Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 41
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #480 on: June 21, 2017, 07:18:21 AM
WatermelonSugar

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: June 21, 2017, 07:18:21 AM »

The stupidity of some drivers out there plus news of cyclists deaths like Mike Hall, Eric Fishbein, and Michele Scarponi has really put me off riding on roads. I just don't want to mix with traffic. On my commute to work it doesn't seem to matter how well lit up I am with lights reflective clothing etc. there always seems to be idiots who either choose to drive aggressively or just don't pay attention. The other side of the coin of course is that in events like this endurance riders are at their limits and may not fully have their wits about them either. The really sad thing is that people are paying with their lives. RIP to our comrades and let's hope there are no more fatalities.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:22:22 AM by WatermelonSugar » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #481 on: June 21, 2017, 07:51:45 AM
Redpath

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 21, 2017, 07:51:45 AM »

Don't forget Dave Blumenthal killed by a truck in 2010. The only TD causality-so far. Although Josh Kato had a narrow escape last year with a truck that apparently targeted him. It messed his knee up which seems to be still bothering him. Sad. Everyone is scared of bears. Should be scared of vehicles and kitted out accordingly-bright colors, reflective patches/strips and blinky lights. America is a deadly place for cyclists and will most likely remain so-even in the back country. Being seen is job 1.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #482 on: June 21, 2017, 07:54:52 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 21, 2017, 07:54:52 AM »

Don't forget Dave Blumenthal killed by a truck in 2010. The only TD causality-so far. Although Josh Kato had a narrow escape last year with a truck that apparently targeted him. It messed his knee up which seems to be still bothering him. Sad. Everyone is scared of bears. Should be scared of vehicles and kitted out accordingly-bright colors, reflective patches/strips and blinky lights. America is a deadly place for cyclists and will most likely remain so-even in the back country. Being seen is job 1.

I met Dave at the Y on Banff in 2010 - absolutely incredible guy.  Just to clarify, though, the report I recall is that Dave was going downhill at a good clip and swerved around a puddle.  The truck had seen him and was stopped when he hit it.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #483 on: June 21, 2017, 07:56:48 AM
megand

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 21, 2017, 07:56:48 AM »

Arthur Kopatsy dropped his spot at the bottom of Lynx Pass - when he realised and when back to retrieve it, he discovered it had been run over by a car and smashed.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #484 on: June 21, 2017, 08:02:49 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: June 21, 2017, 08:02:49 AM »

#TourDivide17 Rick Ashton called in from Squirrel Creek Lodge and Eddie O'Dea called in from Brush Mountain Lodge!

http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td17/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #485 on: June 21, 2017, 08:26:22 AM
Redpath

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 21, 2017, 08:26:22 AM »

I met Dave at the Y on Banff in 2010 - absolutely incredible guy.  Just to clarify, though, the report I recall is that Dave was going downhill at a good clip and swerved around a puddle.  The truck had seen him and was stopped when he hit it.

“What happened was they were on a narrow mountain dirt road, and he was riding in the opposite lane and collided with the side of a pickup that was coming in the opposite direction on a curve.” … [Police] determined Blumenthal was riding in the opposite lane based on where the bicycle, Blumenthal and the truck came to rest.

only witness was the driver....

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #486 on: June 21, 2017, 08:29:11 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: June 21, 2017, 08:29:11 AM »

How much additional mileage is there with the reroute in northern New Mexico?  How is everyone notified?

That's one reason we collect people's cell #'s.  Most riders seem to check their phones out there these days.

The rest is up to the magic of one Matthew Lee.  His seven (right?) years on the divide (plus 6 or 7 more running the race) means he knows many folks that live or work (managers, etc) along the route.  Right now, for example, there is a message for all riders at the Platoro Lodge about the reroute.

Loading up the fire perimeters layer on the tracker I'm concerned about the fire SW of Pie Town, and the multiple fires getting very close to the Geronimo Trail in the Gila.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #487 on: June 21, 2017, 08:38:17 AM
pbarsom

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 21, 2017, 08:38:17 AM »

Good luck to Ben dealing with that frame.  Lots of rough sections to go but I'm especially wondering how the washboard between Grants and Pie Town will affect it.  Anybody have any idea if/how he's patched it? 

- When you do something, you should burn yourself completely, like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself – Shunryu Suzuki

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #488 on: June 21, 2017, 09:46:14 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: June 21, 2017, 09:46:14 AM »

#TourDivide17 Peter Kraft called in from Steamboat Springs!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #489 on: June 21, 2017, 10:10:32 AM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 21, 2017, 10:10:32 AM »

The stupidity of some drivers out there plus news of cyclists deaths like Mike Hall, Eric Fishbein, and Michele Scarponi has really put me off riding on roads. I just don't want to mix with traffic. On my commute to work it doesn't seem to matter how well lit up I am with lights reflective clothing etc. there always seems to be idiots who either choose to drive aggressively or just don't pay attention. The other side of the coin of course is that in events like this endurance riders are at their limits and may not fully have their wits about them either. The really sad thing is that people are paying with their lives. RIP to our comrades and let's hope there are no more fatalities.

AZ DOT publishes a study every year on all sorts of traffic accident including bicycles.  It is about 50 pages of accident statistics and they do break out bicycles.  They look at it from every angle.  The worst times for accidents is commute hours.  Urban areas are much less safe than rural.  The worst day and time is Saturdays early in the evening.  Holidays such as Forth of July, Labor Day and Memorial Day also have spikes.  This matches my experience closely.  Since I moved to Phoenix my road bike is used very little.  I spend my time on the Fargo and fat bike avoiding streets as much as possible.  After several close calls with 80 year old snowbirds in their mega RVs I am touring off road more these days.  Maricopa County had just under 1,000 accidents involving bicycles in 2015, that is enough to make a coward out of anyone.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #490 on: June 21, 2017, 10:29:44 AM
jjmundt

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 21, 2017, 10:29:44 AM »

That's one reason we collect people's cell #'s.  Most riders seem to check their phones out there these days.

The rest is up to the magic of one Matthew Lee.  His seven (right?) years on the divide (plus 6 or 7 more running the race) means he knows many folks that live or work (managers, etc) along the route.  Right now, for example, there is a message for all riders at the Platoro Lodge about the reroute.

Loading up the fire perimeters layer on the tracker I'm concerned about the fire SW of Pie Town, and the multiple fires getting very close to the Geronimo Trail in the Gila.

Here's a website with some additional information on the "Corral" fire, which is getting pretty close to Black Canyon Campground and the route.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/unit/3178/

EDIT:  LOVE the fire layer on the TrackLeaders site!!  I had never messed with the Layers before.

Mtn: 2015 Surly Krampus Ops
Road: 2012 Cannondale Synapse Carbon

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #491 on: June 21, 2017, 10:44:31 AM
jjmundt

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 21, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »

AZ DOT publishes a study every year on all sorts of traffic accident including bicycles.  It is about 50 pages of accident statistics and they do break out bicycles.  They look at it from every angle.  The worst times for accidents is commute hours.  Urban areas are much less safe than rural.  The worst day and time is Saturdays early in the evening.  Holidays such as Forth of July, Labor Day and Memorial Day also have spikes.  This matches my experience closely.  Since I moved to Phoenix my road bike is used very little.  I spend my time on the Fargo and fat bike avoiding streets as much as possible.  After several close calls with 80 year old snowbirds in their mega RVs I am touring off road more these days.  Maricopa County had just under 1,000 accidents involving bicycles in 2015, that is enough to make a coward out of anyone.

Having ridden a few miles in Phoenix (our son lives in Scottsdale), I can vouch for your comments.  Even good drivers that aren't distracted still have to focus on a million other cars.  And from a driver's perspective, it's easier to prioritize the 4,000-pound car over a 200-pound man-bike combo.  That's why I tell my wife that, while I have every right to cycle on the street, it's just better to cycle someplace else whenever possible.  She likes that. Smiley

I would also add that mild winters in southern locales allow year-round cycling, while here in Iowa 8-9 months of riding is more the norm.  That probably also skews the numbers a bit.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #492 on: June 21, 2017, 11:07:29 AM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 21, 2017, 11:07:29 AM »

Hi Dave,
I live in Phoenix as well (Northwest Peoria). I ride my road bike a ton. I ride (mostly) Lake Pleasant parkway/Wickenburg. I agree that the Arizona roadways are insanely dangerous. The area I ride is almost at the edge of town. I fear for only a few miles until I get out to Wildhorse West. From there, its safe, open and the shoulder is a full lane wide. don't give up!! there are plenty of places to ride safely.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #493 on: June 21, 2017, 11:25:38 AM
jjmundt

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 21, 2017, 11:25:38 AM »

Hi Dave,
I live in Phoenix as well (Northwest Peoria). I ride my road bike a ton. I ride (mostly) Lake Pleasant parkway/Wickenburg. I agree that the Arizona roadways are insanely dangerous. The area I ride is almost at the edge of town. I fear for only a few miles until I get out to Wildhorse West. From there, its safe, open and the shoulder is a full lane wide. don't give up!! there are plenty of places to ride safely.

I've not ridden it, but I've driven on the NW side up on Bush Hwy and Usery Pass Road.  There are some nice climbs and undulations and, for rural roads, they have really nice shoulders for cycling.  Any every once in a while we encounter cyclists on Hwy 87 between Phoenix and Payson.  THAT's some stout climbing and might make for good TD training. Smiley

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #494 on: June 21, 2017, 12:20:10 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: June 21, 2017, 12:20:10 PM »

#TourDivide17 Andrew Stauffer called in from Kremling!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #495 on: June 21, 2017, 12:54:14 PM
gringo

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: June 21, 2017, 12:54:14 PM »

Jay left Banff on his ITT two days after the Grand Depart and is in seventh on the map at this moment. daily reminder of his ability to crush all comers.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #496 on: June 21, 2017, 12:57:45 PM
bmattingly44@yahoo.com

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 21, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »

Mark C.

You are the man!  I checked your location last night and wondered if you would push on to Brush Mtn.  Great job.  You are putting in some serious miles.  Its awesome that you keep doing something you are passionate about.  I cheered you when I read you made it that late into the night.

Awesome!!  Keep rollin!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #497 on: June 21, 2017, 02:19:24 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: June 21, 2017, 02:19:24 PM »

#TourDivide17 Randy Neill called in from Lima and Brett Stepanik called in from Steamboat Springs!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #498 on: June 21, 2017, 02:41:13 PM
WatermelonSugar

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 21, 2017, 02:41:13 PM »

Jay left Banff on his ITT two days after the Grand Depart and is in seventh on the map at this moment. daily reminder of his ability to crush all comers.
And he still has time to take photos along the way!!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2017 - race discussion thread Reply #499 on: June 21, 2017, 04:01:00 PM
silvercitybiker

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 21, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »

If Jay Petervary began two days after the grand depart, why is his total elapsed time within just a few hours of the riders who began 48 hours earlier?
  Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 41
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: