Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 58
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #520 on: March 18, 2014, 05:50:10 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 18, 2014, 05:50:10 AM »

If a rider is doing an ITT,  is there some "official" mechanism for getting information on re-routes (if there are any?)   I checked the website but couldn't see any information there.   I know it's early so maybe this information will come out eventually.   I am wondering about the sections in Canada that may still have flood damage,  fires, etc. etc.   Reading Cordillera V, there were many references to riders getting email info, etc.  Does this happen in places with internet access on public terminals,  or via cell phones?  I read many people didn't carry cell phones since there was little coverage anyway.

Sorry,  I know this is a "rookie question"....  it boils down to...  "how do most people get info about detours....?"

For the Canada section I checked Parks Canada and the Provincial Parks website last Fall and found that the Spray and Goat Creek trails were open, but had washouts.  The bike path in PL Park had damage, but that's an easy re-route - just follow the road instead.  The bridge over the creek on Elk Pass had damage, but could be navigated.  Nearer the start time some of our Banff-area correspondents are sure to chime in with current reports.

In any case the rule has always been that if you are faced with a closure, you choose the route that requires the least detour off the official route.  Usually Matthew or one of his associates will post an "official" re-route on these forums and Joe Polk will put it on the outgoing message of the mtbcast voicemail, but if you can't access either of these, you just fall back on the self-supported principle and choose a short detour.

EDIT:  Be sure to check the ACA addenda as close as possible to your start time to see if anything has changed.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #521 on: March 18, 2014, 05:53:07 AM
ezr4d

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 18, 2014, 05:53:07 AM »

Last year in Abiquiu, NM (at the start of the fire detour) I stopped at the B&B there for lunch and they had a sign on the door from the fire department. It seems a lot of people/businesses along the route are pretty well informed, ask around if there's a fire or whatever in the area and someone will know.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #522 on: March 18, 2014, 07:01:44 AM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 18, 2014, 07:01:44 AM »

I had read that some people weren't carrying cell phones,  I wasn't planning to either.  I don't use one in 'real life' and it seemed coverage was so sporadic that it wasn't worth it.  I know lots of folks use their phones for cues and gps and camera, so lots of reasons to carry a "good" phone for those functions.

Anyone else with comments about how information is given if there are detours or route information changes while the tour is in progress?

Thanks to all those who share their knowledge, experience and opinions here.   it's very helpful.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #523 on: March 19, 2014, 11:56:18 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 19, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »

I had read that some people weren't carrying cell phones,  I wasn't planning to either.  I don't use one in 'real life' and it seemed coverage was so sporadic that it wasn't worth it.  I know lots of folks use their phones for cues and gps and camera, so lots of reasons to carry a "good" phone for those functions.

Anyone else with comments about how information is given if there are detours or route information changes while the tour is in progress?

Thanks to all those who share their knowledge, experience and opinions here.   it's very helpful.

I didn't use a phone last year, I got lucky with detour communications as 2 iphone-d up riders were racing close to me at that point. For one detour 2 of us did as Bob explains above, it turned out the guess was the same as the detour as it was the most obvious route, for the other I was caught up by a rider in Pietown who told me about the diversion. I wrote some notes and crossed my fingers - tactically I was happy for the guys with GPS to roll out of Pietown ahead of me as I figured I may be able to use tyre tracks to help if I wasn't sure of the route, I just had to stay close and figure out how / if I could gain that ground back later. It could have set me back if luck hadn't been on my side there, but racing in your own style is important. No communication devices to hand added something important to the experience for me, so I fully respect your decision to go without.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #524 on: March 19, 2014, 12:34:47 PM
cobbnat

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 19, 2014, 12:34:47 PM »

GPS question:  I have loaded my Garmin Oregon 450 with the Garmin US 100K Topo maps, which look great, about the right level of detail. But Canada remains a blank except for the minimal World Basemap. I suppose I could just follow the purple line across a mostly blank GPS screen, but prefer to have more context. I couldn't find an equivalent Canada map, and I don't want to load a lot of 24K maps as they use a lot of memory. What have others done?

Nat

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #525 on: March 19, 2014, 02:06:09 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 19, 2014, 02:06:09 PM »

GPS question:  I have loaded my Garmin Oregon 450 with the Garmin US 100K Topo maps, which look great, about the right level of detail. But Canada remains a blank except for the minimal World Basemap. I suppose I could just follow the purple line across a mostly blank GPS screen, but prefer to have more context. I couldn't find an equivalent Canada map, and I don't want to load a lot of 24K maps as they use a lot of memory. What have others done?

Nat

The Canada navigation is not tricky at all, so you could just photocopy cues and maps and toss them at the border.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #526 on: March 19, 2014, 02:46:42 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: March 19, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »

Nat

I got really awesome base maps for almost the entire country and western Canada on my gps with no memory issues at all.  I got them for free from GPSDepot.  For the lower 48, they're pretty amazing.  I'm not sure about Canada. 

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #527 on: March 19, 2014, 03:16:33 PM
cobbnat

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 19, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »

I got really awesome base maps for almost the entire country and western Canada on my gps with no memory issues at all.  I got them for free from GPSDepot.  For the lower 48, they're pretty amazing.  I'm not sure about Canada. 

Thanks!  Even if there is enough memory (you can always get a bigger card) I wonder if having that much more detailed basemap will slow down the boot-up of the GPS, or use batteries faster. Anyone know?

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #528 on: March 19, 2014, 08:08:09 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: March 19, 2014, 08:08:09 PM »

I haven't noticed a slower boot up.  My batteries seem to last just as long....or as little since I always seem to be zooming in and out and scroll around looking for different stuff.  I've gotten very attached to my gps and totally prefer it over paper maps.  I'm running a dyno hub and will be able to recharge batteries easily so battery life is not a concern for me.  I'm running an Etrex 20.  I usually get about 2 days out of my batteries if I try to conserve.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #529 on: March 19, 2014, 08:29:29 PM
cobbnat

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 19, 2014, 08:29:29 PM »

I haven't noticed a slower boot up.  My batteries seem to last just as long....or as little since I always seem to be zooming in and out and scroll around looking for different stuff.  I've gotten very attached to my gps and totally prefer it over paper maps.  I'm running a dyno hub and will be able to recharge batteries easily so battery life is not a concern for me.  I'm running an Etrex 20.  I usually get about 2 days out of my batteries if I try to conserve.
Good to hear. I used my GPS for a couple of week-long bikepacking trips in the SW, and feel the same way, although I still have a soft spot for the old paper topo map. I may have to go for the dyno hub one of these years, but already over budget (and nervous about new technology) so I will be carrying batteries.  See you at the 12 Hours in the Wild West?

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #530 on: March 19, 2014, 08:34:59 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: March 19, 2014, 08:34:59 PM »

See you at the 12 Hours in the Wild West?
Nope.....AZT 300.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #531 on: March 19, 2014, 08:39:28 PM
cobbnat

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 19, 2014, 08:39:28 PM »

Nope.....AZT 300.
Good luck!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #532 on: March 19, 2014, 08:47:18 PM
pablito

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 19, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »

Anybody ridden with a Jones H Loop Bar and Aerobars? My right arm is bugging me right now (tennis elbow) on training rides and I'm looking into a set of aerobars to go with my Jones H Loop to get some different positions.

I set up Jones bars with Syntace aero bars. Ultimately, I still had numbness issues. Switched to drop bars. Problem solved.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #533 on: March 19, 2014, 08:53:22 PM
pablito

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 19, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »

I've got a pair of Sidi Diablos (Gore Tex), but I feel like the weight and bulk will be more trouble than it's worth, and this is my first TDR so I have no idea.  therefore going for the regular carbon shoes I have with trash bags, shoe covers, water proof socks, and hopefully some good luck.  also thinking maybe a pair of flip flops wouldn't be a bad idea.  I've got quite a few miles of pushing my bike up steep grades in the shoes and I'm confident, though frozen toes is a worry.

anybody think this is a terrible idea?

Dan,
It is said you pack you fears. Sounds like your scared to death of feet issues. I had a pair of goretex socks. Put them on going down the flathead pass (where the river and the trail mingle) I think looking back on that situation I would have just ripped through that section, got wet and let the rest of the day dry em out. But that was that day. It could have been really bad.

My shoe choice was a pair of super comfy stiff specialized sworks mtn. shoes. Again 2013 was an easy easy easy year for walking. Just not that much.

I panicked in Banff and bought a pair of lightweight shoes. Came to my senses a day later and shipped them home with all the other stuff that fell into the "too much stuff" category. This year my gear is much simpler. Half the weight.

Coming back a second time, its amazing what is vital and what is not. And I poured over my gear choices the first year. I'm sure if I do this race a third time I will have learned even more. Just hope for little snow and mud.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #534 on: March 19, 2014, 08:59:36 PM
pablito

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 19, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »

Got another question for you guys. I would like to compare my gear list to as many others as possible. I have really liked combing through yours Chris. Does anyone have a link to TD specific gear lists of the past or even ones for this year? I've been reviewing all of last year's threads and haven't found too many yet.

-Tanner

Tanner,
Here is my list from last year and this. Its evolving all the time. Let me know if you have questions. You'll notice that 2014 is a much smaller list. I had way too much stuff in 2013.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApjY4ewSiuXvdHNlZGIwRjh0OVdzZ1hqbzJUXy1Qa2c&usp=sharing

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #535 on: March 19, 2014, 09:10:13 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: March 19, 2014, 09:10:13 PM »

Yeah.  Packing fear.  I worked at REI in the 90's.  There was this video floating around about the cult'ish group of AT hikers that were rolling through with 5 pound base weights.  This one dude called himself The Wolf.  He's some sort of born again Christian singer/healer whatever now.  He made a video that started off with a graph of weight vs. fear.  Fear being the independent variable and weight being dependent.  He never really talked about the willingness to suffer.  Suffering can only be sustained for so long until it starts to be detrimental to performance.  Finding that threshold and not going over it is key.  Let it stay too high too long, and you may wind up with a hole in your foot or ass or palm and then you'll have to drop out.  Go without sleep and you may wake up nowhere near your bike on the side of the mountain somewhere. 

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #536 on: March 20, 2014, 11:02:11 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 20, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »

Here is my list from last year and this. Its evolving all the time. Let me know if you have questions. You'll notice that 2014 is a much smaller list. I had way too much stuff in 2013.

Vast improvement over your 2013 list.  Nice work.  Some questions: What does your color coding in the far left column mean?  Also, your logic for taking not listing rain pants/shell for legs?  And way so many "tooth care" products, are your teeth soft and susceptible to cavities after anywhere from 15 to 25 days of not brushing/flossing?  What's wrong with grabbing a toothpick from a diner here and there?  Do you really mean "rope", or more like "3ft of twine", and what's this for?

Shift cable is one of a few items on your list that goes in the "fear" category.  Same with brake pads.  I'd consider leaving these out, unless you have some special wiz-bang product that absolutely cannot be found in a local shop along the way.  In my mind, I'm thinking: when have I ever needed to, or will I ever need to, replace a shift cable or brake pads on the trail on a multi-day trip in the USA with a bike shop available every 1 to 3 days assuming I've started the trip with recently broken-in cables and pads and not cables/pads that have 2k of hard miles on them?

Also, I consider the H2O filter to be a fear category item as well, especially for TDR, where H2O is plentiful (yes, plentiful).  But, I guess if it's the same weight & bulk as a few iodine tablets ...

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #537 on: March 20, 2014, 01:12:48 PM
pablito

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 20, 2014, 01:12:48 PM »

Vast improvement over your 2013 list.  Nice work.  Some questions: What does your color coding in the far left column mean?  Also, your logic for taking not listing rain pants/shell for legs?  And way so many "tooth care" products, are your teeth soft and susceptible to cavities after anywhere from 15 to 25 days of not brushing/flossing?  What's wrong with grabbing a toothpick from a diner here and there?  Do you really mean "rope", or more like "3ft of twine", and what's this for?

Shift cable is one of a few items on your list that goes in the "fear" category.  Same with brake pads.  I'd consider leaving these out, unless you have some special wiz-bang product that absolutely cannot be found in a local shop along the way.  In my mind, I'm thinking: when have I ever needed to, or will I ever need to, replace a shift cable or brake pads on the trail on a multi-day trip in the USA with a bike shop available every 1 to 3 days assuming I've started the trip with recently broken-in cables and pads and not cables/pads that have 2k of hard miles on them?

Also, I consider the H2O filter to be a fear category item as well, especially for TDR, where H2O is plentiful (yes, plentiful).  But, I guess if it's the same weight & bulk as a few iodine tablets ...

Mike,
The color coding represents the location or bag. Green is wearing, orange is seat bag, etc.

I took rain pants. I hated riding in them. They just don't fit right. So they are gone. I am riding with 3/4 knickers that are a heavier weight through Wyoming (always seemed to be cold enough to that point).

You are right on the tooth care. There was a lot of stuff there. Deleted. Thanks.

The rope is twine. about 3ft. Good guess. That whole line (except tubes and pump) on the doc fits into an Altoids container. So the pads and cable are a little insurance that ride in that box. Same with spare cleats. But you're right. Its a fear. But one worth carrying in that little box.

Will probably not take the filter and just go with iodine tablets. Up until last night I was taking a frame bag with a camelback in it. With the filter in-line. Thats gone now in lieu of 1ltr bottles and some tablets.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Love it. Keep it coming.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:19:03 PM by pablito » Logged

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #538 on: March 20, 2014, 01:34:10 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: March 20, 2014, 01:34:10 PM »

Mike,
The color coding represents the location or bag. Green is wearing, orange is seat bag, etc.

I took rain pants. I hated riding in them. They just don't fit right. So they are gone. I am riding with 3/4 knickers that are a heavier weight through Wyoming (always seemed to be cold enough to that point).

You are right on the tooth care. There was a lot of stuff there. Deleted. Thanks.

The rope is twine. about 3ft. Good guess. That whole line (except tubes and pump) on the doc fits into an Altoids container. So the pads and cable are a little insurance that ride in that box. Same with spare cleats. But you're right. Its a fear. But one worth carrying in that little box.

Will probably not take the filter and just go with iodine tablets. Up until last night I was taking a frame bag with a camelback in it. With the filter in-line. Thats gone now in lieu of 1ltr bottles and some tablets.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Love it. Keep it coming.

You have patches on there twice. Safety pins,  Cleats (maybe one cleat and a pair of bolts), Valve stem, bag balm and A&D (I can think of a couple other products that will serve the purpose of both).... I'd go without that stuff.  Hopefully you have something other than ProGold in the vial.  Lose one of the tubes.  Carry a small bottle of sealant instead if you are running tubeless.....which you should.  Get a quick link and don't bother with the extra chain links.  Carry that cool little plug tool and some rubber band pieces for plugs (again...if you are running tubeless).

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #539 on: March 20, 2014, 01:39:57 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: March 20, 2014, 01:39:57 PM »

Oh yeah....Superglue.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: