Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 94
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #680 on: June 22, 2015, 09:43:52 AM
joeRinehart

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 22, 2015, 09:43:52 AM »

Is the dog still in the mix?

I'd love to know as well.

Who is it's rider?

I know we're not supposed to discuss rules, but I'm pretty sure riding the dog instead of a bicycle would violate a few.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #681 on: June 22, 2015, 09:56:34 AM
ron

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 22, 2015, 09:56:34 AM »

This is a nice analysis, thanks.

Add to this that ML has run a few numbers (estimates at best) for JP on the new routes: 

The Fish Creek section (Union Pass) was 35 minutes longer than the old route.
The Wamsutter route was 4 hours faster.

This is comparing 2015 JP to 2012 JP.  Multiply by some factor to get estimates for slower riders.

So it would seem Mike was riding *significantly* faster still.  He didn't warm up with ITI and AZT750, though...

Oodles of great racing going on out there.  Heat could be the biggest thing to mix things up in the coming days.  It's been quite warm even at 9000 feet in Colorado.

While we're talking times, it's worth remembering that Mike definitely let off the gas in NM once the official record was off the table and there were no chasers for days:

http://halfpastdone.com/2013/06/26/tour-divide-day-13-holding-out-for-pie/

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #682 on: June 22, 2015, 10:00:05 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 22, 2015, 10:00:05 AM »

I know we're not supposed to discuss rules, but I'm pretty sure riding the dog instead of a bicycle would violate a few.

Too funny!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #683 on: June 22, 2015, 10:27:00 AM
Tomswife

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 22, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »

It looks like Tom DeVries's tracker quit about 4 hours ago in the middle of the desert! He just called from Wumsetter and is trying to figure out what is wrong with it. any suggestions?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #684 on: June 22, 2015, 10:35:47 AM
Erik

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 22, 2015, 10:35:47 AM »

I'd love to know as well.

It's fine as long as the dog's peddling the bike.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #685 on: June 22, 2015, 11:02:18 AM
Tomswife

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 22, 2015, 11:02:18 AM »

Reset, and back up and running!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #686 on: June 22, 2015, 11:06:52 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: June 22, 2015, 11:06:52 AM »

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #687 on: June 22, 2015, 11:49:07 AM
fate_lizzie

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 22, 2015, 11:49:07 AM »

I've been told by one of the racers that he saw the dog at the start with a couple, but his impression was that they were just there for the start or that they were maybe doing it 'touring style'.  Dunno, I'm super intrigued by the dog too. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #688 on: June 22, 2015, 12:10:19 PM
superdavebruno

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 22, 2015, 12:10:19 PM »

Oh man this is so much better than the TDF. Now for the leaders that big long backstretch that feels like forever from Sargents to Del Norte and just beware the invisible downhilling sand pits that grab that front tire just as your getting close to town and thinking about cold drinks...! And the personal perseverance battle is really just beginning at the NM border...thanks guys for putting on such a ride!!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #689 on: June 22, 2015, 12:45:49 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #689 on: June 22, 2015, 12:45:49 PM »

In hotel room--Achilles is now 'squeaky' and bumpy as well as swollen
Any way it could improve? Ice elevation as we speak
Any other suggestions?

When I had a major Achillies problem - couldn't run for 16 months - it transpired it was due to the soleus muscle. After a relatively short period of time stretching that, my Achilles problem vanished. I've since included a simple set of soleus stretches into my daily routine and it's something endurance cyclists should try because we have very weak soleus muscles due to the loading we put on our legs (or so says my physical therapist).

The stretch is easy. Find a stair (or a yoga block - great for travel).  Stand with your toes on the stair and your heel over thin air. Bend your knee so that it is over the toe. Do 3 sets of 15 calf raises keeping the knee in that position.  Once it gets stronger, do it with a weight.  It's worth the effort.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #690 on: June 22, 2015, 01:08:43 PM
Mike Honcho

Inspire ordinary people to do extraordinary things

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: June 22, 2015, 01:08:43 PM »

I agree about this show! Every spare minute I am looking at my phone checking on the entire SixPack, Lisa and the ladies race, etc. Then looking at all the race times and more details about others when I am on the PC. And the replay feature is freakin' awesome. Watching NB slip past JP during a nap, then JP going back by (haha, hence replay - I am not gonna be sleep fatigued until I have to be!!!)

They should do a movie about this stuff! J/K icon_biggrin Or write a book with some art in it!!! J/K again ST.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #691 on: June 22, 2015, 01:15:21 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #691 on: June 22, 2015, 01:15:21 PM »

You got this, Marshal!

I got no quick fixes, as I've never had Achilles problems, but I got a rude wakeup when I complained about a strained hamstring to a massage therapist. My legs were tight everywhere, and it was imperative I put myself on a stretching routine. Fingers crossed.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #692 on: June 22, 2015, 01:26:26 PM
Majcolo

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 22, 2015, 01:26:26 PM »

I got no quick fixes, as I've never had Achilles problems, but I got a rude wakeup when I complained about a strained hamstring to a massage therapist. My legs were tight everywhere, and it was imperative I put myself on a stretching routine. Fingers crossed.
I keep thinking I need to start doing yoga for these exact reasons.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #693 on: June 22, 2015, 01:35:53 PM
littletogo

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 22, 2015, 01:35:53 PM »

Kevin Jacobsen here.  Northbound GD single speed. 

I am between Atlantic City and Boulder and am officially pulling out of TD 2015.  Been struggling since Salida (3 days) with only one operable quadricep.  My right quad is toast.  Not sure what the issue is but I cannot put any downstroke pressure on the pedal.

I came here to go fast and had a great run up through New Mexico and Colorado, but am not able to keep the race level effort I expect of myself.  Frustrated for sure as everything else (body, mind, bike, kit, etc.) was operating perfectly.

Congrats and continued success to the rest of the individuals busting their asses this year!

"Every adventure has a beginning and an end"

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #694 on: June 22, 2015, 01:45:06 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #694 on: June 22, 2015, 01:45:06 PM »

I am between Atlantic City and Boulder and am officially pulling out of TD 2015.  Been struggling since Salida (3 days) with only one operable quadricep.  My right quad is toast.  Not sure what the issue is but I cannot put any downstroke pressure on the pedal.

I came here to go fast and had a great run up through New Mexico and Colorado, but am not able to keep the race level effort I expect of myself.  Frustrated for sure as everything else (body, mind, bike, kit, etc.) was operating perfectly.

Congrats and continued success to the rest of the individuals busting their asses this year!

Take care of yourself first, Kevin!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #695 on: June 22, 2015, 01:55:48 PM
dstewart23

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 22, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »

Great run Kevin! Take care of that leg!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #696 on: June 22, 2015, 02:06:43 PM
Kavy

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 22, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »

Awesome ride Kevin. Very impressed with what you have accomplished in this rookie run. Can't wait to see you back in the saddle once that leg is recovered.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #697 on: June 22, 2015, 02:11:33 PM
samh

Ultralight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #697 on: June 22, 2015, 02:11:33 PM »

Kevin Jacobsen here.  Northbound GD single speed... am officially pulling out of TD 2015.

Kevin, watching you absolutely DESTROY the competition so far has been awesome!  So sorry to hear you're heading home.  I'll continue cheering our fellow Bozeman brother Dylan on as he stays up at the front of the SOBO pack. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #698 on: June 22, 2015, 02:23:17 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #698 on: June 22, 2015, 02:23:17 PM »

Great job Kevin, the SS cat. is one of my favorites - I know how tough it is out there, with only one gear. As the saying goes, 90% of the time, you're in the wrong gear, so appreciate it, and accept it! If there's a chance, tuff it out (and not do some major damage to yourself), every TD veteran knows what those lows are!

I keep thinking I need to start doing yoga for these exact reasons.

Yes! I'm a yoga noob, which is multiplied by x1000 when living in Boulder (I'm accosted by yogis!), but simple stretches/yoga go a long way. You're not looking for complete mastery, you just need to stay a little more limber/balanced than you may be. Downward Dog, Warrior, and Pigeon (for the saos). I know I certainly sit too much in daily life, and riding a bike puts you in that cramped position as well. Your saos gets super tight and it's really difficult to figure out how to stretch it properly. Stretching your quads/hams/calves is much more straightforward. Hip flexibility too - experiment, get a routine, and do it while decompressing after whatever. I can only tell you with my anectadata that I got through my last ultra with 0 problems and PR'd all over the place. Stretching and foam roller. Like lubing your chain, just a little maintenance goes a long way!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #699 on: June 22, 2015, 02:25:26 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 22, 2015, 02:25:26 PM »

Marshall, I'm not sure if you still are looking for advice on your Achilles, but I've dealt with that same problem quite a bit. Swing by a drug store and get some 2" wide athletic tape. With your sock off, flex your toes down so the angle of your ankle/shin is a bit greater than 90 degrees (maybe 110?). Run two strips of tape on top of one another from mid-calf, over the back/bottom of your heel, and then under your foot as far forward as the ball. Then do a few wraps around your calf and mid-foot to hold those two long strips in place. The long strips, if taut enough when you pedal, will effectively take the stress off your Achilles as your foot moves through the downward part of the pedal stroke. If you can't feel the tape doing that, redo the tape job with your toes pointed a bit more to increase that angle. This has gotten me through weeks of ultras and even allowed my Achilles to recover in the TD before being able to remove the tape and ride without it again a few days later.

Also, as a few others have stated, move your cleats as far back on your shoes as they can go. I would not lower your saddle unless taping and repositioning the cleats don't do the trick.

Good luck!

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 94
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: