Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 07:22:51 AM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 07:22:51 AM »

I don't race and am not an ultra racer. I just love riding and the wilderness. That said, this last year I left Banff a week after the grand depart. It truly was the experience of a lifetime although it got cut short by my own negligence. I still averaged over 100 miles a day which I found respectable, BUT... Pay attention to small details and set priorities as something small can fester and derail you in ways you never expected. My legs were tired but not noodles on day 4, but there was no way that I could sit on a bike seat any longer. It wasn't saddle sores, just a very bad heat rash that likely was exacerbated by sweat. On day 2, I tucked a small cloth into my bibs at the base of my back to staunch the flow of sweat.

For first time riders. Relax. I arrived in Banff in eager anticipation and utterly terrified at times at the thought of heading down the valley all by myself. Once I made it 15 to 20 miles down the trail and I realized that my doom wasn't imminent, it was awesome. It really was an OMFG I am here experience. And I was all alone on the trail except for a NOBO Aussie that I met. After 8 to 10 hours, the isolation did start to set in and it was more than I had anticipated. Also be prepared to not be thinking well when you get drained.

I am going back again next June and once again I will leave the week after the grand depart. I learned A LOT this last year and have it posted somewhere on this forum. It should be titled "How NOT to ride the TD".

Anyway, I can't wait to get back and and psyched as ever. I am focusing on a lighter ride and gear selection along with being in even better shape.

So... Ride on 2017!!!
bakerjw: I did read your write up and thoroughly enjoyed it. Just curious as to why you're choosing to start so soon after the GP? I'm planning on racing it next year, and would love to start with everyone else, but because of various family obligations, I won't be able to start until a couple days after the GP at the very earliest. I'm considering starting even a month later. The purity of riding it solo is enticing, but also a little unnerving. Would appreciate your take.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 08:03:03 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 08:03:03 AM »

I chose the date as it is close to the longest day of the year and had a full moon in the middle. That was the main reason.

On a side note. I live in the Eastern time zone and am up and at em every morning at 5:10. My internal alarm clock is impeccable. So, at 3:10AM Banff time, I was wide awake and prepping to ride. I stopped into McDonalds at 4:30 and waited until about 5:00AM when it started to get light enough to ride. Leaving that morning, I really wanted to enjoy the view and the view was magnificent. I grabbed a room in Sparwood and it was still light at 10:00 so the days really do get long up there.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #22 on: October 11, 2016, 04:57:48 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »

I changed the subject title to "Preparation" rather than "Discussion". My brainfart. Thanks KD for pointing that out.   thumbsup

For those who don't know, once the race is underway a new thread is started - that way anyone who wants to Discuss/follow the race won't have to dig through miles of pre-race posts.

Cheers!

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 06:28:33 PM
RobD(NZ)

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 06:28:33 PM »

Tickets booked.. I'm in for 2017. Didn't think I was obsessive but my third time out on the divide might suggest otherwise...:-) icon_biggrin

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 12:19:59 PM
DocTrike

Adventure & Ultra tricyclist.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 12:19:59 PM »

Once agin this is on my list to do; the whole route start to finish in one ride, vs riding sections when I am available over several trips. However My situation as the sole caregiver for a parent with ALZ still lives my race plans up in the air. As a trike rider I just ship my bike complete no box, just roll in right up to the check-in counter.

Ultra Adventure Triker, Digital Nomad

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 04:37:10 PM
Jeff Tomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 04:37:10 PM »

What would you say the average Tour Divide racer spends on the complete trip/ride? Travel, hotels, cabins, camping, and food. Thank you.
Well. Airfare plus  $1.00 per mile is a decent estimate.....so about $2,800.00 plus airfare. You will hear arguments for more and a lot less, but that is a decent start. FOOD adds up quick. Jeff

Jeff Tomassetti

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 11:42:16 AM
Lederman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 11:42:16 AM »

Question about shoes: I have worn the same Specialized MTB shoes for years. They have a stiff sole. There are MTB shoes that are more flexible. Is it imperative to avoid the stiff soled shoes when attempting this type of event? I've looked at tons of pictures and it seems that regular stiff MTB shoes are plentiful. I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say about this.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 12:14:26 PM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 12:14:26 PM »

Question about shoes: I have worn the same Specialized MTB shoes for years. They have a stiff sole. There are MTB shoes that are more flexible. Is it imperative to avoid the stiff soled shoes when attempting this type of event? I've looked at tons of pictures and it seems that regular stiff MTB shoes are plentiful. I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say about this.

My initial reaction, although I've not done the TDR yet, would be to wear the shoes you are most comfortable in when riding to avoid any foot issues. If you haven't any issues with your current shoes, I would wear those. Can always bring along a pair of flip flops or something for camp.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 12:21:53 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 12:21:53 PM »

I went into 2014 with the exact same logic. However, reality set in as soon as I had to push through tons of snow. Make sure you can walk next to and push a loaded bike for hours, up grades. Whitefish divide/Red Meadow/Richmond peak did my ankles in. Good luck in your preparation!

Steve

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #29 on: October 23, 2016, 10:47:34 PM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2016, 10:47:34 PM »

Question about shoes:

I posted recently on the Facebook page about shoes:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/228009294199842/search/?query=gear%20review

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 07:42:40 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 07:42:40 AM »

My personal preference is flat pedals (Wellgo MG-5) with a good lightweight hiking shoe. Good hiking shoes provide a lot of support. I also take crocs for wet areas and they stick to the flat pedals very well.

If I'm on my road bike or out playing around on a mountain bike though, I will use clip in shoes. But after 12 hours on a bike when your legs are toast, unclipping can be difficult.

Expect the unexpected. The one thing that you didn't think of can be the one thing that can cause issues.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 09:40:15 AM
Super Grover

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 09:40:15 AM »

bakerjw,   you hit the nail on the head with your comment about unclipping after 12 hours in the saddle and your legs are toast!!  On an attempt to ride from Port Angeles to Bellingham last year I started in the dark and it was dark when I started across the bridge over Deception Pass.  Should have just kept riding but I slowed down to see where I was supposed to get on the walkway and  reached out to grab the rail and figure things out.  Did I mention that it was dark?  I missed the rail and being out of gas I didn't get unclipped and did a perfect impression of the guy tipping over on his trike on Rowan and Martins comedy show years ago.  I laid there for a few seconds trying to figure out what had just happened and then I tried to unclip and get the bike away from me.  Don't know how long I wallowed around trying to get up before I realized there was a car stopped about 15 feet back from me!!  I don't know if they were sitting there feeling sorry for me or about to die laughing but at the moment I was wishing they would just run over me and put me out of my misery.  The driver flashed his lights a few times and then waited for me to get my act together.  Long story short, being and old geezer, I am going to either get flat pedals or at the least, flats that you can clip to your bike so you can ride either way if you are tired or the trail is getting sketchy. 

Larry

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 04:47:18 AM
vmjim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 04:47:18 AM »

For flat pedals, I recommend looking at Pedaling Innovations. They are very large and accommodate my size 13 hiking shoe. As an older gentleman on the TD, I find myself walking more often than I care to admit.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #33 on: October 25, 2016, 06:41:46 PM
Lederman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2016, 06:41:46 PM »

Thank you all for the shoe discussion.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 09:23:15 AM
MikPat

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »

If you're taking the bike on the plane with you, don't seal the box until TSA has inspected it.  I had to open mine (at Pittsburgh, PA) so they could run the explosive sniffer wand through it.  TSA require that they reseal the box with their tape (it's marked TSA so the box shouldn't be reopened in transit).  The box survived one transfer without too much damage.  One the other hand, a guy who arrived in Calgary at the same time I did had his mangled pretty bad.

TSA also asked if I had CO2 and batteries in the box.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 09:35:07 AM
MikPat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 09:35:07 AM »

Learn "nerve gliding" for the ulnar nerve (wrist).  I (and a lot of others) had my pinky and ring finger on both hands go numb by Eureka, MT (day 3).  Full feeling didn't return until about 4 weeks after I got home.  I didn't experience this on previous week-long rides so it was something I was totally unprepared for.

My toes also went numb, but that happens fairly often for me so I knew how to deal with it (massage).

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 09:44:14 AM
MikPat

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 09:44:14 AM »

bakerjw: I did read your write up and thoroughly enjoyed it. Just curious as to why you're choosing to start so soon after the GP? I'm planning on racing it next year, and would love to start with everyone else, but because of various family obligations, I won't be able to start until a couple days after the GP at the very earliest. I'm considering starting even a month later. The purity of riding it solo is enticing, but also a little unnerving. Would appreciate your take.
Even if you begin with the GD you're going to be doing the VAST majority of your riding solo.  It is, however, nice to meet up with other riders at stores, in towns, etc. 

Try to do as much of your training rides as you can in your local version of "wilderness" so that you get used to not seeing other people for hours at a time.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #37 on: October 28, 2016, 10:05:00 AM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »

Even if you begin with the GD you're going to be doing the VAST majority of your riding solo.  It is, however, nice to meet up with other riders at stores, in towns, etc.  

Try to do as much of your training rides as you can in your local version of "wilderness" so that you get used to not seeing other people for hours at a time.
Ha, I'm quite the introvert, so not seeing other people for hours at a time is a plus! I prefer riding/training alone, but it would be nice to have the comfort of other riders at the start, especially through bear country. But the section I'm most looking forward to is going through the basin by myself.

And I should add that having the opportunity to meet some amazing people is worth the GD.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #38 on: October 28, 2016, 12:44:03 PM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2016, 12:44:03 PM »

Hi everyone,
I read all these posts and appreciate everyone's input!

I'm usually reading in the background.

I've made two previous attempts at the route but didn't succeed.

I didn't think I would try again, but it would be nice to be successful!

Some progress with gear and fitness so maybe "third times a charm...."

I'm working on a set of elevation profiles and cues, and though perhaps they won't be of any use to others,  I figured I would attach a sample.

If it's useful to anyone, I'd like to feel it's available.

Main purpose is NOT for navigation,  it's simply to get an overall idea of distances and elevation changes between resupply locations.

Secondary purpose is just for interest.  

Lots of items in the "cues" that really don't matter, but it gives you something to watch for as you ride.

Not sure I would print this, maybe view on my phone, or perhaps print back to back, 2 per page,  to have an actual copy to read as I ride.
(one page at a time)

I don't have the kind of INTEL about campgrounds and water sources that some others have.

I know some folks don't like to share their secrets,  I totally get that.

But if anyone DOES have information they are willing to share, and you want to include it in this file, pass it on!

The work involved here is 99% done , some simple programming to automate the process, now I'm just kind of following the line and adding information to the "point of interest" database.
(subjective, I know!)

No set ideas about format, etc.  

This will no doubt evolve over time, it's early and I'm just getting started.

This is also metric, but, if I felt anyone was actually wanting to use this and wanted miles and feet,  it's a cinch to create an IMPERIAL version.

Work in progress,  you can respond to me directly if you want updates.  

I don't want to spam the forum with stuff that readers don't need to see!

Best wishes to everyone with their planning and training!

Tom

* cues.pdf (204.84 KB - downloaded 383 times.)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 Race Preparation Reply #39 on: October 28, 2016, 05:34:07 PM
MikPat

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2016, 05:34:07 PM »

Just in case someone isn’t aware, there are a couple of excellent Facebook groups:

Endurance Rides and Bikepacking:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/ultraride/

Tour Divide Race 2017 - Racer Updates, Pics, Gear, Resources:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/825014527629477/
  Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: