Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #120 on: February 10, 2018, 03:23:09 PM
jjmundt

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2018, 03:23:09 PM »

That rule came after that race.

My point is more this:  The Great Divide Mountain Bike Route is a construct of the ACA and uses public roads and trails.  ANYONE can use the GDMBR to tour, fast tour, or race.  If one chooses to do their own time trial or to race with friends, they can make whatever rules they want.  However, if one is racing in the Tour Divide, the Tour Divide rules should be followed, regardless of how anyone feels about them.

+1!!

Mtn: 2015 Surly Krampus Ops
Road: 2012 Cannondale Synapse Carbon

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #121 on: February 13, 2018, 06:33:41 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2018, 06:33:41 AM »

Just to give myself some nightmares and make myself more uneasy about bear encounters than I already am I just ordered this book:
(Amazon - in it's 'you might be interested in' section - offered up a Stephen King book to make matters worse!)

https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Attacks-Causes-Avoidance-revised/dp/158574557X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

Are bear encounters on the TD in Canada and MT still as numerous as they have always been? Do people still carry spray? I was planning on buying some in Banff.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #122 on: February 13, 2018, 06:56:14 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2018, 06:56:14 AM »

Just to give myself some nightmares and make myself more uneasy about bear encounters than I already am I just ordered this book:
(Amazon - in it's 'you might be interested in' section - offered up a Stephen King book to make matters worse!)

https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Attacks-Causes-Avoidance-revised/dp/158574557X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

Are bear encounters on the TD in Canada and MT still as numerous as they have always been? Do people still carry spray? I was planning on buying some in Banff.

I've been there 3 times and saw bears......3 times in Canada.  The last time I just ht the Smith-Dorrien after the Mt. Shark Ski Area access road and was tooling along, neglecting my noisemaking when a HUGE (probably average-sized) grizzly reared up from behind a guard rail maybe 10 meters away.  I hit my air horn and he dropped down.  Since it was a slight downhill I booked it out; looking back, I saw him come out to the road.  I think he was just curious.  Later that same day on the S-D gravel downhill just before the pavement going towards Boulton Creek, ANOTHER grizzly - this one actually WAS huge - was scrambling up the scree to my left as fast as he could go.  Since I was over 20 mph it didn't freak me out as much as the first one.  The bike trail in the Peter Lougheed Park (where Boulton Creek is) is usually closed due to bear activity and starting this year the backside of the Spray Reservoir is closed as well, so yes, plenty of bears.  In the Flathead there is a gated road that we ride between Ram-Wigwam campground and The Wall that is generally covered pretty well with bear crap in places since it has limited human access.

Bear spray - the useful stuff weights a pound but really, although you will probably not need it, if you DID need it and didn't have it, what are the options?  Experts say roll up in a ball with your hands behind your neck (so the bear can chew off your hands instead of your head) and if you get mauled more than 1 minute, fight.  I don't like that option!  Water weighs a pint a pound, so carry the spray and cut your water by a pint.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #123 on: February 13, 2018, 07:18:05 AM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2018, 07:18:05 AM »

was tooling along, neglecting my noisemaking...
does anyone attach bear bells (or some other type) to the bike so you're constantly making noise? Seems like a good option, but I can also see how they would be annoying noise pollution, so to say.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #124 on: February 13, 2018, 07:31:20 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2018, 07:31:20 AM »

does anyone attach bear bells (or some other type) to the bike so you're constantly making noise? Seems like a good option, but I can also see how they would be annoying noise pollution, so to say.

I found that bear bells work great for hikers, who are moving ~3 mph.  On a bike, by the time the bear hears them, he's there.  Still, doesn't hurt to have them if you can keep your sanity amidst the jangling.

EDIT:  I've often thought about attaching a small speaker to an mp3 player as an alternative.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #125 on: February 13, 2018, 08:24:08 AM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2018, 08:24:08 AM »

I have a friend that was honestly talking about bringing a gun on the TD! Bear spray is more effective than a gun, legal issues aside.

Even though they are an apex predator, bears really don't seem to want anything to do with you. I encountered two in Canada, one on the Wigwam Road (a juvenile) and the other on the Galton Pass descent, which was huge. Both were grizzles.  The first turned and bolted as soon as he saw me, the second was already in a full gallop away from me when I caught sight of him. Both made me nervous.

You don't want to run from a bear, and you can't out ride them even on a downhill. They can run 35 mph. So you have to stand your ground and try to look as big as possible. Apparently they will mock charge you and stop a few feet away if you don't give ground (this according to Crazy Larry in Banff). By that point you better have the spray ready if not before then so its a good idea to practice pulling it from the holster and removing the safety. Always have the spray with you when not on the bike, and never approach a bear.

Apparently bells don't do a whole lot. If I see several piles of bear poop in the same area, I try to make as much noise as I can since that might be 'territory'? I'm hoping they don't like my singing...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:29:22 AM by Salubrious » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #126 on: February 13, 2018, 09:03:01 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2018, 09:03:01 AM »

I have a friend that was honestly talking about bringing a gun on the TD! Bear spray is more effective than a gun, legal issues aside.

Even though they are an apex predator, bears really don't seem to want anything to do with you. I encountered two in Canada, one on the Wigwam Road (a juvenile) and the other on the Galton Pass descent, which was huge. Both were grizzles.  The first turned and bolted as soon as he saw me, the second was already in a full gallop away from me when I caught sight of him. Both made me nervous.

You don't want to run from a bear, and you can't out ride them even on a downhill. They can run 35 mph. So you have to stand your ground and try to look as big as possible. Apparently they will mock charge you and stop a few feet away if you don't give ground (this according to Crazy Larry in Banff). By that point you better have the spray ready if not before then so its a good idea to practice pulling it from the holster and removing the safety. Always have the spray with you when not on the bike, and never approach a bear.

Apparently bells don't do a whole lot. If I see several piles of bear poop in the same area, I try to make as much noise as I can since that might be 'territory'? I'm hoping they don't like my singing...

And remember - black bear poop is kind of runny and filled with berries; grizzly poop is filled with little bells and smells like pepper.  icon_biggrin

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #127 on: February 13, 2018, 09:39:35 AM
wolfmansbro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2018, 09:39:35 AM »

I don't think bears are as big of an issue as most people make it out to be. Granted grizzlies can be a different story when your riding alone, you are tired, your mind is wondering and you stumble across one and startle them. And you can be rolling the dice while camped next to your food but maybe just camp 40 feet away from your food in bear country and that's the risk you take. I feel that if you don't spook them they are less concerned and won't bother you. So a speaker or bell works great to just let them know you are in the area. Trust me they can hear that bell from a long ways away, so long as they are downwind of you. If you do come across one and are cornered, try lifting your bike above your head to make yourself look bigger or stand tall on your peddles. Most of the time they really don't want anything to do with you.  
This bell looks like a nice addition to the kit. https://www.amazon.com/TIMBER-Trail-Awareness-Mountain-Black/dp/B0184TO7NY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518542818&sr=8-2&keywords=timber+bell

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #128 on: February 13, 2018, 09:51:51 AM
Salubrious

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2018, 09:51:51 AM »

The thing is, a raccoon can give a bear a hard time, and a bear of any size knows that its really not worth it to get an injury that might take a while to heal. So they have a certain level of caution that humans exposed to clean water and soap may not appreciate.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #129 on: February 13, 2018, 10:02:46 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2018, 10:02:46 AM »

This bell looks like a nice addition to the kit.

That does look slick, lockout feature is key. I like how it hangs under the bars. But that could be tricky with a handlebar bag...

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #130 on: February 14, 2018, 12:50:30 AM
Rob Colliver

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2018, 12:50:30 AM »

Hi, is now a good time to talk about the snowpack?
I've just got back to the UK after spending Dec and Jan in Fernie; they have been having a superb ski season and they have had 8 metres of the white stuff so far this season although it only transfers into a pack of approx 3 metres that needs to melt before June. Lots of time for change I know.....

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #131 on: February 14, 2018, 01:57:18 PM
jthops

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »

I saw 5 bears last year. 2 black between cabin pass and the border. 3 grizzly's - 2 between eureka and Tukchuck campground and 1 on the descent off of Richmond. All, but 1 took off as soon as they saw me, but the 1 that didn't really got in my head. It was on the climb up Whitefish divide. He was going up the road at dusk and so were we. We just walked a distance behind him with bear spray in hand, and he finally got off the road. Biggest bear I've ever seen. I was paranoid for the rest of the night, but I was fine by 4am when I wandered out of the Montana Hilton. I actually use a bluetooth speaker on my bars and play music when riding by myself in bear country, although given my experience last year maybe it doesn't work all that well.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #132 on: February 14, 2018, 04:44:57 PM
Pirahna

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2018, 04:44:57 PM »

This might be worth watching if you're worried about bears https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExlT-5VU-Y

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #133 on: February 15, 2018, 02:02:46 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2018, 02:02:46 AM »

This might be worth watching if you're worried about bears https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExlT-5VU-Y
All those with bear fears (and even those without) watch the video. It will go a long way to helping you understand the risks and what precautions you need to take. Thousands of cyclists have pedalled down the TD route and I can’t say I have heard of a single attack. Educate yourself and forget the rumours.
Enjoy the race.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #134 on: February 15, 2018, 04:47:32 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2018, 04:47:32 AM »

All those with bear fears (and even those without) watch the video. It will go a long way to helping you understand the risks and what precautions you need to take. Thousands of cyclists have pedalled down the TD route and I can’t say I have heard of a single attack. Educate yourself and forget the rumours.
Enjoy the race.

There was one during the TD either 2017 or 2016, can't remember which.  Past Ferndale.  A woman had a young griz bluff-charge her and then charge for real.  Bear spray sent him packing.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #135 on: February 15, 2018, 06:18:27 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2018, 06:18:27 AM »

Educate yourself and forget the rumours.
Enjoy the race.

Not sure what rumors you are talking about.

I really hope to see a Grizzly though...that would be a real highlight for me.

I'll watch the video though...after all these years solo camping in Colorado, I think I've developed a bit of complacency around bear safety.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #136 on: February 15, 2018, 09:52:49 AM
jthops

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »

I had a long conversation with Tom Smith (from the above linked video) last year about bear encounters. He said, when it comes right down to it, do 3 things: (1) carry bear spray, (2) don't ride by yourself in bear country, and (3) don't ride at dusk or night in bear country. I looked at him and said, "how about 1 out of 3?" He just laughed and shook his head.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #137 on: February 16, 2018, 03:38:01 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2018, 03:38:01 AM »

Not sure what rumors you are talking about.

I really hope to see a Grizzly though...that would be a real highlight for me.

I'll watch the video though...after all these years solo camping in Colorado, I think I've developed a bit of complacency around bear safety.

Sorry, meant “wives tales”, not rumours. The video helps to dispel the wives tales.....plus he is actually pretty entertaining.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #138 on: February 16, 2018, 10:32:03 AM
wedelmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2018, 10:32:03 AM »

If it's rerouted as shown in the ACA addenda, it shouldn't be too bad. It's a well-built trail that spits out to the same place on the dirt road highway. It's a little shorter, and it will take a little more time. I'll take a little extra singletrack. If we stay on the HRT all the way to Bolton, then I think we're looking at a much longer haul. Unfortunately, everything is rumor until we get very close to the GD.

here's some info on the High Rockies trail for those interested http://kananaskistrails.com/high-rockies-trail/
The TD route has already been following "Goat Creek to Spray Lake" the past few years....if this year's route follows the ACA addendum, read up on the middle 3 sections, with the Rummel Lk trail being the exit point from High Rockies back to the Smith-Dorrien Trail aka highway 742 (at the same point where the "old" route past Mt Shark spit you out).
High Rockies is a well-built wide singletrack and is great fun to ride, but lots of up and down and slower going on a loaded bike. Some of the viewpoints over Spray Lake as it crosses some open avie paths are stunning.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:35:53 AM by wedelmaster » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2018 Race Preparation Reply #139 on: February 16, 2018, 11:36:05 AM
jjmundt

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2018, 11:36:05 AM »

There was one during the TD either 2017 or 2016, can't remember which.  Past Ferndale.  A woman had a young griz bluff-charge her and then charge for real.  Bear spray sent him packing.

I believe it was Dallis Waters who was charged by a bear near Holland Lake during the 2015 TD.  She waited until she saw the whites of its eyes and let go with bear spray.  Somebody recounted it in the 2015 TD thread...made the hair on my neck stand up when I read it.

Not that I would ever attempt the TD without bear spray...

I've often wondered about a bit of clorox bleach on a rag.  Since a bear's sense of smell is more powerful than a human by orders of magnitude, I thought that maybe carrying 4-5 ounces of Clorox bleach in a small bottle and then periodically putting a teaspoon or two on a rag might irritate a bear's nose enough to send it off.  Not sure if that's really practical or anything...just something I've thought about...

Mtn: 2015 Surly Krampus Ops
Road: 2012 Cannondale Synapse Carbon
  Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: