Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 58
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #580 on: March 29, 2014, 11:38:39 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: March 29, 2014, 11:38:39 PM »

One of my goals was to see the parts of the course I missed last time in 2011....Not looking all that good for seeing them this time either.....Not all that interested in reroutes and in 2011 the North Bounders did all the reroute too, there was that much snow...well that is weather for ya
Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #581 on: March 30, 2014, 05:33:00 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 30, 2014, 05:33:00 AM »

At 2.5 months out it's a little early to throw in the towel.  The snow situation always comes down to what sort of Spring we get.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #582 on: March 30, 2014, 03:14:03 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: March 30, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »

I would like to hear from those of you who rode in the 2011 TD and endured the reroutes.

SKIP 'EM!

Ashton-Flagg Ranch Rd, June 22nd, 2011

* 6747157139_d0425d4cbc_z.jpg (268.9 KB, 640x561 - viewed 586 times.)

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #583 on: March 30, 2014, 04:08:41 PM
pablito

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 30, 2014, 04:08:41 PM »

Snow...
I've been watching the snow fall pretty steadily and hard here in NW Wyoming this winter.  The following link provides a very good picture of the snow situation along the GDMBR's northern half... and it isn't looking good.  Many snow monitoring sites are reporting 150% or greater than average snowpack.     http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/snow/

I am now considering a NoBo Grand Depart or even an ITT later in the summer.
I would like to hear from those of you who rode in the 2011 TD and endured the reroutes.

Off to the TransAm. See you in 2016!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #584 on: March 30, 2014, 06:59:15 PM
Rob Colliver

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 30, 2014, 06:59:15 PM »

An update on the snow in Fernie when I said the snowpack was 4 metres.... that is correct, but it is measured at 5400'.
Apparantly the snow pack down at 1000 metres is lower than in previous years. Read into that whatever you can, I can find out no more.
Or, just go to Canadian Tire when you land in Calgary, buy a pair of cheap showshoes, strap them to the front of your bar gag and go for it - it can't be more than 12 miles of trudging around Red Meadow lake.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #585 on: March 30, 2014, 08:29:48 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: March 30, 2014, 08:29:48 PM »

I'm not sure about the idea of switching to NoBo in case of a snowy route - it only will buy you ~week in riding, and then you'll hit the highpoint of the entire route @ Indiana Pass 11,910 feet, although the San Juans aren't really getting that big of a snowpack this year, when compared to the rest of the state. Since there's activity on that pass with the mine and I think vacation places on the south side, the road perhaps could be plowed (or not) Something to look into.

Not a bad idea to keep an eye out for road conditions, but it's a hard thing to make a contingency plan, as you'll should all be pretty much locked into starting this thing, if you're starting this thing. A detoured route isn't the worst, but it is nice to be able to ride the entire route - perhaps maybe see that as a very nice surprise, as you also have to worry about the fire closures. Be prepared to have your plans altered, the experience will stay the same: very much unique. You'll be dreaming of snow in the Gila.

I would plan on some sort of snow, somewhere on the route, and figure out what you're going to do about it. Don't underestimate the type of strain walking in snow for miles does to feet in stiff MTB shoes. Lots of causalities b/c of Achilles tendon problems.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #586 on: March 31, 2014, 05:01:10 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 31, 2014, 05:01:10 AM »

I would plan on some sort of snow, somewhere on the route, and figure out what you're going to do about it. Don't underestimate the type of strain walking in snow for miles does to feet in stiff MTB shoes. Lots of causalities b/c of Achilles tendon problems.

For those who contemplate carrying something extra for the snow, I would suggest that Crocs or a good quality sandal might be a better choice than snowshoes.  Easier to walk in and the old snow on these trails/roads is often pretty well packed from snowmobile traffic.  If you hit rotten snow, even snowshoes have a hard time staying on top.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #587 on: April 01, 2014, 06:20:12 AM
jehsohn

Woof!

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 01, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »

Hey Justin,

Any tips/advice/counseling for doing the route and forgoing any snow reroutes??

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #588 on: April 01, 2014, 01:18:17 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: April 01, 2014, 01:18:17 PM »

Hey Justin,

Any tips/advice/counseling for doing the route and forgoing any snow reroutes??

Funny you should ask that, as my new guide book is coming out today:

* slog.jpg (97.47 KB, 640x861 - viewed 428 times.)

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #589 on: April 01, 2014, 01:43:46 PM
jehsohn

Woof!

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 01, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »

Guidebook?? Tell us more. Inquiring minds want to know!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #590 on: April 01, 2014, 02:50:45 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 01, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »

Funny you should ask that, as my new guide book is coming out today:

So what's the bike for?

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #591 on: April 01, 2014, 04:26:47 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: April 01, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »

Will it have a companion: "Proper Care and Feeding of Your Achilles!"

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #592 on: April 01, 2014, 04:33:10 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #592 on: April 01, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »

Guidebook?? Tell us more. Inquiring minds want to know!

The subtitle is, "Leave your common sense behind, for adventure!"

So what's the bike for?

Obviously, it's the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route - The Mountain Bike is used to easily transport yourself between detour'd sections.

Will it have a companion: "Proper Care and Feeding of Your Achilles!"

Sounds like a downloadable PDF extra easily accessed with the code in the back of the book! The book itself will contain a chapter on how to create makeshift waterproof...ish booties out of common materials you can find in any gas station: plastic bags, packing tape, lighter fluid. These instructions can be augmented to create emergency flares and bear-deterrent devices.

I would seriously recommend ordering your copy today, before the snowy season really starts up in the high country.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #593 on: April 01, 2014, 04:35:58 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 01, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »

The subtitle is, "Leave your common sense behind, for adventure!"

Obviously, it's the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route - The Mountain Bike is used to easily transport yourself between detour'd sections.

Sounds like a downloadable PDF extra easily accessed with the code in the back of the book! The book itself will contain a chapter on how to create makeshift waterproof...ish booties out of common materials you can find in any gas station: plastic bags, packing tape, lighter fluid. These instructions can be augmented to create emergency flares and bear-deterrent devices.

I would seriously recommend ordering your copy today, before the snowy season really starts up in the high country.

I thought after a week without laundering the shorts and jersey become bear deterrent devices.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #594 on: April 01, 2014, 04:45:05 PM
blurltd

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 01, 2014, 04:45:05 PM »

What's the date today?

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #595 on: April 02, 2014, 06:44:11 AM
jehsohn

Woof!

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 02, 2014, 06:44:11 AM »

icon_rr bootyshake occasion14 booty notworthy icon_salut binkybaby
AAWWWW man

you got me.

i always forget about that date

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #596 on: April 02, 2014, 07:03:09 AM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 02, 2014, 07:03:09 AM »

I
I thought after a week without laundering the shorts and jersey become bear deterrent devices.
I figured I would become more attractive to bears as I get hairier and stinky.... But like I told the guys at the shop, I just have to be faster than the slowest guy! But I'm on a ss, so might not work out for me. Just tell my wife I love her! Smiley

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #597 on: April 02, 2014, 07:09:03 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 02, 2014, 07:09:03 AM »

II figured I would become more attractive to bears as I get hairier and stinky.... But like I told the guys at the shop, I just have to be faster than the slowest guy! But I'm on a ss, so might not work out for me. Just tell my wife I love her! Smiley

I think even bears have their limits  icon_biggrin

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #598 on: April 02, 2014, 09:08:10 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: April 02, 2014, 09:08:10 PM »

So, here's a bit more thoughtful of an answer to, "advice about skipping detours"

First, just be mindful of why the detours are there. I can't speak for the race coordinators, so I won't, but my take on it is that there a few reasons:

* The course as it is doesn't follow the spirit/feel of the race
* The course as it is has safety issues, especially with dozens of people going in there.
* Slogging through the snowed in road isn't going to be really all that fun
* The coordinators probably want people to finish

No one really wants to do a detour, but 2011 was a pretty special year - the Rockies got slammed with snow - completely unprecedented, and not like what we're really seeing this year. It's too far out to wager what the snowline will be in June - April could be a very dry, or very wet year - we'll see, and we're still talking about an area from Banff to basically Boreas Pass in CO that could be effected: there's not gonna be one prognosis. Good chance some of the areas in Canada will still have snow on 'em, but just at the passes themselves.

Personally, I felt that I took so much time training for this damn thing that - hell or high water, I was going to see it through. Beautiful places that were skipped in the detour included the Flathead, many parts of Montana and most all of Wyoming. I thought to myself, "When's the next time I'll be here?" and well I was, the very next year!

Other ultra MTB races aren't so detour-wary, and the courses changes, sometimes drastically from year to year. The AZT is still developing, the CTR made some big changes with the (reinstated) 285/Tarryall detour - all these races are young and growing. Same can be said for the TD. The TD has the big strike already that it's such a long race, that if the snow don't getcha, fires may be an issue. Historical times and being able to compare is a pretty cool thing to do, especially on this course, but it's not the end all, be all.

So if you DO decide to skip a detour, be ready with a ton of food as you'll be going slow, understand that potentially no one can get where you are with a terrestrial-based motor vehicle (snow's too wet/soft - they'll be walking), it'll take more time than you think (do you have a time limit you have to finish by?), and your feet are going to get wrecked - if it's not the Achilles issue, it's just gonna be from being  cold/wet all the time - do you have a problem with your feet swelling up in those sorts of circumstances? I also had problems with getting lost (no GPS) and finding a good place to camp while it's snowing and the surface is covered in snow, and it's late, some pretty cold, miserable nights and some half days to attempt to deal with them.

One good idea is to start as early as possible, allowing the snow to set up, before slogging in, and even though it sounds pretty weird advice for June, know about avalanche conditions. There could be a potential for a wet slide in the Red Meadow Lake area/Richmond Pass - especially Richmond Pass (I slipped and slid 3/4 of the way to the bottom of the basin, right after my bike).

Bears *are* another issue, especially in the Flathead, as most of the critters use the road for transportation as well - the forests seem to be pretty dense. You'll see tracks everywhere. They'll just be waking up and probably grumpy. You won't have the advantage of pedaling fast out of their way - are you into that sort of encounter?

Also, don't skip the fire detours, totally different game. The fire fighters would be very pissed, as their job is to save lives and property, and it costs them deeply in their own lives. Finding a bumbling fool in the snow pushing a bike with wet feet and a hungry belly outside of town, on a 4x4 road or cross country ski trail - maybe a little different. They'll def. say, "I told you so!" behind your back, but a smoke jumper won't be needed to clear you out.

So, saying all that, don't worry if there's snow on the actual route, when you get there - it's almost part of the game and most likely will be only a few miles long - maybe in the nascence of the race there was a dryer spell of weather and June start didn't necessarily mean snow snow snow. If you don't want snow, do what JayP does, and start well after June (and be ready for NM mud). But still be prepared for slogging it for a few hours, and prepare your feet - maybe bring some more food. Wetness and dirty muddy conditions are hell on those brake pads/drivetrain, too - sounds like the Flathead area specifically is getting a little more "primitive" - I'd plan on a good service right afterwards, even if that means already having a pair of brake pads to change into, and giving your chain a major lubing down - there's a car wash in Eureka - could come in handy. Good luck!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #599 on: April 03, 2014, 10:36:39 AM
fastmtnbiker33w

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: April 03, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »

So, here's a bit more thoughtful of an answer to, "advice about skipping detours"

First, just be mindful of why the detours are there. I can't speak for the race coordinators, so I won't, but my take on it is that there a few reasons:

There are "race coordinators"?  Who are these people and why haven't we heard from them? 

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: