Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 94
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #480 on: June 18, 2015, 07:25:33 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: June 18, 2015, 07:25:33 AM »

TD someday for me... kids and biz and family have been my focus... but dyno, Rohloff are on my MTB / adventure / camping rig:

Rohloff and drivetrain by Mike, on Flickr

Krampus Cockpit by Mike, on Flickr

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #481 on: June 18, 2015, 07:30:18 AM
Eszter

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 18, 2015, 07:30:18 AM »

I'd like to raise a practical question at this juncture.

It is my understanding that the official rules of the Tour Divide (as much as an event of this sort can actually have official rules) state that there is to be no support for the riders. It is also my understanding that this has historically been interpreted quite strictly by the elite riders who are truly racing to win as "you can't even talk to a loved one on the phone".

My impression is that the elite racers who hope to win the race still hold to it, but that for most riders this whole event is much more about fun and enjoyment than about the podium (which doesn't actually exist). In the end winning this event is all about personal pride, sportsmanship and bragging rights, correct?

How many people truly care if the first to finish was communicating with loved ones during the event or not?
What is the current state of this rule and interpretation?

Back in the day of the GDMBR, the rule was no cell phones and people had to check-in via payphones. Still, even in this time of more 'pure' self-support, riders were still calling coaches and loved ones throughout the route.

I think that in the phase that cell phones were abundant, but not smart phones, one could make an argument against calling loved ones and having them check the tracker to see where the competition was or where the nearest bike shop was, but in the end, that 'service' was sort of available to anyone. And now that pretty much everyone has a smart phone, the point is moot.

The rules still state no visitation on course (unless someone lives in a town that the route goes through), but I don't think anyone expects anyone to do it without phone calls.

But yes, some people want to hold themselves to a 'higher' standard. Probably only a matter of time before someone tries to do the race carrying all the food they need from the beginning.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #482 on: June 18, 2015, 07:36:48 AM
richpips

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 18, 2015, 07:36:48 AM »

If I was going to be away for 2-4 weeks I'd be phoning home to check that my family were OK, not for their counselling.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #483 on: June 18, 2015, 07:37:20 AM
Johnny_mtb

CT

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 18, 2015, 07:37:20 AM »

Can we keep the discussion about the race and not bringing up rules/support? Don't want this thread to turn into a big debate that happened last year.

I'm thinking JP and Neil might get some company later today? Alex and Seb are riding strong. What a great year!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #484 on: June 18, 2015, 07:43:27 AM
Mxhdroom

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 18, 2015, 07:43:27 AM »

Thanks again Angler for the photos from Ovando. Gives us spectators and fence-sitters an idea of who's who and what kind of gear they're using. And a huge shout out to Travis Waters, who looks as fresh in Ovando as he did when I chatted with him at the GD in Banff. Super stuff.

I suffered through Shermer's Syndrome (long before I knew it was called that) during a week-long road ride across France and Belgium in the early '90's. We were popping painkillers on a regular basis to the point where the ride's subtitle became "Better Cycling Through Pharmaceuticals." I have an idea of what Larry's going through and it's no fun; rest seems to be the only real cure. I hope he can work through it and get back to business.

Avid and envious blue (and pink, and yellow...) dot follower.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #485 on: June 18, 2015, 07:50:26 AM
superdavebruno

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 18, 2015, 07:50:26 AM »

20 guys under 20 days really?? Jesus. This is more than just about the gps better bags and tubeless effect. This is a whole new level keep going gals and guys!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #486 on: June 18, 2015, 07:51:00 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: June 18, 2015, 07:51:00 AM »

Yes, please, let's avoid the annual "rules discussion in the race thread!"  BangHead

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #487 on: June 18, 2015, 07:52:22 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: June 18, 2015, 07:52:22 AM »

20 guys under 20 days really?? Jesus. This is more than just about the gps better bags and tubeless effect. This is a whole new level keep going gals and guys!

Weather is key too. Not having torrents and snow slogs in the first few days helped a lot because the racers got through the high mountains the first few days quickly.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #488 on: June 18, 2015, 07:55:50 AM
Roonssue

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 18, 2015, 07:55:50 AM »

Seems I have unknowingly asked a question that could be deemed against the rules of the race for which I apologise - to clarify Dave did not ask me to ask about this, I am just being a concerned wife. Wink

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #489 on: June 18, 2015, 08:02:10 AM
lotomojo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: June 18, 2015, 08:02:10 AM »

Sorry to bring up what I didn't realize was the annual rules discussion here. Didn't mean to open a can of worms. But thanks for your replies.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #490 on: June 18, 2015, 08:13:57 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: June 18, 2015, 08:13:57 AM »

Now that the riders are approaching the Great Divide Basin, thought it would be good to repost the wind map. Things are calm at the moment there.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #491 on: June 18, 2015, 08:17:11 AM
Johnny_mtb

CT

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 18, 2015, 08:17:11 AM »

Calm = <50mph in southern WY Smiley

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #492 on: June 18, 2015, 08:53:35 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: June 18, 2015, 08:53:35 AM »

‪#‎TourDivide15‬ - Josh Kato called in from Grand Teton! Josh Johnson called in from Helena! And Team Rice Burner called in from near Lincoln!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td15/

Josh Johnson's call might be the quintessential TD call-in!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #493 on: June 18, 2015, 09:05:24 AM
Angler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: June 18, 2015, 09:05:24 AM »

Weather is key too. Not having torrents and snow slogs in the first few days helped a lot because the racers got through the high mountains the first few days quickly.

This year it looks like riders will ALL be thru Ovando in a little over a week.  In the past it has taken at least two. So yes weather and no snow north of us has been incredibly fortuitous for the riders and times.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #494 on: June 18, 2015, 09:06:47 AM
Krampus Snail

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 18, 2015, 09:06:47 AM »

I run a Rohloff on my Krampus. I've never noticed the problems gringo mentions, about inertia, and I don't understand why inertia would tend to stop a rider instead of keeping the rider going forward. Moreover, the weight on the back of my bike is more me, and my gear, than my hub.

I run a Jones loop bar. I have plenty of room for the shifter, a Garmin, my harness, my light, my USB port button, a computer and a map holder. I've been riding for decades, and I found I got used to the Rohloff shifting in about, oh, 30 seconds. I love that I can shift while I'm stopped, especially when I'm starting up on a hill.

The main issue for me, for the Rohloff, is that it's a nightmare to remove and install the rear wheel. But that's because I also have a belt drive.

I'll be starting the GDMBR in a couple of weeks. I'm far, far from a racer-- what the leaders do in a day is what I'll be doing in about a week-- but I'm finding the Rohloff works for me. Racers have a lot of concerns I don't have, though, so I can't say how a Rohloff would work for them.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #495 on: June 18, 2015, 09:11:55 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: June 18, 2015, 09:11:55 AM »

Yeah, I don't think it has anything to do with gear.  I'd say it's mostly mental.  Races and records keep getting faster and faster because people believe they can do it faster and faster, building on the hard work and belief of those that came before.  TD evolution has been somewhat slower, IMHO, because of the length and the amount of luck required to pull of successful runs (e.g. course closures).  It is interesting to watch and think about.

Keep believin' out there, everyone.  This has been the best race to watch yet.  Both the women's and men's are still *tight*.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #496 on: June 18, 2015, 09:20:10 AM
blurltd

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 18, 2015, 09:20:10 AM »

I hope it's not too late but...

Scott McKinnon, DON'T QUIT, we made it further than this last year. Pretend we're chillin' and waiting for Jean, order another plate of fries, chocolate milk, relax a bit, slow your pace and pick up some flat pedals in Helena and go from there. I know you like to ride clips but give the flats a try and I'm sure it alleviate the pressure on your knees. Come on man, I'm sitting here in a office in California rooting for you wishing I was out there again, you got this. Ride your own ride don't get caught up in the race, just enjoy the whole experience. You can do this!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #497 on: June 18, 2015, 09:21:56 AM
ECEGatorTuro

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 18, 2015, 09:21:56 AM »

Word is he's having some shoulder/neck pain. Hoping some extra rest will do him well. Come on, Larry!! We're rooting for ya!!

Sadly, Larry Bennet has called it due to medical issues. He was having some severe asthma issues and his shoulder (which apparently was needing replacement soon) has failed. He trained so hard for this race so it's sad to see him call it but it's the right decision. I'm proud of him for lining up and even attempting this monster! The course will always be there next year. Smiley

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #498 on: June 18, 2015, 09:39:56 AM
gleeloyd

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 18, 2015, 09:39:56 AM »

‪#‎TourDivide15‬ - Josh Kato called in from Grand Teton! Josh Johnson called in from Helena! And Team Rice Burner called in from near Lincoln!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td15/

Josh Johnson's call might be the quintessential TD call-in!
  >>> Epic call from Josh!!! Wow. You must listen to this!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #499 on: June 18, 2015, 09:51:50 AM
AndyAmick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: June 18, 2015, 09:51:50 AM »

Yes, please, let's avoid the annual "rules discussion in the race thread!"  BangHead

Amen to that! The riders are out there pushing themselves to their limit and in many cases, past their limits. Kudos to them for getting out there to test themselves. It's great seeing all the smiling faces in Ovando and Polaris.
  Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 94
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: