Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 58
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #640 on: April 13, 2014, 04:16:17 PM
JeffOYB

bikes, boats, skis... outdoor lore & more!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: April 13, 2014, 04:16:17 PM »

I'm just playing catchup and wondering if I've missed a new active website or blog summary of the race.

The .org main site is still dead.

Or do we just watch the blue dots and wing it?

Anywhere consolidating stories and info? Just this thread? I suppose it'll be good enuf, esp if it's all we have.

Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
hq for indie outdoor culture & homestyle adventure
2000+ articles ... online 20+ years!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #641 on: April 13, 2014, 06:16:35 PM
TearFilter

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 13, 2014, 06:16:35 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm excited to finally be able to announce that I will be starting in Banff with everyone heading south regardless of the snow situation. Thanks to everyone who has shared their wisdom on this forum it has helped a lot. 
Ride safe

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #642 on: April 13, 2014, 06:18:19 PM
JeffOYB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: April 13, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »

So, what's the start date? Is there an HQ website with this kind of info?

Jeff Potter

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #643 on: April 13, 2014, 06:18:55 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #643 on: April 13, 2014, 06:18:55 PM »

start is June 13th

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #644 on: April 13, 2014, 06:26:47 PM
JeffOYB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: April 13, 2014, 06:26:47 PM »

Where did you find that out? (How does anyone/everyone find it?)

Any link to a homepage for the TD'14...? I must be blind, but I've been googling awhile. Just keep running into the dead main site. Any idea why it's been left for dead? Odd to have a main domain like that for a big deal like this. Must be monkey bizness. Actually, it's the first time I've seen that. Some squabble? It's the only thing I can imagine.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:00:21 PM by JeffOYB » Logged

Jeff Potter

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #645 on: April 13, 2014, 07:12:31 PM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: April 13, 2014, 07:12:31 PM »

Where did you find that out? (How does anyone/everyone find it?)

excerpt from TDR Website:

"Divide racing may be challenged at any time, however, TD emphasis is on a 2nd Friday in June (southbound) 'grand départ'."

This would mean June 13th this year.... Friday the 13th no less.

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #646 on: April 13, 2014, 07:25:41 PM
JeffOYB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #646 on: April 13, 2014, 07:25:41 PM »

On the dead homepage linked to above I see this:

Rule #2: "    When:  All summer long...however, an informal common start date known as the 'grand depart' traditionally kicks off the season 2nd week of June from both termini."

I don't see any mention of Friday.

So how does everyone have this all figured out except for me?

Oh, I see it now, near the bottom. I did a websearch of the page for "Friday." Is THAT how everyone knows it's Friday? Tricky!

Is "anti PR" part of TD charm? Could be!

Jeff Potter

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #647 on: April 13, 2014, 07:47:18 PM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: April 13, 2014, 07:47:18 PM »

It will not be on the maps until next year.  It's in Mike McCoy's new book and SHOULD be in the addenda before too long.

Ok, that makes sense. I compared the GPX file from last year (also the same as 2012) and it looks to match the current maps (including addenda).

I think that the snow is going to be a non issue this year. Sure there will be snow hiking, but there's less than HALF the snow that there was in 2011 (the year of the reroute). And, the snow pack looks pretty comparable to last year and other years.

I say we just plan to have at it with the course as it stands. First one to Mexico wins.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #648 on: April 13, 2014, 08:00:33 PM
cobbnat

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 13, 2014, 08:00:33 PM »

I think that the snow is going to be a non issue this year. Sure there will be snow hiking, but there's less than HALF the snow that there was in 2011 (the year of the reroute). And, the snow pack looks pretty comparable to last year and other years.

I was just up skiing in Banff/Revelstoke region; lots of snow but about the same as last year at this time. New Mexico, on the other hand, is bone-dry and getting drier. We still have a few trees left to burn, so expect more forest fire detours.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #649 on: April 13, 2014, 08:26:58 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 13, 2014, 08:26:58 PM »

Is "anti PR" part of TD charm? Could be!

"anti PR" is a necessity to avoid costly permitting with multiple agencies along the route, starting with Parks Canada.  So long as we are just a bunch of folks agreeing to all ride at a certain time there shouldn't be a problem, but if an "organizer" steps forward, that person will have to take on all that responsibility and expense.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #650 on: April 13, 2014, 10:44:25 PM
TearFilter

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 13, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »

From the TD web sight...
"GPS navigators are permitted but non-essential. SPOT GPS trackers are strongly recommended but not required. Mobile phones are also permitted"
"Online GPS tracking is also not intended to ensure rider safety. It is for info-only, and validation of course compliance"
I'm confused if we need to be bringing a GPS device to prove that we are following the course or if there is some other way to prove that we followed the course.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #651 on: April 14, 2014, 04:58:19 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 14, 2014, 04:58:19 AM »

From the TD web sight...
"GPS navigators are permitted but non-essential. SPOT GPS trackers are strongly recommended but not required. Mobile phones are also permitted"
"Online GPS tracking is also not intended to ensure rider safety. It is for info-only, and validation of course compliance"
I'm confused if we need to be bringing a GPS device to prove that we are following the course or if there is some other way to prove that we followed the course.

GPS tracks or a Spot tracker are required for ITT but not for Grand Depart riders.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #652 on: April 14, 2014, 05:09:41 AM
JeffOYB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: April 14, 2014, 05:09:41 AM »

So do you think the need to avoid "an organizer" is why there's no centralized-ish place for current info, reports and such?

I'm just curious about that. Seems like it might be a good reason.

Still, it seems like a main site could be set up anonymously and posted-to, maintained communally. Maybe?

But if there's a desired limit of, say, 100 participants / season and maybe a couple hundred spectators then maybe we're already there and no more PR awareness is desired.

Also, this forum thread isn't without its charm.

Jeff Potter

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #653 on: April 14, 2014, 09:10:00 AM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: April 14, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »

I think maybe you guys are missing the "spirit of the race" a bit.

Do you remember when you were riding your bike as a kid, you'd give your friend that 'look' and say, "Race you to the light pole"?

This is exactly like that.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #654 on: April 14, 2014, 09:21:51 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 14, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »

Do you remember when you were riding your bike as a kid, you'd give your friend that 'look' and say, "Race you to the light pole"?

I agree.  However, the thing that makes it different is that the Tour Divide has some very specific rules, like you cannot loan your pump to another racer or give them an energy bar.  You cannot be transported forward on the route to get a mechanical fixed even if you return to the same place to resume your race. You have to ride the Gold Dust Trail SB even though it is off the GDMBR.  Your spouse or friends are not allowed to travel to the route to watch you.  Of course, as I've said before, I am not sure what "relegation" means if no results are posted. so maybe all of this is a moot point.

For myself, I'm following the "official rules" with a few additions of my own that I feel I need to make the experience valid for me.

Best of luck to everyone!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #655 on: April 14, 2014, 09:33:31 AM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: April 14, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »

I agree.  However, the thing that makes it different is that the Tour Divide has some very specific rules, like you cannot loan your pump to another racer or give them an energy bar.  You cannot be transported forward on the route to get a mechanical fixed even if you return to the same place to resume your race. You have to ride the Gold Dust Trail SB even though it is off the GDMBR.  Your spouse or friends are not allowed to travel to the route to watch you.  Of course, as I've said before, I am not sure what "relegation" means if no results are posted. so maybe all of this is a moot point.

For myself, I'm following the "official rules" with a few additions of my own that I feel I need to make the experience valid for me.

Best of luck to everyone!

My apologies, I was referring to the need for an organizer and website, etc.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #656 on: April 14, 2014, 10:16:52 AM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 14, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »

I totally agree with this comment,  and I wish I was part of the "race to the light pole" crowd.   But I think that some of the people (well, I'll only speak for myself ) participating are going to be "... wow.... if I can make it to the light post that is going to be an amazing accomplishment".  Some of the history and rules and other "baggage" are a mystery to me, and I simply accept them because I know they are connected to the "race".   When people ask me about the "Tour Divide" I always stress that I'm a participant and  my first goal is to finish.

I don't mean for that to take away at all any of the things that are associated with this being a 'race'.   But from a participant point of view,  and I really do believe that many of the folks on that spreadsheet will be simply trying to finish , some things are a bit mysterious...

I'll be trying to be the last one out of the parking lot on  June 13, and then see what happens as I head south!

All those racing to the light pole,  I wish them the best and sincerely applaud their efforts.  But this experience will definitely not be a race for me.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #657 on: April 14, 2014, 10:23:50 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #657 on: April 14, 2014, 10:23:50 AM »

One key thing about racing to the "light pole", especially when the light pole is 2700 miles away and can not actually be seen is to be sure we all race the same race, the same route. That is my concern about having no one "organizing" the race. Maybe that is why there is no one at the helm as the past few years have been rather chaotic with reroutes, mid race route changes, etc, turns into a lot of work, stress for someone making no money at all....

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #658 on: April 14, 2014, 10:30:29 AM
JeffOYB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #658 on: April 14, 2014, 10:30:29 AM »

I disagree that a website goes against the spirit. This event by whatever name (race or not a race or not a certain kind of race) isn't averse to stories and fans.

I note that I never said anything about wanting or having an organizer. I agree that there is no need for one in this context. One could materialize if ever needed, allowed, etc.

I did speculate that maybe the website was stopped for that reason. I have no idea if a website could be done as a place for news/stories without an "organizer" label being legally applied on it whether it wants it or not. Or if it really does bring bad attention to it. I know it definitely brings GOOD attention but maybe the tag-along negs offset that.

It all depends on the goals. If the goal is fewer racers and fans, that could likely be achieved. But the spirit of "race to the lightpole" isn't necessarily snuffed when more people do something or know about it.

Numbers can be a problem totally apart from the spirit of the thing.

I'd love to share my secret powder skiing stashes with more people but it just doesn't work like that... : )

Jeff Potter

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #659 on: April 14, 2014, 10:40:24 AM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: April 14, 2014, 10:40:24 AM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be a little p.o.'d if I had a flat and a busted pump and everyone sped by citing "sorry dude, rules!"  That's just a little dick-ish. I would have no problem lending my pump, and I hope that others would do the same for me. Obviously we are all "unsupported" and self-reliant, but that doesn't mean we have to be dicks. (Not that I'm accusing anyone, just my two cents). After all, one could cite riding together as a form of emotional support because it alleviates homesickness, etc. It's a fine line, I get it, that just seems rather cruel to me. But, there's probably a different mentality among the front of the pack to the back. I hope to be somewhere in the middle.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: