Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #80 on: January 18, 2018, 07:15:59 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2018, 07:15:59 AM »

Does anyone know the difference or pros/cons of the Aqua Mira drops vs. the Kataydin Micropur tablets. I've never used the Kataydin tabs before, the Aqua Mira drops have served me well in the backcountry so far, but I like the idea of not having to wait 5 minutes for the two Aqua Mira solutions to become effective.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #81 on: January 18, 2018, 07:37:48 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2018, 07:37:48 AM »

Yes, and it makes me realize how darn lucky we are to be able to have that freedom.

So, back to planning...does anyone carry filters or pumps on the route anymore? Or are tabs/drops enough. I just got a new MSR trailshot, but I'm wondering if I even need it now.

Tabs and drops are chancy as they do not kill all the nasties.  I take a Sawyer Mini ($20 or so at Wal-Mart) - weighs only a few ounces.  It can also be installed inline with a bladder.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #82 on: January 18, 2018, 06:29:06 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2018, 06:29:06 PM »

Guh, I hate the Everest comparison. People spend huge chunks of money on things like the TD, but it's not some requirement. ML would talk about doing the race spending just a few hundred dollars en route. Having a flashy kit is fun, but nail the basics and keep the rest of everything simple.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #83 on: January 19, 2018, 06:48:30 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2018, 06:48:30 AM »

I take a Sawyer Mini ($20 or so at Wal-Mart) - weighs only a few ounces.  It can also be installed inline with a bladder.

I've used one of those in-line before but I don't like the drag it creates on the suction - I feel like I don't drink as much water.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #84 on: January 19, 2018, 06:52:01 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2018, 06:52:01 AM »

I've used one of those in-line before but I don't like the drag it creates on the suction - I feel like I don't drink as much water.

I've never tried it in-line.  I use it to fill my bottles.  I estimate it takes maybe 2 minutes to fill a 1-liter bottle.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #85 on: January 19, 2018, 07:03:19 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2018, 07:03:19 AM »

Guh, I hate the Everest comparison. People spend huge chunks of money on things like the TD, but it's not some requirement. ML would talk about doing the race spending just a few hundred dollars en route. Having a flashy kit is fun, but nail the basics and keep the rest of everything simple.

I hate it too, but I wasn't even referring to the expense/gear aspect so much as the self-supported ethic.  When Hillary summited Everest it was just him and his guide/partner all on their own.  Now the Sherpas go up in advance and place the ladders, fix the ropes over the tough parts, establish the base camp and high camps, and even haul people up on occasion...

The TD is now well-known enough that bike shops stay open extra hours, people set out snacks and drinks, fans meet riders on route to offer assistance...  Not unexpected really, but it IS different from the early days.  I also see from reading the blogs, Cordillera articles, and books that a lot of riders are willing to accept a lot more help on their self-supported ride.  Again, nothing wrong with that except that it technically violates TD rules and the self-supported ethic - does that matter for an unofficial race?  Each individual has to decide that for themselves, but again, it's quite different from the early days of the race.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #86 on: January 19, 2018, 09:12:28 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2018, 09:12:28 AM »

Does anyone know the difference or pros/cons of the Aqua Mira drops vs. the Kataydin Micropur tablets. I've never used the Kataydin tabs before, the Aqua Mira drops have served me well in the backcountry so far, but I like the idea of not having to wait 5 minutes for the two Aqua Mira solutions to become effective.
I use the micropur mp1's. Without rereading all the labelling, you can find it easily online, they do a better job at killing most/all of the nasties compared other pills and drops.
I had a new sawyer mini plug up on me within 1 day on the CTR a couple years ago. Found it really hard to drink out of. I've been using the mp1's for a few years. AZT's, CTR's, local trips, bring em on every trip. So far so good.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #87 on: January 19, 2018, 09:53:24 AM
aarond

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2018, 09:53:24 AM »

I hate it too, but I wasn't even referring to the expense/gear aspect so much as the self-supported ethic.  When Hillary summited Everest it was just him and his guide/partner all on their own.  Now the Sherpas go up in advance and place the ladders, fix the ropes over the tough parts, establish the base camp and high camps, and even haul people up on occasion...

The TD is now well-known enough that bike shops stay open extra hours, people set out snacks and drinks, fans meet riders on route to offer assistance...  Not unexpected really, but it IS different from the early days.  I also see from reading the blogs, Cordillera articles, and books that a lot of riders are willing to accept a lot more help on their self-supported ride.  Again, nothing wrong with that except that it technically violates TD rules and the self-supported ethic - does that matter for an unofficial race?  Each individual has to decide that for themselves, but again, it's quite different from the early days of the race.
A better comparison would be to messner's ascent of everest.  He climbed the entire route by himself and without oxygen.  By contrast, Hillary led very little of the route,

"When the expedition set out, it included approximately four hundred people. There were over three hundred porters, twenty Sherpa guides, and about ten thousand pounds of baggage. The Sherpa guides were intended to lead the expedition partially up the mountain. In March of 1953, the expedition set off."

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #88 on: January 20, 2018, 01:59:18 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2018, 01:59:18 PM »

Ride to Everest Basecamp before the climb, or it doesn't count!

Having made up a few of my own ridiculous routes, and tried to do them for time, I can wholly agree it's a different experience than the TD, even when I first did the TD 7 years ago, when the starting line was more like 75.

Things change, that's OK. Having small towns observe cycling tourist traffic and react to it by offering amenities to them, is like: the future I love to see. The size of the starting line is a bit much for someone like me that once a little solace from crowds, but I think NoBo would work for me just fine. I like the (relatively) less "figured out" the course would be when it comes to resup, etc. But still not completely out there. I would just hope they let me in Canada!  BangHead

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #89 on: January 20, 2018, 03:50:59 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

He didn't even take hand-ups from his girlfriend in the car!  thumbsup

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #90 on: January 21, 2018, 03:07:09 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »

It looks like the TD route is different than the ACA route through Butte...any specific reason why?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #91 on: January 21, 2018, 03:22:18 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »

The Outdoorsman in Butte has closed for good?!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #92 on: January 21, 2018, 04:13:11 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2018, 04:13:11 PM »

Outdoorsmans Closing Letter

The fact that the TD/GDR made the letter shows it was an important part of the shop.

I am sorry I won't be able to visit. One of those shops with legendary hospitality that you heard about every year...

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #93 on: January 28, 2018, 07:54:12 AM
Adventure Bikepacking

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2018, 07:54:12 AM »

Still no rain and almost no snow down here in New Mexico.Fires are definitely going to be an issue this year. A general rule is to finish before July 4th.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #94 on: January 29, 2018, 05:17:54 PM
Payton MacDonald

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2018, 05:17:54 PM »

I've been reading a thread started on November 29, 2009 called 'Tour Divide Basics', which is immensely worth the time to read for rookies - at least I think so. But I can't help thinking how much TD racing has changed since the early days: bikepacking specific gear is readily available from multiple outlets now (no longer just revelate and carousel); GPS units are smaller, faster, and have better battery life; the GD track seems to be highly accurate; ACA maps are incredibly detailed; trackleaders and SPOT; Osprey backpacks; etc, etc.

It feels like the pioneering spirit of TD has perhaps been replaced by a 'bucket list' type mentality. There are obviously still many risks associated with tackling this route and many adventures to be had, but so much has already been figured out by the early riders; where to get good water (I found a google map for water sources on the Wamsutter detour that someone posted), where to shop, which bike shops to hit, where to ship food/gear, what kind of lights to carry, navigational improvements have limited the need to rely on cues/maps, unlimited discussions and reviews on rain gear, shelters, clothing, stoves, tires, what kind of food to eat, etc. And the sheer volume of countless trip reports...even a movie!

Keep in mind that you don't necessarily have to race it, or if you do you could do it as an ITT and leave at a different time from the GD. You could also consider riding NoBo, which has far fewer people. Or, you could forgo it all together and make your own route somewhere.

When I was doing my Sonic Divide project in 2016 I ran into several racers who said they didn't really want to race any more, but they seemed to be struggling with some form of guilt for "only touring." I resented the implication that a touring cyclist is somehow less of an athlete than a racer, but more importantly I felt they were missing an opportunity to make the Divide something special to them.

Racing is very exciting (For the record, I like racing very much), but I feel that sometimes it gets more attention than other forms of interacting with the outdoors and challenging yourself as an athlete. I understand why people like it: there's a built in narrative that is captivating, but the archetype of going deep into something and overcoming struggles can be explored in any number of ways. Racing is just one mechanism for that. It might be the right one for you, but it might not.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #95 on: January 29, 2018, 06:35:46 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2018, 06:35:46 PM »

Racing is just one mechanism for that. It might be the right one for you, but it might not.

Good point - and certainly true - I will definitely be racing and doing my best to honor the original ideals of the race

I just wish I had been a pioneer. This will be the biggest ride of my life though and I'm expecting it to be just as amazing and just as rugged and just as hard as it was for anyone who has gone before.

I'm not really complaining about TD progress (ok, maybe a little). But I do think it's worth noting. I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it though...

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #96 on: January 31, 2018, 06:30:38 AM
Enjoying the View

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2018, 06:30:38 AM »

I just wish I had been a pioneer. This will be the biggest ride of my life though and I'm expecting it to be just as amazing and just as rugged and just as hard as it was for anyone who has gone before.

Woodland.  You could help pioneer the new Wild West Route.

https://www.bikepackingroots.org/wild-west-route.html

Fully Packed Adventure Ministries www.fullypacked.org/fpamdenver

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #97 on: January 31, 2018, 09:57:29 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »

James' run from a few years ago is always one worth re-reading for some raw inspiration...
Classic, in great style!
http://blog.jonesbikes.com/james-%E2%80%93-tour-divide/

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #98 on: January 31, 2018, 03:47:06 PM
wolfmansbro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2018, 03:47:06 PM »

I kind of look at the GDMBR like the Nose on El Cap. Both are considered ultra classic route for each sport and both are perhaps the most popular. So most people take their time to complete each as a worthy goal. The Nose in a Day is similar to the Tour Divide. It's on most peoples bucket list, but once you complete it you soon realize it's only the start and there are just as worthy goals to move on from there. Or you spend hundreds of hours getting the beta about every single move and race for the Fastest Known Time. If you feel like the adventure of the Tour Divide has changed then you can also pioneer First Assents. Every day I see a new bike packing route posted to the inter web.

Now back on topic.... What might be the go to source for a GPS file for the Tour divide, so that we can start comparing the differences to the ACA maps? I think my biggest fear right now is going off route and getting "disqualified." haha.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #99 on: January 31, 2018, 04:53:11 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2018, 04:53:11 PM »

I've been using this:
http://topofusion.com/divide/gps.php
  Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: