Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #200 on: May 02, 2017, 12:01:06 AM
tonydc

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 02, 2017, 12:01:06 AM »

Hello Racers.
I am a local guy ( Calgary ). I have hosted and helped racers over the last 5 years. Helped peeps negotiate the local airport. The local bike shop scene. Rides from the airport and to Banff when not working etc. Any local Calgary questions. Ask. I have also toured the route.

Happy pedalling,

Tony

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #201 on: May 02, 2017, 07:46:57 AM
sheilar

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2017, 07:46:57 AM »

Thanks Tony.
1.  Best coffee in Banff?  Have tried a few.  Curious what the locals think. 
2.  Last year there seemed to be only 1 bike shop. Who/where are the current go-to shops if needed?
Thanks!
sr

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #202 on: May 02, 2017, 09:35:58 AM
tonydc

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2017, 09:35:58 AM »

Haha! Great! A question I'm not qualified to answer. I'm a tea drinker but I'm sure people on this forum have had good experiences. There are lots of coffee places in Banff.

As for bike stores there are several with excellent mechanics and there is at least one guy who is mobile. All are very aware of the TD and supportive. They support many big cycling events thru the area so service is O/A excellent.  In my opinion the best dedicated store for bikepacking stuff is REBOUND CYCLE 25 km away in Canmore. It was one of the hosts for our bikepacking summit last year. The ride to Canmore can be done on a dedicated paved bicycle trail called The Legacy Trail. If you wanna pre ride the TD start you can take the TD trail to Spray Lakes Road ( Smith Dorian Road) and go LEFT not right and ride down to Canmore. Calgary has absolutely everything you need for bike stores bikepacking stuff and every brand imaginable. I know many of them well. There is also MEC (Americans. Think REI).

Couple of notes. If thinking of riding from Calgary Airport. It is in the far NE of city and about 20 km to downtown and will require a map if you are a first timer or use google maps.  Also you have to go thru Calgary to cycle to Banff and that can be a challenge at night and with the city traffic during the day-a city of over a million and very spread out. it is about 35 km total from the airport. There are multi use trails you can use to get thru the city and there are maps-like I mentioned google maps works if you use the bicycle route option. Once west of Calgary you then have 100km  of highway riding to get to Canmore and then 30km on the Legacy Trail to Banff.

My thought is take advantage of airport shuttles to downtown or hotels you arrange and or the discounted rate for the Banff shuttle some very experienced soul arranged and discussed on this forum.

I am working but if timing is right I can get you from airport into Calgary ( There are 200 of you so I'm likely only able to help a few of you with rides and a bed but it doesn't hurt to ask). I live 15 min walk to a big bike store and MEC. Someone is already scheduled  to stay at our place. I can squeeze in a couple of more. We have cats. I will be doing at least one shuttle to Banff arround my work schedule. I hope that helps.

Also I suggest if you plan to stay overnight in Calgary to take care of business. Getting to Banff a couple of days ahead can be a cool experience to immerse yourself in everything TD. If it's a bucket list thing it is an amazing thing to experience, seeing the rigs, hanging out at the Y. Meeting other racers, crazy LARRY, and forging new friends. If you are a pointy end racer or really stressed about the start then it can be overwhelming and distracting.

In summary, I know crap about coffee! 😜

....tony

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #203 on: May 02, 2017, 09:35:15 PM
Bash Aweigh

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 02, 2017, 09:35:15 PM »

Canmore: good coffee, several bike shops, good accommodation, hardware, outdoor stores, pharmacies, post office, loads of food choices.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #204 on: May 03, 2017, 09:07:26 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #204 on: May 03, 2017, 09:07:26 AM »

Not racing this year, but a short fast-tour. With that in mind, seems like there should be some places to camp between Elkford and Sparwood. Maybe after the pavement climb and before you get back to the pavement. I'm assuming that once you hit the pavement on hwy 43 you are then in people's front yard.

Obviously, bear area, but any other thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #205 on: May 03, 2017, 11:29:36 PM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 03, 2017, 11:29:36 PM »

Not racing this year, but a short fast-tour. With that in mind, seems like there should be some places to camp between Elkford and Sparwood. Maybe after the pavement climb and before you get back to the pavement. I'm assuming that once you hit the pavement on hwy 43 you are then in people's front yard.

Obviously, bear area, but any other thoughts?

I passed a rider early in the morning who had a nice campspot between the top of the paved road and the gravel road (on the single track Josephine Falls re-route). Check out trackleaders replay for location. Once on the gravel road there's loads of good spots for camping with the bears.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:04:14 AM by kiwidave » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #206 on: May 04, 2017, 06:22:02 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2017, 06:22:02 AM »

Thanks KiwiDave - Ideally, I wouldn't stop in that area, but nice to know it is a possibility if I had to.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #207 on: May 04, 2017, 10:30:57 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2017, 10:30:57 AM »

I am in for a Southbound GD. Still need to send in my LOI.  I was torn between this and the new ATR5000. Anyone driving up from Ut, Co, Nm or Az and have a spot available? I am in Moab.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #208 on: May 04, 2017, 12:51:04 PM
megand

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2017, 12:51:04 PM »

I like Whitebark Cafe in Banff (although Wild Flour has been good too, and their food is delicious), and Rave Coffee in Canmore (opinion of ex-Melburnian Australian who's been living in Canmore for nigh on ten years and generally despairs about the coffee available in Canada)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #209 on: May 05, 2017, 04:41:37 PM
DocTrike

Adventure & Ultra tricyclist.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: May 05, 2017, 04:41:37 PM »

I posted this to FB group but figured i would try hear as well. Since I am the sole caregiver for family with ALZ the only way I can do TDR this year is if I bring them along on the tandem trike. My questions having not done any of the Canadian section and not seen allot of the alternatives since 2103 is there any place on the route that trail access is limited and a 42" wide trike would not physically fit? I know The Wall connector section is a not possible based on pics and video I have seen.

Ultra Adventure Triker, Digital Nomad

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #210 on: May 05, 2017, 05:02:59 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: May 05, 2017, 05:02:59 PM »

Although you are to be commended for the idea, there are many places where you would have trouble:
Josephine Falls reroute after Elkford Canada, the road/stream on Flathead Pass, Richmond Peak Montana (parts are damn dangerous - even on a bike), Lava Mtn Trail Montana, several misc. places in Montana where the road/trail gets real nasty even for a bike, Union Pass hike-a-bike (but I'll bet there is a reroute around it this year).

Having never been on a modern trike, I can imagine that with the dual wheel stance you will have a rough time what with picking the 'best' line through rocky/potholed sections. Many times, even tho being careful to ride the best line, I have found myself apologizing to my bike! I would think a trike will have triple the trouble (ie: hard to pick the best line for three wheels tracks vs one). Another issue may be snowed in sections (passes) where you have to walk the trike long distances, and possibly over downfalls or avalanche debris

You might be better off riding those parts that you can and going on paved routes around the tough parts. I would strongly encourage you to not sign up for the actual TD race if you are not racing the actual route, rather sign up for the TD trail tracking - same basic map, SPOT tracking, etc. - and designed for those who are touring the route and do not have to follow the TD rule set.

Your're a good and creative caregiver - Best of luck!

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #211 on: May 05, 2017, 05:18:34 PM
DocTrike

Adventure & Ultra tricyclist.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: May 05, 2017, 05:18:34 PM »

Thanks much for the info, there are posted alternatives to several of those places on the TDR website, that said yes there may be sections of walking. I have had done most of the GDMBR US route on solo trike several times. I am mostly interested in sections that have changed since 2013 and where physical clearance is limited or the terrain is so extreme like a washed out bridge in Canada, or a narrow bridge, gate, fence hoping, water crossing.

Trikes have actually done the TDR route several times. They aren't like a bike where you pick a choose a line, there more like a military half track where you just plow right through everything. Sine I cant leave home for extend periods of time I had been pre-running sections of this course since around 2012.

Ultra Adventure Triker, Digital Nomad

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #212 on: May 07, 2017, 07:16:15 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 07, 2017, 07:16:15 AM »

Any word on the track leaders registration page? I received an e-mail back in mid April that they weren't quite ready and was wondering if anyone else had heard anything as of yet.
I'm doing an ITT departing 5 days after the grand depart and want to make sure that I get on the tracker. I did e-mail them a LOI.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #213 on: May 08, 2017, 11:40:28 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2017, 11:40:28 AM »

From Paul Siudara:

Extended hours at Glacier Cycles in Whitefish below ....

Greetings all 2017 Tour Divide racers! On behalf of the staff at Glacier Cyclery in Whitefish, Montana, USA (the first bike shop on route for SOBO's after departing Banff), we would like to wish all grand depart and ITT racers a warm welcome as you enter the beautiful mountains of Northwest Montana.
We would also like to inform racers that we will be offering extended shop hours for your service and sales needs as your roll through town. We are never open on Sundays, however the Sunday after the grand depart (June 11th this year) is an exception, as we usually see the first wave of riders descend into town. On this day we typically staff a half compliment of three mechanics to help with the day.
Business and extended hours during Divide race week, Saturday June 10th to Friday June 16th are as:
Saturday 9am to 5pm (normal hours)
Sunday Noon to 8pm (bonus day, use backdoor)
Monday 8am to 8pm (extended hours)
Tuesday 8am to 8pm (extended hours)
Weds 8am to 8pm (extended hours)
Thursday 9am to 6pm (normal hours)
Friday 9am to 6pm (normal hours)
If the main front doors of the shop are closed (they will be locked outside of normal business hours) come to the back door (north side of building) for service and supplies.
Our crew of professional mechanics will try to get you going ASAP, while juggling our normal local customer duties, and serving other bike tourists and travelers. If your bike needs help, come to the shop before you do errands so we can get you into the queue. In past, racers typically have to wait an hour or a few, depending on the line up. Some leave their bike overnight for morning pickup if they arrive to town late. Most racers will use this time to eat an insane amount food, do laundry, resupply, catch some shuteye etc.
Divide race week is one our favorite times of the year. We love the energy, the riders, and everything that encompasses the event. We look forward to watching your tracker dots as you approach town and carry on down route. For ITT’ers and NOBO’s that come in through town, let us know that you are racing so we can get you going ASAP. We wish everyone the best of luck this year, and a spout of nice weather during your passage.
Wind at your back,
The staff at Glacier Cyclery
For more information visit www.glaciercyclery.com
Ph: 406.862.6446

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #214 on: May 08, 2017, 08:24:17 PM
KO

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2017, 08:24:17 PM »

Has anyone taken a Greyhound from Las Cruces?  Lordsburg and Deming are closer but what's another 60 miles to save approximately $100 coming back to Denver.  Anyways, I've never taken a Greyhound before.  Since I don't know when exactly I'll finish, is there an station/ticket booth when I can buy tickets when I get there or is it only online?  Looking at Google Earth it looks like just a gas station with seats under a booth for the Greyhound. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #215 on: May 09, 2017, 03:38:59 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2017, 03:38:59 AM »

Has anyone taken a Greyhound from Las Cruces?  Lordsburg and Deming are closer but what's another 60 miles to save approximately $100 coming back to Denver.  Anyways, I've never taken a Greyhound before.  Since I don't know when exactly I'll finish, is there an station/ticket booth when I can buy tickets when I get there or is it only online?  Looking at Google Earth it looks like just a gas station with seats under a booth for the Greyhound. 

I would give them a call.  Most "stations" sell tickets.  The one in our town is in a party store, but they do sell tickets to walk-up customers.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #216 on: May 09, 2017, 10:15:43 AM
jthops

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 09, 2017, 10:15:43 AM »

The only problem with Greyhound is that they won't let you bring your bike unless it's boxed (so they can put it under the bus?) - at least that's what I was told last year when I called them.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #217 on: May 10, 2017, 07:49:19 AM
hubang

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 10, 2017, 07:49:19 AM »

It's been a LONG time since I was in Banff, and this is slightly off topic, but the cafe at the top of the Sulphur Mountain gondola had the BEST hot chocolate I've ever had. Kind of skirts around your question, since it isn't coffee. And with the ticket to the top of the mountain, it'll be one expensive cup.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #218 on: May 12, 2017, 09:58:43 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: May 12, 2017, 09:58:43 AM »

Just FYI: there's still construction happening between between Ute Pass and the start of Boreas Pass in CO. A few miles after getting on HWY 9, the shoulder is closed for construction, so you're forced onto a shoulderless highway for a few spells. Just be careful - especially if you hit this at night. HWY 9 is getting realigned after Frisco, and so is the bike path. Everything should be open, but the mileage (if you're using a speedo) could be off, and your tracks are slightly out of date. The path goes under the new highway a few times (instead of staying to the west), and features much less rolling terrain, so expect to get into break a few minutes earlier than before.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #219 on: May 12, 2017, 10:05:52 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: May 12, 2017, 10:05:52 AM »

Has anyone taken a Greyhound from Las Cruces?   

I used this:

http://www.eplalimo.com/

Which has to be the cheapest way to go.

Get your biked shipped out of Gila Hike & Bike.

And prepare for an adventure!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: