Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #60 on: January 11, 2018, 07:22:27 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2018, 07:22:27 PM »

But, I've heard that you should carry them in the prescription bottle or original packaging. You could do that until Eureka, then consolidate into something else.

Good tip - thanks

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #61 on: January 12, 2018, 06:09:33 AM
Two Tired

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2018, 06:09:33 AM »

Anyone have experience carrying prescription meds across the border?

I've never had them look or even ask.

When the customs agents ask you about the unlabeled meds that they have found in your kit, don't say this...

"...but Bob said that he never had any problem."

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #62 on: January 12, 2018, 06:37:33 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2018, 06:37:33 PM »

icon_biggrin

Bob - I may end up blaming you for all my problems on the route. 'But he said he NEVER had any problems'  Wink

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #63 on: January 13, 2018, 07:14:51 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2018, 07:14:51 AM »

When the customs agents ask you about the unlabeled meds that they have found in your kit, don't say this...

"...but Bob said that he never had any problem."

I actually kept mine in the original prescription bottles.  However, my EXPERIENCE was that they have never asked (and I have been across the Canadian/U.S. border dozens of times).

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #64 on: January 13, 2018, 07:18:38 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2018, 07:18:38 AM »

icon_biggrin

Bob - I may end up blaming you for all my problems on the route. 'But he said he NEVER had any problems'  Wink

HA!  Problems are what this race is all about!  Multiple times per day!  icon_scratch Fortunately you rarely have more than 1 or 2 choices at any given time.  Just remember not to quit  nono - that's where I got it wrong.  thumbsup

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #65 on: January 14, 2018, 05:37:07 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2018, 05:37:07 PM »

So the TD and the GDR part ways just north of Elkford I see now...onto the somewhat infamous Koko Claims HAB and then rejoin near Fernie. But the TD and ACA route don't seem to jive through Fernie. Then they part ways again south of Fernie and rejoin north of Butts Cabin at the Harvey Lodgepole Rd junction.

My point being - the cues on the ACA maps don't see helpful in terms of mileage in this area - so do most racers now just rely on GPS and use maps a backup. Is the track good enough these days to just use GPS exclusively?

I'm trying to make some minimized cues from the maps - but in areas like Fernie it seems tricky to make good ones, and I'm thinking I just forget it and follow the track.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #66 on: January 14, 2018, 05:41:04 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2018, 05:41:04 PM »

So the TD and the GDR part ways just north of Elkford I see now...onto the somewhat infamous Koko Claims HAB and then rejoin near Fernie. But the TD and ACA route don't seem to jive through Fernie. Then they part ways again south of Fernie and rejoin north of Butts Cabin at the Harvey Lodgepole Rd junction.

My point being - the cues on the ACA maps don't see helpful in terms of mileage in this area - so do most racers now just rely on GPS and use maps a backup. Is the track good enough these days to just use GPS exclusively?

I'm trying to make some minimized cues from the maps - but in areas like Fernie it seems tricky to make good ones, and I'm thinking I just forget it and follow the track.

Riders will get updated cues from Matthew prior to the race date.  In the meantime, riders from last year may have copies to share.  The route is also going to be substantially changed from Three Sisters Dam to Boulton Creek or perhaps as far as Elk Pass since the West side of the Spray Reservoir is to be closed by Parks Canada to all traffic.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #67 on: January 14, 2018, 06:08:49 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2018, 06:08:49 PM »

I didn't know Matthew provided cues, good to know. What format does he provide them in, and are they for all the detours? Or just certain areas that deviate from the ACA route?

Thanks

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #68 on: January 14, 2018, 07:21:34 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »

I didn't know Matthew provided cues, good to know. What format does he provide them in, and are they for all the detours? Or just certain areas that deviate from the ACA route?

Thanks

Here are examples from an email I got the day before (!!!) Grand Depart in 2015:

1) Kananaskis Lakes Trail Bypass, AB (required bidirectionally) https://goo.gl/nhhrMi
2) Josephine Falls Trail Bypass, BC (required bidirectionally) https://goo.gl/L3O1Nn
3) Fish Lake Mountain Bypass, WY (required bidirectionally) goo.gl/NQu0bz
4) Wamsutter Bypass, WY (required bidirectionally) https://goo.gl/o4XwUf
5) Gold Dust Trail Bypass, CO (required sobo ONLY) goo.gl/6SeyCR
6) Chaco Alternate, NM (optional) See ACA Map
7) El Malpais Alternate, NC (optional) See ACA Map
Cool Sapillo Alternate, NM (required bidirectionally) See ACA Map

He also had them in the same email as attachments.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #69 on: January 14, 2018, 08:23:34 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2018, 08:23:34 PM »

That's really helpful to see. Thanks for sharing those.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #70 on: January 16, 2018, 12:27:26 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2018, 12:27:26 PM »

I've been reading a thread started on November 29, 2009 called 'Tour Divide Basics', which is immensely worth the time to read for rookies - at least I think so. But I can't help thinking how much TD racing has changed since the early days: bikepacking specific gear is readily available from multiple outlets now (no longer just revelate and carousel); GPS units are smaller, faster, and have better battery life; the GD track seems to be highly accurate; ACA maps are incredibly detailed; trackleaders and SPOT; Osprey backpacks; etc, etc.

It feels like the pioneering spirit of TD has perhaps been replaced by a 'bucket list' type mentality. There are obviously still many risks associated with tackling this route and many adventures to be had, but so much has already been figured out by the early riders; where to get good water (I found a google map for water sources on the Wamsutter detour that someone posted), where to shop, which bike shops to hit, where to ship food/gear, what kind of lights to carry, navigational improvements have limited the need to rely on cues/maps, unlimited discussions and reviews on rain gear, shelters, clothing, stoves, tires, what kind of food to eat, etc. And the sheer volume of countless trip reports...even a movie! And I'm guessing the retailers and bike shop owners and store proprietors and so on are not that enamored by racers anymore after seeing them year after year for over 10 years - and probably having many expecting special treatment/service. I hope I'm wrong on that last point.  

And just the numbers alone - from what, 14 racers the first year?...to 200 something this past year. Even the bikepacking.net threads seem to be losing content and activity as FB takes over. Are you even alone that much on the route anymore! I suppose 2,700 miles is vast enough to get spread out - but you get my point.

This may not be the proper thread for such a discussion, but so be it.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited as hell to finally have a chance to toe the line in this years TD (I've been infatuated ever since Billman's 2007 article - I still have the magazine, and read the article often and I know I'm not the only one who was changed by that article) but for better or worse it feels like a very different race these days. Probably none of that matters - just something I've been thinking about.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #71 on: January 16, 2018, 12:34:48 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2018, 12:34:48 PM »

I've been reading a thread started on November 29, 2009 called 'Tour Divide Basics', which is immensely worth the time to read for rookies - at least I think so. But I can't help thinking how much TD racing has changed since the early days: bikepacking specific gear is readily available from multiple outlets now (no longer just revelate and carousel); GPS units are smaller, faster, and have better battery life; the GD track seems to be highly accurate; ACA maps are incredibly detailed; trackleaders and SPOT; Osprey backpacks; etc, etc.

It feels like the pioneering spirit of TD has perhaps been replaced by a 'bucket list' type mentality. There are obviously still many risks associated with tackling this route and many adventures to be had, but so much has already been figured out by the early riders; where to get good water (I found a google map for water sources on the Wamsutter detour that someone posted), where to shop, which bike shops to hit, where to ship food/gear, what kind of lights to carry, navigational improvements have limited the need to rely on cues/maps, unlimited discussions and reviews on rain gear, shelters, clothing, stoves, tires, what kind of food to eat, etc. And the sheer volume of countless trip reports...even a movie! And I'm guessing the retailers and bike shop owners and store proprietors and so on are not that enamored by racers anymore after seeing them year after year for over 10 years - and probably having many expecting special treatment/service. I hope I'm wrong on that last point. 

And just the numbers alone - from what, 14 racers the first year?...to 200 something this past year. Even the bikepacking.net threads seem to be losing content and activity as FB takes over. Are you even alone that much on the route anymore! I suppose 2,700 miles is vast enough to get spread out - but you get my point.

This may not be the proper thread for such a discussion, but so be it.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited as hell to finally have a chance to toe the line in this years TD (I've been infatuated ever since Billman's 2007 article - I still have the magazine, and read the article often and I know I'm not the only one who was changed by that article) but for better or worse it feels like a very different race these days. Probably none of that matters - just something I've been thinking about.

The Tour Divide is becoming the Mount Everest of bikepacking.  Fortunately, it is still possible to have as "pure" an experience as one wants to by embracing simplicity, refusing too much advance knowledge, and if necessary, ITTing it at a date other than the GD.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #72 on: January 16, 2018, 12:54:22 PM
hubick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2018, 12:54:22 PM »

The Tour Divide is becoming the Mount Everest of bikepacking.

The TD makes demands that I think will keep it from ever turning into a fondo (at least past the first legs). Everest is a great comparison though. But, the divide is thankfully a much bigger space, which should hopefully help absorb some of the load. It seems most places on the route are still happy to have the tourism? Having signed up as a rookie, I think it would be hypocritical of me to begrudge anyone else joining, or lament the growing numbers. I've been dreaming of doing it since following Craig Stappler's dot (fellow Albertan racer). I guess I should probably watch the movie before I go.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #73 on: January 16, 2018, 01:33:12 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »

I think it would be hypocritical of me to begrudge anyone else joining, or lament the growing numbers.

Yes, of course you are right. I do the same with my local trails which have ballooned in usage over the last decade. I'm sounding like an old man...I should stop that.

I guess I should probably watch the movie before I go.

Definitely watch Mike Dion's movie!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #74 on: January 16, 2018, 02:59:48 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2018, 02:59:48 PM »

... And I'm guessing the retailers and bike shop owners and store proprietors and so on are not that enamored by racers anymore after seeing them year after year for over 10 years - and probably having many expecting special treatment/service. I hope I'm wrong on that last point. 

This recent article in High Country News suggests that you would be wrong: http://www.hcn.org/articles/the-montana-gap-rural-towns-capitalize-on-cycling-tourism.  At least in the case where Ovando, MT and other such communities located along cycling routes are concerned.  Also, I'm pretty sure High Country Lodge outside of Polaris, MT intentionally caters to TD racers and GDR touring riders, to either fill the gaps between fishermen and hunters, or to increase their margins.  I'm also willing to bet that some of the more prominent bike shops (Orange Peel, Absolute Bikes, among others) staff and stock their stores in anticipation of the "TD rush" rather than the other way around.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #75 on: January 16, 2018, 03:32:01 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2018, 03:32:01 PM »

That's a good read, and nice to see that cycling can provide additional tourism to these smaller communities. Ovando has obviously become a hugely supportive town for the TD and I am looking forward to arriving myself! I feel like I already know Kathy  icon_biggrin

What do you suppose the percentage of TD riders is to the overall number of GDR tourers over the course of a summer?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #76 on: January 16, 2018, 04:16:24 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »

That's a good read, and nice to see that cycling can provide additional tourism to these smaller communities. Ovando has obviously become a hugely supportive town for the TD and I am looking forward to arriving myself! I feel like I already know Kathy  icon_biggrin

What do you suppose the percentage of TD riders is to the overall number of GDR tourers over the course of a summer?

Kathy from Ovando (Angler) wrote an article in the current Cordillera about the TD in Ovando and says they get over a thousand cyclists per year (~200 of which are TD).

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #77 on: January 17, 2018, 12:14:55 PM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »

It feels like the pioneering spirit of TD has perhaps been replaced by a 'bucket list' type mentality. There are obviously still many risks associated with tackling this route and many adventures to be had, but so much has already been figured out by the early riders; where to get good water (I found a google map for water sources on the Wamsutter detour that someone posted), where to shop, which bike shops to hit, where to ship food/gear,   

Woodland - So many details like above are contained in Mike McCoy's guide book for the Great Divide published in 2000 (4 years before the first GD from Rooseville). The ACA Maps are very detailed and were released in 1998 and have full data, including tel numbers, of all relevant services. The Moe Brothers were the pioneers of the GDMBR riding a Continental Divide route in 1984 and the ACA followed with their map and Mike McCoy's book. Since then we've all just been following in the tread marks of giants.

Ovando had 300 campers in 2009, TD had 16 finishers - so at most 5% riders on GDMBR are TD racers (assuming all riders on GDMBR camped at Ovando, so likely less than 5%).

After the legendary John Stamstad raced it in 1999 people have been up for the challenge. Yes, it is a bucket list race since 1999, but not of the drag-me-up-Everest-cocktail-party-conversation type of person, but for a self supported ultra racing bikepacker type.

Other than the first 1-2 days you are alone out there even with 160 starters, and even day 1 & 2 you're mostly alone with no-one in sight. If you're riding the same pace as someone you won't catch them, and anyone who catches you (or who you catch) after day 2 has a relatively short chat and moves on at their pace. Or just ITT it, or go NOBO, or a NOBO ITT.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #78 on: January 17, 2018, 05:59:07 PM
Majcolo

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2018, 05:59:07 PM »

Racing tends to drive racers to the most optimal solution - which has to a great degree been worked out - so from that perspective you're right that the pioneering spirit might be gone. We have the freedom to make the experience whatever we want it to be, however.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #79 on: January 18, 2018, 06:54:22 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2018, 06:54:22 AM »

We have the freedom to make the experience whatever we want it to be, however.

Yes, and it makes me realize how darn lucky we are to be able to have that freedom.

So, back to planning...does anyone carry filters or pumps on the route anymore? Or are tabs/drops enough. I just got a new MSR trailshot, but I'm wondering if I even need it now.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: