Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 58
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #80 on: November 22, 2013, 10:34:33 AM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »

So.. after a couple days of on-and-off reading of the "TD Basics" thread(it's a long one and I'm taking it slowly so as to absorb the info). In regards to the "Tour Divide Dangers" I did find it a bit disconcerting to see that there have been dog maulings in New Mexico that ended in broken ribs, etc. In recent years has the dog situation changed at all? I'm not one bit afraid of bears, I've done plenty of backcountry travel through the Montana sections of the CDT on foot and know what to expect there from experience, but dogs do concern me. I've been chased by many country dogs here in the remotes of Colorado but not by 4 pit bulls bent on my destruction. I guess what I'm asking is are these dog issues freak incidents or the rule?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:38:48 AM by SlowRide » Logged

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #81 on: November 22, 2013, 10:53:23 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2013, 10:53:23 AM »

slowride, I found the dogs in NM to be a problem but only as I'm not used to it. One particularly surreal and scary experience at night on a desert road. Also had a few similar experiences in Asia. But ime there's not a lot you can do, apart from remember that very few are genuinely fierce, it's territorial stuff and they're chasing the bike more than the human. Once you stop moving they often seem to loose interest. Slow down, stop with the bike between you and stand tall, shout etc. Bear spray may be useful? Edit to add, I was chased a few times but never by anything really rabid like a pack of pitbulls. Just bored ranch hounds that you sound like you know what to do with.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:57:26 AM by james-o » Logged

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #82 on: November 22, 2013, 10:58:24 AM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2013, 10:58:24 AM »

Got it, thanks for the reply james-o, that's about my method of operation here in Colorado when it happens(minus the bear spray), I'll stick to that and hope for the best.

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #83 on: November 22, 2013, 12:49:51 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2013, 12:49:51 PM »

I was expecting to deal with NM dogs in 2010 and did. But my dog was only the size of a large cat, it tried it's bset to cause havoc but just wasn't 'up' to the task. Needless to say I was a bit let down after all the pre race discussion.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #84 on: November 22, 2013, 03:22:00 PM
Mike McElveen

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »

James-O, I want to take this rather public opportunity to compliment you not only on your phenomenal TD ride this year, but on your post-race re-cap.  I placed a link to it on my post-tour re-cap last month, presenting it as the best overview of the Great Divide I'd read.  It was personal without being self-centered, instructive, and very well written.  I appreciated your approach to the race and hope I could do it that way. 

Since discovering this forum only recently I haven't had a chance to go back and read everything, but I have made time to go back and read most of your posts.  They are consistently thoughtful and informative and I appreciate you taking the time to share.  Were I to ever race the TD my "dream" prep would be to visit you and Kent Davidson, a racer of my vintage who also had a phenomenal race this year.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #85 on: November 22, 2013, 07:02:46 PM
pablito

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2013, 07:02:46 PM »

The night I abandoned the Tour Divide, I sat in a hotel brooding. As I sat there feeling a bit sorry for myself, a little voice in my head said "take this opportunity to learn...you'll be back." So I spent the next couple of hours reviewing my 5 short days on the Divide. This is the list I wrote on the little hotel stationary. Some items on the list may not make any sense to anyone. Some are so obvious, that I'm embarrassed to even display them. Maybe they can help someone else prepare. For me, it will hopefully make the difference in finishing next year what I started.

Avoid hotels as much as possible
Take less stuff.
Ride my own race. Partnering up is nice but not necessary.
One base layer only
More music.
More photos.
Less video.
Bring one multipurpose top (wind/water resistant) for under rain jacket.
Mole skin or nuskin on nipples from the start
Chamois Cream is questionable
Keep stuff in separate bags for ease of use
No pocket on the front of the sweet roll
No frame bag.
Wash your new bibs a few times before riding.
Love the probar chews with caffeine.
Buy a Brooks saddle...or maybe a Selle Anatomica
Carry two 1L bottles only
Charge electronics with Dynamo hub
Less gagets total
The small Garmin Edge 500 was always off from mileage
Don't worry about queues
Stretch as often as possible
Don't over eat at any one meal. Small amounts, save the rest for later. Especially breakfast
Find and keep the bike fit that works. Train on it for months without moving
Drop bars
Rain jacket is essential. Rain pants are not necessary. Wet and warm.
Make it past Sparwood the first night
Use smaller/simpler bivy sack
Add meaningful waypoints to GAIA
No water bottle under the downtube, unless its totally secured.
Apply A&D each night
Wash crotch each night with medicated wipes
Don't go into a warm building and eat unless I am stopping for the night. CHILLS!!!
Put insulated jacket and hat on immediately upon stopping at night
Dont' store stuff in mesh handlebar feed pockets
Use handlebar bags for food and not water
Use Gatorage or smart water bottle in jersey pocket for backup
Don't drink too much sports drink to avoid canker sores
Riding into the night is a good thing
Don't worry about riding with anyone. Alone is good.
Only buy what you need at stores that can either be eaten or carried easily
Fit everything in vischasha and sweetroll for gear.
1 x 11 worked flawlessly

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #86 on: November 22, 2013, 08:00:27 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2013, 08:00:27 PM »

Awesome Post Pablito!!!
I had a little notebook that I wrote down all kinds of similar post Divide Thoughts, been meaning to find that little bugger
Thanks for sharing, nothing is too obvious, it all makes a difference
Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #87 on: November 22, 2013, 08:17:04 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2013, 08:17:04 PM »

pablito, I am curious -had you done any 3+ selfsupported races or technical practice rides prior to your TDR? Reason I ask is most of your list is exactly what comes out of ones first 2-3 self supported rides
Of course everyone list is slightly different but yours makes a excellent case study
There is a self supported 'skill set' that only reveals  itself to those who are willing to pay the price of doing it for real
I suspect you now have that skill set-- best of luck next time you line up in Banff

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #88 on: November 22, 2013, 08:42:31 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2013, 08:42:31 PM »

Got it, thanks for the reply james-o, that's about my method of operation here in Colorado when it happens(minus the bear spray), I'll stick to that and hope for the best.
For the record: I have no TD experience to speak from, but I have had some experiences with dogs while riding.

Bear spray will definitely work on dogs too.  But bear spray is expensive and you'd hate to have wasted it on a dog when you need it for a bear.  You can even buy the very small personal sized pepper spray intended to be used as personal protection against humans, (it's less concentrated than bear spray).  They are less expensive, could be easily stored in a jersey pocket and these small aerosol cans would probably work fine to discourage an angry dog.  

What I've done in the past is spray the approaching dog in the face with my water bottle.  It's quick, easy and doesn't require finding and wasting your pepper spray.  This has worked well for me in numerous dog encounters.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:58:58 PM by JRA » Logged

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #89 on: November 22, 2013, 08:49:08 PM
pablito

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2013, 08:49:08 PM »

Marshal, I had done several multi day practice runs. But they say "you pack your fears". I apparently was scared enough of several things to just take too much. No regrets though other than the fit issue (the straw). That is resolved. The rest is just going to make it more comfortable and hopefully more efficient...translating into a faster and sure finish in 2014.

pablito, I am curious -had you done any 3+ selfsupported races or technical practice rides prior to your TDR? Reason I ask is most of your list is exactly what comes out of ones first 2-3 self supported rides
Of course everyone list is slightly different but yours makes a excellent case study
There is a self supported 'skill set' that only reveals  itself to those who are willing to pay the price of doing it for real
I suspect you now have that skill set-- best of luck next time you line up in Banff

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:36:03 AM by pablito » Logged

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #90 on: November 23, 2013, 01:34:47 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2013, 01:34:47 AM »

Mike, thanks - very complimentary, appreciated. So much of what I learned for the race was on here so it's recycled knowledge and attitudes really. Just find the ones that fit with what you want your race to be. In return I'd thank Mathewsen / Matt Lee for his posts going back a few years and the posters in the 2009/2010 thread I linked to above. Reading Matt's posts on Divide racing attitudes confirmed how I wanted to do things. (and you'd always be welcome if you do that prep trip!)

Pablito, that's a very useful list to have got down at the time, good post. All I can add is 'make sure your Spot is tied on'! Use some proper tarp cord and knot it to your seat rail as a safety leash. I thought I was pretty well prepared for the TD but I still had a list of lessons in my mind post-race, things I would only have learned by going that far in a short space of time. Mainly personal set-up things, stuff that others do that I thought 'nah, this is fine for me..' etc. The main point is that things that work fine over 3, 5 or even 10-12 days on the bike may not be ok over nearly 3 weeks, obvious perhaps but strongly re-enforced by my experience. Be sure you have room to get more comfy still as needed- add that layer of bar tape that seems ott in training rides, have room to raise your bar 10mm if needed, be able to run your tyres 5psi lower than you usually do etc.

One very good tip I was given when talking to Mike Hall before the start - set your saddle lower than normal to avoid 'ankling' - that roadie supplese that I see as good technique may be the root of so many achilles problems. My mtb saddle is lower than my road bike anyway, but when I felt twinges in that area I remembered his comment and pedaled flat-footed like I was a novice rider with a fused ankle. There was certainly strain down there at times and I felt twinges for months after but I avoided any race-ending damage.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:44:03 AM by james-o » Logged

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #91 on: November 23, 2013, 01:59:00 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2013, 01:59:00 AM »

Mike, I looked up your CGOAB pages, wonderful pics (we missed most of those views in Canada due to low cloud) and I think your own re-cap is worth a read by everyone preparing for the '14 edition. The mental aspect of the preparation paragraph in particular. Hope you don't mind me linking a page here - http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=347845&v=2d
Bookmarked for a full read with a cuppa after today's road ride : )

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #92 on: November 23, 2013, 09:09:32 AM
chainagent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2013, 09:09:32 AM »

I did find it a bit disconcerting to see that there have been dog maulings in New Mexico that ended in broken ribs, etc. In recent years has the dog situation changed at all?

Hi,

Read this: http://mgtd2013.blogspot.de/2013_07_01_archive.html (Day 23 to Grants) ... and no the dog problem didn't change at all. I had the same concerns before the race like you and on this day it became true.

Kind regards

Michael

My Tour Divide 2013 Blog: http://mgtd2013.blogspot.de/

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #93 on: November 23, 2013, 09:34:52 AM
pablito

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2013, 09:34:52 AM »

james-o, Thanks for the post. I had my Spot in a little Spocket from Eric at Relevate. It seemed fine. But 5 days wasn't enough to really know. Love the advise of the saddle height and comfort. Internalizing...now. Thanks!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #94 on: November 23, 2013, 10:30:12 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »

Michael, really enjoying your blog, a great read - great pictures too. I missed taking any in that amazing last desert stretch before Separ and I passed through it the same time of day. And I know how you felt when seeing the AW sign..

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #95 on: November 25, 2013, 10:23:36 AM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2013, 10:23:36 AM »

Thanks for the response re: dogs Michael, I, too, am enjoying reading your blog.  thumbsup

In regards to SPOT trackers, I've seen reference in many threads that there are, or at least were, some available for use without having to buy our own. Obviously TD keeps growing and I was wondering if they are still available as loaners or whether it's necessary to buy our own at this point. If it is necessary to buy our own, which model is the accepted best or required model if any are? Thanks in advance.

--Rocky Balboa

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #96 on: November 30, 2013, 05:18:14 PM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »

Rookie question: for those who live & train in the lowlands (I'm in Phoenix, below 2k ft), how are you training for the elevation?  Banff is around 5k ft above sea level, and then you climb climb climb.  To those who have gone before, how did the elevation impact your TD?  In light of your experience, how would you change your training?  Or would you change anything?

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #97 on: November 30, 2013, 05:21:26 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »

Rookie question: for those who live & train in the lowlands (I'm in Phoenix, below 2k ft), how are you training for the elevation?  Banff is around 5k ft above sea level, and then you climb climb climb.  To those who have gone before, how did the elevation impact your TD?  In light of your experience, how would you change your training?  Or would you change anything?

I'm at 1,200 feet and I didn't notice much effect from the 6,000 - 7,000 foot stuff at the beginning of the race.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #98 on: November 30, 2013, 06:24:39 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2013, 06:24:39 PM »

Day two has some relatively steep grades that can stress your fitness—but all in all the TDR gradients are mild.  Due to the mild grades I think altitude isn’t really an issue.  If you are fit all one needs to do is adjust / use an appropriate pace.  IE: listen to your body and ignore your speed.
Remember oxygen content is the same for everyone, so all your competitors must also pick the pace best for their inherent capability and current fitness level.

Personally I think the length or duration of the big climbs is a much greater factor than altitude per say. 
Due to the ‘length’ of the TDR and the sustained climbing, I feel optimizing your pace coupled with calorie/liquid intake is how one best maximizes their personal capabilities’-- vs some type of training routine that specifically attempts to account for altitude.

(not to say training for altitude is wrong, but just not that big of a factor in the end)

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #99 on: November 30, 2013, 07:43:33 PM
groundedkiwi

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2013, 07:43:33 PM »

DeePee I live in Phoenix too.  Just do a couple of rides along the Mogollon Rim come spring time, you'll be fine. Maybe a run or two to Flagstaff and back.  That's what I did. As others has said, nothing too substantial elevation wise until you're quite some distance into the race.
  Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: