Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1820 on: August 22, 2015, 06:54:02 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1820 on: August 22, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »

Oh pooo

Looks like heavy cloud/rain cover over Leal - so says weather radar. So much for the no rain forecast earlier. Speed down to 0.9 mph at 7:50 pm her time.

Let's hope for the best

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1821 on: August 23, 2015, 03:22:04 AM
Mojo

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: August 23, 2015, 03:22:04 AM »

The NWS forecast has had storms and potential heavy rain in the weekend forecast for days. Unfortunately it came to fruition Saturday night. It was a wet night in southern New Mexico. In the Gila it started raining at Lake Roberts at 7PM and by 8:30, 0.20 inches had fallen. The Silver City airport had rain from 7:30 until nearly 10PM recording an amazing, frightening 2.96 inches.
http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=KSVC&time=GMT

Last night it looks like Lael was flying on the good road towards Lake Roberts with speeds between 8-13 mph. Then she turned south off the good road at 12:30 AM. She must have hit mud. She slogged her way southward until nearly 2 AM before she decided to take a break and get some rest. Between 12:30 and 2AM, she traveled less than 4 miles. At 4AM it is still raining at Lake Roberts and radar shows more rain working in from the east. At 4:30 she started moving again. It is cool there but not cold, 58 degrees at Lake Roberts.
http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=EPZ02&time=GMT

The NWS is talking about the potential for heavy rain and strong storms especially tonight.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:13:22 AM by Mojo » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1822 on: August 23, 2015, 09:17:25 AM
MikeI

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: August 23, 2015, 09:17:25 AM »

The NWS is talking about the potential for heavy rain and strong storms especially tonight.

Lael is rolling along on Separ Road right now, she's going to be done by sundown. Wow !!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1823 on: August 23, 2015, 11:16:03 AM
AZAnn

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: August 23, 2015, 11:16:03 AM »

Gotta say Lael is a Superwoman.  You can't get much more solo than this effort.  It must get so lonely out there.  Super athletic ability plus super mental focus equals  superhuman outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1824 on: August 23, 2015, 01:37:36 PM
Aurora

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: August 23, 2015, 01:37:36 PM »

so true!
This is a pretty amazing push.
Right on Lael!

Gotta say Lael is a Superwoman.  You can't get much more solo than this effort.  It must get so lonely out there.  Super athletic ability plus super mental focus equals  superhuman outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1825 on: August 23, 2015, 04:07:48 PM
ridingman1

Drinkin' upstream from the herd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1825 on: August 23, 2015, 04:07:48 PM »

and as quietly as she started her second TDR this year, Lael will finish, setting yet another woman's record, and a record for the first rider to ride the TDR both as a rookie and a veteran in the same year. I hope there is someone to greet her at the finish - or will she just turn around and ride back?!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1826 on: August 23, 2015, 04:13:27 PM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: August 23, 2015, 04:13:27 PM »

and as quietly as she started her second TDR this year, Lael will finish, setting yet another woman's record, and a record for the first rider to ride the TDR both as a rookie and a veteran in the same year. I hope there is someone to greet her at the finish - or will she just turn around and ride back?!
She will have someone waiting for her and from what I gather she doesn't know so it will be a great surprise.
https://gypsybytrade.wordpress.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1827 on: August 23, 2015, 04:45:36 PM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1827 on: August 23, 2015, 04:45:36 PM »

Great effort Lael!

You crushed it! Smiley

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1828 on: August 23, 2015, 05:43:16 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1828 on: August 23, 2015, 05:43:16 PM »

Such an impressive display of riding. Way to go Lael, Congrats!! To say she has her system dialed is quite the understatement.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1829 on: August 23, 2015, 08:27:35 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1829 on: August 23, 2015, 08:27:35 PM »

Huge congrats Lael.  Wow.  You moved the state of the art in bikepack racing forward not just one or two levels, but several.  So impressive to see.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1830 on: August 23, 2015, 08:55:42 PM
BanffCrazyLarry

Everyone has an Everest. Every Everest is Special!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1830 on: August 23, 2015, 08:55:42 PM »

Congratulations Lael Wilcox !

Your enduring pushes, seemingly limitless persevering heart, courage of a lion, slugging it through the most frustrating sticky mud around on the planet, dark nights of steep hilly climbs will be yours to savour when thinking of what can I do next?

Kudos to such an adventurous courageous girl.
Setting this World Record was a daunting task at hand.
However, through your believing it can be done, you got the task at hand dream of doing DONE DEAL!

MISSION Accomplished !

I can hardly wait to read in your words what it was like - the why's? the where you found the courage to push?
I will wait, patiently.
As I go for some of my rides I WILL always think of the courageous riders who have laid down something to think about; to dream about; to ponder of what truly " Can be " If one only keeps believing.

You really proved the point.
Any think is possible! Oh Wow Lael !

My heartfelt Thank You's go out to you!!
Thanks for not giving up!
You would have spoiled my every hard dreamed of pushes in my days to come!  thumbsup

By - the - way!
What's next?
Please, email me FAST - when you get the chance for an interview - k?  Wink
bigbearhi@gmail.com

{Tidbit: Sorry I missed your START}
Recovering from my accident I'm still not out of the woods with bad sleep habits...I slept in.  icon_scratch

Think of a thought.
(something your shooting for that’s worthy or to do some good)

Now just Imagine.
FEEL THE GLORY?
OF accomplishing the task.

IF YOU CAN FEEL IT.
“YOU CAN DO IT”

NEVER Stop Dreaming.
Always Keep Believing!
You can.
If you think you can.
Never ‘EVER’ Give up!

Enj

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1831 on: August 23, 2015, 08:57:48 PM
BanffCrazyLarry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1831 on: August 23, 2015, 08:57:48 PM »

Congratulations Lael Wilcox !

Your enduring pushes, seemingly limitless persevering heart, courage of a lion, slugging it through the most frustrating sticky mud around on the planet, dark nights of steep hilly climbs will be yours to savour when thinking of what can I do next?

Kudos to such an adventurous courageous girl.
Setting this World Record was a daunting task at hand.
However, through your believing it can be done, you got the task at hand dream of doing DONE DEAL!

MISSION Accomplished !

I can hardly wait to read in your words what it was like - the why's? the where you found the courage to push?
I will wait, patiently.
As I go for some of my rides I WILL always think of the courageous riders who have laid down something to think about; to dream about; to ponder of what truly " Can be " If one only keeps believing.

You really proved the point.
Any thing is possible!
And raised the level of what can be done with believing.
Oh Wow Lael ! Love ya for THAT!

My heartfelt Thank You's go out to you!!
Thanks for not giving up!
You would have spoiled my every hard dreamed of pushes in my days to come!  thumbsup

By - the - way!
What's next?
Please, email me FAST - when you get the chance for an interview - k?  Wink
bigbearhi@gmail.com

{Tidbit: Sorry I missed your START}
Recovering from my accident I'm still not out of the woods with bad sleep habits...I slept in.  icon_scratch

* billowy clouds Never Stop smaller.jpg (57.95 KB, 500x333 - viewed 1661 times.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:15:29 AM by BanffCrazyLarry » Logged

Think of a thought.

Now just Imagine.
FEEL THE GLORY?

IF YOU CAN FEEL IT.
“YOU CAN DO IT”

NEVER Stop Dreaming.
Always Keep Believing!
You can.
If you think you can.
Never ‘EVER’ Give up!

Enj

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1832 on: August 23, 2015, 09:14:39 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: August 23, 2015, 09:14:39 PM »

Amazing performance Lael. Super inspiring to watch your rides this summer. Nice Work!!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1833 on: August 24, 2015, 12:01:26 AM
kato

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1833 on: August 24, 2015, 12:01:26 AM »

Huge congratulations to Lael!  Turned me into a bit of dot junkie for a couple weeks.

It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.

http://faroutwanderings.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1834 on: August 24, 2015, 06:06:19 AM
Donald

View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: August 24, 2015, 06:06:19 AM »

There is a lot of discussion about whether women are at a disadvantage to men in ultra endurance sporting events. This year's TD offers some interesting points for discussion. Not only did we see an outstanding performance from Lael Wilcox which placed her in the small group of elite racers, but the overall performance of the women is worth noting. Among the eleven women who finished, the average time was 19.67 days. For the 73 men who finished, the average time was 22.59 days. The women's average is lowered by two very fast times from Lael, but it is nevertheless clear that the women this year were as fast, or faster than the men. At least, it is difficult to argue that there was a category difference between the two sexes. Is it perhaps time to "retire" the women's record with Lael as the last holder and henceforth just have one race and one record?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1835 on: August 29, 2015, 06:29:01 PM
Rorr

View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: August 29, 2015, 06:29:01 PM »

Just saw the unicycle dude zipping down 129 heading into Steamboat. Go Adam!

Robert Orr

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1836 on: August 30, 2015, 03:04:25 AM
BanffCrazyLarry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1836 on: August 30, 2015, 03:04:25 AM »

Donald
What do you mean?
Sorry not getting the last point.  icon_scratch
Is it perhaps time to "retire" the women's record with Lael as the last holder and henceforth just have one race and one record?

What Lael did will (for sure) be known and remembered as a global feat. Especially, in the "Ultra Community"
She has laid down a NEW benchmark for women in the world to learn from; possibly strive for; and to seek a higher personal challenge for themselves.
The mental stamina necessary for such feats is astonishingly hard and tough to achieve.

With NO stages, with seemingly NO end to cycling of what some that do stage racing call a day of riding, NO chase vehicle, NO support, battling the odds at any given moment (day/night) of various serious severe weather challenge extremes, its a no wonder it is touted at " The World's Most Toughest Race "
 Giving GREAT Kudos to other races technical with severe weather challenges and technical terrain; but they all come to a known days end is NOT to be ignored, here. That's why, it becomes a questionable debate. I believe, one is tougher on the grounds of duration under duress of stress.

thumbsup The heartiest of Congratulations to her !!!  thumbsup  
Makes me want to feel that elation that she must have felt for knowing she could do this, from within! Wiow! Awesomely inspiring!!!! Impressive effort! Tough as a women can be!

AS long as there is sport ~ competition will always be there.
It has long been engrained into our societal ways. Almost our DNA.

Some might do it for sport to see if they can be faster go longer go farther be better. Some might do it out of being competitive in nature. Meaning, I think I can beat you. It could be a combination of the above.
Some might do it just for the challenge, itself.
However of that, "Every one" deserves the chance~! {That is 'the why?' I AM such a HUGE Proponent of organizations like: "The Right to Play" } headbang

That being said, there is an underlying spirit of a higher regard that lies amongst the fraternity of what some may call Ultra Cyclist. I believe, its the camaraderie of respecting each other for taking on such personal challenges, also. Seeing someone else do the same challenge a mutual bond is made internally, intuitively I believe.
 I try my best to promote that as best I can amongst the cyclist in the cycling world. As best as I can with the TDR. That thought process coming from my personal thoughts ~ that We "Really" ARE " ALL " on the same team. {at - the - end - the day talking about things}

Sport allows us to strive. To learn patience. To learn persistence. To learn things like Perseverance, struggle, hardship, and the pride in personal achievement. Hence, The glorious moment. Yahoo! I DID it !

The glorious moment, (for some) is and becomes "life altering" when the struggle is so great that it has surpassed any personal challenge before hand some glorious moments turn into " Feats " " Epic moments in time " in the lifetime personal to that individual.  

However, of that.
Success as it is known then becomes a skewed subject matter. Much of the time compared to those around us. Validated by many things common in society. As we go through life and learn, observe, grow with NEW knowledge and understanding of things some may come to decipher things in a different light.

As I have come to know success in my life.....

" Success does not require you to look out the window " {comparing one's efforts with another .... as we have been taught growing up }
" It only, requires one to look in the mirror "

Many of the answer one seeks can simply be found by looking in the mirror.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have this saying: I hope you like it?

You may fool the whole world,
Down the pathway of life,
And get pats on your back as you pass.

But the fellow who's verdict,
Counts most in your life,
Is the one starring back from the glass.

*** Ultra Cyclist and cycling enthusiast alike ~ See you at the Grand Depart START "each year" in Banff, Alberta - Canada. I'll be waiting to greet you!  Wink

* billowy clouds Never Stop smaller.jpg (57.95 KB, 500x333 - viewed 1030 times.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 03:35:29 AM by BanffCrazyLarry » Logged

Think of a thought.

Now just Imagine.
FEEL THE GLORY?

IF YOU CAN FEEL IT.
“YOU CAN DO IT”

NEVER Stop Dreaming.
Always Keep Believing!
You can.
If you think you can.
Never ‘EVER’ Give up!

Enj

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1837 on: August 30, 2015, 04:40:40 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: August 30, 2015, 04:40:40 AM »

Hi Larry,

I think Donald's point is that there is no discernible difference between the genders in terms of perfprmance, so why have a separate category?  The TD does not recognize age differences, so why gender?

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1838 on: August 30, 2015, 01:10:57 PM
BanffCrazyLarry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1838 on: August 30, 2015, 01:10:57 PM »

Hi Larry,

I think Donald's point is that there is no discernible difference between the genders in terms of perfprmance, so why have a separate category?  The TD does not recognize age differences, so why gender?

I got it!
I can hardly believe, I didn't catch that.
It was late ..... Smiley

If I may dabble into my perspective on this subject area....
Sorry if I bore anyone. Just a rebuttal about the subject.

Regardless of race, creed, colour, heterosexual or gay, black or white.....female or male ~ We ALL live on earth, have to exist. Eat, crap and rest.
How you spend your time on this earth is of your own choice. To quote the movie "Lord of the Rings" ~ When Ghandolf replied to Frotto " All you have to think about Frotto is " What will you do with the time that has been given to "YOU". {my personal rebuttal: "Will you follow others? Will you lead the way with doing whats healthy for you and others? Will you? Are you strong enough? or have you fallen prey to influence?? }

Carrying on with the subject at hand...... Wink

I believe, in the spirit of "We ARE truly ALL on the Same Team" there would seemingly be an equality that abides in saying there is no discernible difference. A wholesome feeling of fairness of true camaraderie. A sense of the Ultra Cycling Community bonding.

But.....

As we know it. As we were raised. As we have come to learn. There are marked differences in the physical makeup of humans.  THAT, very much a debatable fact due to women pushing the boundaries in fairness of equality. After all they literally bare our kids.

Having said that when factoring in age with where we are suppose to be at in life; also factoring societies rules of categorizing performance compared to age there is this unforgiving grey area but clear to some "You are what you feel"
 " You feel young...You'll stay young " Act young, feel young. Stay spirited stay young. Those areas, in our life time are newly documented as true. To those who live it...the proof is undeniable.

Much research has been done in this area of personal psychological feelings having a direct bearing on our physical state. Your mental state compared to where your physical state has arrived is a very seemingly elusive contentious issue.
In saying that, there seems to be much governance influential ways of what society comes to bare as normal; as the standard that one is suppose to go by in life and as I would call, generic thinking.

Now if you talking about social science, quantitative research evidently requires categorization; it is the search for relationships among classes of things.
In applied philosophy/ethics, most of the discussion is about categories that can be defined by things of what is thought to be necessary and sufficient conditions, e.g., abortion, war, marriage.
 I believe, when thinking about categories allows what I call “the switching of arguments."

For instance, when you decide what is good about heterosexual marriages, and if the same reasons apply to gay marriages, you should favor them as well. By thinking categorically, you can switch from one case to another.

AT the end of the day....{to me} the crux of this thinking becomes a person's " individual personal Perspective " How each person is going to look decipher an official time record. World Record or not it more than likely will be an individual personal effort that got them there. Whether team, organized or paid for. Your past - what you've gone through - what you've been exposed to - your foundation background will pave the way to your personal opinion. Your personal sense of elation.

So who's better best doing the Tour Divide? It then becomes an contentious issue/point.
Many might say "just to finish" is a feat in of itself. I believe, that WHOLE heartedly!!!

*** We might think to rejoice in the glory that we just finished some thing that seemed beyond our means; that seemed and felt scary; that left us full of anxiety; full of one of the most exciting feelings in our life times!
Like rolling the dice ~ on the Tour Divide Route anything can happen. With the serious extreme weather some endure, the wildlife close call potential encounters, the detrimental factors of physical exertion under such varied harsh weather conditions, mental duress and stress surpassing most anticipated feelings...its all there. And.... "You finished!" Rejoice. You DID it ! No one can ever take that away from you.

That effort whomever has performed accomplished it has this validation admiration of friends family (the media) and the grey area, society universally in agreement. Maybe yes? Maybe no?

Perspective - a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view; a personal interpretation to what someone has done or someone has viewed.

In saying that.....

The rules I believe, just stop us all from getting along. In every case, they cause us to separate ourselves from getting along being more compassionate the very core of our DNA of every individual out there. Born.

Categorizing if there is to be a class in a hierarchy of sorts for whose who whose better also separates us but there again the effort defines us individually. All be it the consistent argument of being on the same playing field that lingers in many comparable sports; that is to brag bolster get kudos for something done that was of the same circumstances.

When doing something Ultra and Epic there must be a relentless passion. Otherwise, if a rational person attempted such a feat they would surely give up. Because they did not have the mental spirited push that seems to accompany anyone loving what they do.

Feel young your spirit tells your brain physically to catch up 'anything' that is possible becomes possible.
 Hence, where my saying " Everyone has an Everest" " Every Everest is Special "

So....

If one feels in their perspective someone is a hero they are!
If some one feels in the competitive sense they accomplished a given task / challenge in a very fair non-drug induced way on the same playing field then they won; they are successful.
Validation might better be heartfelt if one keeps the original goal personal.

So......

Bravo!
 Super Kudo's to you Lael Wilcox for having the determination relentless pursuit drive to get to where " You knew you CAN do this! "
 Congratulations!!!
 Your definitely in the " Wow Class Acts in life!!! "
 For THAT, you have my undying respect and admiration.  
 Your Feat will always be on the back of my mind.

On all my lonely rides when inspiration is necessary I will remember the feats of the " many " who have paved the way before my go of the TDR.
I do not forget and can not forget all those women who came before you. Who paved the way, who took the chance like any one person does with the crap shoot of finding out what their personal body limitations are?? Those that will come after you. Those that may read this and be inspired by your CraZzzy AmaZzzing pushes in the dark cold of rainy nights pushing pedaling up steep climbs. They will all do so with the feelings that if you can do it so can we. Bravo! That is SUCH The GOOD mark to leave!  thumbsup

We "ALL" are doing what we love when we give up so much time and effort just to arrive in Banff, Alberta - Canada Grand Depart START. To participate in the gathering of such spirited like minded individuals who's bond goes deeper than words.
 We are a fraternity unto ourselves in this life.

Like oil surfaces on water - ALL who have taken on one of the World's toughest challenges will all be changed better people for the challenge.

To Quote one of the amazing books veteran rider of the TDR " Jill Homer " wrote:

When thinking of what's crazy....
 All one has to do, is to shift their perspective to realize that most of their actions can be viewed as crazy. Its crazy, I thought, that most people spend most of their lives in pursuit of complications as love and wealth when they could enjoy a simple life of moving and existing - possibly the true path to happiness.

*Special mention always to those behind the scenes who track us, Scott Morris, Matthew Lee.

* BIG Kudos SHOUT OUT to Joe Polk who's relentless hidden efforts is the guy who is the solid Super friendly 1 - 800 "Call-in" answering guy (*24/7) that listens to our " Each" and "Every" personal call and documents them nicely as podcasts on his MTB Cast website. When the chips are down; when the chips are in your favour and your meeting nice people on the route; having the greatest of times; toughest of times; trust me " WE ALL would LOVE to hear from you!!! "

You CALL-in's allow us at home on the computer to feel what its like "where ever " your at WE'RE THERE WITH YOU - THANKS to Joe Polk's MTB Cast!

Thanks Joe!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:58:14 PM by BanffCrazyLarry » Logged

Think of a thought.

Now just Imagine.
FEEL THE GLORY?

IF YOU CAN FEEL IT.
“YOU CAN DO IT”

NEVER Stop Dreaming.
Always Keep Believing!
You can.
If you think you can.
Never ‘EVER’ Give up!

Enj

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1839 on: August 30, 2015, 04:24:08 PM
Donald

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: August 30, 2015, 04:24:08 PM »

It seems that Lael herself sees the race as "gender neutral". See the comments on this page:
 https://gypsybytrade.wordpress.com/2015/08/16/lw-itt-update-wamsutter-wy/#comments
  Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: