pretty much has a braking system for a road bike) the brake pads would run cooler.

I had been working on a Jones Plus (29+ tires) but it was not ready by the time of the Grand Depart. It is now- Rohloff hub, 203mm disk brakes. Seems to handle gravel and single track better but it is a heavier machine being made of steel. Its more fun to ride IMO; really looking forward to my next bikepacking trip.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 10:10:30 AM
dskunk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »

I've got my bike under control ( True North custom steel, just a mountain bike but it works ). It's everything else that I spend time thinking what ifs about. As in "what if I change to a bivy instead of my tent".
What if I use gore-tex socks instead of booties? What if I get rid of the frame bag and just go with bottle cages?
Bah! It's all good, never perfect!
Cheers, Dave

Cheers, Dave Stowe

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 06:45:52 PM
Kolson

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »

So all the bike info is good for someone needing a bike. They better get it quick and ride on it. Ride on it a ton. Practicing on other bikes is nothing like riding the one your gonna be married to for 15-18 hours possibly a day. Joined at the hip.

I have a question regarding the the GP3 tracking device we’ll carry. Do we need to purchase one or do we get to rent one. Now there on 1/2 price for $75 at REI.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 07:36:23 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 07:36:23 PM »

So all the bike info is good for someone needing a bike. They better get it quick and ride on it. Ride on it a ton. Practicing on other bikes is nothing like riding the one your gonna be married to for 15-18 hours possibly a day. Joined at the hip.

I have a question regarding the the GP3 tracking device we’ll carry. Do we need to purchase one or do we get to rent one. Now there on 1/2 price for $75 at REI.

Spot units are usually available to rent and are handed out in Banff.  Details will be coming closer to race time.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 12:36:05 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »

Is June 8th the 2018 start date? I think it has always been the second Friday in June. Can anyone confirm? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 03:51:40 PM
Kolson

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 03:51:40 PM »

Yes the start date is the second Friday of the month. June 8th. You want to get there a couple days prior so you don’t have to rush things. I just reserved my hotel/ hostel yesterday. Costs for a hotel room are through the roof. I got 3nights for $144.00 right outside of town. 1mile down the road on Hidden Ridege way.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 07:40:42 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 07:40:42 AM »

Yes the start date is the second Friday of the month. June 8th. You want to get there a couple days prior so you don’t have to rush things. I just reserved my hotel/ hostel yesterday. Costs for a hotel room are through the roof. I got 3nights for $144.00 right outside of town. 1mile down the road on Hidden Ridege way.
Thanks for confirming that. I'm trying to figure out how to get to the start myself. Are you flying in? Driving?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #28 on: December 04, 2017, 06:30:35 PM
Kolson

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2017, 06:30:35 PM »

I am flying in on Tuesday afternoon. I’ll get a shuttle into Bannf and will stay at a hostel. Then I have some time. Bike shop and check out the town. Maybe even ride down to the start and Canmore for a day.

When are you heading in. I tell you the hostel is the way to go since it is such an expensive stay in Bannf.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 07:06:04 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 07:06:04 AM »

I am flying in on Tuesday afternoon. I’ll get a shuttle into Bannf and will stay at a hostel. Then I have some time. Bike shop and check out the town. Maybe even ride down to the start and Canmore for a day.

When are you heading in. I tell you the hostel is the way to go since it is such an expensive stay in Bannf.

Thanks for the info, no idea as to travel details yet. I'll check out the hostel

Can anyone offer some tips on boxing up a bike for a flight? I've never had to do so before. Is there a particular box that works well?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 07:10:38 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 07:10:38 AM »

Thanks for the info, no idea as to travel details yet. I'll check out the hostel

Can anyone offer some tips on boxing up a bike for a flight? I've never had to do so before. Is there a particular box that works well?

Get a bike box from your LBS - they should be glad to get rid of one.  They should also have the plastic protectors that go over the ends of the hubs.  Other than that, turn the handlebars, remove the pedals, remove the seat/seatpost, take off at least the front wheel and be SURE to zip tie everything to the frame in case the box is torn open in transit.  DO NOT seal the box as TSA will need to inspect it - they will tape it shut after.

EDIT:  Also, sufficient padding between parts as airline baggage handlers are not known for gentleness.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:14:49 AM by BobM » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 08:14:49 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »

I got a fat bike box from LBS, that held bike plus all gear in the bags. Bought propane upon landing (was touring), can't remember the rules on CO2 . Remember that it has to be under 50lbs, so I also had a throw away carry on bag with a few extra items.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 03:29:57 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 03:29:57 PM »

Also suggest removing disk rotors, and putting a spacer between the brake pads themselves (especially hydros). Doesn't hurt to bring a few extra bits of hardware you can toss/donate/mail back in case you lose something. Don't check in your helmet (obv.) and bring copies of your passport, etc. May want to look into insurance, depending on your bike, if things to hit the fan. If a destroyed bike cancels your plans, at least you can get compensated. Part of travel insurance - I use Roam Right myself. It's really cheap for a little piece of mind.

You may want to bring a pair of town clothes you don't mind sending back/tossing just to be comfortable before you go and keep your riding stuff just a little more cleaner before starting.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 03:33:30 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 03:33:30 PM »

and whatever you do, do not send your bike ahead.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 04:13:23 PM
Kolson

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 04:13:23 PM »

Yes pack the bike in a bike box. Our bike shops here in AZ cannot give them away. No one wants them. I use bubble rap and pipe Insolation on with zip ties. Pack a tool and donate to the cause. I’ll give mine to the maintance people at the hostel I’m staying at. I like the hint of Do Not send it ahead of you. Chances are it won’t be there when you get there. Put it on with you when you board the plane and get it and secure it on the shuttle with you as you go to Bannf. I’ll know it’s with me.

Take a popsicle stick and break it in half. And this can be what secures the spacing in between the disc braking mechanism so they will not compress. I hear there’s a good bike shop in Bannf so I’ll go to them the next day We’d and get my bike a once over.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:19:35 PM by Kolson » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 04:57:20 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 04:57:20 PM »

Awesome advice, and very helpful - I'd welcome any more. Popsicle stick for the calipers - clever. 'Town clothes' - good call, I have been envisioning myself at DIA in my bike kit.

Gotta say flying to the start makes this a significantly bigger challenge than say, getting dropped of at Waterton...but so does 2,750 miles.

I get the impression that finally pedaling away from Banff might actually be a big relief!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 03:34:00 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »

This goes without saying, as you're all fine gentle-people, but it bears a reminder: treat your bike shop peeps with respect (goes for all shop employees, locals, etc). Riding/Racing the route is a privilege, so be courteous, even if you're in a rush. They know what's going on (they can follow your blue dot online, too!), and they'll do their best to help y'all out. It's really cool when they go that extra distance - example: give you a stand to self-wrench on, but that's just another privilege. Be the best version of yourself out there, always. It's easy to be stressed out. If you are, relax, take a deep breath, and compose yourself (and get a little perspective), before going to get service/help.

And never make the decision to quit the route on a bad day! Sleep on it! If the bike can roll, keep going! Now's the time to work on any weaknesses/injuries in yourself!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 04:32:21 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »

And never make the decision to quit the route on a bad day! Sleep on it! If the bike can roll, keep going! Now's the time to work on any weaknesses/injuries in yourself!

Every trip has one worst day and one best day.  If you have a bad day, it could well be the worst day of the trip and now it's behind you, so why quit?!?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #38 on: December 10, 2017, 03:35:23 PM
Kolson

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2017, 03:35:23 PM »

You so right. Bike shops are really cool. We have some great ones here in AZ who take care of you on Sag routes really well. Even sponsoring for the TD. They will follow the blue dot for sure!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 04:45:00 PM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »

Outside of the perpetual obsessing about gear and what to bring/not to bring, I think my biggest concern is cold weather. Like frigid, hypothermia cold. Wet, can't stop shivering cold. Does it get that bad? I'm afraid of packing that fear and being waaaayyyy too heavy with uneccessary items. I know it's all relative to what is too cold for someone and what isn't, but what are temps like at the coldest?
  Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: