Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 94
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1800 on: August 16, 2015, 08:56:15 PM
fromBrushMtn

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: August 16, 2015, 08:56:15 PM »

Here and gone...with some dinner for the road!!(:
She's awesome!! 

here's a pic...(:

* image.jpg (123.33 KB, 640x640 - viewed 2526 times.)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1801 on: August 17, 2015, 03:15:47 PM
FarleyBob

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: August 17, 2015, 03:15:47 PM »

So if I do the math correctly, she is almost a full day ahead of her pace from the first attempt?  headbang

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1802 on: August 17, 2015, 03:19:38 PM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1802 on: August 17, 2015, 03:19:38 PM »

So if I do the math correctly, she is almost a full day ahead of her pace from the first attempt?  headbang

Yup. And about 1 day behind the men's record, but with the advantage of knowing what target time to shoot for. I bet she has a plan to ramp things up at the end of the ride to try and get the overall.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1803 on: August 17, 2015, 05:01:44 PM
pro_out

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 17, 2015, 05:01:44 PM »

Yup. And about 1 day behind the men's record, but with the advantage of knowing what target time to shoot for. I bet she has a plan to ramp things up at the end of the ride to try and get the overall.

If my math is correct, even if she doesn't sleep anymore she still can not overtake the 3 amigos.

Lone Wolf

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1804 on: August 17, 2015, 05:12:12 PM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1804 on: August 17, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »

If my math is correct, even if she doesn't sleep anymore she still can not overtake the 3 amigos.

I had done no math. I was just being optimistic!

But now that you mentioned it I scratched out the following:

- Lael's avg speed so far including sleeping = 1652m/219hrs = 7.6mph
- avg speed needed to match JK's time = 1100m remaining/128.5hrs = 8.5mph

So she needs to go 1.1mph faster on average to tie the overall record.

I don't know the course well enough to say whether the terrain allows for that without cutting into sleeping [is the southern part of the course slower or faster than the north bit?], but she can sleep less and/or she can ride faster.

It does seem at least possible.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:16:05 PM by vikb » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1805 on: August 17, 2015, 06:18:05 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1805 on: August 17, 2015, 06:18:05 PM »

Hi All,

The Transcontinental Race is done – if you have not considered it I can highly recommend it. Mike Hall has developed a fantastic race concept and it should be on everyone’s ‘to do’ list. www.transcontinental.cc.

Time for a challenge greater than attempting the Tour Divide---getting Tour Dividers to contribute stories for the Cordillera. Volume 7 – to be published around Thanksgiving—will be on the 2015 race. What a race, best conditions in years and results show it. Looking forward to the stories.

Why Contribute?

Three reasons:

•   All the revenue goes to the college fund of Linnaea Blumenthal, whose father Dave was killed in an accident just after Bush Mountain Lodge. To date we have raised over $10,000.
•   We’ve a lot of interest in the Tour Divide after Mike Dion’s film and the book feeds this interest. It is a collage of what happens on the Tour Divide and with each year being different records for posterity the race. I can’t wait to read the stories for 2015.
•   For people who want to race the Tour Divide it’s an invaluable resource for what to expect and planning how to deal with broken bikes, broken bodies and broken spirits. Oh, and for the lucky ones...finishing.

What to Contribute?

Two options.

•   The best is to write a story about what you experienced, what you felt, etc.  I’ve attached JD Paul’s story of braking his frame in NM and how he still finished on it, and Mike Arenberg  as examples. Mike’s story is a good example of why your mother told you to wash your hands after toileting—especially if you have leaking Bear Mace around! 
•   Do an interview. I’ve attached a sample interview template with a few questions—as well as Oliver Whalley’s interview after 2012.

In both cases make it personal and share anecdotes. And don’t forget pictures!

What if I didn’t finish?

Welcome to the club. That was me in 2011 and 2012 before finally cracking the beast in 2013.  You still have a story to share so don’t use that as an excuse 

We also have a section for friends/family contributions under ‘Blue Dot Watchers’ so please see if they will contribute.

The Gear Survey

Please complete the online gear survey at:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2286495/e747bcf18750

This forms an annex to the Cordillera and it is always interesting to see how gear is evolving. The link will be active until mid-October.

Where/How Long/When

Please e-mail me your contribution to cordillera@lpcb.org.

If I could have contributions sooner than later it would be great. A good way to pass the recovery time in Istanbul would be editing the Cordillera. The deadline is the end of September. Two reasons. Main one is that I want to get the book finished in time for US Thanksgiving. It’s a great Christmas present. I’m also on a business trip to the Pacific Islands early October so I have time to work on it nights after work rather than having a life riding my bike or spending time with my wife.

If you can use the attached Word Files as templates it would be great. Otherwise send through a document and I’ll do my best to format it. It’s a big job and it’s helpful if you use these files as samples.

Do I Get a Free Copy

Believe it or not, this question comes up. The editor doesn’t even get one . Besides, what you pay goes to a good cause.

Please Forward This To Any Riders of Blue Dot Watchers

Not everyone puts their e-mails down on the Starter’s List so if you know of riders – or people who enjoyed watching the race – please forward this to them.

Thanks in anticipation for your help with keeping this important project alive.

* Cordillera v4 Ollie.doc (489.5 KB - downloaded 214 times.)
* Cordillera Template.docx (23.9 KB - downloaded 217 times.)
* Cordillera v7 Interview Questions.doc (46.5 KB - downloaded 174 times.)
* Cordillera v5 JD Pauls.docx (161.8 KB - downloaded 183 times.)
* Cordillera v5 Michael Arenberg.docx (210.28 KB - downloaded 187 times.)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1806 on: August 17, 2015, 06:27:15 PM
Aurora

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 17, 2015, 06:27:15 PM »

I had done no math. I was just being optimistic!

But now that you mentioned it I scratched out the following:

- Lael's avg speed so far including sleeping = 1652m/110.75hrs = 14.9mph
- avg speed needed to match JK's time = 1100m remaining/68.75hrs = 16mph

So she needs to go 1.1mph faster on average to tie the overall record.

I don't know the course well enough to say whether the terrain allows for that without cutting into sleeping [is the southern part of the course slower or faster than the north bit?], but she can sleep less and/or she can ride faster.

It does seem at least possible.

I mean.... not everyone rides when they can't breath and are coughing up phlegm (and rides a pretty bad-ass race, round 1).

I'm with you Vik -- it does seem possible!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1807 on: August 17, 2015, 06:45:45 PM
pro_out

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 17, 2015, 06:45:45 PM »

I was hoping Lael could do it, but the mud and GI issues put a damper on that. Her overall avg speed is 7.3 mph and moving ave time is 5.0 mph. At 1100 miles to go and around 5 days left to match time she would need to avg around 9.17 mph with no sleep. Lael still can race for the womens course record.

Lone Wolf

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1808 on: August 17, 2015, 07:05:18 PM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1808 on: August 17, 2015, 07:05:18 PM »

I was hoping Lael could do it, but the mud and GI issues put a damper on that. Her overall avg speed is 7.3 mph and moving ave time is 5.0 mph. At 1100 miles to go and around 5 days left to match time she would need to avg around 9.17 mph with no sleep. Lael still can race for the womens course record.

Her overall avg speed can't be higher than her moving avg speed.

Something is not computing for me.

Her moving and stopped times on Trackleaders don't seem possible so I think something is wrong with the numbers because she didn't have a SPOT for a long time.

I made a mistake in my calcs above, but I have corrected them based on data off the leader board which at least seems possible.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:17:04 PM by vikb » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1809 on: August 17, 2015, 07:57:21 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1809 on: August 17, 2015, 07:57:21 PM »

Using her average overall mph since she got her SPOT (7.28 mph), her projected overall time would be 15 days 4 hours, 32 minutes, assuming things stay the same. (Ha! As in, "What?? Stay the same??!!" ) This uses a course distance of 2,659 miles.

In any case, let's agree that she owns the course this year, regardless.

Boogie Leal, boogie !

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1810 on: August 17, 2015, 08:14:31 PM
pro_out

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 17, 2015, 08:14:31 PM »

[
Using her average overall mph since she got her SPOT (7.28 mph), her projected overall time would be 15 days 4 hours, 32 minutes, assuming things stay the same. (Ha! As in, "What?? Stay the same??!!" ) This uses a course distance of 2,659 miles.

In any case, let's agree that she owns the course this year, regardless.

Boogie Leal, boogie !

you are correct Flinch. Lael owns the T D this year

Lone Wolf

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1811 on: August 18, 2015, 03:12:29 PM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1811 on: August 18, 2015, 03:12:29 PM »

Lael just pulled into Salida 12.5hrs behind Josh Kato's time. Smiley

~845miles to go. Smiley

FWIW Josh got to Salida ~8.5hrs after Jay and then made up that gap and then some in the remaining distance.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:19:43 PM by vikb » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1812 on: August 18, 2015, 05:14:23 PM
BanffCrazyLarry

Everyone has an Everest. Every Everest is Special!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1812 on: August 18, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »

Good point Vic !  thumbsup

Remembering the times of asthma, and still trying to ride forward shows Lael has some what I call 'true TDR grit' to push mentally and if the goal was to finish it SURE showed!  thumbsup

Now, with doing it a 2nd time, knowing she's learned from her 1st with a few talks to boot, I can {only imagine} what must be going through her head knowing deep down inside her "self" that I'm going to DO THIS and DO IT better!!! I believe, is where her head-space is at, right now.

So she's got some pretty GOOD vibes to push her through to the finish.
***And for some of us (out there) one has to come to realize (over so many miles/kilometers) that " ANY thing, can happen on the Divide ! "  Wink

***Weather being such a HUGE HUGE factor in all of what we so easily can state - with our theories.

Fantastic Flinch ProOut Farley etc. have gotten into the Calculations. I thought, I was the only one, (at times) get'n right into this so fully! Way - to - GO !!!  thumbsup
So funny {But SUPER enjoyable!!!} I'm loosing MUCH sleep - ALL over again!  Wink thumbsup headbang I LOVE it though!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BushMountain >Thanks for the posted pictures! LOVE THEM MADLY!!! And help to make the TDR experience of sitting on the edge of my seat - watching at highways edge while cooking my suppers HOTSPOTTING the internet with my phone, to keep track.
You guys / gals truly ROCK and help make the TDR what it is by extending yourselves with your SO SO extraordinary hospitality {so I here  Wink )
I can hardly wait to get to seeing what a GOOD meal of carbs protein calories taste like!!!? Do you have - to GO plates / bags? ? PM me PLEASE !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I included a picture {that for me} was an unforgettable 'eye-opener' of just how tough you have to be with mental push; logistically prepared WELL ! for rain that is !!!! - 6 days of it that year in 2014 Grand Depart START picture was in pouring rain which didn't let up much for an entire 6 days stretch reports were told.

BEST wishes for GREAT pushes Lael !
I'm SOOOOooo on your side with sending some GOOD GOOD GOOOOOOOOOOOD vibes through to you!
GOOD thoughts are going your way from me as you PUSH like NO tomorrow; I'm SURE that you are using all - you - have or can muster.

Congratulations for making it TO Salida and onward !

GO GO GO!  headbang

My prediction: Lael your going to finish nicely! You will be a changed person for the rest - of - your - entire life, too! IN a GOOD way!  thumbsup
                      If ~ Weather stays on your side, your feeling not hampered from your asthma, your fueled up nicely (as you see fit for your needs) and some onboard for the finish push, your going to break your own record.
My guess: You'll be back! {at some - point - in - time}  Wink

* Grant Depart Tour Divide 2014 Buckets of RAIN resize.jpg (381.75 KB, 1459x1094 - viewed 2016 times.)

* Alaskan Girl Lael..jpg (387.25 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 2013 times.)

* Day 10 Stopover Salida.jpg (429.65 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 2017 times.)

* 20150611_172040.jpg (851.26 KB, 2048x1152 - viewed 2059 times.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:32:11 PM by BanffCrazyLarry » Logged

Think of a thought.
(something your shooting for that’s worthy or to do some good)

Now just Imagine.
FEEL THE GLORY?
OF accomplishing the task.

IF YOU CAN FEEL IT.
“YOU CAN DO IT”

NEVER Stop Dreaming.
Always Keep Believing!
You can.
If you think you can.
Never ‘EVER’ Give up!

Enj

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1813 on: August 18, 2015, 05:31:08 PM
Flinch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1813 on: August 18, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »

5 day Weather forecast for New Mexico

Cuba             temps mid 80's, no chance precipitation
Grants          temps mid 80's, low-no chance precip
Silver City     temps mid 80's low 90's, 30-40 chance precip (scattered storms) last two days

Mud? What Mud? We ain't got no mud! We don't have to push through no stinkin' mud!!

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1814 on: August 18, 2015, 05:49:09 PM
BanffCrazyLarry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1814 on: August 18, 2015, 05:49:09 PM »

Here's hoping those storms stay away, Flinch.

Yes! I see,the weather is not so hot; but then again, 80 is hot either way you look at it when riding Ultra Epic!  Wink

Glad you keep'n track !  headbang I'm Lov'n it!!!

I'm heading out to hwy for usual Supper at TransCanada Norquay Exit; hotspotting with the phone for internet on my computer gives me a GREAT advantage to enjoy my backyard; PLUS + keep track of Lael.

I wish I could fly to the finish area. But don't know any Airports close by.  Wink

Picture below shows how weather can change on the TDR at " Any " time.

They left with rain.
29 km later at the Canmore Goat Creek turn they arrived in a Flash Snow Storm! = 1 inch in 1 hr (Huge flakes!)

Rock ON Lael !!!
Your going to DO THIS !  headbang

* Rush Hour Traffic Tour Divide 2014 Goat Creek trail resize.jpg (451.85 KB, 1277x958 - viewed 2001 times.)

Think of a thought.

Now just Imagine.
FEEL THE GLORY?

IF YOU CAN FEEL IT.
“YOU CAN DO IT”

NEVER Stop Dreaming.
Always Keep Believing!
You can.
If you think you can.
Never ‘EVER’ Give up!

Enj

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1815 on: August 19, 2015, 06:33:56 PM
BanffCrazyLarry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1815 on: August 19, 2015, 06:33:56 PM »

Go! Lael GO !

Comparison with TrackLeaders Map overlay beside Google Earth Map ....as Lael goes over the " Highest Point " on the Tour Divide Route. Wow!
What a trooper with her having such the consistent speed~! AmaZzzing toughness that girl has!

Here's wishing you Lael  THE BEST Wishes for GREAT Pushes from Crazy Larry ...Keep'er going ALL the WAY !!! ...if Nicholas can pass this on to you in one of your CALL - ins!
Thanks Nicholas!

Your gonna do this Lael !!!

I'm at a coffee shop (Tim Hortons) dragging my heavy laden computer around on my Bob Trailer to check every time I'm near FREE internet on Lael's location.   
SO suspenseful and inspiring to the core!!! Just what I needed at this point~! Thanks Lael !!!!  thumbsup
Congratulations !!!  headbang   thumbsup

* Day 11 Aug. 19th. Highest Point of Course.jpg (747.54 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 1679 times.)

* LeaderBoard Time spread Auf. 19 Day 11 7.33 PM.jpg (291.67 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 1637 times.)

Think of a thought.

Now just Imagine.
FEEL THE GLORY?

IF YOU CAN FEEL IT.
“YOU CAN DO IT”

NEVER Stop Dreaming.
Always Keep Believing!
You can.
If you think you can.
Never ‘EVER’ Give up!

Enj

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1816 on: August 21, 2015, 11:01:02 AM
Flinch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1816 on: August 21, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »

Based on Leal's first race time from Cuba to AW, she is on track for a projected 15 day 22 hour finish. This assumes she stays at same pace as last time, and doesn't light the afterburners.

Last race, time to Cuba 14:08:11  Cuba to AW 2:17:40 (check my math) Finish time: 17:01:51
This race, time to Cuba 13:04:15   Cuba to AW 2:17:40            projected finish time:  15:21:55
(Note that Trackleaders has her time to Cuba as 13:04:49, but that is the time point after Cuba. I projected the :15 minutes (versus Trackleaders 49 minutes) from her last SPOT before entering Cuba)

Good on her!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1817 on: August 21, 2015, 07:47:01 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1817 on: August 21, 2015, 07:47:01 PM »

Hi All,

If anyone knows of any blogs on the 2015 race (or earlier ones we may have missed) I would be grateful if you would update the Google Docs so that I can include them in the Cordillera.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fwnD4NLk4alYKi56sjCVaJrO99-qutWHB71CxJjROXE/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks in anticipation!

Regards,

Chris

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1818 on: August 22, 2015, 11:01:20 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: August 22, 2015, 11:01:20 AM »

Go Lael Go!
32 hours ahead of her pace through Pie Town, exactly one day behind Jay's time. I see her gunning to best Jay's old record. 15 1/2 day finish in the making. Beast Mode fully engaged!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1819 on: August 22, 2015, 04:45:35 PM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1819 on: August 22, 2015, 04:45:35 PM »

Go Lael Go!
Beast Mode fully engaged!

I love it!   thumbsup headbang

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 94
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: